The Beatles are the most important band ever

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited June 2007 in Other Music
A little while ago I got reamed for suggesting Nirvana was the most important band since the beatles/

This time I am taking a different path.

Are the beatles the most important band ever? I am inclined to think so.

I mean who ISNT influenced by the beatles?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Are the beatles the most important band ever?

yes. even if people dont like them msuically it would be churlish to ignore their importance on the musical world... they define an era and their importance is still relevant today.

when you read musicians interviews and they say how much they are influenced then the list becomes frightening... and these are musicians we are talking about.. they realise how musically important the Beatles are
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    The Rolling Stones are more important. Also Chuck Berry and the Beach Boys are more important.

Chuck Berry was the first who played with - vocals, bass, guitar and drum

Beach Boys were the first who played pop-rock songs and the first who made a conceptalbum, The Beatles were influenced by this and did this all a year later.

The Rolling Stones were the first who played blues-rock. Mick Jagger was the first rocksinger who didn't sing like a boyband-boy, but uses his own beastly vocals. Keith Richards was the first who played hard riffs on the guitar (also Dave Davies from the Kinks did this at the same time). Watts and Wyman were the first who introduced jazz rhythms in the rock music. Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath were all more influenced by The Rolling Stones then The Beatles. The Rolling Stones were also the first who introduced sex, drugs and violence into the rock music.

The Beatles were doing nothing new, they were only doing things what other bands did before them. And they did it good, that's why they get much more credits then other bands.

http://www.scaruffi.com/vol1/beatles.html
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    While I prefer the Stones music to the Beatles, the Fab 4 had more impact musically.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Klumpie wrote:
    The Rolling Stones are more important. Also Chuck Berry and the Beach Boys are more important.

Wrong, you could at least explain yourself if you disagree.

The Beatles are the most important, it would be stupid to argue even if you dont like them.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    Personally I disdain the Beatles. They got big because they had a new sound, not because they were extremely talented. They wrote extremely simplistic, often forgettable rock songs. But they were the first people EVER to write simplistic, often forgettable rock songs. People latched onto this new sound, of course, but what would have happened if the Beatles never existed? Their laid back 60's rock never would have evolved into the intense, emotional, good music of the 70's.

So maybe the Beatles weren't that great in a vacuum. But that's because they were the first rockers. Inexperienced, mostly. But they paved the way for other rock bands to spring up, and every rock band (good or bad) of the 60's and 70's owes their existance to the Beatles, who laid the first brick of the kingdom.. of... rock. Yes, that was very cheesy. There is no kingdom of rock. Whatever. They laid the first brick.

Out.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Klumpie wrote:

Chuck Berry:
    big influence on the Beatles. however, if not for the Beatles, who knows how important he'd even be. remember, the Beatles were rejected at their first audition because they were told that "guitar bands are on the way out." maybe they were....until the Beatles exploded and everyone tried to imitate them. maybe guys even as great as Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly would just fade away if not for them.

The Beach Boys:
    great band but not on the Beatles level as far as creativity. not to discredit the Beach Boys though, but Pet Sounds is the only album that can be called a masterpiece. every other post-Pet Sounds album seems just thrown together with no direction. and the albums without Brian Wilson aren't too good if you ask me. but really, the early Beach Boys songs (California Girls, Surfin' USA, etc) aren't as good as the early Beatles songs. the Beach Boys peak creative period (Pet Sounds, Smiley Smile, Wild Honey) don't even touch Sgt. Pepper's, Magical Mystery Tour or the White album in terms of not only creativity, but musicianship and lyrics (remember that none of the Beach Boys wrote any Pet Sounds lyrics and the instruments were all played by session musicians except for "That's Not Me"). I love the Beach Boys, but they aren't more important than the Beatles. and I think Brian Wilson is a genius, but he's not even close to Lennon or McCartney.

The Rolling Stones:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. you can't be serious. they're a better than average rock band, that's all.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • sasojsasoj Posts: 239
    pearl jam is the best band ever
    i love rock chicks
  • corycory Posts: 736
    What about Carl Perkins who influenced the Beatles?

Carl was my great uncle. I was at his funeral and George Harrison was there. Paul McCartney visited Carl's wife the night before and recorded a video speech for the funeral attendees.

Each of the Beatles have said that he was their inspiration to play music.

That being said, I'm not a big fan of Carl's music overall, but to each his own. Whatever moves YOU.

He could play some fucking guitar though. I'll give him that. And all without the use of his pinky finger on his fret hand.
    Revive the heart of the heartless...

Why would you start was has no end?
  • DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    Alex_Coe wrote:
    Personally I disdain the Beatles. They got big because they had a new sound, not because they were extremely talented. They wrote extremely simplistic, often forgettable rock songs. But they were the first people EVER to write simplistic, often forgettable rock songs. People latched onto this new sound, of course, but what would have happened if the Beatles never existed? Their laid back 60's rock never would have evolved into the intense, emotional, good music of the 70's.

So maybe the Beatles weren't that great in a vacuum. But that's because they were the first rockers. Inexperienced, mostly. But they paved the way for other rock bands to spring up, and every rock band (good or bad) of the 60's and 70's owes their existance to the Beatles, who laid the first brick of the kingdom.. of... rock. Yes, that was very cheesy. There is no kingdom of rock. Whatever. They laid the first brick.

Out.
    If the Beatles had stopped before the Rubber Soul album, your post might start to make sense. But they progressed musically from that point forward, moving from those simplistic songs to much more complex stuff like the tunes on Sgt Pepper's or Abbey Road. The Beatles carried their own sound forward. Other band didn't need to do it for them. As for them being the first rockers, I'm not sure that's true either, if you read the other posts in the thread.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • pdh1978pdh1978 Posts: 211
    Klumpie wrote:

Chuck Berry was the first who played with - vocals, bass, guitar and drum

Beach Boys were the first who played pop-rock songs and the first who made a conceptalbum, The Beatles were influenced by this and did this all a year later.

Um, Brian Wilson has said in many interviews that the reason he worked so hard on the Beach Boys greatest album, Pet Sounds, was because he had listened to Sergeant Peppers', and he felt he had to compete with that. So the Beatles definitely influenced him...
    If you all stop hitting refresh for just two minutes, I can buy my tickets...
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Beatles and Stones influenced everyone after them.

Chuck Berry did the same.

Elvis influenced music, culture, and race.
    I love to turn you on
  • Alex_Coe wrote:
    They wrote extremely simplistic, often forgettable rock songs. But they were the first people EVER to write simplistic, often forgettable rock songs.

I bet you can remember those forgettable rock songs, though.
  • pdh1978 wrote:
    Um, Brian Wilson has said in many interviews that the reason he worked so hard on the Beach Boys greatest album, Pet Sounds, was because he had listened to Sergeant Peppers', and he felt he had to compete with that. So the Beatles definitely influenced him...

Ah, well, Brian Wilson is loopy. ;) Recording for Pet Sounds was mainly concurrent with the sessions for Rubber Soul and Revolver. The sessions for Pet Sounds began in July 1965, and the album was released in May 1966. Rubber Soul was released in December 1965; Revolver in August 1966. Sgt Pepper wasn't released until June 1967, by which time the Beach Boys' Smile sessions had ended.

Macca has said that he was very influenced by the "clean sounds" on Pet Sounds, and his bass playing on Sgt Pepper - which Paul really worked on and often recorded last on each number, after all the other tracks were done - was largely trying to get that Beach Boys feel.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I bet you can remember those forgettable rock songs, though.

Yeah I can remember every excruciating 'na na na na' from Hey Jude - an absolute steaming turd of a song.
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    sasoj wrote:
    pearl jam is the best band ever

Enough said. Thank you sasoj!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Yeah I can remember every excruciating 'na na na na' from Hey Jude - an absolute steaming turd of a song.

Just as I can remember every excruciating "Baaaaabeeee baaaaabeeee baaaaaabeeeee" from a dreadful Zep song. Now say something constructive.
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    cory wrote:
    What about Carl Perkins who influenced the Beatles?

Carl was my great uncle. I was at his funeral and George Harrison was there. Paul McCartney visited Carl's wife the night before and recorded a video speech for the funeral attendees.

Each of the Beatles have said that he was their inspiration to play music.

That being said, I'm not a big fan of Carl's music overall, but to each his own. Whatever moves YOU.

He could play some fucking guitar though. I'll give him that. And all without the use of his pinky finger on his fret hand.

CARL PERKINS' CADILLAC
    Life ain't nothing but a blending up of all the ups and downs
    Dammit Elvis, don't you know
    You made your Mama so proud
    Before you ever made that record, before there ever was a Sun
    Before you ever lost that Cadillac that Carl Perkins won

Mr. Phillips found old Johnny Cash and he was high
    High before he ever took those pills and he's still too proud to die
    Mr. Phillips never said anything behind nobody's back
    Like "Dammit Elvis, don't he know, he ain't no Johnny Cash"

If Mr. Phillips was the only man that Jerry Lee still would call sir
    Then I guess Mr. Phillips did all of Y'all about as good as you deserve
    He did just what he said he was gonna do and the money came in sacks
    New contracts and Carl Perkins' Cadillac

I got friends in Nashville, or at least they're folks I know
    Nashville is where you go to see if what they said is so
    Carl drove his brand new Cadillac to Nashville and he went downtown
    This time they promised him a Grammy
    He turned his Cadillac around

Mr. Phillips never blew enough hot air to need a little gold plated paperweight
    He promised him a Cadillac and put the wind in Carl's face
    He did just what he said he was gonna do and the money came in sacks
    New contracts and Carl Perkins' Cadillac

Dammit Elvis, I swear son I think it's time you came around
    Making money you can't spend ain't what being dead's about
    You gave me all but one good reason not to do all the things you did
    Now Cadillacs are fiberglass, if you were me you'd call it quits
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Just as I can remember every excruciating "Baaaaabeeee baaaaabeeee baaaaaabeeeee" from a dreadful Zep song. Now say something constructive.

Ok, people are incapable of judging The Beatle's output from a purely objective standpoint, because it has forever been drummed into everyone's heads from birth, that The Beatles were the 'start' of rock, and nobody else can come close.

I don't doubt their influence, but on a technical basis, they are no more important than the artists who influenced them in the first place.
    DocChicago wrote:
    If the Beatles had stopped before the Rubber Soul album, your post might start to make sense. But they progressed musically from that point forward, moving from those simplistic songs to much more complex stuff like the tunes on Sgt Pepper's or Abbey Road. The Beatles carried their own sound forward. Other band didn't need to do it for them. As for them being the first rockers, I'm not sure that's true either, if you read the other posts in the thread.

Sorry, I just say what the TV box tells me. And the picture box says the beatles were the first big rock band. So that's what I parrot :\

squawk

squawk
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Alex_Coe wrote:

Out.
    On the whole, The Beatles wrote anything but simple music. Most of their catalog is very complex musically and very hard for professional musicians to replicate. Not impossible, just not easy at all.
    Ok, people are incapable of judging The Beatle's output from a purely objective standpoint, because it has forever been drummed into everyone's heads from birth, that The Beatles were the 'start' of rock, and nobody else can come close.

I don't doubt their influence, but on a technical basis, they are no more important than the artists who influenced them in the first place.

actually, it wasn't drummed into my head that they were the start of rock, it was drummed into my head that they were the BEST rock band. and I didn't like that. My earliest recollections of listening to my dad's vinyls were loving CCR and the Beach Boys but not liking the Beatles. now, the only Beatles that my dad owned at the time were Hard Day's NIght, Revolver and the Yellow Submarine soundtrack. this is the best band in the world? not to discredit those works but I just said, "dad, it's okay but not as good as Elvis or Chuck Berry."

my next attempt at the Beatles came maybe when I was 10 or so and my dad had bought himself the White Album. it was like a roller coaster. some songs came off as the best song I'd ever heard (USSR, While My Guitar, Birthday), some came off as terrible to me (Everybody has something to hide, Honey Pie, Long Long Long) and some things I had no idea what to make of (Revolution 9, Good Night, Helter Skelter, Piggies). i just didn't get them. I was only 11 though I guess.

it wasn't until I was 13 so and got into Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon that I got the Beatles. by now, I had turned away from my dad's rock and dug what was going on at the time (Nirvana, PJ, Guns, Smashing Pumpkins, etc). but then I, like everyone else, heard Darkside of the Moon and was enchanted with psychedelic tracks like On the Run and Any Colour You like. and songs like Time that has just this atmosphere to it that makes it more than just a rock song with a good solo. I began listening to Floyd and Led Zeppelin all the time....and suddenly Helter Sketler and Revolution 9 made a little sense. I stole my dad's white album CD and listened to it all the time

god, i've been ranting (let's call it reminiscing). finally I go to a CD store with the intent to buy a Beatles album. looked through the rack and track listings, and went with Magical Mystery Tour because it had the most familiar sounding song titles on it (Penny Lane, All You Need Is Love, Strawberry Fields Forever) and there was no turning back. the next year was the Beatles anthology series and finally there were faces to go with the voices and stories behind the songs and I was obsessed. so in closing, not everyone thinks highly of the Beatles because it's what we've always told. and and it's possible to go from not liking them to them being your favorite band of all time. and trust me, once you finally get, a splendid time is guaranteed for all. AND TONIGHT MR. KITE IT TOPPING THE BILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    aNiMaL wrote:
    On the whole, The Beatles wrote anything but simple music. Most of their catalog is very complex musically and very hard for professional musicians to replicate. Not impossible, just not easy at all.

Noes! TV box says they were simple. I believe TV. TV is heap strong. TV is your father.
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780

Who influenced the Beatles? If they influenced the worlds most important band wouldn't that make them the worlds most important band? I've successfully blown my own mind, daily mind blowing count is at 3.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
    MCG wrote:
    Who influenced the Beatles? If they influenced the worlds most important band wouldn't that make them the worlds most important band? I've successfully blown my own mind, daily mind blowing count is at 3.

well obviously it's not like the Beatles invented music. they were influenced by guys like Chuck Berry who was influenced by guys like Leadbelly who probably listened to things like dixieland which has roots in folk and on and on. I mean we can go all the way back to cavemen clapping two rocks together for percussion if we want.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    well obviously it's not like the Beatles invented music. they were influenced by guys like Chuck Berry who was influenced by guys like Leadbelly who probably listened to things like dixieland which has roots in folk and on and on. I mean we can go all the way back to cavemen clapping two rocks together for percussion if we want.

The Caveman Rock Clappers are a personal favorite of mine, they really give it their all live in concert.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    The Beatles are not most important band!!!!!!! It is Chris Cornell and his band!!!!!! He makes beautiful music!!!!! Carry On is a masterpiece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MCG wrote:
    The Caveman Rock Clappers are a personal favorite of mine, they really give it their all live in concert.

yeah but if you're not close to the stage, you probably won't hear much.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I've only recently started seriously listening to the Beatles. They have always been my mom's favorite band since she was a pre-teen in the sixties, and when I was a youngster she would sometimes play stuff from their earlier years in the car... songs like She Loves You, Can't Buy Me Love, you know the type. I didn't like or dislike it. But recently I started listening to Sgt. Pepper's, the White Album, and Abbey Road, and a lot of it is really amazing. They have their fair share of poppy numbers reminiscent of their earlier years but the rest is complex music while still retaining melody. It's quite a feat if you think about it.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    The Rolling Stones:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. you can't be serious. they're a better than average rock band, that's all.
    Great argument. ;)

The question isn't who do you like the most??? Because I like the Beatles also better then The Rolling Stones.

But the question is???
    Are the beatles the most important band ever?

This was my answer:
    Klumpie wrote:
    The Rolling Stones were the first who played blues-rock. Mick Jagger was the first rocksinger who didn't sing like a boyband-boy, but uses his own beastly vocals. Keith Richards was the first who played hard riffs on the guitar (also Dave Davies from the Kinks did this at the same time). Watts and Wyman were the first who introduced jazz rhythms in the rock music. Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath were all more influenced by The Rolling Stones then The Beatles. The Rolling Stones were also the first who introduced sex, drugs and violence into the rock music.

http://www.scaruffi.com/vol1/beatles.html
    Nowaday there are more bands you can compare with The Rolling Stones then the Beatles.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Klumpie wrote:
    Great argument. ;)

The question isn't who do you like the most??? Because I like the Beatles also better then The Rolling Stones.

But the question is???

This was my answer:

Nowaday there are more bands you can compare with The Rolling Stones then the Beatles.

the beatles ARE the most IMPORTANT band ever.. the Stones were a good blues band but they had to get The Beatles to hand them a hit in their early career.. a song that Paul and John thought so substandard they gave it to Ringo to sing!

The Stones just took the blues and made it white mans blues... they arent as important as the beatles and thats fact...

name me 5... you name me five... not some magazine review or stoopid website list.. YOU name me 5!!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.