Rock still dangerous, scary and evil?

2»

Comments

• yeah i know the story, even rumored he ate some of the brain matter. but im just saying everything has been done, now thats all that is left is to crank it up to 11. morrison may or may not have pulled out his penis on stage, but some metal chick band, i can find the clip(but cant post it here) they fist some girl on stage.

Yea, I understand what you're saying.

And people are completely infuckingsane.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Maybe, maybe not. Why were they after him in particular? I couldn't see him as much of a threat, apart from coming across as a generic gangsta rapper. I couldn't understand a word he was saying, for a start.
    Dude, ODB was far from generic :eek:

His album Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version is like the Trout Mask Replica of Hip-hop. The most bizarre, abstract lyrics and totally fucking beats ever. It's truly amazing. He starts singing a shaky but operatic rendition of Somewhere Over The Rainbow midway through a song, with no reason for it. The guy was insane and a total crackhead but utterly brilliant.

Actually, fuck Beefheart, it's the Finnegans Wake of hip-hop.

:D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Yea, but what Jeremy1012 mentioned just cranks it to 11. Apparently the guy that found him walked in, found the guy, went to a store, bought a disposable camera, went back, rearranged items (for better photos?), took pictures, THEN called the cops. Fucking nuts.
    My personal favourite part is this:

"Necrobutcher claimed that "I think Øystein was shocked by Dead's suicide, and taking the photographs was the only way he could cope with it."

And of course, if you know more about the black metal scene, you'll know that the guy who took the photo, Euronymous, was stabbed to death by Varg Vikernes from Burzum, supposedly because he thought Euronymous was planning to torture and murder him.

And this is the same Varg Vikernes who was responsible for most of those famous church burnings.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    My personal favourite part is this:

"Necrobutcher claimed that "I think Øystein was shocked by Dead's suicide, and taking the photographs was the only way he could cope with it."

And of course, if you know more about the black metal scene, you'll know that the guy who took the photo, Euronymous, was stabbed to death by Varg Vikernes from Burzum, supposedly because he thought Euronymous was planning to torture and murder him.

And this is the same Varg Vikernes who was responsible for most of those famous church burnings.

Cope with it? Pfft. They were probably going to get a huge poster of it, hang it up, sacrifice a sheep, eat the eyeballs, and jerk off to the picture.
    Cope with it? Pfft. They were probably going to get a huge poster of it, hang it up, sacrifice a sheep, eat the eyeballs, and jerk off to the picture.
    I wonder though, it's a chicken and egg thing, what came first? Why is it specific to scandinavia? American metal bands aren't like that. Is it something about their environment that makes these people like that and the music came from it or did they build the image and way of acting around the music? To the best of my knowledge, original early 80s black metal is just music, there's no murdering and dancing around fires naked in the forest at midnight. Then bands like Mayhem came along and they all started taking it all so seriously.

The Norwegian Black Metal guys are actually CRAZY. Apparently, prior to actually BEING dead, Per Ohlin from Mayhem used to bury his clothes, weeks prior to gigs, so that they'd start to rot and he'd smell like a grave :o

And Varg from Burzum is essentially concerned with starting some kind of viking master race free from non-germanic peoples. He even refers to other metal that isn't Burzum as "nigger music" because he says they're all about drinking and taking drugs and not about stamping out all traces of judeo-christianity.
  • Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Is any of this music even good? or is it just a bunch of angry church burning Scandanavian half wits who desparetly need a hug?
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I wonder though, it's a chicken and egg thing, what came first? Why is it specific to scandinavia? American metal bands aren't like that. Is it something about their environment that makes these people like that and the music came from it or did they build the image and way of acting around the music? To the best of my knowledge, original early 80s black metal is just music, there's no murdering and dancing around fires naked in the forest at midnight. Then bands like Mayhem came along and they all started taking it all so seriously.

The Norwegian Black Metal guys are actually CRAZY. Apparently, prior to actually BEING dead, Per Ohlin from Mayhem used to bury his clothes, weeks prior to gigs, so that they'd start to rot and he'd smell like a grave :o

And Varg from Burzum is essentially concerned with starting some kind of viking master race free from non-germanic peoples. He even refers to other metal that isn't Burzum as "nigger music" because he says they're all about drinking and taking drugs and not about stamping out all traces of judeo-christianity.

I dunno. I just chalked it up to having vikings as ancestors. Everyone knows that the vikings were psycho and that you didn't fuck with em if it could be helped. Hell, look at the techno viking. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1nzEFMjkI4 doesn't get really good until around the :30 sec mark)

As for american metal...I'm guessing the thought they were hard and progressive and going against the grain and all that shit but in reality they were actually pretty conservative about the whole thing.
  • Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Is any of this music even good? or is it just a bunch of angry church burning Scandanavian half wits who desparetly need a hug?

Fuck if I know dude. I don't like metal.
  • CobCob Posts: 857
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Rock'n'Roll ceased to be scary when I saw Alice Cooper on the golf course.

Or Ozzy and Gene Simmons having TV shows with their families......
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

Gonzo1977 wrote:
    I personally really like some norwegian black metal. The imagery and stuff is a bit ridiculous but if you like metal as a genre, musically it can be brilliant. Relentless, repetative rhythms, abrasive as hell production values, sometimes silly but often unsettling and atmospheric vocals and (when you look them up) really rather well written lyrics.

I dislike most metal and it's normally for the ridiculous subject matter but something about some black metal gets under my skin. I think it's because the creepy, evil tones aren't a pose. These guys really are scary people. It's interesting to hear what sort of stuff a mind like that can produce. As far as black metal goes, Burzum are pretty much the best. A lot of the stuff out there IS just pure shite. Nothing interesting musically, just church burning and shrieking. Burzum is kind of different. Just one guy, now in jail for murder ( :rolleyes: ) playing all the instruments, guitar, bass, vocals, keyboards. Most of the songs are very long and repetative but the atmosphere is brilliant. There's a lot of ambient electronic stuff in there too. Very raw sound quality.

Judge for yourself :) Round about the 3 minute mark, when the drums kick in, it gets some momentum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnxP4BhNVU8
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I personally really like some norwegian black metal. The imagery and stuff is a bit ridiculous but if you like metal as a genre, musically it can be brilliant. Relentless, repetative rhythms, abrasive as hell production values, sometimes silly but often unsettling and atmospheric vocals and (when you look them up) really rather well written lyrics.

I dislike most metal and it's normally for the ridiculous subject matter but something about some black metal gets under my skin. I think it's because the creepy, evil tones aren't a pose. These guys really are scary people. It's interesting to hear what sort of stuff a mind like that can produce. As far as black metal goes, Burzum are pretty much the best. A lot of the stuff out there IS just pure shite. Nothing interesting musically, just church burning and shrieking. Burzum is kind of different. Just one guy, now in jail for murder ( :rolleyes: ) playing all the instruments, guitar, bass, vocals, keyboards. Most of the songs are very long and repetative but the atmosphere is brilliant. There's a lot of ambient electronic stuff in there too. Very raw sound quality.

Judge for yourself :) Round about the 3 minute mark, when the drums kick in, it gets some momentum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnxP4BhNVU8

The music itself is fine (although it is pretty repetitive, like you mentioned) but I cannot stand those vocals at all.
    The music itself is fine (although it is pretty repetitive, like you mentioned) but I cannot stand those vocals at all.
    Hah yeah, definitely an acquired taste. I'm not a massive fan of the vocals but I much prefer black metal shrieks to death metal growls :p
  • MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    The new way to scare parents is listening to music that makes them think you're cutting yourself.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    MattyJoe wrote:
    The new way to scare parents is listening to music that makes them think you're cutting yourself.

I think that's emo or to a greater extent Screamo:) lol
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”