I feel that for as long as Meg White has been playing drums, she should be better...

DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
edited June 2007 in Other Music
I mean really. The new White Stripes album is good, but Meg's drumming is really getting to me. I mean she still hasn't figured out how to do proper drum fill. Note to jack: replace her with Janet Weiss.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    Meg is too hot to replace.

Plus their style is to be simple, and I think she does it well. Not to be sexist, but for a female (from thew ones I've seen) she's pretty dam good.
  • poorgirl23poorgirl23 Posts: 194
    Meg's drumming style is the most appropiate for the band's sound, I think. It adds to that childlike aesthetic they have. Jack's even said he's begged her not to practice. I think she's pretty great though.
    Common sense is not so common.
  • I can't stand Meg. Critics say she plays drums in a "minimalist" style. I say bullshit, and Meg doesn't have the talent to play any other way. In her case, minimalist = simple due to a lack of talent.

Female drummers that can drum circles around Meg:

Samantha Maloney (Hole/Motley Crue)
    Stefanie Eulinberg (Kid Rock)
    Kate Schellenbach (Lucious Jackson/Beastie Boys)
    Cindy Blackman (Lenny Kravitz)
  • larslars Posts: 524
    Red Lukin wrote:

Plus their style is to be simple, and I think she does it well. Not to be sexist, but for a female (from thew ones I've seen) she's pretty dam good.
    Replace her with a drum machine
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I like her style for the Stripes. Her simple drumming is a major part of their sound and, in my opinion, it wouldn't be the White Stripes with flashy drumming. Crazy Bonhamesque fills aren't what the Stripes are about.
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    I can't stand Meg. Critics say she plays drums in a "minimalist" style. I say bullshit, and Meg doesn't have the talent to play any other way. In her case, minimalist = simple due to a lack of talent.

Female drummers that can drum circles around Meg:

Samantha Maloney (Hole/Motley Crue)
    Stefanie Eulinberg (Kid Rock)
    Kate Schellenbach (Lucious Jackson/Beastie Boys)
    Cindy Blackman (Lenny Kravitz)

Cindy is an awesome drummer. Good call :)
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    I just find it annoying that all of their songs have the EXACT same drum beats. It's either bump-cha-bump-cha or bump-cha-bump-bump-cha EVERY TIME.
    I just find it annoying that all of their songs have the EXACT same drum beats. It's either bump-cha-bump-cha or bump-cha-bump-bump-cha EVERY TIME.
    sometimes it´s just bump-cha
  • EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
    White Stripes = great songs. When some of you hacks contribute to music of the White Stripes caliber, then bash Meg (but I sincerely doubt any of you do anyway).
    EBowie wrote:
    White Stripes = great songs. When some of you hacks contribute to music of the White Stripes caliber, then bash Meg (but I sincerely doubt any of you do anyway).
    I just did using my cellphone
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    EBowie wrote:

I fucking hate when people use the "it's better than anything you can do!" defense. It's one of the most moronic defenses I've ever heard... only marginally better than "u r fag".

In regards to Meg White, I agree with the thread starter. I'm not a big fan of the WS, and Meg White is a big reason for that.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    EBowie wrote:

What the hell does this even mean? I can diss meg if I want. I'm a musician and know a good drummer when I hear one. Meg White is NOT a good drummer.
  • ManimalManimal Posts: 152
    Red Lukin wrote:

Really, too hot?

Man I'd hate to see women in your town. ;)
    DVD: http://db.etree.org/Manimal
    Posters: www.expressobeans.com/trader.php?id=Manimal&view=4
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    lars wrote:
    Replace her with a drum machine

Drum machines don't have the boobies.
  • meg white sucks
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I think she's good for what the band's music is. She's not great but damn she gets a lot of flack.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Why don't people get that Jack doesn't want meg to be a good drummer? Yeah she isn't good. Who fuckin cares? That's not what the Stripes are about.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
    Who gives a damn if Meg is a piss-poor drummer? Jack more than makes up for her lack of technical skill.
  • Alex_Coe wrote:
    Who gives a damn if Meg is a piss-poor drummer? Jack more than makes up for her lack of technical skill.

And she has boobies :D
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    Alex_Coe wrote:
    Drum machines don't have the boobies.

This reply appeals to my immature nature.

I heart Meg White.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • I like Meg. She's the only thing keeping Jack's crazy creative genius grounded.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Meg's hott

Like, if I saw her down the street I would be like, shes ok...but since shes in a GREAT band, and plays the drums? that makes me blush!

LONG LIVE MEG AND THE COLD COLD NIGHT!!!
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    Manimal wrote:
    Really, too hot?

Man I'd hate to see women in your town. ;)

Personal taste I guess. I'm not saying she's drop dead gorgous, but there's something about her, and I'm sure many would agree.

Unless of course you're into prissy girls caked with make-up
  • Red Lukin wrote:
    Personal taste I guess. I'm not saying she's drop dead gorgous, but there's something about her, and I'm sure many would agree.

Unless of course you're into prissy girls caked with make-up

I'd agree. And check the amount of "Meg's hot" comments in the Icky Thump thread.:p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    for fucks sake. if jack thought meg was shite then he would replace her. obviously she gives what is required. i would imagine jack knows what hes doing.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    She is a female, of course you cant expect her to be up to par with a decent male drummer.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • She is a female, of course you cant expect her to be up to par with a decent male drummer.

Meet Allison Miller, soloing on Evidence by Thelonious Monk:

http://www.allisonmiller.com/clips/evidence.mp3
    Meet Allison Miller, soloing on Evidence by Thelonious Monk:

http://www.allisonmiller.com/clips/evidence.mp3
    That's not a woman, it's a man in a latex titty suit.
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    I think Megs style suits their style, I think her beats aren't that flashy but they make you wanna dance!
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    who gives a fuck... the songs rock and they are awesomeness encapsulated live.

big fucking deal if she's raw... White Stripes maketh my musical willy twitch :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.