Is their another album with the impact of Mellon Collie?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited May 2008 in Other Music
Its been 13 years since it was released and it remains a classic. A hell of an album. You arent snoozing by the 2nd disc thats for sure.

It doesnt seem like this is gonna be on anyones top 100 album list, critically speaking, but it seems like a personal favorite for fans and music junkies alike.

Is their another album released since 1995 with the same impact, emotionally as this record? I cant think of too many
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Its been 13 years since it was released and it remains a classic. A hell of an album. You arent snoozing by the 2nd disc thats for sure.

It doesnt seem like this is gonna be on anyones top 100 album list, critically speaking, but it seems like a personal favorite for fans and music junkies alike.

Is their another album released since 1995 with the same impact, emotionally as this record? I cant think of too many
    Radiohead The Bends, Bjork also released a good album called Post.
  • Oh I forgot about Oasis Whats the Story, and Pulp Different Class.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    You might be overegging it in terms of importance. It was popular yes but there have been thousands and thousands of albums since which, whether well known or not, are equally as viable in terms of people's opinions. It's all a matter of taste. It probably wouldn't register in my top 500 albums to be honest. It's not even half as good as Siamese Dream and THAT is far from having the greatest impact on me. Mellon Collie is too inconsistent and downright bad in parts.

For me, the most impactful album since 1995 is Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven by Godspeed You! Black Emperor but then, that's my favourite album ever.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Great SP's album..epic double but eventually buried them..The tour should have been better..same sets everynight.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Best double album ever. Way better than The White Album.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I listened to this album a lot on my holiday last week and fell in love with it again. I think it's damn near perfect and incredibly varied - although Siamese Dream will always be my favourite.
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    and Pulp Different Class.
    amen !
    this album is in my top 10.
    other great album after 1995: around the fur, deftones !
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    Best double album ever. Way better than The White Album.
    Ahahahahahahahaahahahahah ahaha!
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • AmadeusDAmadeusD Posts: 44
    HushBull wrote:

:):)
    I'm glad someone else picked up on that..

How about, Lateralus, Deloused In The Comatorium, Euphoria Morning, The Marshall Mathers LP, Kwelity(Quality), Come Away With Me, Down On The Upside, or, OMG did no one mention Yield?? Personally i hate the album, but its definitely more a favourite than Melloncollie. The list keeps going btw...Along with all albums others have vouched for.
    Won't you come see me, Queen Jane....

Leaving the pillow alone tonight
    And I can see for miles
    Speak father with all your might
    Drive in one last nail
    I’d walk right into your hands
    From the end of the earth
    I’d make one final stand
    If you could see what I’m worth
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    AmadeusD wrote:
    :):)
    I'm glad someone else picked up on that..

How about, Lateralus, Deloused In The Comatorium, Euphoria Morning, The Marshall Mathers LP, Kwelity(Quality), Come Away With Me, Down On The Upside, or, OMG did no one mention Yield?? Personally i hate the album, but its definitely more a favourite than Melloncollie. The list keeps going btw...Along with all albums others have vouched for.
    you "HATE" yiled ??
    it may not be your favorite but "hate" is a bit hard, no ?
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I wouldn't say that Mellon Collie had a massive impact (nor Euphoria Morning or Yield as someone has just said)

Depends on how you determine what 'impact' is though. If you're talking about sales, then yeah Mellon Collie had the biggest, but in terms of infulential...ity, I'd say it would be Siamese Dream.
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    It's not even half as good as Siamese Dream and THAT is far from having the greatest impact on me. Mellon Collie is too inconsistent and downright bad in parts.

I agree with that, Siamese Dream has been their only perfect collection of unforgettable songs. Mellon Collie has many great anthems and gems and fillers as well if you ask me!

another kickass albums from 1995

Radiohead - The Bends
    Sepultura - Roots
    Deftones - Adrenaline
    The Verve - A Northern Soul
    Blur - The Great Escape
    Green Day - Insomniac
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • Siamese Dream was SP's best album by far.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Awesome record.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I thoguth MC&IS was a really good record. I do like Siamese Dream better though.

There have been lots of records that have come out since then that i think have impacted people and the industry more

Neutral Milk Hotel- In an Aeroplane over the Sea
    Radiohead- Ok computer
    Tool- Anemia
    Wilco- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

I know i could name a lot of albums i like more.

That is the great thing about music though it is all opinion.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    I thoguth MC&IS was a really good record. I do like Siamese Dream better though.

There have been lots of records that have come out since then that i think have impacted people and the industry more

Neutral Milk Hotel- In an Aeroplane over the Sea
    Radiohead- Ok computer
    Tool- Anemia
    Wilco- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

I know i could name a lot of albums i like more.

That is the great thing about music though it is all opinion.

The Gutter Twins - Saturnalia
  • InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    HushBull wrote:

this is a very good point
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
    Oxxys wrote:
    this is a very good point

Personally I would take Mellon Collie over anything by The Beatles, but I dont like the Beatles so it is more a personal preference.

As for it coming from someone who is a big Oasis fan I find the comment mostly ironic and funny.:D
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    Ricsard wrote:

another kickass albums from 1995

Radiohead - The Bends
    Sepultura - Roots
    Deftones - Adrenaline
    The Verve - A Northern Soul
    Blur - The Great Escape
    Green Day - Insomniac

Mad Season-Above
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    It's hard for me to give that much credit to Mellon Collie. But, hey, if you like it...

The White Album blows it away, though. No contest.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Mellon Collie is the best and most influential double album since 1995 in my opinion. The B sides alone could've made an incredible stand alone disc or third side to MC.

The Fragile was a damn good though.
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    There is no need for MCIS to be two discs. There is not that much decent material on there. Most of it is just Billy essentially masturbating to the image of himself.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    You might be overegging it in terms of importance. It was popular yes but there have been thousands and thousands of albums since which, whether well known or not, are equally as viable in terms of people's opinions. It's all a matter of taste. It probably wouldn't register in my top 500 albums to be honest. It's not even half as good as Siamese Dream and THAT is far from having the greatest impact on me. Mellon Collie is too inconsistent and downright bad in parts.

For me, the most impactful album since 1995 is Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven by Godspeed You! Black Emperor but then, that's my favourite album ever.

Exactly Siamese had a bigger impact
    and um dont flame me, but nevermind had a bigger impact
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I've yet to see a double album that justfies the, er, doubleness.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Get_Right wrote:
    Exactly Siamese had a bigger impact
    and um dont flame me, but nevermind had a bigger impact
    Nevermind was before MCIS though. The OP meant post-1995.

Otherwise, yes, of course it was :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • muppet wrote:
    i second this
  • san pedrosan pedro Posts: 169
    i remember reading an interview with billy corgan and he said his goal for mellon collie was to make a concept album for a new generation and that he used pink floyd's the wall as his example. i'll take the wall over mellon collie personally.
    "DON'T HATE THE PLAYER, HATE THE GAME"
  • muppet wrote:

Pearl Jam's greatest hits should have been a triple.

haha
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Nevermind was before MCIS though. The OP meant post-1995.

Otherwise, yes, of course it was :)

yep missed that point
  • intodeep wrote:
    Tool- Anemia

it's Ænima
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB