Jack Johnson-most laid back rock star in history?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited April 2008 in Other Music
So says Rolling Stone. One could quibble over if the term rock star could be used to describe his sound or his image, but its an interesting statement and assertion.
Is he indeed the most mellow and laid back musician ever?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Since Rolling Stone has been irrelevant since about 1972, I would argue that he is not. By default.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    Jack Johnson = Garbage

I am sorry, but i'm not a fan of college surfer fan boy music
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
    he is right up there with John Mayer and Dave Mathews

I mean these guys are all talented, but the music just doesn't appeal to me
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Oxxys wrote:
    Jack Johnson = Garbage

what the hell is there not to like about jack johnson. its just chill, feel good music. "anti-road rage records" as mr. vedder says.
    what the hell is there not to like about jack johnson. its just chill, feel good music. "anti-road rage records" as mr. vedder says.
    There is chilled music and then there is shallow, inconsequential music.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jack Johnson is dull. Boring and dull. And no... I don't mean quiet, laid back and 'ambient'.. I mean lifeless.

He might just be the most boring rockstar in history.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    There is chilled music and then there is shallow, inconsequential music.

give an example of what you think is chilled music, then explain to me how jack johnson is shallow.
    Jack Johnson fucken sucks.................end of thread
  • give an example of what you think is chilled music, then explain to me how jack johnson is shallow.

So if you don't like Jack Johnson, you don't like chilled music?

I'll give you an example of how he's shallow...

'Bla bla bla bla put on the back of a postcard...'

'It's always better when we're together. Oooh, yeah, it's always better when we're together-er-er-er'
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

So if you don't like Jack Johnson, you don't like chilled music?

I'll give you an example of how he's shallow...

'Bla bla bla bla put on the back of a postcard...'

'It's always better when we're together. Oooh, yeah, it's always better when we're together-er-er-er'

no, i never said that. im just curious as to what you think is chill music if you dont think jack is.
  • no, i never said that. im just curious as to what you think is chill music if you dont think jack is.

I don't think he was saying Jack isn't chill music, but that chill music does not always equal good music.. You can have shitty chill music and that = Jack Johnson.

give an example of what you think is chilled music, then explain to me how jack johnson is shallow.
    http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/port_royal/flares/

Jack Johnson's music is so one-dimensional. Every review or word written about him consists of the same adjectives - 'breezy', 'chilled', 'laid-back'.
  • Is he indeed the most mellow and laid back musician ever?

i think Jimmy Buffett or Sammy Haggar long laid claim to that throne.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    If I wanted chilled I'd rather to listen to something like Bert Jansch than Jack Johnson.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Oxxys wrote:
    he is right up there with John Mayer and Dave Mathews

I mean these guys are all talented, but the music just doesn't appeal to me

Hold on hold on...how can you compare these guys? because mayer played a few songs on acoustic? because Dave plays acoustic? listen to a live Mayer or Matthews show and tell me they are similar....
  • Hold on hold on...how can you compare these guys? because mayer played a few songs on acoustic? because Dave plays acoustic? listen to a live Mayer or Matthews show and tell me they are similar....

similar in their boringness
  • Oxxys wrote:
    Jack Johnson = Garbage

I am neither in college or a surfer. I like his music though.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • similar in their boringness
    that's a shame you're missing out on two great musicians in Mayer and Matthews
  • that's a shame you're missing out on two great musicians in Mayer and Matthews

Mayer is fine.

But Dave Matthews hasn't done anything different since Under The Table and Dreaming.

and i sure as hell am not paying 60 bucks a ticket to watch them play 9 songs jamed out unnecessarily long while i have to be surrounded by a bunch of beer swilling fratboys screaming "daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave!" at the top of their lungs every 5 seconds.
    Mayer is fine.

But Dave Matthews hasn't done anything different since Under The Table and Dreaming.

and i sure as hell am not paying 60 bucks a ticket to watch them play 9 songs jamed out unnecessarily long while i have to be surrounded by a bunch of beer swilling fratboys screaming "daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave!" at the top of their lungs every 5 seconds.

mayer is one of the best young guitarists on the planet. unless you have actually seem him play, you shouldn't judge him. definitely dont base your judgements of him on his early poppy songs.
  • Mayer is fine.

9 songs? They played 20 when I saw them last year here in SD...

As far as the frat boy daaaaaave comment...aren't those same people at PJ shows just older yelling eddddddddddiiiiiieeee???
  • 9 songs? They played 20 when I saw them last year here in SD...

As far as the frat boy daaaaaave comment...aren't those same people at PJ shows just older yelling eddddddddddiiiiiieeee???

ed doesn't really get more than stone, mike, or boom. they all get equal treatment

(jeff always seems to get ignored for some reason. poor guy)
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Mayer is fine.

Dave hasn't done anything different since Under The Table? Are you fucking kidding me? That is possibly the most un-informed post I have ever seen on here. You don't have to like the music (I can't say I am much of a fan), but it's clear you haven't heard a damn album by them. Before These Crowded Streets, Everyday, Busted Stuff, and Stand Up don't sound ANYTHING like eachother.

This thread of some elitist fucking snobs that's for sure. Jack Johnson is a talented artist that isn't everyones cup of tea.
    ed doesn't really get more than stone, mike, or boom. they all get equal treatment

(jeff always seems to get ignored for some reason. poor guy)

Really? I hear the "Eddie, Eddie, Eddie" chant during every encore at a Pearl Jam show.

• This thread of some elitist fucking snobs that's for sure.

elitist snobs would be toting out the names of bands from england right now.

the people in this thread just basically hate boring crap.

Jack Johnson is a talented artist that isn't everyones cup of tea.

some people definitely like their tea watered down. haha

A lot of people (including me) don't find him boring at all. But I guess if my ears were muffled because I had my head so far up my own ass, I would take the music snob approach too.

I guess you're just going to ignore the fact that you don't know what the hell you were talking about in regard to DMB? Any ear that can't pick up the differences between studio albums isn't one I would trust its logic when it calls music "boring".
    A lot of people (including me) don't find him boring at all. But I guess if my ears were muffled because I had my head so far up my own ass, I would take the music snob approach too.
    Again, I have reason to ask on this board "since when the fuck did not settling for mediocrity make you a snob?"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Again, I have reason to ask on this board "since when the fuck did not settling for mediocrity make you a snob?"

LOL I was going to say I like this post but then I realised it was mostly because I like the phrase 'when the fuck' :D

LOL I was going to say I like this post but then I realised it was mostly because I like the phrase 'when the fuck' :D
    I know. The grammar was a little clumsy to be honest but I couldn't resist emphasising my point using my favourite word.