Options

Bands I don't like

13»

Comments

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    boroff89 wrote:
    And I never said anything otherwise. The same could be said for Yanni. As I've said on countless other threads, saying bands/artists "suck" is lame and ignorant, particularly when they have connected with and influenced huge numbers of people (like Bob Marley). If you don't like something, just say that. "Suck" takes the subjectivity out of all of this, and all we do here is be subjective.

If it makes you feel better, I occasionally like Bob Marley songs when they are covered by others and have the reggae taken out of them.

I couldn't care less to whom you like or dislike and also I did say I was kidding. I open myself to all kinds of music, I'm just as big a fan of heavy metal as reggae to some rap but mostly rock. The harder the better. :)

So love your music whatever that might be.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
    Of course I dislike all raggae, so it's no surprise. Yes, that's right, I hate raggae, both of their chords, and the one drum beat they have.

+83 & 1/2...but to each their own...
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    boroff89 wrote:
    I can't stand Bob Marley. I wouldn't say he sucks. I just don't like his music or any other "reggae" music. I also tend to get annoyed with Bob Marley fanatics. The ones I have known or met have all been potheads who spend far more time rambling aimlessly about the problems of the world than actually doing anything about them. Reminds me of the South Park "hippy" episode.

Additionally, I don't like:

Killswitch Engage
    Oasis
    Interpol
    Jet
    Maroon 5
    U2 (post-Achtung Baby)
    Buckcherry
    The Beastie Boys
    Coheed and Cambria
    Sonic Youth
    Jack Johnson
    Journey
    Fallout Boy
    Arctic Monkeys
    Dave Matthews Band

Some good bands listed there, yet you love My Chemical Romance......makes sense I guess
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Some good bands listed there, yet you love My Chemical Romance......makes sense I guess

Don't love them. I think they are okay and don't deserve the shit they receive. That is all.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    boroff89 wrote:
    Don't love them. I think they are okay and don't deserve the shit they receive. That is all.

They deserve more shit than they receive, I was just shocked to see that record in best of lists for that year.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Options
    They deserve more shit than they receive, I was just shocked to see that record in best of lists for that year.

I wouldn't list any of their albums as among the best of their respective years. As I've said before, when I was doing the rock journalist deal, I interviewed Ray, their lead guitarist, and he was the nicest musician I met and one of the better interviews. They are making music for all of the right reasons. When I taught high school, MCR meant a great deal to a number of my favorite students who really did not have a lot of good things going on in their lives. They talked about MCR like many here talk(ed) about Pearl Jam. If they are connecting with truly troubled kids and giving them some sense of hope and a sense of being understood, then they are fine in my book.
  • Options
    boroff89 wrote:
    I wouldn't list any of their albums as among the best of their respective years. As I've said before, when I was doing the rock journalist deal, I interviewed Ray, their lead guitarist, and he was the nicest musician I met and one of the better interviews. They are making music for all of the right reasons. When I taught high school, MCR meant a great deal to a number of my favorite students who really did not have a lot of good things going on in their lives. They talked about MCR like many here talk(ed) about Pearl Jam. If they are connecting with truly troubled kids and giving them some sense of hope and a sense of being understood, then they are fine in my book.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff256/bgrif88/Emo.jpg
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Options

Again, I reject the idea of EMO as a musical genre. I feel the same way about grunge. The musicians who receive the EMO label also reject it in the same way bands rejected the grunge label. It is meaningless. People who continue to use it as a reason for not liking bands simply continue to reveal their ignorance.

That kids have taken on EMO as part of their identity (as it is portrayed in that picture). . .it certainly isn't a direction I would head, but I led a much more priveleged and innocent adolescence than most do these days. It really is amazing how much the world has changed in the last 10-15 years.
  • Options
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Options

Yeah, you just pretty much proved my point about EMO being a meaningless label. I can always count on you to reinforce my arguments.

You could just as easily go back in time 15 years and show that same kid in flanel with the words, "I am going to go read about how Eddie Vedder isn't my fucking messiah and think about how shitty my parents are."

Each generation of kids has different problems, experiences the world differently, and relates to different bands than the one that came before it. And the generation that came before inevitably shits on the taste of the generation coming after. It's a pretty fucking ridiculous cycle.
  • Options
    boroff89 wrote:
    Again, I reject the idea of EMO as a musical genre. I feel the same way about grunge. The musicians who receive the EMO label also reject it in the same way bands rejected the grunge label. It is meaningless. People who continue to use it as a reason for not liking bands simply continue to reveal their ignorance.

That kids have taken on EMO as part of their identity (as it is portrayed in that picture). . .it certainly isn't a direction I would head, but I led a much more priveleged and innocent adolescence than most do these days. It really is amazing how much the world has changed in the last 10-15 years.

EMO is the just about the most retarded description of music that any idiot ever came up with. All music is emotional.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Options
    EMO is the just about the most retarded description of music that any idiot ever came up with. All music is emotional.

But it works because its whiny, pretentious, and lame
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    But it works because its whiny, pretentious, and lame
    The original emo bands, as in emotive or emotional hardcore were fantastic but even the proponents of it despised the term. One of the first bands to be called Emo were Rites of Spring and their frontman Guy Picciotto basically said "that's the stupidest fucking term I have ever heard. are people saying that hardcore wasn't emotional. the Bad Brains or Black Flag weren't emotional?"

Emo is meaningless as a genre because it doesnt actually describe a sound. Rites of Spring are as far removed from Panic! At The Disco as Miles Davis is from Metallica.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    The original emo bands, as in emotive or emotional hardcore were fantastic but even the proponents of it despised the term. One of the first bands to be called Emo were Rites of Spring and their frontman Guy Picciotto basically said "that's the stupidest fucking term I have ever heard. are people saying that hardcore wasn't emotional. the Bad Brains or Black Flag weren't emotional?"

Emo is meaningless as a genre because it doesnt actually describe a sound. Rites of Spring are as far removed from Panic! At The Disco as Miles Davis is from Metallica.

I wouldnt give a band like Black Flag the term emo, Black Flag was hardcore punk, sure basically all music is emotional but there is definitely a difference between doing a song about somebody in your life dying and a song about breaking up with your girlfriend of one week.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I wouldnt give a band like Black Flag the term emo, Black Flag was hardcore punk, sure basically all music is emotional but there is definitely a difference between doing a song about somebody in your life dying and a song about breaking up with your girlfriend of one week.
    Have you ever paid attention to Black Flag lyrics? they're pretty fucking emo at times. All about fighting against the internalisation of hateful, angry and upset feelings. The difference is, they were HARDCORE :p unlike MCR for instance. Point is, emo is not now what it used to be, and even then none of the bands accepted it as a "scene" or movement and refused to be a part of it. They just said they were punk bands. When Ian MacKaye's first post-Minor Threat band Embrace were called emo he said "What, like Emo Philips, the comedian? What the fuck is emo?" It means nothing.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"