bands pushing the musical boundaries

Comments

• boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    HushBull wrote:
    You think between Undertow and say, Lateralus, that Tool has not grown musically? Uhhhhh........

Not in the slightest. I own all their albums and have listened to them quite a bit. Every Tool song sounds just like every other Tool song.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    boroff89 wrote:
    Not in the slightest. I own all their albums and have listened to them quite a bit. Every Tool song sounds just like every other Tool song.

I'm not sure how you figure that. If you said 10 000 days is somewhat of a repetition I'd give you some credit, but there is a lot of change from Opiate to Lateralus.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Posts: 137
    This is how you remind me of an av-er-age band
    me and some dudes I used to jam with used to parody that...it's really the only word that fits. It was around the release of that song so their suckness hadn't completely sunk in....back when they'd only written that song once.
    This guy wouldn't know magesty if it bit him in the face- Strong bad

www.myspace.com/lastgeneration56
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    A Zeuhl mention on the pit :eek::eek::eek:

Now I've seen everything.

Can I assume you're a Magma fan?
    You can assume whatever you like ;)

p.s. - Acid Mothers Temple is the greatest band in the history of bands.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,854
    boroff89 wrote:
    Tool pushes musical boundaries? How? How does making essentially the same song and same album over and over push any boundaries?

agree totally. not so much about them making the same song over and over. but they definitely do the same BORING bullshit on every album
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Posts: 137
    I can't believe mention of the new b-52's album hasn't popped up on this thread. The pirates of juke box money are pushing musical boundaries....like nickel back pushed them over a cliff and elbow dropped them from 30k feet...
    This guy wouldn't know magesty if it bit him in the face- Strong bad

www.myspace.com/lastgeneration56
  • Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

"Make our day"
  • Tool? Give me a fucking break.

Now I'm a massive Soundgarden fanboy but credit where its due-these guys were always progressive. I am yet to hear a band sound like them (maybe QOTSA to some extent) or use guitar driven rock so innovatively and get so much complexity out of a relatively simple band set-up. These boys pushed the boundaries with new tunnings and time signatures and neither one of their last three albums sounds alike. I really think they were going somewhere amazing.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Timbaland
    NERDS!
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    You can assume whatever you like ;)

Great band indeed :)

Now these are some genuine boundary pushing bands.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Most Mike Patton projects (Faith No More, Mr. Bungle and Fantomas)

Tom Waits
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    Tool pushes boundaries for being a hard rock/metal band. No one sounds like they do. Listen to Opiate and then listen to Lateralus or their latest that I can't remember the name. Just because they aren't using technology like Radiohead, doesn't mean they aren't pushing boundaries or creative.

I don't know what boundaries there are now. I mean MIA seems to be doing different stuff with techno dance and hip hop sort of beats. MGMT is doing different stuff. So is Saul Williams. This is a weird time for music. The whole industry is changing. It's great, but a bit unpredictable.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I'd put Animal Collective in here. They have a knack for mixing beautiful melodies with complete bullshit. I can't think of another band that irks me like this one, which IMO is a good thing. Keeps me on my toes.
    transplant wrote:
    I'd put Animal Collective in here. They have a knack for mixing beautiful melodies with complete bullshit. I can't think of another band that irks me like this one, which IMO is a good thing. Keeps me on my toes.
    AC are just mental. I know what you mean about them keeping you on your toes.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • bands like tool

radiohead

mars volta

basically bands who with each new album are experimental and push the boundaries of music and sound.

who else would you include?

at the drive-in did. the blood brothers did. these arms are snakes to a certain extent.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469

which album do you recommend starting with????
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Todd76 wrote:
    which album do you recommend starting with????
    That's not really all that important. They are consistant. They've recorded something like 64 albums since 1996-ish. You can look it up, they've got a website.. http://www.acidmothers.com/

If this had come up in the begining of the thread I would have had 27 albums on here to upload but they're not on the computer anymore. Check bittorrent if you're like that... I wouldn't feel too bad about that desicion because it would be hard to get any other way. Boredline impossible for older stuff.

Browse - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_Mothers_Temple#Discography

The second track on Hot Rattlesnakes is chill enough to mention. Anything live you can find. The first album Acid Mothers Temple would be good to listen to. It's less insane than other albums like Electric Heavyland and a lot of the other Melting Paradaiso U.F.O. stuff.

It's not all instrumental either, Have You Seen The Other Side Of The Sky? is one I know of with vocals. They also have musicians and other bands swoop in and out of the line up frequently. I'm after the performances with a band called Afrirampo - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrirampo .

I know for a fact that members of the "other music" forum on this site's forum.. http://www.greenplastic.com .. upload an enormous amount of math/prog/psychadelic/noise/whatever music,.. a lot of Japanese stuff.

Beware: there are a lot of dicks in there. Pretentiousness is a fog that looms over that forum's members. It sustains them. You should do a search for "Acid Mothers Temple" and anything related. "Merzbow", "Battles", "japnoise", etc. in there too. Some of the links were still good last time I checked. It's probably even being updated. If you start your own thread they'll insult you and tell you to do a search.

"Make our day"
  • transplant wrote:
    Good call! Broken Social Scene to an extent.. they have a different kind of formula to the entire "band" idea. It's a band of personalities and individuals rather than.. say a frontman, lead guitarist, and some other dudes... O_O.. Anyway, "You Forgot It In People" has some of the best songwriting in that genre's existance.

Lou Reed pushed it pretty hard for awhile too.

"Make our day"
  • My Morning Jacket.

...and even though i'm not a fan, Mars Volta.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Mike Patton without a doubt. Iv never heard of any other artist who recorded themselves taking a shit then incorporated it into a song. And also that recent colab with that Italian Classical Group or something. Dont get 'muchos' classier than that!
    S'cuse the shit name!
    Mike Patton without a doubt. Iv never heard of any other artist who recorded themselves taking a shit then incorporated it into a song. And also that recent colab with that Italian Classical Group or something. Dont get 'muchos' classier than that!
    I think Patton is generally at his best when he makes actual songs. I went through a big phase of checking out all his experimental stuff, all the Fantomas, Bungle, Tomahawk stuff, his solo albums, Kaada/Patton, the stuff he did with John Zorn and Tzadik records and his collaborations with Eyvind Kang and, looking back, none of it really matches up to Faith No More :p Apart from the stuff with Kang which is beautiful.
  • Mike Patton without a doubt. Iv never heard of any other artist who recorded themselves taking a shit then incorporated it into a song. And also that recent colab with that Italian Classical Group or something. Dont get 'muchos' classier than that!

How did I forget Patton?! :rolleyes:

FNM, Mr Bungle and Peeping Tom are awesome IMO but Fantomas and Tomahawk are also worth checking out :)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

Some others for people to check out if they haven't already:

Boris (just brilliant. Seen some love for them round here before but NOT ENOUGH :D)
    Autechre
    Kayo Dot (Toby Driver in general)
    Francisco Lopez (definitely not for everyone but rewarding if you have the patience. He basically makes field recordings of natural sounds. If nothing else he's pushing the boundaries of the role and definition of the "musician")
    Natural Snow Buildings (their albums are LONG and kind of bipolar in terms of genre but incredible all the same:) )
    William Basinski (Especially the Disintegration Loops, one of the few albums of its kind I can think of where the music is amazing enough to match the potentially fatally self-indulgent concept. For more info - http://www.stylusmagazine.com/review.php?ID=1691)
  • Oh! Because I saw her the other night and because she's generally awesome.... Cat Power :o

Oh! Because I saw her the other night and because she's generally awesome.... Cat Power :o
    :eek: How was she? I REALLY wanted to go but it was my friend's birthday and we had a meal etc etc. I don't begrudge her, at least not openly :p but I would loved to have seen Chan. Birmingham Academy yes?

How was the setlist? I need to catch her sometime soon.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    How was she? I REALLY wanted to go but it was my friend's birthday and we had a meal etc etc. I don't begrudge her, at least not openly but I would loved to have seen Chan. Birmingham Academy yes?

How was the setlist? I need to catch her sometime soon.

It was AMAAAAAAZING!!!
    I couldn't believe the control she has over her voice! :eek: There was only about 200 people at the gig (they moved it upstairs to the Academy 2) and it was so intimate.
    I can't find a setlist anywhere :( but from what I remember, she played 'Aretha, Sing One For Me', 'Blue', 'Lived in Bars' (that was awesome!), a cover of 'Fortunate Son' (:eek::D), 'Metal Heart', 'Son to Bobby', 'New York' and 'Ramblin' (wo)man'. She was on for ages and her band were great... I wanna see her again... you seriously missed out i'm afraid!

I'm off to see Alanis there next week :D

It was AMAAAAAAZING!!!
    I couldn't believe the control she has over her voice! :eek: There was only about 200 people at the gig (they moved it upstairs to the Academy 2) and it was so intimate.
    I can't find a setlist anywhere : ( but from what I remember, she played 'Aretha, Sing One For Me', 'Blue', 'Lived in Bars' (that was awesome!), a cover of 'Fortunate Son' (:eek:: D), 'Metal Heart', 'Son to Bobby', 'New York' and 'Ramblin' (wo)man'. She was on for ages and her band were great... I wanna see her again... you seriously missed out i'm afraid!

I'm off to see Alanis there next week :D
    Metal Heart is SO amazing :o I think I prefer the Moon Pix version to the one on Jukebox but it's probably just because I knew that one first. It's still great. Aretha, Sing One For Me is awesome. I REALLY need to see her :)
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    It was AMAAAAAAZING!!!
    I can't find a setlist anywhere :( but from what I remember, she played 'Aretha, Sing One For Me', 'Blue', 'Lived in Bars' (that was awesome!), a cover of 'Fortunate Son' (:eek::D), 'Metal Heart', 'Son to Bobby', 'New York' and 'Ramblin' (wo)man'. She was on for ages and her band were great... I wanna see her again... you seriously missed out i'm afraid!
    Add to that She's Got You, Angelitos Negros, Silver Stallion, I Feel...that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

What I was most impressed with was picking up What Would The Community Think and Moon Pix for a fiver each! :eek:
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
    audiodave wrote:
    ]
    What I was most impressed with was picking up What Would The Community Think and Moon Pix for a fiver each! :eek:
    Niiiice. That was at the merchandise stand? :eek: That's crazy cheap.

I myself finally picked up a physical copy of You Are Free yesterday. It's not often I do that with an album I already have digitally but she's worth it :D
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    That's not really all that important. They are consistant. They've recorded something like 64 albums since 1996-ish. You can look it up, they've got a website.. http://www.acidmothers.com/

Thanks......I always try to check out as many of Jeremy's recommendations as I can.....when I saw how massive their catalogue is (64 albums in 10 years - thats INSANE) I hoped there might be one quintessential Acid Mothers Temple album that would be a good starting point

the site that I use to acquire new music has a TON of their stuff.....I guess i'll try the always reliable eeny meeny miny mo method :)

EDIT: as far as bands pushing musical boundaries - I HIGHLY recommend Estradasphere (Palace Of Mirrors is a MUST have - should appeal to any Patton/Bungle/Zorn fans out there), Secret Chiefs 3, and Melt Banana
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!