bands pushing the musical boundaries

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited June 2008 in Other Music
bands like tool

radiohead

mars volta

basically bands who with each new album are experimental and push the boundaries of music and sound.

who else would you include?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AlBorlandAlBorland Posts: 117
    I'd say My Morning Jacket. They could have easily keep churning out spacey southern rock tunes, but they've really expanded their horizons with these last couple of albums.
    Skeletons ain't got nowhere to stick their money.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    The Mars Volta without a doubt
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Tool pushes musical boundaries? How? How does making essentially the same song and same album over and over push any boundaries?

The Mars Volta and Radiohead I would agree with. Arcade Fire certainly does. Thrice has begun to.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I don't really think there are musical boundaries anymore. There's a niche for every market and I can't really think of a single taboo in music other than contraversial topics. Bands may do some strange/new things but I wouldn't say they're making the unacceptable acceptable.[/pedant]
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • The bands pushing the musical boundaries aren't the ones you'd expect (ie, anyone connected to the so-called post-rock genre). That pretentiously named band that's something to do with liking trains is a case in point. They're to Godspeed!, etc, what an artist such as Tracey Emin is to Marcel Duchamp: a tenth-generation, washed out, state-approved, formulaic mockery of what was once a great idea.

However, THE HUB always seems to make music that isn't only sonically experimental but loaded with a kind of social relevance you can't bullshit:

http://www.myspace.com/thehubnyc
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    the mars volta without a doubt..unique
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Nickelback
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • geishagrrl wrote:
    Fuck yeah! Talk about pushing musical boundaries,.. polyrhythms ! Don Caballero is awesome as well.

Afrirampo,.. the Mars Volta is an excellent suggestion,..
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Tommy Guerrero
    Anything Mike Patton
    NERDS!
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    id say QOTSA to an extent. they definately challenge you. at least on the newest one.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
    geishagrrl wrote:

they are fucked up. i DLd that stuff about a year ago and man was it weird.

there is a difference between challenging the boundaries and being shit. to each their own though.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
    MGMT, havent heard a band combine this many genres since Sublime
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Chris Cornell :D
    NERDS!
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    Meshuggah, with out a doubt. Try listening to that and tell me they aren't in a class of thier own.

Also I would have to say Opeth, they are just amazing.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Posts: 137
    Nickelback

This is how you remind me of an av-er-age band
    This guy wouldn't know magesty if it bit him in the face- Strong bad

www.myspace.com/lastgeneration56
  • they are fucked up. i DLd that stuff about a year ago and man was it weird.

there is a difference between challenging the boundaries and being shit. to each their own though.
    So you can't handle it? ;)

Battles is tame. As a matter of fact a lot of Don Caballero/other post rock and math rock fans think they're too poppy. Too commercial. And to be honest when you compare them to their former projects and contemporaries they are really poppy.

Ruins & Koenjihyakkei - Math rock/Zeuhl. Now Koenji, there's a band you'll hate :D
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    This is how you remind me of an av-er-age band

Calling them average is too positive. Worst band ever might be better way of putting it.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• memememe Posts: 4,695
    I would add Jack White.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Matt LukinMatt Lukin Posts: 647
    The car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
    And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
  • doujodoujo Posts: 285
    Porcupine Tree
  • The_Fixer The_Fixer Posts: 255
    Nickelback

Nickelback? You serious?
    Montreal 08/20/98 | New York 09/11/98 | Wantagh 08/24/00 | Montreal 10/04/00 | Montreal 06/29/03 | Montreal 09/15/05
    Toronto 05/10/06 | Vancouver 04/02//08 (Ed) | Manchester 06/14/08 | Montreal 08/09/08 (Ed) | Montreal 08/10/08 (Ed) 
    Albany 06/08/09 (Ed) | Philadelphia 10/31/09 | Montreal 09/07/11 | Ottawa 05/08/16 | Brooklyn 04/07/17 (RRHOF)
    Dana Point 09/09/17 (Ed) | Rome 06/26/18
  • id say QOTSA to an extent. they definately challenge you. at least on the newest one.

Totally agree.

QOTSA challenge you is an understatement.

And it only took 4 posts for Tool to get bashed. That was fast.
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    That pretentiously named band that's something to do with liking trains is a case in point. They're to Godspeed!, etc, what an artist such as Tracey Emin is to Marcel Duchamp
    You are the best person ever.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    radiohead. nin. mike patton's side projects.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009

Ruins & Koenjihyakkei - Math rock/Zeuhl. Now Koenji, there's a band you'll hate :D

awesome, i will check them out! :p
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    A Zeuhl mention on the pit :eek::eek::eek:

Now I've seen everything.

Can I assume you're a Magma fan?
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    Totally agree.

Yay for QOTSA and Tool!

The Mars Volta, I do like...but they seem to just be expanding their velocity of playing or the number of sounds going on. Their music writing actually really progressing at this point, not so much. But I must add, their new drummer is an absolute freak.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=PQh0WPKp8Ds&feature=related Thomas Pridgen
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Totally agree.

I actually like Tool, to an extent. They are good at what they do. But what they do is very limited. It certainly doesn't push musical boundaries. And they haven't grown a single bit since their first album. I always find that sad.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    boroff89 wrote:
    I actually like Tool, to an extent. They are good at what they do. But what they do is very limited. It certainly doesn't push musical boundaries. And they haven't grown a single bit since their first album. I always find that sad.
    You think between Undertow and say, Lateralus, that Tool has not grown musically? Uhhhhh........
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"