Amy Winehouse's Rehab

spongersponger Posts: 3,159
edited February 2008 in Other Music
So, with the all the hype surrounding her and that song lately, I decided to give a listen.

Is it me or is that song just plain terrible? Even for hip-hop, it sucks big ass. Is the rest of her music just as bad?

Has the world's musical tastes gone even more bonkers than ever before?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MathMath Posts: 71
    I admit I like her voice, but still, I'm as confused as you are. I don't understand what the fuss is about. I don't really see any originality there. Good stuff if you like the genre, but nothing IMO, to justify the emulation she generates.

I guess It's her character, being the exact opposite what's common on MTV, that created the "Amy Winhouse trend".
    "Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends" - Woody ALLEN
  • When JFK was elected President, it was said he won because it was the first time that debates were shown on TV. Meaning, even though a vast majority of people who said that Nixon clearly won the radio debate, Kennedy was elected because of his appearance and good looks on TV.

That being said, Amy Winehouse is something new. She looks almost nothing like anything we've seen before. Add to that makeup engineers, agents, a decent voice, and a shitty song catalog, it makes her the perfect candidate for people to latch on to. Remember, even though the youth seems to fall into certain trends, there's always that innate rebellious attitude. Which makes her very likable to certain "fans".

Sort of like Nirvana, sort of not.

Anyway, if I read this over, none of it will make sense to me, so I won't :D
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • her voice is cool but no idear what her genre is like
    but what is making her special is
    that she ain t like the others females
  • You consider Rehab hip-hop?! Really?

She has a unique voice, and has bought some attention to a genre long forgotten. Sure she's way more popular because of her personal life, it gives her edge - which people find interesting. But the fact remains that her songs are catchy and she's offereing something different. Just becasue you don't get something, doesn't mean it isn't good for what it is.

As far as her other stuff, you be the judge:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jR0WZY2NHhQ
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    personally, i think rehab is the worst song on the album. the rest of the album is really solid, different, and refreshing.
    i'm a huge fan of her stuff - hope she's around long enough to make some more music.
  • i saw her last summer at Lollapalooza. i was expecting something new and refreshing.

What i got was just fucking boring.

It's suitable background music, but how anyone would choose to put that on and listen to it is beyond my comprehension.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • no one has even mentioned her debut, frank, which is a great record.

Back to black has a totally different sound.

I love both albums, because amy is a unique singer and performer.
  • oh yeah, and i was glad to see her very nearly back to fighting fit in the grammys clip, cheers fp.
  • flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    Does she have to change ger last name when she completes rehab?
  • Does she have to change ger last name when she completes rehab?

Chlorophyll? more like....BORE-ophyll.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • I think her latest album is just a generic mock-motown album.. there's nothing striking about her songs at all.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Winehouse is NOT hip-hop.
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    Winehouse is NOT hip-hop.

Yeah I thought that was a little strange when the poster above classified her as such
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    sponger wrote:
    Even for hip-hop, it sucks big ass.
    That's hilarious for at least 2 reasons.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    I'm in the camp with the others who don't really understand what the big deal is.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    She stinks.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• smg9779smg9779 Posts: 235
    very, very, VERY overrated. I guess everyone digs the old motown sound. Feist is far superior vocally to winehouse.
    Steve

11/18/97 Oakland
    07/13/98 Los Angeles
    07/14/98 Los Angeles
    10/31/99 Bridge School
    10/28/00 San Bernardino
    10/31/00 Mountain View
    10/21/01 Bridge School
    06/01/03 Mountain View
    07/15/06 SF I
    07/16/06 SF II
    07/18/06 SF III
    10/21/06 Bridge School
    04/07/08 Berkeley
    04/08/08 Berkeley
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    smg9779 wrote:
    very, very, VERY overrated. I guess everyone digs the old motown sound. Feist is far superior vocally to winehouse.

Meh, I'm not an Amy Winehouse fan but her worst song is still a million times better than that insufferable 1,2,3,4 song from the iPod commercial.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    As someone's (or someones) already said, Winehouse is nowhere near hip hop. That was funny to read.

I love her. Don't care for her character but her character isn't any of my business (hear that Natalie Cole, bitter, table for one). Her voice is a fine instrument, her music harkens back to days when people actually had vocal skill, not just vocals. Anyone can "sing" but it's in the finer points like phrasing, vibrato, fluctuation, knowing when not to over-sing, etc...that's sets a vocalist like Winehouse apart from....all others.

Plus she has some actual depth to her tunes; her music pays respect and kindness to the great stuff that's the foundation to the today's music. Even the crap. Hate her all "you" want for human failings; respect her for her quality of work. I know I do.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    I think her music is plain, unoriginal, and boring. I'm no expert on music, but I see absolutely no reason for her having any attention being drawn to her.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    After watching her Grammy performance, I thought it was honestly better than 'Rehab'. It wasn't anything special - let alone to have her perform at the Grammy Awards, but I think 'Rehab' was one of the worst songs of the year. When my brother said it was up for awards, I asked what song it was - he played it for me (I had heard it, just didn't know what it was), and I couldn't figure out for the life of me why it was even popular - let alone up for a Grammy. Although, I guess I don't really take the Grammys seriously anymore.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • I kind of like Rehab. It's not exactly Bob Dylan lyrically, but it's goddamn catchy!
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Crap, shes a waste of a human being.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • go crawl down the hole you came from, punk.

maybe its because shes a little bit different, but you cant mess with the voice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMyQfHWEOh0
  • go crawl down the hole you came from, punk.

maybe its because shes a little bit different, but you cant mess with the voice:

Awesome performance. She has an incredible voice. I hate it when people can't give credit where it's due. Even if I don't like an artist, I'll at least respect them if they are good at what they do.
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Man does she stink.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• She's still only running on about half a cylinder of her true potential, and what she's achieved already has deservedly made its mark.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    go crawl down the hole you came from, punk.

That's fantastic. Dinah would be pleased.

And one thing that I loved about it was how joyful and happy she seemed to be with it at the end.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Horrible
    8-20-92 \ 6-16-08
    10-4-96 \ 5-6-10
    9-6-98 \ 5-7-10
    4-19-03 \ 9-22-12
    10-6-04 \ 7-19-13
    6-24-06 \ 12-6-13
    10-1-14 \ 4-16-16
    \ 4-26-16 \
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    she is the equivilant of brian setzer and the "zuit zoot riot" fad.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.