SMC ~ Garage A Trois- "Emphasizer"

burnin-candleburnin-candle Posts: 158
edited December 2005 in Other Music
OK, first of all, I have to apologize for the quality of this file. I know all of you have at least 50megs for yours, but since I only have freeware players, I can only rip in this quality. (same as last time) Just turn it up loud and it should be OK. ;) If anything goes wrong with the download, let me know.

And yeah, it's in .rar format so just be aware of that. Now onto the pick...

Ladies and gentlemen, it's time for me, burnin-candle, to give you some funk in the SMC!! I know we all love rock, and we've had some awesome picks lately, but sometimes you just gotta shake that ass just alittle bit more. Last time my pick was kinda standard funk stuff. This time it's more a twisted, fucked up, freaked out experimental kinda funk. I give you the wonder that is Garage A Trois.

Garage A Trois is made up of four members. All superstars in my book.

Stanton Moore (of Galactic) hits the skins
Skerik (of Critters Buggin and he's the guy that plays sax on Long Gone Day if I'm correct) plays all saxaphonics
Mike Dillon (Critters Buggin and lotsa other stuff) plays marimba and other weird percussion
Charlie Hunter (has his own Trio) plays that wonderful 8 string guitar

They were originally a trio (withut Dillon), but added him for more intensity. I think they atarted out as just a "jam" band, as in they'd play gigs and just jam on stage for fun. Then they decided to make records together. The music is all instrumental. It has moments of free jazz, Zappa-esque freak outs, wah-wah funk, ethnic tastes and New Orleans vibes. Intruments collide all over the place but all in all, it just makes you wanna move and just dance. Stanton Moore, who I'm personally a big fan, hits the drums as gorgeously as usual. Skerik proves that he can do anything with a reed, mouthpiece and a sax. Mike Dillon shows that glockenspeils and marimbas can be insanely funky. Charlie Hunter is just, well... a virtuoso. ;) All these elements blend in and create one of the most unique funk outfits on the scene today. This is their first release from 2003.

I must warn that this might not be for everyone. I do admit that it goes in the "strange" side of jazz/funk, but I personally find it very experimental and fun at the same time.

If you find this funky, then you definitely have the "funk" in you.:)

Anyway, I hope you enjoy.

Check their site, for more info. http://www.garageatrois.com
"If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i had no problems downloading and don't worry about the sound quality... it sounds just fine...

thanks for bringing da FUNK!!!
    :D
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • before i forget...
    i also uploaded something to the gmail account... so please make sure you all read the second email in the list to get to THIS album...

your post didn't exist when i created my file... didn't want to interfere with the usual SMC business...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

• Thanks psycosmic. So this is a reminder to all SMC members that there are 2 delicious files for download!!!

And I was just told that some members are having trouble with .rar. I am extremely sorry about that. Can anyone tell me a freeware or trial version of a program that can put files in .zip?? If it worls, I'll put up the zip version later on.

Thanks.

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Just done downloading...always open to some funk.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    ok, I will stop whining :D finally found a RAR utility that is Mac OSX friendly.
  • first of all, i'd like to say that my jazz vocab is very limited... i wouldn't know the difference between bebop and hard bop or anything along those lines... i've listened to and like most of the big names, john coltrane, thelonious monk, charlie parker, charles mingus... and i prefer fusion stuff, like miles davis or mahavishnu orchestra, to more traditional jazz...
    having said that, i don't know anything about jazz just like someone who can name-drop hendrix, the beatles and led zeppelin doesn't necessarily know a lot about rock music...
    "jazz" is just a term that incorporates so many different sub-genres from experimental free jazz to jamie "gollum" cullum, who to me is just bland pop... i don't know what jazz is anymore...

i enjoy this album a lot... i'm actually pleasantly surprised... these guys are excellent musicians, all of them... great drums and percussion, amazing guitar work, intrigueing sax solos...
    "sprung monkey"'s got my head bopping along... i like how they go from funky "a-frame" to a slow "we see"... "interpretive ape dance" makes me see dancing monkeys...
    if i had to chose a favourite track it would have to be "delta skelta"... it's their most rocking tune and what can i say, i'm a rock guy... this track is one hell of a trip, love it!

one thing i have to point out is the production... i know that jazz has a timeless quality, but to be honest, lot's of jazz records (especially from the 80s) sound very dated to me... not in this case, if you hadn't mentioned it was from 2003 i wouldn't have been able to tell...
    i like how it sounds crisp and organic - "live" if you want - without needless polishing and shine... it's very immediate for a jazz record and that's what i like...

thank you for this, burnin-candle...
    now i want to blast this album on a car stereo (although i don't own a car), cruise down the streets of the city (small town, that is) and enjoy the sun shine (well, it's grey, cold and snowy outside)... but it also works in your living room, no matter if you're playing it as background music or pay close attention...
    nice!
    ~~~

Ok again you had me thinking it was going to be bass-popping, hip-shaking, get-up-and-dance-James Brown-style funk but thats not the case. ;)
    Oh well, despite my initial disappointment I'm enjoying the hell out of this album...the musicianship is absolutely stellar. The Baker Brothers were more standard jazz and although they very quite lively too, Garage A Trois are more free-form and experimental. Favourite songs are Interpretive Ape Dance, Sprung Monkey and Delta Skelta.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • this one might be tough for me - i'll give it some spins this weekend on my way to the panhandle - i'll try to keep an open mind about it :) thanks.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • psycosmic, don't worry mate, I'm not too deep with Jazz either. I listen to quite a lot of stuff, but man that music field is huge. ITll take a lifetime to get to know it, but I'm willing to enjoy that ride. lol Thanks for the review, really nice comments there. Delta Skelta is probably one of my favs as well. I love A-Frame, too. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Blast the fucking thing anywhere you want mate! ;)

viggsy, sorry I fooled you again. ;) Maybe next time I'll get your ass shaking the dirty old JB way. But it's always nice to see people experiment, right?

trappedinmyradio, as I said this might not be for everyone. Sorry about that. But I'm sure you'll find something good about it if you keep an open mind about it. There's some great musicianship on this.

And you know guys, this probably ain't even jazz. lol :) My realplayer classified them under Art Rock. I don't think that's close, but maybe it's just all over the place.

Keep the funk alive.

Like before, thanks for helping me expand my jazz/funk collection :)

One thing about Jazz, if somebody recommends a CD to you, you can be rest assured the musicians will be incredible. I have yet to own or listen to one where they have been subpar. I am sure it's out there.....somewhere.

I do struggle with some forms of Jazz. Avant-guarde and Fusion being most of it. This CD finds me on the brink of some of that however it is more listenable than say Bitches Brew or Out to Lunch. So I find myself enjoying this more that I thought.

Being more guitar driven therefore, A-Frame and Delta Skelta full out kick ass. These songs to me would have fit well on a Jeff Beck Blow by Blow type CD. Virtuoso no question. Also dig the drumming at the end of A-Frame. In fact, I would like to listen to more of this type of music, so if ya got any suggestions, throw them out.

Plena for My Grumble is a nice departure and Launch fits the title well. I am usually curious on how instrumentals are named. Launch makes sense here.

We See is really the only one that I can leave. It is borderline Smooth Jazz/Elevator type stuff. Though to be fair, probably the best Elevator music I have ever heard :)

I'll be listening to this the rest of the week. I feel like I can drop this on a Jazz fan and impress them that I know about this. My Windows Media classifies this as Jazz. Art Rock huh, I mean I don't know what that is either however Emphasizer isn't easily labeled.

thanks burnin-candle.
  • transplant wrote:
    One thing about Jazz, if somebody recommends a CD to you, you can be rest assured the musicians will be incredible. I have yet to own or listen to one where they have been subpar. I am sure it's out there.....somewhere.

i experienced the same thing...
    so there are either no bad jazz musicians or jazz lovers never recommend shit cd's - unlike rock fans ;)

i used to have a house mate who was listened to a lot of jazz, that helped me expand my collection...
    what puts me off most is the elitism of some jazz listeners who don't like any other type of music... but i guess this applies to some fans of every genre...
    ~~~

Allmusic classifies them as Acid Jazz, Soul Jazz and Trip-Hop...while its clearly not trio-hop I think acid jazz is quite accurate. Regardless its good music and thats where classifications should end.

• garag a tois is the shit. I love stanton and hunter. Two stellar musicians. Did u know stanton played on Corrosion of COnformity's new album?
    garag a tois is the shit. I love stanton and hunter. Two stellar musicians. Did u know stanton played on Corrosion of COnformity's new album?
    oh boy, burnin-candle lucky for you there is room for a couple funk masters in here ;)

I can't imagine anybody in Garage playing in CoC. Like to hear it though.
  • bump

i like some CoC stuff so it'd be interesting to know which songs he contributed to...
    ~~~

• swedeswede Posts: 558
    ok just gettin to it now - thanks mate :) will get back to u asap!
  • swedeswede Posts: 558
    ok on first listen - this isnt really the type of music ill listen to, but listening to it is one of the reasons why i love this SMC so much, opens new doors to music and such. but yeh although at the moment its not something im gonna be like YEH I NEED TO PUT THIS ON kind of deal - but rather a chilled out album that i would like to have on as good background music

i really like the guitar in delta skelta - i guess i wish more songs had that kind of guitar in it - but i guess its not that kind of album. but i would have to listen to this more before i can really give my true thoughts but i thought id keep the ball rolling a bit.

ill post more bout it when i have listened more :) cheers mate
  • i cannot get into this album. sorry. it's just not something i can get my head around right now. it's so much different than what i listen to every day. i'm not giving up on it - it might hit me, but, right now...it just doesn't work for me.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • garag a tois is the shit. I love stanton and hunter. Two stellar musicians. Did u know stanton played on Corrosion of COnformity's new album?

Stanton in CoC?? Wow, I never knew that. He is a great drummer though, for sure.

• transplant, glad you got to hear the album. Cool review, too. Thanks mate. Some other suggetions would be... Stanton Moore has a couple of solo albums out (All Kooked Out, Flying on the Coop) which has Skerik and Charlie Hunter with Karl Denson and Chris Wood on it. Great drumming on those, too. If you really enjoyed Hunter's guitar, a compilation of his funky Blue Note stuff is out through the Steady Groovin series.(the rangish cover) He has his own Trio, so they should be checked out, too.

swede, I know this is completely off your radar, but I'm glad you enjoyed some parts of it. I wish that there were more guitar driven stuff there, too, but I do like the weird shit Skerik does. And it's not often you get to hear marimbas played that funky. lol I agree that this is a late night trippy hangout kinda music. That's when I usually play it. I guess that's the thing with instrumentals.

trappedinmyradio, don't be sorry, mate, I completely respect your opinion. It took time for me to get into this kind of experimental shit, but once I did, I'm loving it. Keeping an open mind about it should get you closer to this music. Thanks for giving it a chance, though. ;)

Mr Funkalicious, well, you have one rocking name, mate. :)

Thanks everyone for giving this a try. You have the funk in you regardless of how much you enjoyed this. ;)

More comments are welcome. Cheers.

Ok, something I have always been curious about (regarding jazz anyway)

I have just finished listening to Sprung Monkey. If the band were to play this live, could they recreate it note for note?

It has been my understanding that Steve Vai for example plays his solos note for note live as they were on the studio release (according to a Vai freak I work with).

I find this to be rather incredible. So I guess I am just curious.

and for the cheap seats......A-Frame grooves.
  • transplant wrote:
    Ok, something I have always been curious about (regarding jazz anyway)

I have just finished listening to Sprung Monkey. If the band were to play this live, could they recreate it note for note?

It has been my understanding that Steve Vai for example plays his solos note for note live as they were on the studio release (according to a Vai freak I work with).

I find this to be rather incredible. So I guess I am just curious.

and for the cheap seats......A-Frame grooves.

that's a good question. I don't know if I can answer that correctly, but my understanding is that they would have the main riff and the main chord progressions the same as the song, but with regard to solos, they'd just improvise a lot more. I guess that's why for jazz, some people say that you never hear the same song again.

My guess is that Garage A Trois would be just freaking out on stage with crazy improvs. ;)

• that's a good question. I don't know if I can answer that correctly, but my understanding is that they would have the main riff and the main chord progressions the same as the song, but with regard to solos, they'd just improvise a lot more. I guess that's why for jazz, some people say that you never hear the same song again.

My guess is that Garage A Trois would be just freaking out on stage with crazy improvs. ;)

just wanted to let you know...i'm still listening. there is a chaotic structure to this that is intriguing. there are parts that, i feel, really hold together well. but, then there are parts where it feels that the music is falling apart. i know that is typical of "jazz", but, with me, i have a mind that is very forward thinking. when i hear something, i tend to expect "this" and when i get "that" it sort of wigs me out. i wish i knew more about music so i could talk about it better.

a big problem with me is that i had ADD - seriously - i am into this for a moment then it throws me to the sidelines and i get bothered with other things. the sleeve on my jacket, my sock, a glass of water, a pint of beer, etc.

the fact is - i feel ignorant with this music. i feel like i don't know enough to be able to appreciate it and it pisses me off. FUCK!

there is something emotional missing for me. that's how i listen to music - with my emotions - with the feelings in my head, my heart, and my body. i don't know.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
    the fact is - i feel ignorant with this music. i feel like i don't know enough to be able to appreciate it and it pisses me off. FUCK!
    oh, so do I, no question.

I have been able to purchase and seriously listen to many forms of Jazz so I can narrow down my scope of what to really dive into. It pisses me off to no end that the Avant-Garde stuff makes NO sense to me. I have what is said to be a total masterpiece in my collection 'Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch' and wow, I don't get it. Like anything, if a piece of music is regarded as a masterpiece, I feel the need to understand it. I can't and won't accept that it just "isn't for me".

So I keep on listening.
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Shit!! I wonder if someone could send this to me?? :( I totally apologize for how ridiculously behind on the SMC listening I am. I've been sick as hell lately ( just recently started feeling better) and haven't been around here much. Damn! Then today I come on to find a PM from viggy that it's my turn up!!! I'm totally outta the loop with all this lately and again, I apologize. I really wanna listen to all the recent selections though. :/ It just doesn't even feel right otherwise. I don't like being behind. Now all the links are expired and stuff and the most recent one I keep getting an error message. Hmmm. I'm definitely interested in everything I'm reading here about this selection too!!

Anyways, my laggin/sick ass is sorry and if there is anyway someone can send this to me it would be much appreciated. :D
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • transplant wrote:
    oh, so do I, no question.

I have been able to purchase and seriously listen to many forms of Jazz so I can narrow down my scope of what to really dive into. It pisses me off to no end that the Avant-Garde stuff makes NO sense to me. I have what is said to be a total masterpiece in my collection 'Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch' and wow, I don't get it. Like anything, if a piece of music is regarded as a masterpiece, I feel the need to understand it. I can't and won't accept that it just "isn't for me".

So I keep on listening.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Alright, this has been playing now for the past couple days and I can respond now.

I'm familiar with Skerik as he's in Tuatara and I have that band's first two albums. This album sounds like a Tuatara album, though, unfortunatley, one not as enjoyable to me. I tried getting into it and I just can't. I think it's because I know that this is a band who would be much better live. Like most of Phish's studio work, I just sense that this album doesn't truly represent the musicians abilities whereas seeing a live show would. 4 minutes just isn't enough time for these guys to really get going.

Delta Skelta sounds like a tribute of sorts to Jimi Hendrix.
  • trappedinmyradio, don't worry mate. Don't push yourself too much to try and "get" this album, just let it play a few times, and if you don't like it, fair wnough. Someday it just might click and you'll find something cool about it. It took me ages to "get" jazz, but it happened quite naturally, I guess.

transplant, same to you my man. That Out to Lunch album I can't get either! lol But jazz is such a varied and huge field, there's stuff you never get and there's stuff that you totally dig. I guess that's why we all keep listening, cos it's never too good to put yourself in a single genre or type of music.

AndySlash, yeah definitely agree that 4 minutes is way too short. I would love to hear these guys live. In fact, I think there are some shows at live music archive, though I haven't been able to check them out yet.

Thanks everyone. Love your honesty and musical love. cheers. ;)

• I just listened to their performance on the World Cafe. I like the three songs that they played. I am definitely picking up the album.

btw - the album that Stanton is on with COC is In the Arms of God. I was fortunate enough to catch him with COC in Buffalo. What a rockin show.
  • the more i listen to it the more i can get INTO it, but i still don't get it. like - i don't understand where it's going and why it goes where it goes. i guess that's not a bad thing.
    trappedinmyradio, don't worry mate. Don't push yourself too much to try and "get" this album, just let it play a few times, and if you don't like it, fair wnough. Someday it just might click and you'll find something cool about it. It took me ages to "get" jazz, but it happened quite naturally, I guess.

transplant, same to you my man. That Out to Lunch album I can't get either! lol But jazz is such a varied and huge field, there's stuff you never get and there's stuff that you totally dig. I guess that's why we all keep listening, cos it's never too good to put yourself in a single genre or type of music.

AndySlash, yeah definitely agree that 4 minutes is way too short. I would love to hear these guys live. In fact, I think there are some shows at live music archive, though I haven't been able to check them out yet.

Thanks everyone. Love your honesty and musical love. cheers. ;)
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours