What does Tragically Hip sound like?

2»

Comments

• direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    DOSW wrote:
    I checked out some songs, but they really don't seem to appeal to me, probably for this reason:

You don't have to be Canadian to get into them, just like you don't have to be Irish to get into U2, or American to enjoy Bruce Springsteen or Pearl Jam. The Hip have a lot of American fans and they all seem to get them just fine. When I was in Boston for one show, I met a dude from New York who had seen them something like 50 times, and was following them around on tour. He didn't seem to have any problems relating to their sound or Gord's lyrics. One thing's for sure, the Hip are a band that has to grow on you. Give 'em another chance and you might suddenly find yourself humming along to "Ahead by a Century" or rocking out in your living room playing air guitar to "Fire in the Hole".
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    They sound like Canada.

I think that there are many south of the border who appreciate The Hip, but it is a small following. They're one of those bands that is a national phenomenom, but have very little international success. I know there are several bands of the like in the U.K. and the U.S. has Bruce Springsteen.

The Hip are Canadian. Their lyrics and sound is very much Canadian and it doesn't necessarily translate to other countries. It's difficult to truly appreciate their lyrics unless you're Canadian. There are so many Canadian nuances. As well, the sound of The Hip truly encaptures summers in Canada. The lake, BBQ, beer, and The Hip = Canadian summer.

I'm sorry but this is complete BS. This is the attitude that holds the Hip back. They are Canadian, but you don't have to be Canadian to like them, or appreciate the songwriting. I'm Canadian and I like REM, even though a lot of their early music was about small town America. The Hip are a great band regardless of being Canadian or not. Sure they make references to Canada, but every band in the world makes reference to where they are from. I can't stand this stereotypical Molson Canadian + Hockey + Lakes somehow = Tragically Hip. That is degrading to a band whose scope and dynamic in songwriting has far transcended all of that stuff. The Tragically Hip are a great band, who happen to be from Canada. They are as great as U2, REM, Pearl Jam, all of whom don't carry the burden of their country on their shoulders.
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    Actually the drummer is called Johnny Fay....LOL..just buggin ya

I screw that up ALL THE FREAKING TIME, I swear.
    :)
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Igottago wrote:
    I'm sorry but this is complete BS. This is the attitude that holds the Hip back. They are Canadian, but you don't have to be Canadian to like them, or appreciate the songwriting. I'm Canadian and I like REM, even though a lot of their early music was about small town America. The Hip are a great band regardless of being Canadian or not. Sure they make references to Canada, but every band in the world makes reference to where they are from. I can't stand this stereotypical Molson Canadian + Hockey + Lakes somehow = Tragically Hip. That is degrading to a band whose scope and dynamic in songwriting has far transcended all of that stuff. The Tragically Hip are a great band, who happen to be from Canada. They are as great as U2, REM, Pearl Jam, all of whom don't carry the burden of their country on their shoulders.

Thank you! I couldn't agree more. This is exactly what I was trying to say in my post, but it didn't come out quite right.

By the way, anybody catch the boys on The Hour tonight? It was fan-bloody-tastic! Although, whoever had Robby so low in the mix should be fired. I couldn't hear a thing he was playing, and it would've been nice to hear some of his leads. Overall the band sounded great, and George's interview with Gord was well done. If anybody missed it, it'll be on again at 11:00.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • direwolf74 wrote:
    Thank you! I couldn't agree more. This is exactly what I was trying to say in my post, but it didn't come out quite right.

By the way, anybody catch the boys on The Hour tonight? It was fan-bloody-tastic! Although, whoever had Robby so low in the mix should be fired. I couldn't hear a thing he was playing, and it would've been nice to hear some of his leads. Overall the band sounded great, and George's interview with Gord was well done. If anybody missed it, it'll be on again at 11:00.

i tend to agree somewhat with what i'll ride the wave was saying, but i can see where you and igottago are coming from, direwolf. you certainly don't have to be canadian to like them, but they are canadiana and make a nice export if people listen...i think they'll like them just as much as we do :)

i'm going to have to catch the west coast feed of the hour...i just woke up from a nap and missed the east coast feed! damn it! :D
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    direwolf74 wrote:
    LOL, I was just gonna say the same thing. I was at Sasquatch as well, and the girl beside me from Seattle had never heard of them before. Needless to say, she was thoroughly blown away. After their set she asked me to list off a bunch of Hip records she should own, and she wrote them all down. That Sasquatch show was hands down the best set I've ever seen them play. There was just so much passion, energy, and ferocity in that performance. It was incredible. Gord's crazy rant about the hail storm was one for the ages (check out my signature)

I have no idea what it would be like to just go the thehip.com and hear them for the first time with SO many albums out now.. I grew up with them as i'm sure most of us from here have.. I remember hearing them when I was youngun around when Road Apples and Fully Completely came out.. Fully Completely is one of my favorite albums ever.. it, of course, came out in 1992 when so many other great records were released and kind of only exploded in Canada. They have definetely covered a lot of ground with their albums since then I would recommend just checking out Yer Favorites and if you like it then try the other albums.

As for sasquatch.. yup it was amazing.. right after that insane hail storm.. couldn't have asked for a more energetic performance!

Can't wait for the calgary club gig next weekend!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    To whoever said "the pearl jam of canada".. I remember when the fox in vancouver did 100 best songs of the 90s and Q107 in toronto aswell way back when... the top 10 was pretty much ALL pearl jam and the hip.. both bands are HUGE here but I wouldn't really call them the pj of canada. They definetely do share a similar fanbase here so check them out if you haven't.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    Are they any non-Canadians out there who actually like the Hip? Are there any other Canadians who dislike them? I'm not a fan myself. I will give Gord Downie some credit for being charismatic, but in my opinion, he is not in the same league as Joni Mitchell and Leonard Cohen as someone else stated. To me they are the classic example of being a big fish in a small pond.

Austrian who likes the Hip here. My sister is actually a big fan. We went to the Toronto gig at ACC on Jan 1 2000 and for me the most amazing thing was the audience reaction. And I don't mean the guy sitting next to me who was trying to convince me to get stoned with him for the entire duration of the Hip's set :D
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • Sonja_S wrote:
    Austrian who likes the Hip here. My sister is actually a big fan. We went to the Toronto gig at ACC on Jan 1 2000 and for me the most amazing thing was the audience reaction. And I don't mean the guy sitting next to me who was trying to convince me to get stoned with him for the entire duration of the Hip's set :D

very cool to hear! :) hello from canada!
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    Hello to Canada ;) I hope to finally make it to Halifax in 2008!
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • Gord Downie put it best when he said "we're here in this room together for only one night, to appreciate this preformance. To find trancendance and jump together." Its not nesseserily the sound that creates the ambiance and the Tunes are amazing but when you exirience a hip concert especially in a small venue like Regina Saskachewan and Gord gets goin' you turn into part of the show. and it feels amazing. Almost like Pearl Jam, But to a smaller extent