Best Instrumental music

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited September 2007 in Other Music
whats the cream of the crop in terms of instrumental music?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,219
    My favorites:

Pelican
    Red Sparowes
    Explosions In The Sky
  • Liquid Tension Experiment are an awesome instrumental band. Also if you are just looking for kickass guitar check Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson.
  • Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow is fantastic
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    What kind of music is Explosions in the Sky? I hear a lot about them, but I have no idea who they are. Is it rock, metal, or what?

Oh by the way, ISIS is really really good. Most of their music is instrumental.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Its already been said but to get the point across.......Explosions in the Sky are FUCKING AMAZING. I have yet to hear a bad song by them. I recommend checking out the Friday Night Lights soundtrack to begin with......they did the soundtrack for the movie.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • DOSW wrote:
    What kind of music is Explosions in the Sky? I hear a lot about them, but I have no idea who they are. Is it rock, metal, or what?

Oh by the way, ISIS is really really good. Most of their music is instrumental.

Its like rock/classical...........just check it out, Ill even give you a couple links

http://youtube.com/watch?v=36U4ez7AzKA
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gd49aT8ypbs
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

Its already been said but to get the point across.......Explosions in the Sky are FUCKING AMAZING. I have yet to hear a bad song by them. I recommend checking out the Friday Night Lights soundtrack to begin with......they did the soundtrack for the movie.

Is their music progressive at all, or more like PJ's instrumentals? When it comes to instrumental music, I prefer it to have a kind of progressive feel to it, kind of like November Hotel from Mad Season or most of Isis's music, like I said above.

[EDIT] Ah, OK, I just saw your second post now. I'll check it out.
  • DOSW wrote:
    Is their music progressive at all, or more like PJ's instrumentals? When it comes to instrumental music, I prefer it to have a kind of progressive feel to it, kind of like November Hotel from Mad Season or most of Isis's music, like I said above.

[EDIT] Ah, OK, I just saw your second post now. I'll check it out.

If you dont like the songs in the links.........there really isnt any reason to check out anything else by them. I think you will like them though, havent met anybody yet that hasnt.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow is fantastic
    that is my favorite guitar record. Beck is just a monster.

However today?

Pelican. I also love Explosions however I like my instrumentals with a metal kick.

Now, if I could grab anybody and sit them down to listen to my CD of choice, right now, it would be (it is my favorite CD of 2007) is

Alcest - Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde

If ANYBODY out there has a thing for Loveless and Jesu's Silver EP, you would be making a big mistake not checking this out.
    If you dont like the songs in the links.........there really isnt any reason to check out anything else by them. I think you will like them though, havent met anybody yet that hasnt.

I just checked out the first one. Seems to be pretty good mood music... I'll try and remember to check it out someday when I feel in the mood for it.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Mogwai has some great instrumentals. Explosions In The Sky are great too.
  • Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow is fantastic

So is his earlier album, Truth. I saw Jeff Beck live at Winterland in SF, just after Blow by Blow was released. I'll never forget that show.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • "Divided Sky" or "You Enjoy Myself" by Phish. Probably my favorite instrumentals...
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    65 days of static (99% instrumental) are nice as well
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I don't think anyone has mentioned my favorite:

Godspeed You! Black Emporer
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Mogwai and Sigur Ros

Mogwai are in my top 5 bands of all time after only really getting into them at the end of last year. Bought 7 of their albums in space of a couple months and they are all great. I recommend Happy Songs For Happy People and Young Team. They are from Glasgow as well which maybe makes me a nit biased when praising them lol, amazing band all the same.

Take the time out to watch this video of them playing Helicon 1 in Japan last year if you can, gives me goosebumps everytime i watch it. When it really kicks in and the lights start going it looks absolutely phenomenal. One of my favourite youtube clips.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dnNNN6S-YcE
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Hovercraft
    Magnog
    C average
    Labradford
    "a day in the life"- jeff beck covering the beatles. i vid on u tube of it
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • Caspian - The Four Trees (http://www.myspace.com/caspiantheband

May very well be the best instrumental release of the year!

(ASA and Crawlspace are the only two from the new disc on their Myspace. the other two are from "You Are the Conductor"
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    intodeep wrote:
    I don't think anyone has mentioned my favorite:

Godspeed You! Black Emporer
    the best band in the world ever :) I'm actually wearing my Lift Yr. Skinny Fists T-shirt now.

approximately 90000000000 times better than Explosions in the Sky. I like EITS but Godspeed You! Black Emperor make them seem so dull. there's not enough fire in stuff like The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place, no matter how pretty it is.

so yes, to the original poster, make sure you check out the following albums by GY!BE (as in, all of them) -

Lift Yr Skinny Fists like Antennas to Heaven
    F#A# (Infinity)
    Yanqui U.X.O

and also the Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada EP which is utterly brilliant.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Caspian
    Mono
    Explosions in the Sky
    Dianogah
    Boris
    Don Caballero
    godspeed you black emperor

I listen to mostly instrumental stuff

check out http://thesilentballet.com/dnn/ its a site pretty much dedicated to the instrumental rock scene.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    the best band in the world ever :) I'm actually wearing my Lift Yr. Skinny Fists T-shirt now.

approximately 90000000000 times better than Explosions in the Sky. I like EITS but Godspeed You! Black Emperor make them seem so dull. there's not enough fire in stuff like The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place, no matter how pretty it is.

so yes, to the original poster, make sure you check out the following albums by GY!BE (as in, all of them) -

Lift Yr Skinny Fists like Antennas to Heaven
    F#A# (Infinity)
    Yanqui U.X.O

and also the Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada EP which is utterly brilliant.

You can feel free to call me crazy but I find Godspeed You! highly overated. However, i do reccomend everybody check them out also, as it is a prerequisite for anything newer and they are a really solid band.

I'll take & Yet &Yet or Goodbye Enemy Airship by Do Make Say Think over them anyday
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    totally explosions in the sky. mogwai, jakob & maybe some sigur ros, but much of that has vocals. definitely explosions :)
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Try these albums:

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
    John Coltrane - Ascension
    John Coltrane - Interstellar Space
    Frank Zappa - Hot Rats (Captain Beefheart does sing on Willie the Pimp, though)

Or this clip, to blast you into the furthest reaches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJKnDtRf3Vs
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    You can feel free to call me crazy but I find Godspeed You! highly overated. However, i do reccomend everybody check them out also, as it is a prerequisite for anything newer and they are a really solid band.

I'll take & Yet &Yet or Goodbye Enemy Airship by Do Make Say Think over them anyday
    That's fair enough. I can see why some people might find them boring or formulaic with all the crescendos etc but I personally think they are incredible. Lift Yr Skinny Fists is probably my favourite album ever.

I do, however, also like Do Make Say Think.
    Other great instrumental bands include Fly Pan Am, Set Fire to Flames, Mono, Esmerine, Bell Orchestre.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Phish "You Enjoy Myself" , "The Inlaw Josie Wales"

SRV "Lenny", "Rude Mood", "Little Wing"

Eric Johnson "Song For George", "Cliffs of Dover"

Joe Satriani "Starry Night"

Led Zeppelin "Bron Y'Aur"
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • anyone who likes isis should check out cult of luna.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    mxaaron wrote:
    "Divided Sky" or "You Enjoy Myself" by Phish. Probably my favorite instrumentals...

Neither of which are true instrumentals, but close enough. 2 great picks.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    whats the cream of the crop in terms of instrumental music?

What are you looking for? Technical prowess? Ethereal spacey music? Solo acoustic guitar? Jam bands?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"