Stadium Arcadium

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited July 2006 in Other Music
Picked up this record as well. Again, people on here really rag on the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I listened to it, and loved it. Only song I am not feeling is Hump de Bump. Just cant get into it. Listened to it twice. I dont think I will end up liking that one. But out of 28 songs, not liking just one song is pretty damn good.

John Frusciante as the saying goes, is god. He is top notch on the axe. Alot of people say Mike is a great guitarist and no doubt he is. On the new record Mike really comes with it, and blows us all away.

But I think John also deserves credit for his effort on Stadium Arcadium. Some of the songs like Slow Cheetah and Slip my Mind are so amazing, largely due to John's guitar work.

I can't believe some of you think this album is crap.

This is a great cd, except for Hump de Bump.

The red hot chili peppers are gods
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• vitalpj10vitalpj10 Posts: 142
    I love this album, too.

People seem fixated on the idea that if they support another band that they are disloyal to Pearl Jam.

It's ok to like other band.

They will understand.
    ...I thought the world, turns out the word thought me
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    see here is where the trouble lies with this album. Californication was such a giant leap forward from Bloodsugarsexmajik and By the way was another giant leap forward from that. These last two albums were amazing and the day they came out made everything the chilis did prior sounds completely dated, not that they weren't good but in the same way Ten sounds dated compared to later PJ stuff that's what those records did. So I had really high expectations with this album but it is basically redundant and unnecessary. If they never released By the Way I would hail Stadium as a masterpiece but I mean it's the same shit over again. There is no point to rerecording another cd of the same material. They are treading water and as such standing on it's own this might be a fantastic double cd's worth of music the only problem is once it is put into context it's not at impressive or important.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
    I don't know about that.
    They are good songs.. Perhapse they have not moved to the "next level" of their music yet and have needed to do this..

Not every album is going to be the crowning acheivement.
    vitalpj10 wrote:
    I don't know about that.
    They are good songs.. Perhapse they have not moved to the "next level" of their music yet and have needed to do this..

Not every album is going to be the crowning acheivement.

I understand this and it is only my take after all I don't want to be negative becasue I do think Frusciante is just sick and love the interplay between him and flea but as a whole I just am let down
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

Double album is just more songs...

I think that it somtimes makes the impression that you are to expect more from a band as a result. Unfortunately it doesn't always work that way.

Melloncollie is an example of an album that was enhanced as a true double masterpiece.

Lost Dogs was just a 2 disc record.

I'm not sure if I am making sense, though.
    vitalpj10 wrote:
    Double album is just more songs...

I think that it somtimes makes the impression that you are to expect more from a band as a result. Unfortunately it doesn't always work that way.

Melloncollie is an example of an album that was enhanced as a true double masterpiece.

Lost Dogs was just a 2 disc record.

I'm not sure if I am making sense, though.

I think I know what you're saying in that since Lost Dogs was released toegther but never intended to be a coheisive piece of art that it is just a two cd set, compared to something like Mellon Collie or London Calling which are single works. But uhh am I missing where this comes into the discussion or am I just being a dick and assuming you're still talking to me when you are responding to something else from earlier?
    Chris Cornell

mrwalkerb wrote:
    I think I know what you're saying in that since Lost Dogs was released toegther but never intended to be a coheisive piece of art that it is just a two cd set, compared to something like Mellon Collie or London Calling which are single works. But uhh am I missing where this comes into the discussion or am I just being a dick and assuming you're still talking to me when you are responding to something else from earlier?

I'm talking to you MRWALKER lol

No, I'm just saying that some of your issues could be with the fact that it is a 2 disc album and that it has some unfair expectations.
    vitalpj10 wrote:
    I'm talking to you MRWALKER lol

No, I'm just saying that some of your issues could be with the fact that it is a 2 disc album and that it has some unfair expectations.

ok, I don't think so if anything I gave them a little more slack because of the whole "double albumness" of it. I don't know, give me a week or so to try it again becasue my friend said the same thing when he first heard it but has since claimed that it is better in time, since I'm going to see them in september I hope it grows by then. But I'll let you know if I change my mind for sure, as for tonight I should try to sleep, thanks for the company though. Night
    Chris Cornell

• AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    just got the Black Box..so far the music isnt anything fantastic but neither bad too..hope it will grow on me soon.
    the bonus dvd is pretty cool too with the band interview and making of "Dani California"
    great artwork as well...love the pic of them in the football helmets
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    I think its a pretty good album, not there best work but im really liking it.
  • julischjulisch Posts: 34
    i've picked up the cd last thursday i think, and listened to it almost non stop since. i was worried at first, i love bssm and californication, but i find by the way really boring, so my expectations were high. and it's always risky to come forward with a double album, especially after the wall and other such masterpieces. but i think the chilly peppers made a very solid effort. the songs are generally good, some of them are brilliant even (turn it again for example), john is amazing as always, and even anthony's voice sounds fine. i understand it sounds very much like californication, which is not a bad thing imho, although it doesn't bring anything new. still i'm very happy with this album, i have to admit i like it much more at the moment as pearl jam's new one. hail-hail.
    -
    "And I listen for the voice inside my head. Nothing. I'll do this one myself."
  • goldenegggoldenegg Posts: 371
    I'm loving this album as well. I'm not the biggest RHCP fan, but am quite fond with every track on the 2 disc set. As already mentioned, the guitar work on some of the tracks is absolutely sick!!
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    The album is great, JF's work on it is flawless, his tone is amazing.

They've been a band for 23 (approx) years, of course they are going to repeat some stuff given their style. That is not, i repeat NOT a bad thing.

You can easily (and alot of people have said so) match up some of the songs on the new Pearl Jam album to songs on their older ones, but that doesnt make me not like certain songs on the new album less.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Only song I aint diggin at the moment is Death of a Martian.

Hump De Bump is funky as fuck one of my fave tracks, it feels like it could fit on Freaky Styley, makes me wanna do a little dance round the house.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    Hump De Bump is funky as fuck one of my fave tracks, it feels like it could fit on Freaky Styley, makes me wanna do a little dance round the house.:)
    haven't really had a good listen of the album but Hump De Bump and Charlie are me faves so far...reminds me of the older stuff with the funky shit
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

YNWA
  • ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    well, I have been listening more and I must admit.....it's a grower......to me the best kind of music is the type that doesn't always hit you in the face from the start....

the dvd was cool too in that the guys discuss all the songs.....
    Toshala wrote:
    the dvd was cool too in that the guys discuss all the songs.....
    lol i enjoyed the Making of DC as well...Flea got hit pretty hard by Anthony!
    and Chad is as hilarious as ever!

YNWA
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I just posted this on another forum. Mini-review I wrote, sums up how I feel about it.

Just got the new Chili's Album Stadium Arcadium, Alternate title - 'By The Way Part 2'

Decent album, but it's not very interesting at all. Sounds just like By The Way. Has some nice songs, good for chillin out at the end of the party. A couple of funky numbers were included aswell, most likely just to keep Flea's ego in check, but they don't fit in at all. As much as I love the funky stuff, I think it'd be rediculous for them to go back to it now anyway. This is Basically another John Fruisciante album. If you're into him you'll love it, if want the chilis of old you'll be sorely disappointed
    It is growing on me after a couple of listens (at first I thought it was a load of gash, but I gave it a second chance). Through a decent pair of headphones I found I liked it a lot more. It needs quality speakers to appreciate all the little touches. Has a couple of cool solo's too. Still though, I doubt it'll have any huge impact on me. Had it been released before BTW I probably would have called it a masterpiece, but I've heard it all already and I'm already sick of that sound. 28 tracks is a bit much too. Like I said, Decent, but not enough to hold my interest in a big way.
    I give it 3/5
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • bluemonkeybluemonkey Posts: 198
    a lot of people just like to talk bad about anything new that is put out by even bands they like.people just like to complain.
  • Boekel ManBoekel Man Posts: 145
    I still dig it. The b-sides of the single are great too btw. They deserve a honourable mention!
    I like driving backwards in the fog, 'cause it doesn't remind of anything...
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    bluemonkey wrote:
    a lot of people just like to talk bad about anything new that is put out by even bands they like.people just like to complain.

Agreed, i think if it was their first album alot of people would be digging it. Anthony's voice is bad, it always has been, but the music and the melody are first class IMO.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    bluemonkey wrote:
    Y'know it's possible that some people actually don't like the album.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Boekel ManBoekel Man Posts: 145
    True. I don't care about them complains, I only care for my own humble opinion.
    I like driving backwards in the fog, 'cause it doesn't remind of anything...
  • I'm diggin "so much I"

sounds like a Fugazi song until the chorus to me...
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
    I'm diggin "so much I"

sounds like a Fugazi song until the chorus to me...
    i think John mentioned in the dvd that it was influenced by Fugazi as well..unless he was talking aboot another track

YNWA
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    very cool cd,, its alot of songs so pretty much all the typical chili peppers genre's of music can be found on it

that being said ,, i also think its a bit repetative,, some songs do sound very by the way ish ,,almost like they were taking off that album and put onto this one
    but i do dig it ,,as i did their past 2 albums

i'am sure it will get better after a couple more listen's
  • AxlUlrich wrote:
    i think John mentioned in the dvd that it was influenced by Fugazi as well..unless he was talking aboot another track
    thanks.
    didn't know that.
    yeah, it was really obvious to me on the second or third listen.

cool.
    :D
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    BUMP cuze I've been listening to this a lot lately and just wanna say SLOW CHEETAH I fuckin love you to pieces! :o Gorgeous & incredibly addictive!

There are a lot of "so gorgeous" tracks on Stadium Arcadium..I mean how about that title track for instance?! Whew. :o

All in all, I'm really lovin this. They've done it again! RHCP have yet to disappoint me. I think ONe Hot Minute took me the longest to, uh, adjust to and give a chance but now it's one of my fav albums ever.

And John! ((:D)) Hallelujah! Nobody does it better. It's as it should be... you can hear that! It just feels and sounds so right. :) As Cheguevara6 said, lots of the songs are shining extra bright mainly in part to this stellar guitar work. Like um...SLOW CHEETAH................"so euphoric"..............
    :o
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    BUMP cuze I've been listening to this a lot lately and just wanna say SLOW CHEETAH I fuckin love you to pieces! :o Gorgeous & incredibly addictive!

There are a lot of "so gorgeous" tracks on Stadium Arcadium..I mean how about that title track for instance?! Whew. :o

All in all, I'm really lovin this. They've done it again! RHCP have yet to disappoint me. I think ONe Hot Minute took me the longest to, uh, adjust to and give a chance but now it's one of my fav albums ever.

And John! ((:D)) Hallelujah! Nobody does it better. It's as it should be... you can hear that! It just feels and sounds so right. :) As Cheguevara6 said, lots of the songs are shining extra bright mainly in part to this stellar guitar work. Like um...SLOW CHEETAH................"so euphoric"..............
    :o

Slow Cheetah and Wet Sand are AWESOME!
    NERDS!
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    HELL YES! :) I actually just recently bookmarked a thread that I found for WET SAND and have been planning on bumping that sucka up with some major praise. So much love for that song! :o

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••