Options

Tool-decoy?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited April 2006 in Other Music
Is the 10,000 leaked album a decoy?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    for tool's sake i sure hope so..........
  • Options
    thats what I dont get. Every tool album is called a masterpiece.

I am most likely all the other tool fans assumed this would be mindblowing just like the last albums.

I also am surprised at how much hatred of the leaked album is going on. Seems like an awful lot of fans think the leaked cd is a bunch of crap. Which is odd.

I am not sure personally what to make of it all. I didnt download the leaked cd, but heard vicarious.

All I know is that if the leaked cd is in fact the real deal, alot of tool fans are going to be angry, and alot of fans wont be calling this record a masterpiece.

If the leaked cd is a hoax and a decoy, tool will have pulled off the ultimate middle finger to both its fans and to the record industry, and label.

That being said, from the message boards I have read, their is a consensus from a large amount of fans that this album is a decoy. What will be interesting is that if people go on May 2nd and the album is what we have already heard, how people will feel then.

Who ever thought a Tool record would be mediocre, or even crap? Who knew>
  • Options
    crabbycrabby Posts: 2
    I highly doubt this is a decoy, way too good for a decoy. I use to think the album sucked, but then i actually listened to it, I mean nothing else at the same time. This album rocks, a really good album, as good and maybe better than lateralus.
    10,000 days is a step up from lateralus, people who say otherwise listen to the album some more.
  • Options
    If the leaked cd is a hoax and a decoy, tool will have pulled off the ultimate middle finger to both its fans and to the record industry, and label.

This just struck me as odd. Giving the record industry the finger is almost considered romantic nowadays but I think treating fans with respect should be an absolute priority for bands - they make or break them.

And that people would think Tool would toy with their fans like that can't be a good thing.
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    why would they go to all that trouble.
    but you know, seems to me the way to avoid leaks is to release the damn album when it's finished, instead of having it sit around waiting to be leaked. and then bitch about it.
    these bands aren't stupid. they the odds of leaks are good. they probably secretly think that the anticipation and word of mouth are good for their sales.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    why would they go to all that trouble.
    but you know, seems to me the way to avoid leaks is to release the damn album when it's finished, instead of having it sit around waiting to be leaked. and then bitch about it.
    these bands aren't stupid. they the odds of leaks are good. they probably secretly think that the anticipation and word of mouth are good for their sales.

The leaks dont happen because they have the album "sit around waiting". Post-production and manufacturing takes time and that's when it happens.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i'm just in a pissed off mood that's all. ignore everything i say for the next 12 hours or so. :D :(
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    dirtdirt Posts: 398
    I am most likely all the other tool fans assumed this would be mindblowing just like the last albums.

I also am surprised at how much hatred of the leaked album is going on. Seems like an awful lot of fans think the leaked cd is a bunch of crap. Which is odd.

I am not sure personally what to make of it all. I didnt download the leaked cd, but heard vicarious.

All I know is that if the leaked cd is in fact the real deal, alot of tool fans are going to be angry, and alot of fans wont be calling this record a masterpiece.

That being said, from the message boards I have read, their is a consensus from a large amount of fans that this album is a decoy. What will be interesting is that if people go on May 2nd and the album is what we have already heard, how people will feel then.

Seems like you're forming your opinion without even hearing the entire album.

For those who dl'd 10,000 Days (and it's not a decoy -- you're thinking way too hard) - I just don't see how they can form an opinion on this (or any record) within a few days -- a few casual listens on a computer??? Maybe people are quick to post on threads because they want to be the first to say they heard it prior to the release date. Whatever. Sometimes the internet sucks...it can take away the element or reward of good research. I digress...

Judge it for what it is on it's own terms when it comes out on May 2.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Options
    i'm just in a pissed off mood that's all. ignore everything i say for the next 12 hours or so. :D :(

No prob :D
  • Options
    keyser_sozekeyser_soze London, England Posts: 205
    never a decoy

the song 10,000 days alone is a masterpiece. too much effort went into the music and lyrics for it to be a decoy.

this song is about maynards mother for christsake!!!

gotta be real
    www.facebook.com/PandoraApparel
  • Options
    never a decoy

the song 10,000 days alone is a masterpiece. too much effort went into the music and lyrics for it to be a decoy.

this song is about maynards mother for christsake!!!

gotta be real

People dont think that these songs arent real, they just think they're b-sides and outtakes. I havent heard any new songs so I cant really judge it first hand but I dont think it's a decoy either.
  • Options
    keyser_sozekeyser_soze London, England Posts: 205
    People dont think that these songs arent real, they just think they're b-sides and outtakes. I havent heard any new songs so I cant really judge it first hand but I dont think it's a decoy either.

well i think it's real. would be cool if it was one half of a double album!!!! ha. savage

10,000 days is their most beautiful, meaningful song. don't think its a b side.

if i was maynard i'd be pretty pissed. writing a song about my dead mother who suffered for 27 years (10,000 days) and died and then everyone going "this fucking sucks" even tho its pretty awesome just needs time to sink in like all tool albums

if people want something immediately accesible maybe they should stick to nickelback and scott stapp.
    www.facebook.com/PandoraApparel
  • Options
    well i think it's real. would be cool if it was one half of a double album!!!! ha. savage

10,000 days is their most beautiful, meaningful song. don't think its a b side.

if i was maynard i'd be pretty pissed. writing a song about my dead mother who suffered for 27 years (10,000 days) and died and then everyone going "this fucking sucks" even tho its pretty awesome just needs time to sink in like all tool albums

if people want something immediately accesible maybe they should stick to nickelback and scott stapp.

What I could imagine would be for them to fool people by having half the leak be b-sides and outtakes. But I dont think they'd go to such lengths and make another album.

I think you're right about people being not patient enough with this. I dont like Tool that much and probably wont buy the album (Built To Spill and PJ are enough to make this April for me) but Tool really needs to be listened to. Not easily accessible at all. And listening to it on a computer is probably not the best setting to really get into a Tool record. We'll all be wiser in a week when the album is released (in parts of Europe).
  • Options
    LBC1076LBC1076 Posts: 224
    At first I was buying into the whole decoy thing, but I've been listening to it for the last few days (immediately made a copy for the car) and I think it is probably the real deal. I will be buying the official copy come May anyways just to make sure.
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Its not a decoy. The leak is most likely from a hard copy of the album, and really thats about as far as it can get these days, if there is that much interest in an album.
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    I heard the rumours, but I don't think they are decoys. It sounds to good for a decoy.
  • Options
    (SPOILER ALERT)

Hey Cheguevara6,

I'm with you, and am atleast open to the possibility that this is a decoy. Tool have been well known to do these types of things, and are indulgent to the fullest extreme, which isn't to say that they don't respect their fans, it's just the way they go about their business, and I wouldn't put it past them for a second. There's what, six songs on this "album"? Here's the math:

Track 1- The single, wicked song
    Track 2 - Solid heavy tune
    Track 3 & 4 - One song, 3 is an intro to 4
    Track 5 - Cool upbeat tune
    Track 6 - is a segue
    Track 7 & 8 - One song, same theme throughout both
    Track 9 &10 - 9 sets the tone for song 10, so 9 & ten are again, 1 song
    Track 11 - just noise

And this is a masterpiece? For an ep maybe. I am a huge Tool fan, and Aenima is my favorite album of all time. But they've had FIVE years to write six songs? I don't buy it. If this is the real deal then I'll be very dissapointed.
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    (SPOILER ALERT)

Hey Cheguevara6,

I'm with you, and am atleast open to the possibility that this is a decoy. Tool have been well known to do these types of things, and are indulgent to the fullest extreme, which isn't to say that they don't respect their fans, it's just the way they go about their business, and I wouldn't put it past them for a second. There's what, six songs on this "album"? Here's the math:

Track 1- The single, wicked song
    Track 2 - Solid heavy tune
    Track 3 & 4 - One song, 3 is an intro to 4
    Track 5 - Cool upbeat tune
    Track 6 - is a segue
    Track 7 & 8 - One song, same theme throughout both
    Track 9 &10 - 9 sets the tone for song 10, so 9 & ten are again, 1 song
    Track 11 - just noise

And this is a masterpiece? For an ep maybe. I am a huge Tool fan, and Aenima is my favorite album of all time. But they've had FIVE years to write six songs? I don't buy it. If this is the real deal then I'll be very dissapointed.

They play one April Fool's joke and that means they do stuff like this all the time?

If its not the real deal we will find out in the next few days. There was tons of talk of somebody takin a hard copy from a warehouse/store, over on the Tool board.

I dont get why everybody is bitchin about the albu. There are 7 total actual songs. Those 7 songs make up around 70 minutes of music. Thats 20 minutes longer than PJ's new one.

Anyone that denies Wings For Marie/10k Days is just mad b/c Tool didnt make the album that they thought they were gonna make.

I was super skeptical after Vicarious. But it seems they have taken Lateralus and blended in shades of the other albums. I think its great.

Right In Two is stellar
  • Options
    JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204

What I don't understand is, why would a bside be a title track?
  • Options
    upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    LBC1076 wrote:
    I will be buying the official copy come May anyways just to make sure.

Good for you!! People who Download "free" cd's and dont go out to buy them later make me sick.

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Options
    JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
    And this-
    http://www.target.com/gp/search.html/ref=sr_bx_1/601-5874166-7307344?field-keywords=10%2C000+days&url=index%3Dtarget&x=0&y=0

I've seen that one on different sites to be set to be released on May 16th...it's gotta be some kind of double album, because it's $20. Does anyone know about that?
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Those 7 songs make up around 70 minutes of music. Thats 20 minutes longer than PJ's new one.

Dragging out one riff for 10 minutes doesn't make it a good song, nor am I complaining about the album's running time, which is over 70 minutes. I couldn't care less though about how long the album is, all I want are enough good tunes that make a good, cohesive listen. Every other one of their albums have done this, and maybe on May 2nd I'll except that after five years Tool just released an ep, and dig the songs, but right now I'm a little dissapointed.
  • Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:

Right In Two is stellar

I'm glad someone else thinks so. I haven't heard any praise for this one yet, and it's one of my top 2 or 3 on this album, maybe my favorite. Definitely not as 'accessible' than the last two albums (especially Aenima), but it sounds like a progression from Lateralus. Song structures definitely aren't 'typical' and certainly not radio friendly, but taken as a piece of art, they have a lot of depth and will take a long time to digest and fully appreciate.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    Maybe it's really Earshot's new album...

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • Options
    JamnPearl wrote:
    What I don't understand is, why would a bside be a title track?

Maybe that's a song that'll be partof the album but is part of the decoy too. This whole Tool thing really makes my head spin. They are so weird that we go to such lengths wondering how weird they are.

Why am I posting in this thread anyway? I dont even like Tool ;)
  • Options
    DeadermanDeaderman Posts: 49
    Which is why I'll wait until my brother gets the album and i can hear it..LOL..
    Power without Perception is virtually useless and therefore of no true value
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Anyone that denies Wings For Marie/10k Days is just mad b/c Tool didnt make the album that they thought they were gonna make.

Usually this is said when a band makes a radical departure from their style, not necessarily whan they make something which sounds derivativee of the old albums
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    again, I havent heard the new album, just the vicarious single.

But seems to me, whenever tool releases a cd, its highly complex, the references to carl jung, evolution, and genetics on Aenima.

The odd time signitures and drumming in lateralus, the supposed fibonocci sequence.

This is a band that spends a HUGE amount of time in their music, thats why its almost worth it for them to take 5 years to make cd's. because you know the cd will be a guaranteed mindblower.

I dont get the feeling from other peoples responses about the leaked cd.

people also suggest that many of the songs have lifted riffs from previous tool songs.

Could tool be that out of ideas that they take riffs from their old songs?

To me, tool is miles above any band in terms of complexity, and beautiful songs.

maybe I will be blown away when I finally here the new cd.

All I know is that I dont think people said this about lateralus. People were blown away, and rightly so. It took people 5 years alone to just digest that cd. People seem to suggest the new cd is complete crap and isnt very complex.

I just am surprised. I never imagined people would be saying tool made an album that wasnt mindblowing. It just never occured to me
  • Options
    mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
    I highly doubt the leaked version is a decoy. I'm a Tool fan but, I'm not an obsessed Tool fan. The fact is, this album is NOT what I nor most Tool fans expected. There are 3 or 4 tracks that aren't even actual songs. The songs that are tracks which include the entire band seem to be very recycled. They explore no new ground at all here. I'm flat out disappointed. I like a few tracks but, it is absolutely not on the same level as Aenima or Lateralus. Not even close.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • Options
    gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 440
    thats what I dont get. Every tool album is called a masterpiece.

they're probably yelling "decoy" so people will still go buy the record on may 2nd, thinking they haven't already purchased it. the 6 or so harder songs on the album are definitely Tool, no way to fake that. The rest of the more artsy songs could be decoys, but i highly doubt it.
    these days bands can only get within a week or two (at best) of the album's actual release date before the album gets leaked. there's really no way around it, seeing as how millions of copies of the album have to get produced
    and shipped out to stores several days before the release date. and all it takes is one individual to get the finished product uploaded to their PC, and then, bam, the leak turns into a tsunami. this is the sad reality.