Country Music

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited April 2007 in Other Music
What is some good Country music, its not the most popular genre on this board, and I generally dislike current Country, but whats some good current or past country bands? Like Johnny Cash or something

Is Shooter Jennings worth checking out
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjhabitpjhabit Posts: 211
    I just bought Willie Nelsons~Songs & love it. I grew out listening to this stuff though, as I was raise by my Grandfather. Anyway i don't think it would disapoint. Also love Cash but thats a given.
    Boise 11/3/00~Fargo 6/15/03~Winnipeg 9/8/05~St. Paul 6/26/06~6/27/06
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Pick up Charlie Louvin's new self-titled. Came out this year.

He is old school country defined (Country Music Hall of Famer) however this new disc has guest apperances by Elvis Costello, Jeff Tweedy and Will Oldham.

I think it is great.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    I actually like Dolly Parton. Coat of Many Colors and Jolene being my favorite songs of hers
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    My fiance is actually trying to get me into country music...some songs aren't that bad...I don't know artists names though...
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Check out Americana/alt country. My favs are Todd Snider, Will Kimbrough, Steve Earle etc.
  • Reynaldo6Reynaldo6 Posts: 80
    NOT rascall flatts. Keith Urban is good. thats about it though
    I'll wait up in the dark
    For you to speak to me
    I'll open up
    Release me
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    I hate country, but I actually do enjoy listening to Bluegrass music.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • If you dig female singers, check out Lucinda Williams, Neko Case, Kasey Chambers, Kathleen Edwards, and Tift Merritt.

They're considered "alt-country" (ugh...) but tend to be more "traditional" if you ask me.
  • Reynaldo6Reynaldo6 Posts: 80
    If you dig female singers, check out Lucinda Williams, Neko Case, Kasey Chambers, Kathleen Edwards, and Tift Merritt.

They're considered "alt-country" (ugh...) but tend to be more "traditional" if you ask me.

dont forget Carrie Underwood
    I'll wait up in the dark
    For you to speak to me
    I'll open up
    Release me
  • Junior Brown, Johnny Cash (of course), Waylon Jennings are places where I start.

Country musid died, sometime in the 70's. This pop crap that they produce now is a joke. I wouldn't call it country
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Drive By Truckers, Neko Case, The Bottle Rockets
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • personally i listen to the singer/songwriter/guitar player types...i cant stand the singers who don't write most of their own songs and/or who don't at least try to play an instrument...country music is filled up with a bunch of posers(imho)

travis tritt is good. he's the real deal
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Drive-by Truckers is a great rock band, but some of their songs are done in the classic story telling way that was Classic country. As for country acts, I would recommend Dwight Yoakam, Allison Krauss & Union Station, older music by Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Buck Owens (a favorite of mine) and older music from George Jones are good places to start.

Southern Culture on the Skids just released an album of cover tunes that highlight a number of great old country tunes. Great listening...they also cover "Happy Jack" by The Who. The album is called "Countrypolitan Favorites."
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • I'm a real big Shooter Jennings fan.

Definitely check out both of his CD's, 'Put the O Back in Country' and 'Electric Rodeo.'

His music is a lil bit harder than the pop-country that is on the radio these days. I think his first CD, "Put the O Back in Country' was excellent, 'Electric Rodeo' is pretty good but not as good as the first.

He has had a few songs on the radio but they don't get that much play.

Check out Hank Williams III also. I just recently started listening to him and am not sure if I like it or not. He comes from a punk background and it is definitely evident in his music. It is almost like Slipknot meets country.

The country music on the radio these days is basically pop music with twang. Still, there are some decent songs.
    "Don't lose your inner heat...ever" - EV 5/13/06
  • country music gets me dizzy and makes me puke.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
    Junior Brown, Johnny Cash (of course), Waylon Jennings are places where I start.

Country musid died, sometime in the 70's. This pop crap that they produce now is a joke. I wouldn't call it country
    I forgot to also say nice things about Junior Brown. :o

Yes, Country music died sometimes in the 1970s....most of the crap today is simply pop music with a southern accent. :rolleyes:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    country music gets me dizzy and makes me puke.
    Well, you need to try something besides Garth Brooks, Tim McGraw and Toby Keith. :D:p:p:p :rolleyes:
    personally i listen to the singer/songwriter/guitar player types...i cant stand the singers who don't write most of their own songs and/or who don't at least try to play an instrument...country music is filled up with a bunch of posers(imho)

travis tritt is good. he's the real deal

I agreed until that ^^^.
  • BubbaBirchBubbaBirch Posts: 1,977
    George Strait, Martina McBride
  • If you dig female singers, check out Lucinda Williams, Neko Case, Kasey Chambers, Kathleen Edwards, and Tift Merritt.

that is one SOLID list right there. some of my favorite artists.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i had a traumatic country music experience once and now i cant listen to it without having seizures. i dont even like wilco's first album becos of it.
    i had a traumatic country music experience once and now i cant listen to it without having seizures. i dont even like wilco's first album becos of it.

well what happened?
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201

you like modest mouse... you can't tell me when Doin' the cockroach kicks in at the end it isn't like Horseback riding on acid
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • i had a traumatic country music experience once and now i cant listen to it without having seizures. i dont even like wilco's first album becos of it.
    me too!! i was in a bar really drunk and someone kept playing that garth brooks drinking song i can't remember the name, but i spewed all over the place. now i can be totally sober and hear any country twangy type music my head spins and if i don't vacate the area...BARF!! some dance remixes also have this effect on me.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • tybird wrote:
    I forgot to also say nice things about Junior Brown. :o

Yes, Country music died sometimes in the 1970s....most of the crap today is simply pop music with a southern accent. :rolleyes:

Junior Brown is just flat out Bad A$$. Great guitar player, great voice. Cools songs.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • U2rocksU2rocks Posts: 89
    I'll always be a huge fan of classic country...as for the newer stuff....Dwight Yoakum and Dierks Bentley are the only good stuff....and some Dixie Chicks.

And before anyone says so....I admit that Dierks ain't for everyone..and don't judge him by the teenybopper older stuff.....the cd's as a whole are good.

http://www.myspace.com/ramon1972
  • The only new country band that I can really get into is Hank Williams III. He puts on a pretty crazy show. There are some great bootlegs out there; one that I really like is 02/27/2004 Live At Ground Zero.

I do also really love the older country singers. Johnny Cash is really good, if you’re not into the older country sound, you may want to check out the American I - V CDs. Also, Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, and Hank Williams are all really awesome!!!
  • Waylon Jennings is the best ever of county music, IMO. Hank Williams Jr. is another great one.

Cross Canadian Ragweed, have yall heard of them? They are so good it blows my mind that they aren't huge.

Nashville county is at least 85% horrible crap. The best new country music comes from Texas and Oklahoma. Jason Boland is one of the best. Reckless Kelly has some good songs - check "Copperhead Road" and especially "Willimina". Shooter Jennings and Hank Williams III are good.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Hank Williams Sr. is bad ass. Lots of pain and great song writing. The oldest are the greatest: Waylon, Willie, Johnny, Merle, Patsy, Johnny Paycheck, Emmylou Harris, John Prine, Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, Robert Earle King, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, and tons of old bluegrass stuff
    "She knows there is no success like failure
    And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
    A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."
    Bubba wrote:
    George Strait, Martina McBride
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: