NIN-Year Zero

2»

Comments

• facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Eraserhead wrote:
    I don't really see the point in downloading it, TBH.

Um, the point is you get to hear it earlier.....
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 2,926
    Um, the point is you get to hear it earlier.....

I think I can hold on a couple of weeks more.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    http://yearzero.nin.com/

Clean, legal and should hold you over until the album's released.

Very cool, and thanks.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170

How else do these lyrics read but a message to the older generation that us kids will rise up. Listen to "the pot" by tool for similar material
    Maynard James Keenan hates children and people who take his music to mean anything that it doesn't. I'd imagine that he'd be horrified by the idea that his song might be about revolution when it is in fact a classic Tool indictment of lots of things he hates, not specifically adults etc. The Pot is about hypocrisy.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    Alrighty, I've listened to the album. I've already mentioned that I think Survivalism is kind of lame, not that it doesn't rock, it does, but when i step back and listen to the words it annoys me at how cliche it is lyrically. Not a lot of substance there.

And it's probably the best song on the album.

Sorry NIN fans:

I think Year Zero is a dud.

Back in '94 or so, Reznor allowed himself to become uncomfortable with what then became Downward Spiral. I don't know what he's hiding from now.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • tremorvoidtremorvoid Posts: 528
    i went to the CD listening party at the HOB in cleveland like a week or so ago...and it kicked some major ass!!! its hard rocking and experimental...a cross between broken and the fragile, and really nothing like with teeth. but i was blown away of course!! pretty soon we will be jamming out with the actual cd!! :D
    Seems that needlessly it's getting harder
    To find an approach and a way to live
    Are we getting something out of this
    all-encompassing trip?
  • I listened to it........I still think survivalism is really a turd.

overall the album only really has a handful of good songs on it.......i'd say my violent heart is the best. I thin kwhat bothers me most is that there is really nothing organic sounding on it. When you make a cd almost compeltley with your laptop thats going to happen though.......a lot of the stuff jsut runs together. That and the lyrics are lame.
    Eraserhead wrote:
    I think I can hold on a couple of weeks more.

well that's different to 'not seeing the point' isn't it? I feel no less impressed by listening to the leak, it's in cd quality, so no difference really.
    I listened to it........I still think survivalism is really a turd.

overall the album only really has a handful of good songs on it.......i'd say my violent heart is the best. I thin kwhat bothers me most is that there is really nothing organic sounding on it. When you make a cd almost compeltley with your laptop thats going to happen though.......a lot of the stuff jsut runs together. That and the lyrics are lame.

Bloody hell, how pretentious are you?! It does not all run together, it has a 'theme' which links all the songs, and the lyrics are not 'lame' - fuck, who even uses such a term? Fair enough if you don't get/like what Trent is on about, but to label it lame is something else. I'd be really intertested in hearing what album you consider to be good, go on humour me.
  • Bloody hell, how pretentious are you?! It does not all run together, it has a 'theme' which links all the songs, and the lyrics are not 'lame' - fuck, who even uses such a term? Fair enough if you don't get/like what Trent is on about, but to label it lame is something else. I'd be really intertested in hearing what album you consider to be good, go on humour me.

Relax, its just an opinion.

I find it funny your calling me pretentious when we happen to be talking about Trent Reznor. I am aware the music has a theme and tries to tell a story but the music itself runs together. The funny thing about using your laptop to make an album is that its supposed to give you limitless options for sounds and textures but its also makes it all sound similar in the end in some way too.

The lyrics are lame.....but he's always sort of sucked with lyrics. Survivalism is a perfect example.

I love the fragile........with teeth was just ok. Its not like I haven't been able to get into his albums in the past. I just don't think this album is that good.....

I should have tread more lightly in NIN fan country.......most NIN fans would drink Trent's piss if he told them it tasted good.
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Interesting...I find the album loads better than "With Teeth."
  • Interesting...I find the album loads better than "With Teeth."

I think the songs that I do like off of this one are much better than the best from with teeth. But that only amounts to about 4 or maybe 5.
  • Bloody hell, how pretentious are you?! It does not all run together, it has a 'theme' which links all the songs, and the lyrics are not 'lame' - fuck, who even uses such a term? Fair enough if you don't get/like what Trent is on about, but to label it lame is something else. I'd be really intertested in hearing what album you consider to be good, go on humour me.

Why is it pretentious to critique a flawed album? Is it not more pretentious to think 'OK guys, Trent is a God, so therefore, make sure you think his albums are always masterpieces'? To get offended when someone criticises a flawed album which isn't even YOUR album, that's pretentious.

All Verb's points are right, imo. I find this whole album rhythmically very similar. One song DOES run on to the next without surprising you with a change of pace or volume or style. Save for about four or five songs, there is little rhythmic variety. It's all down-tempo, funky, chillout beats. Also, quite a lot of the beats carry on for a few bars after the song has finished and then just stop dead, like music demos on a keyboard. It would be nice if there were some proper endings.

This album has greatness within it (as all his albums do), but as a whole I find it too boring to get there.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    Apologies everyone, I was drunk as a skunk when I posted last night, I still totally disagree though :p