Amy Winehouse's Rehab

2»

Comments

• nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Amy has an amazing voice. Say what you like, you may not like her but she has talent. :p

Edit: if you want to hear horrible, Nickelback-Rockstar, absolute shiiiiittte!
  • sponger wrote:
    Even for hip-hop, it sucks big ass.

lol! x 10 :D
  • sponger wrote:
    So, with the all the hype surrounding her and that song lately, I decided to give a listen.

Is it me or is that song just plain terrible? Even for hip-hop, it sucks big ass. Is the rest of her music just as bad?

Has the world's musical tastes gone even more bonkers than ever before?

um this is not hip hop, and it's not a new song...
  • ajedigecko wrote:
    she is the equivilant of brian setzer and the "zuit zoot riot" fad.

hahaha omg, my sophomore year of college we all learned how to swing dance...
  • She's still only running on about half a cylinder of her true potential, and what she's achieved already has deservedly made its mark.

THANK YOU!! *oooh blows kisses to Fins, as he ducks*. :D

She's not entirely original but she's a good singer and has a great/cool voice. It's got nothing to do with her personality.

And where does hip hop come into it? :confused:

Anyway, this is for me and anyone else who likes her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WTzhWACsHc
  • First of all, she definitley isn't anything anywhere near hip-hop. I really don't understand the success of "Rehab" at all but, I do think she has talent and with the exception of her beating Springsteen, I was glad to see her win some grammys simply because it is so different and daring. She has a song called "Back In Black" which I think is fantastic.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • spongersponger Posts: 3,159
    Thanks everyone for sharing your views on her and that song in particular.

As I was typing that post, I did pause for a moment to contemplate the validity of classifying her into the category of hip-hop. The sound didn't strike me directly as being hip-hop, but it did have some hip-hop flavor to it. The beats aren't purely motown -there is some modern influence to her sound which can be traced to current pop music, which isn't too far off from being hip-hop.

However, I had the sneaking the suspicion that if I allowed that misclassification to slip through, it would give so many people the opportunity to actually correct someone's lack of judgment. Once or twice is to be expected, but after reading post after post commenting on it, one has to wonder if it really is a heroin rush to comment on how wrong a person's views might be in spite of it having been mentioned repetitively throughout a thread. Thank you for the subtle amusement. It has been enlightening.
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    From what I have heard, I kinda dig some of her stuff. It is very retro but I like that just because it's different. I feel like I'm listening to an old 45 of 60's music or something.
    I think she can be compared to Nora Jones. Somehow they both found success despite the fact that what they put out is not normally associated with modern popular music.
    Brian
  • I think it's refreshing for a girl like Amy, with a powerful voice, not to be so intent on a perfect performance, instead focusing on delivering emotion, and I think she does it brilliantly. She also comes across as very humble and almost shy, the very opposite of people like Mariah and Whitney.
  • NCBRI wrote:
    From what I have heard, I kinda dig some of her stuff. It is very retro but I like that just because it's different. I feel like I'm listening to an old 45 of 60's music or something.
    I think she can be compared to Nora Jones. Somehow they both found success despite the fact that what they put out is not normally associated with modern popular music.

Norah Jones is okay but Amy Winehouse is a better singer. I mean, in a classical sense. She can hold a note better. :)
  • I think it's refreshing for a girl like Amy, with a powerful voice, not to be so intent on a perfect performance, instead focusing on delivering emotion, and I think she does it brilliantly. She also comes across as very humble and almost shy, the very opposite of people like Mariah and Whitney.

Yeah. I think she's great. I love watching her perform too. The way she does all that arm stuff. :D
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Norah Jones is okay but Amy Winehouse is a better singer. I mean, in a classical sense. She can hold a note better. :)

I just used her as a comparrison because she found her way onto the pop charts and won a grammy. She did this despite the fact that the genre of her music basically never makes it onto the pop charts these days.
    Brian
  • sponger wrote:
    However, I had the sneaking the suspicion that if I allowed that misclassification to slip through, it would give so many people the opportunity to actually correct someone's lack of judgment. Once or twice is to be expected, but after reading post after post commenting on it, one has to wonder if it really is a heroin rush to comment on how wrong a person's views might be in spite of it having been mentioned repetitively throughout a thread. Thank you for the subtle amusement. It has been enlightening.

Oooooh, I see. So you didn't just accidentally say something that made you look like a total square. Rather, it was an intentional social experiment intended to highlight our own shortcomings.

How embarrassing for all of us!?

:rolleyes: :D
  • drew0 wrote:
    After watching her Grammy performance, I thought it was honestly better than 'Rehab'. It wasn't anything special - let alone to have her perform at the Grammy Awards, but I think 'Rehab' was one of the worst songs of the year. When my brother said it was up for awards, I asked what song it was - he played it for me (I had heard it, just didn't know what it was), and I couldn't figure out for the life of me why it was even popular - let alone up for a Grammy. Although, I guess I don't really take the Grammys seriously anymore.

I guess she is is unique vocally. But that style of music is not my deal. Plus the whole 'I'm a celebrity, life is so tough, I need to go to rehab' gives me the shits. Ms. Winehouse, spend a year doing an honours degree and then tell me your life sucks :)

Regarding the grammy's, well I stoped paying attention after Superunkown failed to win best rock album.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    good track but damn that's all they (US radio station) play from that album. There's more than a handful of great tunes too.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • LongRd. wrote:
    good track but damn that's all they (US radio station) play from that album. There's more than a handful of great tunes too.

No, I've heard one other one... and it's really bad.

I just can't listen to her sing, her voice is almost cringe-worthy to me.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
    Oooooh, I see. So you didn't just accidentally say something that made you look like a total square. Rather, it was an intentional social experiment intended to highlight our own shortcomings.

How embarrassing for all of us!?

:rolleyes: :D

Sounds crazy, but I don't fib unless I'm talking to an authority figure and it has something to do with the preservation of my personal freedom.

Truth be told, I had the notion that hip-hop would not be the best choice, but I had a twisted curiosity about seeing how many people would get a stick up their butt about it.
  • sponger wrote:
    Sounds crazy, but I don't fib unless I'm talking to an authority figure and it has something to do with the preservation of my personal freedom.

Truth be told, I had the notion that hip-hop would not be the best choice, but I had a twisted curiosity about seeing how many people would get a stick up their butt about it.

Oh give it up already.
    Oh give it up already.

*yaaawn* you don't have any idea about that which you are speaking of.
  • sponger wrote:
    *yaaawn* you don't have any idea about that which you are speaking of.

Likely.
  • I guess she is is unique vocally. But that style of music is not my deal. Plus the whole 'I'm a celebrity, life is so tough, I need to go to rehab' gives me the shits. Ms. Winehouse, spend a year doing an honours degree and then tell me your life sucks :)

Regarding the grammy's, well I stoped paying attention after Superunkown failed to win best rock album.

I'm not trying to start an argument here but when has she said 'I'm a celebrity. My life is so tough'?

You people that don't like her are all starting to sound the same.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    sponger wrote:
    Thanks everyone for sharing your views on her and that song in particular.

As I was typing that post, I did pause for a moment to contemplate the validity of classifying her into the category of hip-hop. The sound didn't strike me directly as being hip-hop, but it did have some hip-hop flavor to it. The beats aren't purely motown -there is some modern influence to her sound which can be traced to current pop music, which isn't too far off from being hip-hop.

no, there is nothing remotely hip hop about it. no, you cannot try to cover it by acting like you did it on purpose as a social experiment, especially one sentence after trying to justify it by your six degrees of kevin bacon analogy (it's not pure motown, it's kinda modern pop which obviously means it is the same as hip hop). yes, i do enjoy pointing out that you are an ignorant redneck whenever you hand it to me on a silver platter. yes, rehab as a song is over-rated. no, amy winehouse in general is not becos her album is very good.

i hope that settles everything.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    Winehouse is NOT hip-hop.

jazz
  • maybe its because shes a little bit different, but you cant mess with the voice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMyQfHWEOh0
    wow that was gorgeous. hope she continues to get better!

as for people thinking she's hip hop (WTF?), might just be that anything that ISN'T rock/metal/emo or some shit falls into the hip hop category. which is pretty silly. there *are* other types of music out there :)
    If you look at her myspace profile, the profile "Hip-Hop Lives" is in her top 16. Therefore, you can't rule out that there is some level of hip-hop influence in her music. The fact that it is inaudible or indiscernible to the untrained ear seems to be the cause of confusion here.

Of course, it can't be said that her music should fall entirely into the category of hip-hop, and that's something that I've been aware of all along.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    sponger wrote:
    If you look at her myspace profile, the profile "Hip-Hop Lives" is in her top 16. Therefore, you can't rule out that there is some level of hip-hop influence in her music. The fact that it is inaudible or indiscernible to the untrained ear seems to be the cause of confusion here.

Of course, it can't be said that her music should fall entirely into the category of hip-hop, and that's something that I've been aware of all along.
    This vein of the conversation is bordering silly. No one ruled out or said that there wasn't a hip hop influence; the bonus re-mix track of "I'm No Good" alone with (I forget his name) rapping a bridge is hardly inaudible or indiscernable and even if it didn't exist, the R&B/urban flavor is quite evident in her songs. People said that her music itself, is not hip hop, as you said it was.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    sponger wrote:

You're funny, but I don't think you know it.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    sponger wrote:

my profile is a black crowes reference. if i become a fan of snoop dogg on myspace, does that mean snoop dogg clearly has to be influenced by southern rock and the allman brothers becos one of his fans happens to have such tastes?

that is without doubt the stupidest argument i have ever read. your powers of deduction and rationalization wouldn't survive elementary school.