The Beatles are the most important band ever

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Klumpie wrote:

Nowaday there are more bands you can compare with The Rolling Stones then the Beatles.

exactly, because there's nothing that special about the Stones. the Beatles simply can't even be imitated. they are truly one of a kind. and newsflash: THE STONES WERE INFLUENCED BY THE BEATLES.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Ok, people are incapable of judging The Beatle's output from a purely objective standpoint, because it has forever been drummed into everyone's heads from birth, that The Beatles were the 'start' of rock, and nobody else can come close.

I don't doubt their influence, but on a technical basis, they are no more important than the artists who influenced them in the first place.

Well, on a technical basis, let's applaud perhaps the greatest musician in the history of popular music, my hero Eric Dolphy (getting this out of a feckin' bass clarinet, for gawd's sake):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuiIyDxa750

But, you have to see that nananana stuff in 1968, within the context of its time. There's a famous story of The Stones bringing an acetate of Beggars Banquet to a party at which The Beatles were present, and playing it (thinking The Beatles were finished). Then The Beatles played their acetate of Hey Jude, and Keef pulled an unusual whitey*. Mind you, if Jimi had been there, playing demos from Electric Ladyland, they'd all have been fucked, because The Jimi Hendrix Experience was culturally and musically more important than feckin' anyone, ever, since Homer. ;)

Edit: Whoops! I realise that* phrase might not translate across the pond. I mean, "pulled an adverse physical and psychological reaction and hue to a sudden, shocking input of an unexpected substance, unusual given the individual's tolerance to everything in sight."

;)
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Well, on a technical basis, let's applaud perhaps the greatest musician in the history of popular music, my hero Eric Dolphy (getting this out of a feckin' bass clarinet, for gawd's sake):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuiIyDxa750

But, you have to see that nananana stuff in 1968, within the context of its time. There's a famous story of The Stones bringing an acetate of Beggars Banquet to a party at which The Beatles were present, and playing it (thinking The Beatles were finished). Then The Beatles played their acetate of Hey Jude, and Keef pulled an unusual whitey. Mind you, if Jimi had been there, playing demos from Electric Ladyland, they'd all have been fucked, because The Jimi Hendrix Experience was culturally and musically more important than feckin' anyone, ever, since Homer. ;)

Oh hell yeah, Hendrix fucking rules all. I totally understand The Beatles' place in history and importance, but I still think there are plenty of other bands who were better.
  • Oh hell yeah, Hendrix fucking rules all. I totally understand The Beatles' place in history and importance, but I still think there are plenty of other bands who were better.

As musicians? Sure. As songwriters? That depends upon whether you think less is more, in songwriting. Is In My Life an aesthetically more satisfying song than Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands, production values notwithstanding? Is Sad Eyed Lady more important given its influence on the development of lyrical songwriting, and if so, does that make it a better song than In My Life, which doesn't really explore simile, metaphor or other figurature language but talks literally without stylistic device?

What's better?

It's a matter of what you feel like, at the time. I've a couple of degrees in literature, and I could use all sorts of literary theory to big up Sad Eyed Lady. But, as a songwriter, I love the way the melody of In My Life connects with the words, and the ease with which the words can be sung clearly, and covered. They just register. In some ways, Hey Jude is similar. It's "forgettable" in the sense that it doesn't create any clever text or break lyrical cliches, but it sticks in the head, and not in the way that Agadoo by Black Lace or the Mr Blobby Theme sticks, either.

There's a sense of full circle about the way The Beatles used that nanananana section to Hey Jude. In 1968, everyone and their pet dog was trying to be heavy with words. Hey Jude was the first really clever post-rock boom, pop song.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    For those doubters, here are just some of the many reasons they are the most important band

They helped popularize rock music, they have influenced pretty much every rock band since them, they have created music with influences of many different genres (many of which were never used in rock music before), they were one of the first (if not the first) to create promotional videos, they influenced the way people dressed, they influenced the way people think, they were innovators in the studio/recording process, the have accomplished many incredibly remarkable records as for as sales and the billboard chart goes, they are one of the few rock bands that is well known in every part of the world.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
    If you're including artists, then I would say Elvis.
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    exactly, because there's nothing that special about the Stones.
    So who influenced the world more? ;)

We have all those shitty bands thanks to the Rolling Stones. That's why The Beatles are special.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    hmm. way back in the 70s in school, we were taught many songs to sing. we were all wee children with no concept of popular music. but one song i remember we all learned was yellow submarine. imagine my surprise when years later i was to utter the words, really? that's a beatles song? when i discovered the truth.

now, and despite the fact that i am hardly the biggest beatles fan, those simplistic songs are the songs i expose my children to most, purely because they are simple. they're easy to sing and catchy as hell.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • trammeustrammeus Posts: 124
    Klumpie wrote:
    The Rolling Stones were the first who played blues-rock. Mick Jagger was the first rocksinger who didn't sing like a boyband-boy

And what does it mean with importance and influence?
    Apart that there was Elvis before Jagger.
    Klumpie wrote:
    , but uses his own beastly vocals. Keith Richards was the first who played hard riffs on the guitar (also Dave Davies from the Kinks did this at the same time). Watts and Wyman were the first who introduced jazz rhythms in the rock music.

Jazz rythms???
    Watts had laways played the same rhythm and it has nothing to do with jazz.
    Klumpie wrote:
    Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath were all more influenced by The Rolling Stones then The Beatles.

What? Zep, DP and BS were influenced by the blues, nothing else.

The Rolling Stones were also the first who introduced sex, drugs and violence into the rock music.[/quote]

And so?

Klumpie wrote:
    The Beatles were doing nothing new, they were only doing things what other bands did before them. And they did it good, that's why they get much more credits then other bands.

oh my god, I cannot believe it.

http://www.scaruffi.com/vol1/beatles.html[/quote]
    Verona 93 - Milan 96 - Barcelona 96 - Verona 00 - Milan 00 - Turin 06 - Berlin 06 - Lisbon 07 - Madrid 07 - Katowice 07 - London 07 - Werchter 07
  • My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 927
    MCG wrote:
    The Caveman Rock Clappers are a personal favorite of mine, they really give it their all live in concert.

I actually did laugh out load at this!
    Just read this:

http://www.scaruffi.com/vol1/beatles.html

I won't discuss with all those Beatles fanatics here anymore. Keep believing what the teacher told you when you were 5 years old. :)
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    no. i know who the most important band of all time is - but i'm not going to tell you because it is not important
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Klumpie wrote:
    Just read this:

http://www.scaruffi.com/vol1/beatles.html

I won't discuss with all those Beatles fanatics here anymore. Keep believing what the teacher told you when you were 5 years old. :)

thats not even your opinion!! its someone else's...

baaa baaa .. what a sheep you must be...

ooohhh some itialian guy has a website dismissing the importance of The Beatles... oh well in that case i must bury my cd's in a gravel pit and burn all my beatles books... it must be true if some italian guy says its so!!

be your own person... baa baaaa
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • sasojsasoj Posts: 239
    the bacon brothers are the most important band ever ;)
    i love rock chicks
  • InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    The Beatles are the most overrated band in the history of music.
    dunkman wrote:
    thats not even your opinion!! its someone else's...
    So saying The Beatles are the most important band is your opinion...oh wait no, that's what 5 billion other people think too...so they are proberbly right.
    Inkdaub wrote:
    No, The Beatles are a good band...but maybe a little bit overhyped.
  • larslars Posts: 524
    suicidal tendencies are more important than the beatles
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    Inkdaub wrote:

sir*, you are quite correct!

* or madam, as the case may be!
  • dq4lifedq4life Posts: 154
    i would say led zeppelin is just as influential, if not more so.
  • korbykorby Posts: 298
    i just tried to play YESTERDAY , forget it.
    its ok
  • dq4life wrote:
    i would say led zeppelin is just as influential, if not more so.

Zep means fuck all to anyone except rednecks, who needed white people to play Hendrix. Why do you think he was murdered?

;)
  • Inkdaub wrote:

And your opinion might be a case of US post-imperialism trying to compete with UK post-imperialism, faced with the realisation that once the Chinese take over the world finally, their kids will love Ringo and not, er, wait, er, er..... :D

Teasin' ya, by the way. Or am I?
  • lars wrote:
    suicidal tendencies are more important than the beatles

International Sex Park is more important than Suicidal Tendencies.
  • pjhabitpjhabit Posts: 211
    Inkdaub wrote:
    I was thinking the same think when i read this thread
    Boise 11/3/00~Fargo 6/15/03~Winnipeg 9/8/05~St. Paul 6/26/06~6/27/06
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Inkdaub wrote:
    i think the rolling stones and zep and elvis are the most overrated, they took something black people were doing long before they were around. those bands just got credit for it cause white people hated blacks
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    if elvis was king
    who was james brown, GOD?

-amiri baraka. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    if elvis was king
    who was james brown, GOD?

-amiri baraka. :)
    nice quote, i like it alot
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Please read my post on the third page...............I have a hard time believing anybody can think they are the most important band after what I posted, unless of course you cant get over the fact that you dont like them.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • larslars Posts: 524
    International Sex Park is more important than Suicidal Tendencies.
    International Sex Park? Is that where you hang out with your homosexual friends?
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • I beg your pardon? Was that a rather poor attempt at wit?