Is their another album with the impact of Mellon Collie?

2»

Comments

• HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    san pedro wrote:
    i remember reading an interview with billy corgan and he said his goal for mellon collie was to make a concept album for a new generation and that he used pink floyd's the wall as his example

That, right there, is why I hate Billy Corgan...
    What an arrogant shit.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i actually think there are many records that made an equal impact. however, i'm at work and all out of brain so the rest of you can come up with some!
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    I agree with other opinions stating Siamese Dreams had a bigger influence (media, musical and cultural) than Mellon Collie. I think that some bands like Pixies (Surfer Rosa) or Sonic Youth may have had a potential impact speaking of musical influence on other bands and artists.
  • HushBull wrote:
    That, right there, is why I hate Billy Corgan...
    What an arrogant shit.

What was so wrong with him saying that? He was just saying he wanted to make an impact. Yes, i agree he can be arrogant, but i see nothing wrong with that statement.
  • muppet wrote:
    I wouldn't say that Mellon Collie had a massive impact (nor Euphoria Morning or Yield as someone has just said)

Depends on how you determine what 'impact' is though. If you're talking about sales, then yeah Mellon Collie had the biggest, but in terms of infulential...ity, I'd say it would be Siamese Dream.

He did say emotionally. So I actually agree with Euphoria Morning, that album was really significant for me.
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    emotionally Damien Rice's "O" beats the shit out of every other album ever. listening to that album when you're n relationship trouble is a total memorable headfuck!

QOTSA - Songs For The Deaf
    Arcade Fire - Funeral
    White Stripes - White Blood Cells
    Muse - Origin Of Symmetry
    RHCP - Californication (was pretty huge to be fair)
    Mercury Rev - All Is Dream

have all been copied quite a bit / "inspired" many artists since their releases...
  • xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
    In An Aeroplane Over The Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel comes to mind
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    He did say emotionally. So I actually agree with Euphoria Morning, that album was really significant for me.

Very important record for me too, it felt like a bit of a lifeline at the time it was released.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,275
    not one album from any band has impacted my life at all it's music i enjoy it while it's on but that's about it ,things that have impacted my life the birth of my kids that's it or the death of loved ones .....oh by the way you guys are all nuts :D ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    Its been 13 years since it was released and it remains a classic. A hell of an album. You arent snoozing by the 2nd disc thats for sure.

It doesnt seem like this is gonna be on anyones top 100 album list, critically speaking, but it seems like a personal favorite for fans and music junkies alike.

Is their another album released since 1995 with the same impact, emotionally as this record? I cant think of too many

Personally, I think it's a little bloated. Some great songs on it, for sure, but so much of that record was sort of unnecessary.
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I have very fond memories of listening to this album when I was a kid and it still holds up very well in my books. There have been other albums that have equally impacted my life, for sure, but this was a big one. For the record, I like Siamese Dream more now, but Mellon Collie definitely had a bigger impact on my life and musical tastes.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,294
    muppet wrote:
    I've yet to see a double album that justfies the, er, doubleness.

Almost agree.... Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin.
  • alpittalpitt Posts: 91
    Umm excuse me, Wilco- Being There. I wish there were 3 discs.
    "I'm an ideas man Michael, I think I proved that with F*ck Mountain" -GOB
  • JamnJodiJamnJodi Posts: 16
    1995?? I was aaaalllll about Dave Matthews..aww such fond memories. Don't take that away from me!!
  • AmadeusDAmadeusD Posts: 44
    Julien wrote:
    you "HATE" yiled ??
    it may not be your favorite but "hate" is a bit hard, no ?

Nope, i do mean hate. I use to term 'hate' lighter than its intent....this is because i feel there's not any time you'd NEED to say hate.

The album is one of the weakest albums of the 90's IMO. I think it was Pearl Jam at their worst, bar possible three or four of Mike's licks.
    Won't you come see me, Queen Jane....

Leaving the pillow alone tonight
    And I can see for miles
    Speak father with all your might
    Drive in one last nail
    I’d walk right into your hands
    From the end of the earth
    I’d make one final stand
    If you could see what I’m worth