Best Instrumental music

2»

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Try these albums:

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
    John Coltrane - Ascension
    John Coltrane - Interstellar Space
    Frank Zappa - Hot Rats (Captain Beefheart does sing on Willie the Pimp, though)
    all incredible albums. Interstellar Space is mindblowing. I swear to god some of those sax runs from trane last minutes without pause for breath.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Liquid Tension Experiment are an awesome instrumental band.

oh, hell yes.

pick up both CDs by LTE and prepare to be blown away.
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Try these albums:

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
    John Coltrane - Ascension
    John Coltrane - Interstellar Space
    Frank Zappa - Hot Rats (Captain Beefheart does sing on Willie the Pimp, though)

Or this clip, to blast you into the furthest reaches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJKnDtRf3Vs

Which is the best out of the Coltrane albums? I need to start expanding on my Coltrane collection.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Its already been mentioned but Frank Zappa's Hot Rats is an incredible instrumental album - there are very limited vocals on Willie the Pimp, but it has about 8 minutes of amazing instrumental. Anything else by Zappa is great to - his various guitar albums, the grand wazoo, etc . . . .

somehting that has not been mentioned yet is an album called Population Override by Buckethead. Buckethead is an amazing guitarist, and IMo this is his best album.

As far as an individual song goes i would say the greatest rock instrumental of all time would either be Edgar Winter's Frankenstein or Rush's YYZ - Rush has put out some amazing instrumentals and overtures to various songs (la villa strangiato is incredible as well as the few off their new album).
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    mole1985 wrote:
    Which is the best out of the Coltrane albums? I need to start expanding on my Coltrane collection.

My favorites:

Coltrane & Cannonball
    Blue Trane
    The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings
    A Love Supreme
    Live at Birdland

and of course his work w/ Miles, including, duh, Kind Of Blue.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    If you are looking for just crazy musicianship, have you listened to any fusion jazz?

Mahavishnu Orchestra - "Inner Mounting Flame", "Birds Of Fire"
    Billy Cobham - "Spectrum", "A Funky Thide Of Sings"
    Vital Tech Tones - "VTT2"
    Lenny White - "Venusian Summer"
    Larry Coryell - "Introducing The Eleventh House"
    Miles Davis - "A Tribute To Jack Johnson" or try the Isle of Wight DVD called "Electric Blue"
    John MacLaughlin - "Devotion"
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Little Wing by SRV (Originally Hendrix)
    So What by Miles Davies
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • another great and relatively unknown instrumental album is an evening with john petrucci and jordan rudess. If you like Dream Theater or LTE then check this out - just guitar and piano but its amazing.

• oh, hell yes.

pick up both CDs by LTE and prepare to be blown away.

I'm glad someone else acknowledged them, the first album is a lot better than the second in my opinion but, if you are just looking for songs

off of LTE 1 : Paradigm Shift, Universal Mind are the top 2 and than off LTE 2 go for Acid Raid and Hourglass
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,219
    DOSW wrote:
    What kind of music is Explosions in the Sky? I hear a lot about them, but I have no idea who they are. Is it rock, metal, or what?

Oh by the way, ISIS is really really good. Most of their music is instrumental.

ISIS are incredible on album and even more amazing live. Not fully instrumental, but just a fantastic band.
  • I'm glad someone else acknowledged them, the first album is a lot better than the second in my opinion but, if you are just looking for songs

off of LTE 1 : Paradigm Shift, Universal Mind are the top 2 and than off LTE 2 go for Acid Raid and Hourglass

i think state of grace is their best song - different for them but it shows that you dont have to play fast in order to create an incredible guitar sound. I think its better however on an evening with Jp and JR

• mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Kind of Blue by Miles Davis is amazing if you like your jazz.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    mole1985 wrote:
    A Love Supreme is pretty much essential. along with Miles' Kind of Blue it is pretty much THE jazz album.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Mogwai and Explosions in the sky are, I believe, called Post - Rock.

They're both incredible though.
    "Who did you say you were, replacing might for miracles?" - ajc
  • These have already been mentioned, but they deserve to be repeated.
    ISIS
    Mono
    Explosions in the Sky
    Godpseed you Black Emperor
    MOGWAI
    Red Sparowes (members of isis and neurosis)

Less known:
    If These Trees Could Talk
    Shels - *Sea of the Dying Dhow*
    Russian Circles
    Tortoise
    Jakob

Buckethead - Population Override (This is funky, bluesy masterpiece)
    Buckethead - Colma (Acoustic, Very chill)
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    i'll agree to most that have been mentioned and add:

the dirty three

that is, if you don't mind some violin with your guitar and drums

edit - 1000th post. i am finally given to fly.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    i have a live show of Mogwai on my computer, was at a place called the Gothic Theatre which i think is in Colorado in the US. Hands down the best live recording ive ever heard, would so love to see one of their shows.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • check out
    jeff beck doing "a day in the life" (beatles for u youngsters ; ) on youtube
    just a beautifull cover
    and it looks just effortless
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd