5 favorite ROCK songs ever!!

MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
edited February 2007 in Other Music
This is going to be tough. I want honesty. I want contemplation. I want you all to think about it. A lot...

I'll start this off. Here are the rules:

This can go back to the beginnings of rock. This can go until NOW.

Here are mine.

1. Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven. This to me is THE most perfect, epic, beautiful piece of r'n'r there ever has been. It is the song that every band is judged upon. In my opinion. Fuck you if you don't think so.

2. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen. Beatnik, Operatic, splendorous. It just about doesn't get better than this.

3. Hotel California - The Eagles. Again, fuck you if you don't think so. My choice. Longevity. Epic, and the epitomy of south-western life to me in 1976. It is still as relevant as it ever was. Don really did blow his wad when they recorded this.

4. Dream On - Aerosmith. When Aerosmith were relevant. Magical song.

5. Xanadu - Rush. The best. fucking. prog-rock song. ever. recorded. If you disagree, get a fucking hearing-aid.

Sorry for being an ass, but this is how I feel, and I've stood by these 5 being my favorite for a very long time. For each of them. They are my top 5 ever.

I've heard some really fucking amazing stuff since these have came out. And I could list my second half of the top 10, but alas, that is for another thread...

I would be very interested in hearing your favorite top 5. Please put some thought into it.

Thank you,

Mojo
"A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    1. Sweet Child Of Mine - Gnr - Incredible Riff Still Sounds Fresh Today And Axl's Trademark Voice - Great Energy -period

2. Achilles Last Stand - The Mighty Zep - The Most Intense Drumming Throughout A Song That I've Ever Heard, And Mesmorizing Guitar

3. Comfortably Numb - Floyd - Powerful Shit

4. Gimme Shelter - Stones - Just A Cool Sound To It, Start To Finish, Great Beat

5. Black - Pearl Jam - Intense & Beautiful - Does'nt Get Much Better
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
    1. Sweet Child Of Mine - Gnr - Incredible Riff Still Sounds Fresh Today And Axl's Trademark Voice - Great Energy -period

2. Achilles Last Stand - The Mighty Zep - The Most Intense Drumming Throughout A Song That I've Ever Heard, And Mesmorizing Guitar

3. Comfortably Numb - Floyd - Powerful Shit

4. Dream On - Aerosmith - Read First Post Above

5. Black - Pearl Jam - Intense & Beautiful - Does'nt Get Much Better
    I'll keep taking punches
  • This sounds like fun, I'll give it a go, I've been xontemplating it lately anyways, for whatever reason.

hmmm, tough, but here goes:

1. Aenima - Tool (love the crazy moods and places this song goes, if I could bring one song to a desert island, this is the one....sorry PJ...)

2. Do the Evolution - Pearl Jam (sooo creative, great lyrics, punky punch!)

3. Could have lied - RHCP (John's my fave guitarist, and this song showcases all his best attributes, and good lyrics from Anthony for a change)

4. Life like Weeds - Modest Mouse (the song can make me cry, best song on the album IMO, and one of my favorite albums)

5. The gentle art of making enemies - Faith No More (Best chorus ever written, crazy song, best representation of one of my favorite bands..RIP)

If it wasn't all rock this list would be different, but I can honestly say this is very close to my list, although it's painful to leave off the amount of good song I have to leave off......five songs?!?!?!?! Shit man, very, very hard.
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    This sounds like fun, I'll give it a go, I've been xontemplating it lately anyways, for whatever reason.

hmmm, tough, but here goes:

1. Aenima - Tool (love the crazy moods and places this song goes, if I could bring one song to a desert island, this is the one....sorry PJ...)

2. Do the Evolution - Pearl Jam (sooo creative, great lyrics, punky punch!)

3. Could have lied - RHCP (John's my fave guitarist, and this song showcases all his best attributes, and good lyrics from Anthony for a change)

4. Life like Weeds - Modest Mouse (the song can make me cry, best song on the album IMO, and one of my favorite albums)

5. The gentle art of making enemies - Faith No More (Best chorus ever written, crazy song, best representation of one of my favorite bands..RIP)

If it wasn't all rock this list would be different, but I can honestly say this is very close to my list, although it's painful to leave off the amount of good song I have to leave off......five songs?!?!?!?! Shit man, very, very hard.

:)

Agreed. I think we will get some concise opinions with this tho. I'm looking forward to hearing people's opinons :)

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Strawberry fields forever ~ The Beatles
    Superstooge ~ Motorpsycho
    Five to one ~ The Doors
    Whatever happend to my rock & roll ~ Black rebel motorcycle club
    Negasonic teenage warhead ~ Monster magnet
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Led Zeppelin- Stairway to Heaven - In my opinion the greatest rock song ever created, and the greatest guitar solo of all time.

Pink Floyd : Comfortably Numb - i live the guitar towards the end, how it winds on, great music, great words, great song live.

Pearl Jam : Alive - my Fav PJ song, powerful song

Guns n roses : Estranged - probably one of their songs that is over looked by many people, its awesome.

Soundgarden : Superunknown - alive in the super unknown!
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • Led Zeppelin- Stairway to Heaven - In my opinion the greatest rock song ever created, and the greatest guitar solo of all time.

Pink Floyd : Comfortably Numb - i live the guitar towards the end, how it winds on, great music, great words, great song live.

Guns n roses : Estranged - probably one of their songs that is over looked by many people, its awesome.

Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • LeaderOfMenLeaderOfMen Posts: 110
    Rock and Roll aint Noise Pollution - AC/DC

For whom the Bell Tolls - Metallica

Stardog Champion - Mother Love Bone

Animal - Pearl Jam

Hooker with a Penis - Tool

Wow, that was hard. But thats my 5
    I will make the world a better place...with my own, two hands.
  • pdh1978pdh1978 Posts: 211
    Cinnamon Girl - Neil Young
    Do The Evolution - Pearl Jam
    Outtathaway - The Vines
    Rockin' in the Free World - Neil Young
    Whatever Happened to my Rock & Roll - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
    If you all stop hitting refresh for just two minutes, I can buy my tickets...
  • LBC1076LBC1076 Posts: 224
    Aenima - Tool
    Black - PJ
    Stairway to Heaven - Led Zepplin
    Hotel California - The Eagles
    Baba O'Rielly - The Who
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    1.) Pearl Jam-Immortality. This song just oozes classic rock to me. Everything from the arpeggiated acoustic part to the cool mellow solo always does it for me. The live version just magnifies it by a thousand

2.) Led Zeppelin-Misty Mountain Hop. The bad ass guitar lick sounds like Jimmy Paige's guitar is gonna come kick your ass. Robert Plant's voice is too amazing to describe in words.

3.) The Who-We Don't Get Fooled Again. I love how the very first notes of the guitar grabs your attention and it has your attention until the final seconds of a seven minute anthem of pure rock and roll.

4.)CCR-Around the Bend. I can't describe why, but that opening guitar part always hooked me in.

5.)AC/DC-Riff Raff. By far the greatest AC/DC tune. The song is chaotic from start to finish and whenever it done I can't help but think "Fuck! What a great fucking song."
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    1. tomorrow never knows - the beatles.
    this song basically encaspulates in 3 minutes everything that has been done in rock'n'roll in 40 years. i can listen to it over and over.

2. cant you see - marshall tucker band.
    i love it. let's face it, 90% of rock is about love problems and this is the most simple yet beautiful example of it. great vocals and a beautifully mournful solo.

3. gimme shelter - the rolling stones.
    the dark, menacing side of rock. it always makes me think of the dangerous side of rock'n'roll, the barely contained rage and frustration that seems to drive it.

4. do you feel like we do - peter frampton.
    hate him all you like, this song is a perfect rallying cry for "sex drugs and rock." the haze of a late night party and the comaraderie that goes with it.

5. alive - pearl jam.
    that great solo at the end, the fucked up mess of a story of a world turned upside down, and the rebellious and triumphant determination to keep going despite doubt and adversity.
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Zeppelin-Over the Hills and Far Away- like Stairway its quintessential Zeppelin, light/shade, unlike Stairway, I havent heard it 3 billion times

Pink Floyd-Echoes- Their masterpiece. It covers the entire Pink Floyd cannon in 23 minutes

Tool-Lateralus- I love it, its so intense The Grudge, Pushit, and 46&2 get honorable mention, and with time Wings For Marie(1 & 2) may surpass it.

Pearl Jam- Black- see live version, some stuff off the new cd has the potential to overcome a song that has been my favorite PJ since day one.

Skynyrd- All I Can Do Is Write About It- Just a simple song about growing up in Dixie. It takes me there, and livin out in the boonies I can relate to alot of the stuff.
  • ATM:

1.Tool - The Pot
    2.Tool - The Pot
    3.Tool - The Pot
    4.Tool - The Pot
    5.Tool - The Pot
    The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park.
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    1. man of the hour
    2. dust in the wind
    3. oceans
    4. i can see clearly now
    5. lose yourself*

*subject to change
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
    Keep em coming guys, some great choices so far :)

Mojo
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    U2 - One. Just an utterly amazing song. I can't say enough about this song.

Rolling Stone - Sweet Black Angel. A mess of a song, but what a glorious mess.

Led Zeppelin - Achilles Last Stand. The hardest song I know but without being redundantly heavy. Unrelenting. A masterpiece.

Aerosmith - Sick As A Dog. The sound of drugs working. This is how a two guitar band is supposed to sound.

Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven. This song is perfect and timeless.

Honorable Mention. U2 - Running To Standstill. Gets to the heart of the matter. Elegant and remourseful all at once.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • lumpyfredlumpyfred Posts: 243
    1.Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone (especially the "Royal Albert Hall" version): Beautiful and powerful, a classic Dylan fuck-you to the haters.

2.Frank Zappa - Dancin' Fool: Not my favorite or best Zappa track by far, but it makes fun of Disco and I laugh out loud every time I hear it. I put it here because its the one that got me into FZ.

3.Pixies - Debaser: God, the first time I popped in Doolittle this track had me immediately and hopelessly hooked. The album only got better from here. I love the dramatic, dynamic contrasts and melodic intensity.

4.Pearl Jam - Faithfull: Really, is there anything to say?

5.Bad Religion - No Control: This band/song is responsible for me actually starting to give a damn about lyrics. Before I heard this amazing group, I was more concerned about the superficial aspects of music such as catchy melodies and listening to what might make me look cool than anything else. This changed the way I look at music in general, as an art form rather than background noise to life.
    Her?
  • mwgirlmwgirl Posts: 6
    1. Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan

2. How Soon is Now? - The Smiths

3. State of Love and Trust - PJ - my favorite PJ song too.

4. Monkey Gone to Heaven - Pixies

5. Hardly Getting Over It - Husker Du
    Led Zeppelin- Stairway to Heaven - In my opinion the greatest rock song ever created, and the greatest guitar solo of all time.

Great call on Estranged, dude. Insane melodies, Piano & Guitar working together beautifully
    I'll keep taking punches
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    When I think of these kind of lists, I pretty much tend to stick with well known songs because they've had more impact on pop culture, so here goes, these are my favourite classic rock songs that you can hear on mainstream radio:

1. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

2. Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

3. Kashmir - Led Zeppelin

4. Alive - Pearl Jam

5. REM - Losing My Religion
  • 5 of my favourites:

Black - PJ

Paranoid Android - Radiohead

Down in a hole(unplugged)/ Would- Alice in Chains

(for the) Roses - dEUS

Kontroll pa Kontinentet - Kaizers Orchestra You got to love the oildrums.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun!
    2000 Pinkpop Festival, Netherlands
    2006 Arnhem, Netherlands
    2006 Antwerp, Belgium
    2007 Nijmegen, Netherlands
    2009 Philadelphia 4, PA
    2010 Bristow, VA
    2012 Amsterdam 1, Netherlands
    2013 Buffalo, NY
    2013 Baltimore, MD
    2015 Global Citizen Festival New York, NY
    2016 Hampton, VA
    I have to admit, I was REALLY drunk last night when I made this thread. However, I stand by my choices. :)

Keep 'em coming guys...

Mojo
  • I think these would be my top 5, i might be forgetting something that belongs up there, but as for now, these would be it for me

One -Metallica

Crawl -Staind

Black -Pearl Jam

Civil War -Guns n' Roses

Wish you were here -Pink Floyd
  • 1. Led Zeppelin - "Going to California" - Wow. After fifteen years and hundreds (thousands?) of listens, this song can still bring tears to my eyes. I've never been able to explain why I love it so much. There's a magic here that is indescribable; this song, above all others I've ever heard, conveys the feelings of loneliness (and satisfaction in loneliness), loss, and hope better than anything I've ever heard. "Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams/telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems" is still my favorite line from any song.

2. Pearl Jam - "Oceans" - This song reminds me of so many past relationships and many other details of my past fifteen years. It is the first Pearl Jam song I fell in love with. I had a cassette of Ten my brother gave me back in '92 and I absolutely hated every song except for this one - I'd play this song incessantly for weeks until the rest of the album grew on me. The rest is history.

3. Tool - "Wings for Marie/Ten Thousand Days" - Odd that one of my favorite songs is only a few weeks old (at least to the public), but these things happen. It's one of the few songs I fell in love with from the first listen. Apart from being genius in structure, the subject matter makes it divine for me - my own mother has suffered for years and my own love for her is mirrored in the lyrics to this song. Amazing.

4. Neutral Milk Hotel - "Ghost" - Another song full of memories and sadness. I used to hate the whole indie thing; NMH and this song in particular brought me around. It took me weeks to really grasp how deep and gorgeous this song is. People who haven't heard of this band should check them out immediately.

5. Nirvana - "Oh Me" - So simple and pure. Kurt's vocals are beyond legendary; this is the best live performance I've ever heard. Another tune that people often overlook, the emotion passed through this heartbreaking performance is unforgettable. I can't listen to it enough.

Honorable Mentions - "Hurt" by Johnny Cash (incidentally my favorite music video of all time), "In My Tree" by PJ, "When The Tigers Broke Free" by Pink Floyd, "Eleanor Rigby" by the Beatles, "No Quarter" by Zep/Tool, "Nutshell" by Alice in Chains, "Seasons" by Chris Cornell, "Times of Trouble" by Temple of the Dog, "Wake Up" by Mad Season, "Lateralus" by Tool, "4/20/02" by Ed, and hundreds more.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    evie - stevie wright i heard this song when i was 9 years old. i loved it then and i still do. it was the start of my love for music.when i was 14 i got to hear stevie do this song on the steps of the sydney opera house, in all its epic glory. it is one of those touchstones in my life that i will never forget.

needle and the damage done- neil young this is my favourite song of all time. ever. it holds bittersweet memories for me. lost friends. plus i lost my virginity to neil young's harvest album.

there is a light that never goes out - the smiths sad lovely intense. this is a song for my dark side.

prison sex- TOOL another song for my dark side. my fave TOOL song.

alive-pearl jam this is the song that did it for me as far as pj are concerned. ten remains my fave pj album and i have no doubt it will always remain so. daughter comes a close second. but it is alive that draws emotion out of me like no other pj song,from the first note to the last.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • basqobasqo Posts: 25
    1. RVM- PJ
    2. Over the hills and far away- LZ
    3. Lateralus- tool
    4. Dogs- pink Floyd
    5. Teenage riot- Sonic youth (please play this in SF!)

*All songs and positions are subject to change EVERY DAY
    Here's to hoping the next album is along the lines of No Code
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    We almost had 3 outta 5 matching. I was so close to pickin Dogs, but seein Gilmour play Echoes a few weeks ago really clinched that for me. Dogs remains a masterpiece surpassed by only a handful of songs in the history of rock.

No matter how long a Floyd song is, it never comes off cliche, derivitive, cheesy, overindulgent, or like they are just doin it for the sake to sound weird. They had some strange inspiration, to be sure, but Floyd is a timeless band and a band that deserves a spot in everyone's top 5. Sorry for the rant. Floyd will never get enough respect in my book.
  • iluvslashiluvslash Posts: 121
    1. welcome to the jungle-gnr
    2. back in black-ac/dc
    3. paranoid-black sabbath
    4. black dog-led zeppelin
    5. smells like teen spirit- nirvana
    With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nothing done!
  • 1- Pearl Jam- Immortality
    2- Soundgarden- Fell on Black Days
    3- Stone Temple Pilots- Creep
    4- Alice in Chains- Would?
    5- Split Enz- I Got You

Im only 22, so this is what ive lived through.

Many Tool/Nirvana/Foos/Crowded House/Chillis just missed out
    Its been 8 years, but I still believe...PJ in NZ 06!

"No matter how cold the winter, theres a springtime ahead'