Lollapalooza 2006

DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
edited August 2006 in Other Music
My 3-day pass tix just came in the mail. I'm stoked. Anyone else here going?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jaygreen12jaygreen12 Posts: 166
    I wish...the lineup is unbelievable. Who are you most excited to see?
    6/03/06-East Rutherford II

The One and Only
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Sonic Youth, Sleater-Kinney, Queens of the Stone Age(and Wilco too...who the fucked booked these at the same time?), Kayne, and the Peppers.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    for Those going to Lollapalooza, if you were a fan of the Toadies, check out Vaden Todd Lewis's new band the Burden Brothers. They are great. They may even play a Toadies song or two. Hope you all have a great time, the line up is amazing.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Sawyer wrote:
    I am actually moe stoked for the Pitchfork music fest this saturday. This lineup is sick: http://www.pitchforkmusicfestival.com

I poop on that festival.

EDIT: Spoon is the only exception.
  • jaygreen12jaygreen12 Posts: 166
    QOTSA are awesome live, I've seen them twice.
    6/03/06-East Rutherford II

The One and Only
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    What is the lineup?
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    Manu Chao will be the best show you have ever seen. I guarantee it!

They play the 2nd night at 8pm or something like that.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    (I couldnt edit my original post)

Anyhow here is a clip from the Manu Chao DVD:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=5DA8C40851049146
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    YOU ARE SO LUCKY!@# i would go solely to see Ween myself

but i can't make the trip :(
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    ill be there all weekend. i need to get cracking on my schedule.
  • Top! Begins Friday! I arrive in Chi-town tomorrow! I'm pumped. I'm going all 3 days, but you'll find me on Friday night rocking out like a MOTHER FUCKER to Sleater-Kinney.
  • CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    From the Gorge...
    Take sunscreen, it's gonna be HOTT!!!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • The high in Chicago on Friday is 85! BOOYA!
  • CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    85 is perfect, and quite tolerable. Actually, everything has felt tolerable after my weekend at the Gorge.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • See y'all there!!!!
    Only on Fri and Sat though...
  • GeorgeinNYGeorgeinNY Posts: 113
    Im going, it will not be hot temps in 80s, thank God...

Also for aftershow Im going to Brain Damaged Eggman at the Vic Theater on Sat.

Cant really say Im really looking forward to any one act, Sleater Kinney, Umphrey's McGee, deadboy and Elephantman, etc are some on list to see but hopefully someone unexpected will blow me away.
  • Booya...off to the airport...see you losers in Chitown!!!
  • Super excited! I leave NYC at 6:30 tonight! 80s will be perfect, given the triple digits I braved at the Gorge, it will be quite refreshing.

Some of my FAVORITES to see this weekend:

EDITORS!!
    Nada Surf!!
    Mates of State!!
    Iron and Wine
    Racontours
    Flaming Lips
    The Shins
    Common
    Gnarles Barkley
    MMJ
    Wolf Mother
    Sleater Kinney (one of last shows ever)
    Smoking Popes
    What Made Milwaukee Famous

We all know Pearl Jam is the best band ever but I am a true lover of all things music, so I jump at the chance to see a ton of great bands all in one fabulous weekend!
    Im leaving tomorrow morning, I should be in Chi by 10 am, too bad there is no camping at this festival, otherwise it should be awesome. And btw this will complete my festival trifecta for the year: Coachella, Bonnaroo, and now Lollapalooza!
  • GeorgeinNY wrote:
    Im leaving tomorrow morning, I should be in Chi by 10 am, too bad there is no camping at this festival, otherwise it should be awesome. And btw this will complete my festival trifecta for the year: Coachella, Bonnaroo, and now Lollapalooza!
    \

I know, I totally wanted to camp for Lolla too. At least I got my camp on at the Gorge, and to be completely honest, its been so freaking hot in NYC that Im welcoming the hotel & a/c this weekend.

I am currently highlighting my printed copy of the weekend schedule- DORK!
  • zelda4everzelda4ever Posts: 138
    jaygreen12 wrote:
    I wish...the lineup is unbelievable. Who are you most excited to see?
    the chili peppers if i could go
    -Let's just say i was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. Thats all it was:just curiosity.

Jim Morrison
    Los Angeles, 1969
    oh yeah the only thing thats gonna suck for me is my hotel is 40 minutes away by blue line train(almost all the way out by O'Hare!) I might wind up staying at a friends house for sat. though she lives in N.Chi(couple stops past Wrigley) so either way thats a half hour ride.

Anyway have fun and stay safe I dont know if youve been to Chi but I find their drug addict population extremely annoying/scary, they stake out all the hotels/taxi stands.train exits, much worse than NYC.
  • Thanks, you have fun too! Im staying at a hotel downtown, and although Im not sure how far it is from the park, I am staying with natives so they will definately get me there safely!

Enjoy! ;)
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    i wish i coulda made it to the chicago but my work schedule = shitty.

plus i spent a shitload on getting to the gorge.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • moxyfopmoxyfop Posts: 16
    I get off of work at 4 and I'm going to be there... it's gonna be HARDCORE!

Im sooooo excited!!!

If you see 2 crazy girls with pink hair say hey!
  • i've never heard of anybody on the pitchfork lineup except spoon.
    i gather speed...from u fucking with me

"i am the first man to shit my pants ya whew!"

its no crime to escape..theres still time to escape...theres still time so escape...

"yellow ledbetter is like the smoke after a 3 hour fuckfest" - 62strat

st.louis 04, chicago 06, and counting...
  • I had an awesome time at Lollapalooza!!!

Here's my full report:

http://accordingtotalia.blogspot.com/2006/08/holla-for-lolla-2006.html
    I read your report, glad you had a good time. I didnt think it was possible but I think I saw all the opposite bands from your list(which I guess goes to show how huge and varied this festival was), ok except for Blues Traveler which I split early to catch RHCP. I did see Sonic Youth too, but split early to catch Disco Biscuits.

Also I think it should be mentioned logistically they really did a good job at this festival as far as plenty of portable toilets, clean water supply, relatively cheap prices on food and beverages, etc.
  • Well, our plane from Philly was cancelled on Thurs night after a 4 hour wait but we finally got in the air early Fri morning. I figure that event cost me 3-4 hours sleep. :-(

Traffic from the hotel (Deerfield) to the show was unbelievable on Friday mid-afternoon...took 90 mins and is only 25 miles away!
    Saturday was a breeze, no problems.
    Parked behind Buddy Guys Legends blues club both days, good deal.

The venue, Grant Park is kinda ok, very scenic being downtown and all but something about it bothered me, not sure what exactly. Huge place, 3/4 of a mile walk between main stage areas.

Was interesting watching what I called the "churn" of crowds as people moved en masse one way or the other just before main stages started up.
    We were typically walking in the direction of the least people....imagine that!

As mentioned previously, facilities were adequate.
    Being able to leave and re-enter the show was cool also, so on Saturday we took advantage and left at dinner time and went to a nice air-conditioned thai restaurant for dinner and a beer.

Security at the main entrance was minimal and you could sneak stuff in pretty easily if you wanted. The 2nd day we brought in a pint of bourbon and some snacks.

Bands that I saw complete or nearly complete sets of and in order of how much I liked them:

Thievery Corporation- This set made it all worthwhile for me...hadn't danced like that in a while, was just what the doctor ordered. Funky, groovey, trancy, world-beat-y, reggae-y and with a revoloving cast of male and female singers. Perry Farrell introduced them and sang a song with them too.

Secret Machines- An amazing sonic experience. Bands like this are what big outdoor sound systems were made for. They manage to blend Pink Floyd-ish histrionics and soundscapes with modern whatever....at times I was hearing bits of Jesus and Mary Chain...or something like that.

My Morning Jacket- Excellent inspired performance...my ninth time seeing them this year, nuff said.

Manu Chao- Amazing energy and musicianship. Never saw anything quite like it. From latin to punk to reggae and back to rock. Read up on him if ya get a chance, quite a story. Inspiring stuff!

Sonic Youth- Great new material, a great band to see outdoors. I go way back with these guys and gal. Kim danced like a madwoman most of the set!

Flaming Lips- The visual and sonic spectacle you'd expect.

Sleater-Kinney- Good, not as good as the recording from the previous night in DC that I listened to on the plane flight out...the sound was a bit harsh at that particular stage that day.

Umphreys McGee- Pretty good jamband, a bit different than most.

Ween- Annoying, drunk, rude crowd (not all of them course but enough idiots to make it remarkable) but nice sound and a good set. I'm just not that into them anymore.

Built to Spill- Disappointing for the most part, seemed uninspired. I was expecting big things.

Saw bits and pieces of:

Wolfmother- Given the fact that I rocked thru that generation of bands they try to duplicate (1970's), I'm over them already but wish them well.

Particle- Ok trance-jamband stuff.

Violent Femmes- Sounded great....

Saturday night after the show, met some PJ friends (Foxymop, Patrickredeyes and some of their crew) and partied at The Smokedaddy and some karaoke place until the wee hours....great time!

I guess I must have met the person above at the Smokedaddy (Detroit2NYC)????

It was different (Lolla) being in one place. I got to see appx 16 Lolla shows in it's primetime of 1991-96 and in some really cool and interesting venues all over the states.
  • Hmmm, I was there....but not for a very long time....had friends with me that wanted to go elsewhere but MADE them come with me to at least pop in on my PJ buds ;)

I had on a striped dress...do you remember me, cuz I was kinda drunk!