Anyone else a bit disappointed with Stadium Arcadium?

2»

Comments

• NO WAY is this record "shit"

Personally I really like Slow Cheetah and Desecration Smile, but the rest just sounds like their past two albums. It's not bad, but i wasn't impressed with it, because it's EXACTLY how I expected it. For a bunch of very talented musicians they don't exactly exploit their skills do they?

Again, not a bad album by any means but compared to the latest offerings by Tool, Flaming Lips, Foo Fighters and PJ it's a pretty bland album. So...

NO WAY is this record "Awesome"
    add the Yeah Yeah Yeahs to that list pronto.

Show Your Bones might be my favorite album of the year including Pearl Jam.. which i'm in love with...
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • You guys are all nuts, it's a brilliant album, if you liked One Hot Minute than I understand...you just don't know! Stadium Arcadium is a nice mix of Blood Sugar and By the Way, contrived yes, but never the less a solid album, especially for a double disc. And it completely showcases John Fruciante, which could be why I love it so much.
  • ved_zepved_zep Posts: 50
    its a great CD

i think most people who say its shit have an unwavering hate for the chilis, or havent given it a chance.
    It sends shivers up my spine

btw how good is especially in michigan!?!?
    -|
    |
    |
    |
    -|
    |
    |
    |
    -|
    0-|-2
    2-2-2-|-2
    0-|
    -|
    0---|-2----0h7h9---7vvv--2-2-2-|-2----0h7h9--7-9b10r9-7-0-|
    -|-10\
    |-0-/7
    0-0-0-|-0-/7
    |
    -|
    |
    |
    |

• Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    moemoe6434 wrote:
    You think that this is a peak over BSSM, Mothers Milk, or Uplift?

That is fine if you do, but i would be surprised.

Yes, I think in terms of songs with heartfelt emotion and superb production this album pisses on Uplift from a great height.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton

Again, not a bad album by any means but compared to the latest offerings by Foo Fighters...

LOL, to me the Foo Fighters are the epitome of 'bland'.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    stadium arcadium has got to be one of the greatest double disc compilation ever composed and put into a cardboard case
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
    ved_zep wrote:
    its a great CD

i think most people who say its shit have an unwavering hate for the chilis, or havent given it a chance.
    It sends shivers up my spine

btw how good is especially in michigan!?!?

thats such a great song! anthony used to call hillel slovak "huckleberry" and i was just wondering if when he says "come on huckleberry finn, show me how to make a grin" refers to hillel. also, how great is readymade. its an ode to johnny ramone by john frusciante.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    stu gee wrote:
    How does dani california compare to the rest of the album? I was ready to buy the album until i heard that and thought it was fucking awful.

dani california is not the best song. the album is comprised of rock, alternative and funk metal. it totally kicks ass!
  • to me "stadium arcadium" and "shes only 18"(or is it 16?) is the best songs...really dug the first disc when i was drinking but also dug it half as much when sober. dont care for the 2nd disc

all in all, dissapointed
    10/31/99, 10/27/00, 06/01/03, 10/25/03, 07/07/06, 07/09/06, 07/15/06

Even Flow PSYCHO member #0020!!
    myspace.com/takingpunches
    Its fucking amazing.

You need to actually listen to it rather than judge after two listens.

Its a true grower.

The second half of the second disc is slightly weaker than the rest, but still...

Tracks 1-7 on the first disc are all amazing...
    thats such a great song! anthony used to call hillel slovak "huckleberry" and i was just wondering if when he says "come on huckleberry finn, show me how to make a grin" refers to hillel. also, how great is readymade. its an ode to johnny ramone by john frusciante.

oh shit!
    i get it
    'move over rover, and let mr huckleberry take over' in the live version of fire,
    just before the solo- hillel is mr huckleberry!
    cool thanks for that
    and yes readymade is great, the solo is .... wow
    -|
    |
    |
    |
    -|
    |
    |
    |
    -|
    0-|-2
    2-2-2-|-2
    0-|
    -|
    -|-10\
    |-0-/7
    0-0-0-|-0-/7
    |
    -|
    |
    |
    |

• aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Not a dissappointment at all....in fact i am really digging on it!!!

I think Readymade is one of my favorites.....but there really isn't a bad song out of the 28. Which is pretty incredible!!!
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    to be honest..I never had much expectations for the new one til I heard Dani California.
    overall..it's a great album..me fave RHCP release since BSSM.
    currently me fave tracks are "Storm in a Teacup", "Charlie", "She's Only 18" and "Hump de Bump"
    can't believe "Storm in a Teacup" was gonna be a b-side til the last minute!
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    to be honest..I never had much expectations for the new one til I heard Dani California.
    overall..it's a great album..me fave RHCP release since BSSM.
    currently me fave tracks are "Storm in a Teacup", "Charlie", "She's Only 18" and "Hump de Bump"
    can't believe "Storm in a Teacup" was gonna be a b-side til the last minute!
    Those aer all good songs. I also am really liking Animal Bar
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Those aer all good songs. I also am really liking Animal Bar

I love that song. I find it so cool that the Peppers can put out a 28 song album and its all so consistent and good that the people who do like the album all have different favorites and everything.

Personally, these are the ones I think are the best(after more than a month and many listens):

Snow*
    Stadium Arcadium
    Torture Me
    Especially in Michigan
    Wet Sand
    Desecration Smile*
    Tell Me Baby
    Hard to Concentrate*
    She Looks to Me*
    Animal Bar
    Readymade
    21st Century

The ones I starred are the ones I think rank amongst the very best Chilis tracks. Kind of interesting, becasue if you had asked me week 1 or 2 after release, it probably would've been completely different. Hard to Concentrate was good but sounded weird to me at first, now I absolutely love it. She Looks to Me was just average awhile and then it grew on me, A LOT! Same with Snow.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    I like it a lot. I really dig the Guitar work on it more so than their other albums.
    I seem to be in the minority here, but ....oh well

Turn it Again is a pretty amazing song

Great Melodies throughout the two discs, as usual too

Could they have made just one great album? Sure. But, I've got no problems with it
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • DCGARDEN wrote:
    I like it a lot. I really dig the Guitar work on it more so than their other albums.
    I seem to be in the minority here, but ....oh well

Turn it Again is a pretty amazing song

Could they have made just one great album? Sure. But, I've got no problems with it

I love it too. Its most likely my fav. RHCP album.
    My first PJ show to witness was at Bonnaroo. How is that for lucky?
  • jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    DCGARDEN wrote:

I can't disagree with this statement. The problem with the melodies is not that they aren't good, it's that they sound almost exactly like pieces of their last three albums.
    rock chalk
  • zelda4everzelda4ever Posts: 138
    jhawk98 wrote:
    I'm very disappointed in it. it's not a horrible album by any means, but so many of the songs sound rehashed. Not only are they not breaking any new ground musically, which I could forgive if that were the only problem. The bigger issue is that a number of songs have similar if not EXACT same structures, lyrical delivery, timing and even melodies as things they have done previously. Probably will be my last new RHCP album purchase. I still need to pick up FreakyStyley, and UpliftMofo though so its not my last RHCP purchase all together.
    they are getting old, i mean is mick jaggar really any better than athony? didnt think so...,well um yeahBUY STAIDIUM ARCADIUM!!!!
    -Let's just say i was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. Thats all it was:just curiosity.

Jim Morrison
    Los Angeles, 1969
  • If by dissapointed you mean utterly thrilled, than yes.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    stadium arcadium is better than californication and by the way.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • attics26attics26 Posts: 47
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    stadium arcadium is better than californication and by the way.

and it needed to be !!!

IMHO def 2nd best they've ever done........ BSSM still way out on its own as best.
  • warehousewarehouse Posts: 124
    I listened to the album a couple of times and haven't felt an urge to listen since. There were a couple of songs I like but overall I did not enjoy the album.
    Lying sideways atop crumpled sheets and no covers he decides to dream. Dream up a new self. For himself.

Montreal 2000
    Toronto 2003
    Montreal 2003
    Halifax 2005
    Hartford 2006
    i think its cool not to like it

look i think if you sit back and dont be judgemental/righteous you can really enjoy it...

most people who dont like it dont like the chilis in general, are overcompensating for their hatred for commercial/mainstream music, or come up with the "oh its not original"- (which is the most fucked up thing i have ever heard. Why the fuck does that hold ANY ground???!!!?!? The chili peppers do not have to assign to any formula or avoid any formula)

I am open to well grounded reasons as to why people have not enjoyed it, and i have heard some valid ones

All in all, i think it's great and i regularly give it a spin
    -|
    |
    |
    |
    -|
    |
    |
    |
    -|
    0-|-2
    2-2-2-|-2
    0-|
    -|
    -|-10\
    |-0-/7
    0-0-0-|-0-/7
    |
    -|
    |
    |
    |

• ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    tell me baby could be the worst single I have ever from a 'big important' rock band.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • attics26 wrote:
    and it needed to be !!!

IMHO def 2nd best they've ever done........ BSSM still way out on its own as best.
    i agree.

I think if trimmed down a bit it would've rivaled BSSM for consistancy.

I love the record, although i'm not very thrilled by the two singles.. oddly enough those are basically the only 2 songs i don't like on the record.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"

I love the record, although i'm not very thrilled by the two singles.. oddly enough those are basically the only 2 songs i don't like on the record.

Same here, I hardly listen to Dani California, although Tell Me Baby is a good bit of harmless fun, VERY uplifting.
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Personally, I thought the album was great. I've always really liked the Chili Peppers but my only problem with it is the fact that Anthony can't write like he used to. John and Flea's work on the album are amazing, but the lyrics are overall good at best. Still, great double album.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee