NIN-Year Zero

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Anyone actually heard the entire album? Seems like a pretty crazy and scary album. It all seems to be about the not too distant future and where we are heading
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    I've only heard 'survivalism'. I think it's kind of lame. I'd like to hear the whole album, though.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    i've only heard the four tracks that were leaked by trent... i particularly love 'in this twilight'... 'survivalism' is a great live song...

you can get the songs, links to the websites of the ARG and everything else here:
    http://symphonyofnoise.com/nails/yearzero/
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    i believe that members of the spiral who got there early for gigs on the european tour were treated to a playback of the entire album. unfortunately i'm not a member and info seems to be pretty thin on the ground as to what people that heard it thought.

looking forward to year zero's release though. imo mr reznor has yet to release a bad album.
  • I'm also very excited for this album. It won't be long now til it's released.
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    album leaked this morning
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Its up. ON THE SPIRAL, for spiral members to listen to, streaming!!! I'm listening right now. Its a knockout! That guy just keeps surprising us.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    http://yearzero.nin.com/

Clean, legal and should hold you over until the album's released.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • its awesome
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    http://yearzero.nin.com/

Clean, legal and should hold you over until the album's released.

Thank you! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • illfatedillfated Posts: 65
    WOW!, Can't Stop...
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    Amazing all the way to the end. I LOVE Zero Sum. Listened to it three times.

Nothing gets me jazzed like a good album.

:)
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I think I'm gonna wait to buy this, but damn it's tempting.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • i'm listening to it now and i like it a lot. i wasn't crazy about survivalism when i first heard it, but it's grown on me, and it's a lot better in the context of the album. i'm just happy he's not waiting 6 years in between releases this time around!
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    I think I'm gonna wait to buy this, but damn it's tempting.

(already pre-ordered it)

I DL'ed it and the whole album is perfect CD quality! Buy it when it comes out but just DL it now!

It's pretty damn good...

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,OK its amazing!
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    O My God!!! This is fucking amazing!
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • just listened to the first track. Sounds like people screaming and getting crushed during the song. Pretty insane! Seems he really does believe its the end of the world.
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    I think it's safe to say I'm done with this guy. The Fragile was the last good thing he did. That's good enough for me. New album is pretty bad in my opinion. It's nothing surprising to me. Same old Trent Reznor crap. Dark, moody lyrics that sometimes sound pretty cheesy, heavy synth beats that are annoying. This was the last straw.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • Dick Jones wrote:
    I think it's safe to say I'm done with this guy. The Fragile was the last good thing he did. That's good enough for me. New album is pretty bad in my opinion. It's nothing surprising to me. Same old Trent Reznor crap. Dark, moody lyrics that sometimes sound pretty cheesy, heavy synth beats that are annoying. This was the last straw.

Interesting. I loved With Teeth and I'm really liking the new album so far.
  • i know i am going to be reamed by people like soulsinging, but reading the websites it seems like Trent is suggesting that in this future time period, nonviolence doesnt work, and that people should take up arms and start the revolution. Very interesting stuff. He seems to be very radicalized by the world events taking shape right now and talking about how bad things could get, suggesting that our very lives are at stake if we continue on the way we have been
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Capital G is fucking wicked! Suitably impressed with the album so far, but needs more listens.
  • so frankly, i dont care what soul singing says, but its clear many of these songs just like the arcade fire record has clear us vs them and most likely youth vs old lyrics.

How else do these lyrics read but a message to the older generation that us kids will rise up. Listen to "the pot" by tool for similar material

So much potential
    Or so we used to say
    Your greed, self-importance and your arrogance
    You piss it all away

We heard a cry
    We've come to intervene
    You will change your ways and you will make amends
    Or we will wipe this place clean

or these lyrics

You have set something in motion
    Much greater than you've ever known
    Standing there in all your grand naïveté
    About to reap what you have sown
    Time will feed upon your weaknesses
    And soon you'll lose the will to care
    When you return to the place that you call home
    We will be there, we will be there

On hands and knees we crawl
    You cannot stop us all
    Our blood will stay
    We will not go away

You cannot stop us all
    Our blood, our grace
    Will never leave this place
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Dick Jones wrote:

Actually I kind of disagree that it's 'same old Trent', lyrically he's usually very 'me, me, me', wheras the lyrics on this album seem a lot broader.
  • gregmac666gregmac666 Posts: 123
    Actually I kind of disagree that it's 'same old Trent', lyrically he's usually very 'me, me, me', wheras the lyrics on this album seem a lot broader.

Agreed. This is all about the world as opposed to what TR has been going through in the last year or so.

'Cheesy Synths'?... well, it's only cheesy if you don't like that sound, so I guess it will be the last NIN record that Dick listens to.

Most of the record was written on the road, so it's very computer-produced, and you can hear it, but it works for them because of the type of band they are... and the identity & graphics, etc etc. It all works together very very well.

Did all 4 nights at Brixton earlier this year, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Survivalism released Monday, YZ out the folowing Monday. got my 9" collectors box ready to be filled... 2007 gonna be a good year!
    7387 // "I'll ride the wave where it takes me..." // 28-02-92 / Astoria 06-92 Cancelled / 14-07-93 / 29-10-96 / 30-05-00 / 20-04-06 / 27-08-06 / 18-06-07 / 18-08-09 / 25-06-10
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    so frankly, i dont care what soul singing says, but its clear many of these songs just like the arcade fire record has clear us vs them and most likely youth vs old lyrics.

How else do these lyrics read but a message to the older generation that us kids will rise up. Listen to "the pot" by tool for similar material

So much potential
    Or so we used to say
    Your greed, self-importance and your arrogance
    You piss it all away

We heard a cry
    We've come to intervene
    You will change your ways and you will make amends
    Or we will wipe this place clean

or these lyrics

You have set something in motion
    Much greater than you've ever known
    Standing there in all your grand naïveté
    About to reap what you have sown
    Time will feed upon your weaknesses
    And soon you'll lose the will to care
    When you return to the place that you call home
    We will be there, we will be there

You cannot stop us all
    Our blood will stay
    We will not go away

You cannot stop us all
    Our blood, our grace
    Will never leave this place

No no no! Don't miss this one important point: The songs are voices of different people from the story. Its people talking about it from different points of view. Hence the Capital G one for example. I don't think he's saying non-violence doesn't work. I think you of all people on this board, would probably appreciate the http://www.artisresistance.com concept. Go look there, look at *everything*, then see what you think.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I haven't heard it yet...Im waiting for it's official release.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • The album is pretty magnificent. I never really got into NIN until recently as I always put them off as this band with freaks and goths for listeners, but Reznor really is one of the best songcrafters out there today, and he (like Thom Yorke) has an amazing gift to use computer technology to its best in making music. Year Zero is great after listening to it streaming on NIN's website. I've got it pre-ordered.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    What strikes me most about the albumis that though it is noisier and a good deal more experimental than With Teeth, a recod that got flamed for it's subtlty, I think this record has the potential to reach a wider audience, I can't see trouble in a casual listener picking up this record and getting into it.
    Lyrically I agree that it is much broader with a heavy militant message, but the 'young vs. old' idea has absolutely no foundation. It not young vs old but us vs them. The record is inclusive not exclusive.
    I can't wait until this drops, because like TOOL's 10,000 Days I believe Year Zero will have an uncanny run of success in charts etc.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • sasojsasoj Posts: 239
    the album is not my coup of tea...
    it is to dark and gloomy ...
    but if you like that it is a perfect album
    i love rock chicks
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    sasoj wrote:
    it is to dark and gloomy ...
    Um....thats NIN in a nutshell ;):p
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 2,926
    I pre-ordered yesterday. I've not heard any of the tracks from it, bar the one they played at the Nottingham show I went.

I don't really see the point in downloading it, TBH.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16