Jack Johnson-most laid back rock star in history?

2»

Comments

• I guess you're just going to ignore the fact that you don't know what the hell you were talking about in regard to DMB? Any ear that can't pick up the differences between studio albums isn't one I would trust its logic when it calls music "boring".

acoustic guitar. saxophone. fiddle

yeah, i get it.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    what the hell is there not to like about jack johnson. its just chill, feel good music. "anti-road rage records" as mr. vedder says.

soulless filth
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    bharQ wrote:
    soulless filth
    Qft
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    Did anyone see the SNL skit making fun of JJ last night??? It wasn't super funny, but it had it's moments.

It was Jack hosting a little talk show with guests Dave Matthews & John Mayer......they were all talking about how mellow they all are.
    My lips are shaking.......
    macci wrote:
    Did anyone see the SNL skit making fun of JJ last night??? It wasn't super funny, but it had it's moments.

It was Jack hosting a little talk show with guests Dave Matthews & John Mayer......they were all talking about how mellow they all are.
    /thread
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • SNL: for all your music criticism needs. :rolleyes:
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    So says Rolling Stone. One could quibble over if the term rock star could be used to describe his sound or his image, but its an interesting statement and assertion.
    Is he indeed the most mellow and laid back musician ever?

I'm gonna go with Iggy Pop...
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
    release30 wrote:
    I'm gonna go with Iggy Pop...
    yeah, the vocals on Raw Power are pretty chill.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Again, I have reason to ask on this board "since when the fuck did not settling for mediocrity make you a snob?"

Saying any form of music that you don't care for is "mediocre" is what makes you a music snob.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    What a vague statement. I wonder who is most well groomed? Or, better yet, who's the most sincere? That should be so easy to narrow down.

I think he's the most badass laid back rock star. :D
  • So says Rolling Stone. One could quibble over if the term rock star could be used to describe his sound or his image, but its an interesting statement and assertion.
    Is he indeed the most mellow and laid back musician ever?

I do not like him, the curious george soundtrack was cute but thats not rock and roll to me.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Oxxys wrote:
    Jack Johnson fucken sucks.................end of thread

good thing this guy can spell
    Kansas City 1998, Kansas City 2000, EV- Santa Cruz 2008, EV- Berkeley #1 2008, EV- Berkeley #2 2008, Outside Lands 2009, Seattle #2 2009, Portland 2009, LA #3 2009, LA #4 2009, SD 2009, KC 2010, STL 2010, CBUS 2010, Indy 2010, Cle 2010, Buffalo 2010, Boston 2010, Newark 2010, MSG 1 2010, MSG 2 2010, PJ20 1 2011, PJ20 2 2011, Midtown 2012, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013, OKC 2013, STL 2014, Tulsa 2014, Lincoln 2014.
  • Saying any form of music that you don't care for is "mediocre" is what makes you a music snob.

but in this case the music IS mediocre.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • tchiggs wrote:
    good thing this guy can spell

come on, whats next, he has to take an english test before he gets his ten club tickets.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
    Saying any form of music that you don't care for is "mediocre" is what makes you a music snob.
    It's not the "form" of music that bothers me, it's his specific, bland take on it, completely lacking vitality and anything to hold my interest.

You know what I consider snobbery? People who are unable to accept that maybe the music they are enjoying is actually crap because they are too arrogant, and that music can be objectively bad.
  • zacman13245zacman13245 Posts: 294
    Jacks pretty chill and laid back, but I would be to if I lived in Hawaii and surfed everyday...
    I'm spinning, oh, I'm spinning

6/30/2008 - Mansfield, MA.
    5/17/2010 - Boston, MA
    9/3/2011 - East Troy, WI (PJ20)
    9/4/2011 - East Troy, WI (PJ20)
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    macci wrote:

pretty ironic that they show a skit like that and we're talking about it right now.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    It's not the "form" of music that bothers me, it's his specific, bland take on it, completely lacking vitality and anything to hold my interest.

You know what I consider snobbery? People who are unable to accept that maybe the music they are enjoying is actually crap because they are too arrogant, and that music can be objectively bad.

Okay... but who made you Professor of Music?
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    Okay... but who made you Professor of Music?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_College_of_Music

but no, seriously, music is all about opinions. What the assholes who call people a snob because they express a negative opinion about a certain artist don't realise is that their opinion is no more relevant. I am no more wrong in saying that Jack Johnson is shit than you are in saying he is not. I resent being called a snob because I think Jack Johnson is shit. I like Fall Out Boy. Would a snob say that? I happen to think I have listened to enough music, good and bad, to form a relevant opinion.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_College_of_Music

but no, seriously, music is all about opinions. What the assholes who call people a snob because they express a negative opinion about a certain artist don't realise is that their opinion is no more relevant. I am no more wrong in saying that Jack Johnson is shit than you are in saying he is not. I resent being called a snob because I think Jack Johnson is shit. I like Fall Out Boy. Would a snob say that? I happen to think I have listened to enough music, good and bad, to form a relevant opinion.

That's all well and good, but it's not really what you said. You said music can be objectively bad, which was clearly in reference to Jack Johnson. Maybe you were exaggerating for effect, but it made you sound like a snob. Not saying you are one, just saying it kinda came off that way.
    That's all well and good, but it's not really what you said. You said music can be objectively bad, which was clearly in reference to Jack Johnson. Maybe you were exaggerating for effect, but it made you sound like a snob. Not saying you are one, just saying it kinda came off that way.
    Of course I was exaggerating for effect. I was being the snob that I was labelled and responding in turn about what I consider snobbery. I can see why some people enjoy Jack Johnson, I just can't get into their shoes at all. There is NOTHING there that appeals to me. I love chilled out music but I like a little substance.

And for the record, music CAN be objectively bad. Show me an intelligent being that appreciates more than 1% of the music on this list and I will show you a liar.

http://rateyourmusic.com/charts/bottom/album/all-time
  • I think he's okay in himself, but he's had a deleterious effect on a million open mic sessions.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I think he's okay in himself, but he's had a deleterious effect on a million open mic sessions.

Now there's something in this thread I can agree with.
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Jack Johnson is indeed a star as he has reached some level of popularity and name recognition, but I like to think of him more as an Adult-Contemporary Star than a Rock Star.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    yeah, I don't really see Jack as a "rock star" by any means. He makes laid back music that I happen to enjoy and have since his early days. Having said that, I don't "rock out" to JJ, more of a lazy Sunday type of flow for me. It's all about what mood I'm in.