Anyone else a bit disappointed with Stadium Arcadium?

Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
edited August 2006 in Other Music
Dont get me wrong, its a nice, well-written album - but thats the problem with it, there's just nothing on there we havent had before. I know its the Chili's 9th album or something so its hard to keep it really fresh, but according to some reviews i've read, this should be the greatest double album ever made, which it definitely aint. Am i expecting too much? it just seems that if the Chili's had decided to double-package By The Way and Californication as a double-album, you'd hardly tell the difference between it and the new album. :(
"...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    edved82 wrote:
    but according to some reviews i've read, this should be the greatest double album ever made(

Those are some pretty lofty expectations don't you think. That means even if its just a great album it will be somewhat of a disappointment. As much as I love RHCP they aren't breaking a lot of new ground here (except for maybe Animal Bar)...and who says they have to. This album has something for every kind of RHCP fan whether it be the nostalgic preference toward BSSM or the more laid back approach they've taken the past 2 albums. Stadium Arcadium is not the greatest album ever recorded but its still really good.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    culot4 wrote:
    Those are some pretty lofty expectations don't you think. That means even if its just a great album it will be somewhat of a disappointment. As much as I love RHCP they aren't breaking a lot of new ground here (except for maybe Animal Bar)...and who says they have to. This album has something for every kind of RHCP fan whether it be the nostalgic preference toward BSSM or the more laid back approach they've taken the past 2 albums. Stadium Arcadium is not the greatest album ever recorded but its still really good.

I guess the worst thing you can ever do is to read album reviews! Dont get me wrong, its a fine album and there's only a few tracks i really dont like out of 28, which is pretty good (torture me, stadium arcadium, warlocks for example) maybe i had unrealistic expectations from the start, but i still reckon i'll be listening to One Hot Minute and Blood Sugar a long time after i've put this one in the cupboard. ;)
  • jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    I'm very disappointed in it. it's not a horrible album by any means, but so many of the songs sound rehashed. Not only are they not breaking any new ground musically, which I could forgive if that were the only problem. The bigger issue is that a number of songs have similar if not EXACT same structures, lyrical delivery, timing and even melodies as things they have done previously. Probably will be my last new RHCP album purchase. I still need to pick up FreakyStyley, and UpliftMofo though so its not my last RHCP purchase all together.
    rock chalk
  • bluntly:

nothing bad, BUT, nothing NEW
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I guess I'm easily pleased then:) I'm enjoying it for what it is, I can see why some are dissapointed with it, but personnally I think it's a pretty solid collection of 28 songs, only one's I would leave are the album closers Hey(although this has a nice solo and is growing on me) and DOAM.
    I think it must be really hard for the Chilis, when you have been as ground breaking as they were so early in their career, where do you go from there? Peoples excpectations are sometimes so high, your just never going to reach those heights again.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    jhawk98 wrote:
    I'm very disappointed in it. it's not a horrible album by any means, but so many of the songs sound rehashed. Not only are they not breaking any new ground musically, which I could forgive if that were the only problem. The bigger issue is that a number of songs have similar if not EXACT same structures, lyrical delivery, timing and even melodies as things they have done previously. Probably will be my last new RHCP album purchase. I still need to pick up FreakyStyley, and UpliftMofo though so its not my last RHCP purchase all together.
    Everyone needs uplift mofo... it is such a feelgood album, even if it was Hillel's last. Fight like a brave rocks!!!
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    major disappointment!
    Sounds like a collection of B sides from all their albums. One thing I've realized about this band is that their sound doesn't really evolve, they make the same record just about every time and thats sad because i really like their sound, but this album was just boring.
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    its a solid collection of 28 songs - no crap songs, but nothing spectacularly good either. thats probably the way to sum it up really
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Ive heard people saying it could have been a really good 14/15 song album instead of an average 28 song album. Ive not even bought it yet but i hate dani california which is the only song ive heard so far.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • It's tremendous, so no.

And most people that I know love it.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    its awesome but yeah there isnt much new on it.....id say i look at this album as more of a complete retrospective of their career, and maybe on the next one we will hear some new adventurous stuff thats a complete step away from the past(like By the Way was,i love that album)
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    I gotta give it a listen, but for me One Hot Minute was their last good album. Californication just seemed like watered down radio rock.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• exolsticeexolstice Posts: 85
    How is anyone surprised? For all intents and purposes they've just kept re-recording the same album for the past ten years.
  • miskinmiskin Posts: 278
    i think stadium arcadium is shit.
    myspace.com/airstriponeuk
  • moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 467
    see this is my thing...... Everyone seems to love John Fruciante...... But, everyone also seems to agree they have not put out a good album since BSSM. So..... Uhm, i am confused, you like Fruciante, but the RHCP are not good with him. So does he just not fit in with them musically anymore?
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    I am NOT dissapointed in SA at all! Love the title track, Slow Cheetah, Storm in a Teacup....
  • funkymonkfunkymonk Posts: 279
    I love those songs too. It took a few listens for me to really get into SA. There is a lot of material to digest.

As far as people who say that the Peppers haven't put out a decent album since BSSM, who cares? There are also those who say that Pearl Jam haven't put out a good album since Ten. Preposterous on both accounts!!
  • i'm not disappointed. by the way belongs to my five-albums-for-the-lonely-island-list and i did not expect that they will top it. and 28 songs are just too much (even more because they released it one week after pearl jam and tool...)

try to get into it by taking it as to single albums. i'm not into mars yet, but juppiter has some really good songs on it (dani california, slow cheetah, especially in michigan, strip my mind, WET SAND)

and i agree with everyone who says that there is not something new and innovative but hey, good songs are good songs, and the most important thing:
    john fruciante plays like a young god...
    "now i've got room to spread my wings and my messages of love...yeah love was my drug but that's not what i died of"

"I don't wanna think, I wanna feel"

"Go then, there are other worlds than these!" - Jake Chambers

09/02/2005 Vancouver
    09/23/2006 Berlin
    06/21/2007 Düsseldorf
  • Edge34Edge34 Posts: 233
    Not dissappointed, very solid for a double album. I always feel that a double studio album is very ambitious for any band. Love Desecration Smile,Strip my Mind. Others awell but those two are probably my favs.
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    miskin wrote:
    i think stadium arcadium is shit.

Fuck you.

Stadium Arcadium is awesome, but if you're expecting it to be the best double-sided album ever, then it'll ruin it for you. That's why I don't read reviews. Critics don't know shit.
  • 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    i've only heard a handful of songs from SA, when they were on rockline or whatever it is and they played some of the new stuff. Wasn't overly impressed except for Readymade. That fucking rocked. I mean it is nothing new in terms of RHCP musical territory, but I was on crutches at the time and found it hard not to be rocking out to it.

Now, I did like the interesting approach they took towards the latter half of By the Way. Songs like Cabron (I think RHCP may be one of the only bands to title a song Asshole), (Lemon Trees) on Mercury, Tear, Warm Tape, Venice Queen, Throw Away Your TV, etc. were movements in a nice direction.
    Live Free or Die!
  • XiangXiang Posts: 73
    It's average and it is already gathering dust sitting on the shelf. I personally think it's one of their weakest efforts. Not bad but forgettable.
  • thesheffthesheff Posts: 59
    there's too many songs, and i have a hard time differentiating between many of them. it's not a bad album by any means, i like a lot of the songs, but it's not one that i can just listen to through the whole way
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • i definetly don't think they've put out bad albums since BSSM (rather good ones..) but BSSM was just so goddamn good... it's hard to meet those expectations.

i haven't gotten SA yet.. i ordered it from amazon but it got cancelled for some reason :-/

i tell you, though, i'm not super anxious to get it for some reason.. i've decided to spend the money on My Morning Jacket if anything.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    moemoe6434 wrote:
    see this is my thing...... Everyone seems to love John Fruciante...... But, everyone also seems to agree they have not put out a good album since BSSM?

Thats bollocks.

Its just become oh-so fashionable to slate them since they've started selling relly big.

Californication is superb as is the new album.

By The Way may have been ropey but this is a band at their peak.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 467
    Thats bollocks.

Its just become oh-so fashionable to slate them since they've started selling relly big.

Californication is superb as is the new album.

By The Way may have been ropey but this is a band at their peak.

You think that this is a peak over BSSM, Mothers Milk, or Uplift?

That is fine if you do, but i would be surprised.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    I love the album.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • i havent even heard 90% of it... i really have no interest in getting it

they kindof suck imo
  • NO WAY is this record "shit"

Personally I really like Slow Cheetah and Desecration Smile, but the rest just sounds like their past two albums. It's not bad, but i wasn't impressed with it, because it's EXACTLY how I expected it. For a bunch of very talented musicians they don't exactly exploit their skills do they?

Again, not a bad album by any means but compared to the latest offerings by Tool, Flaming Lips, Foo Fighters and PJ it's a pretty bland album. So...

NO WAY is this record "Awesome"
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    How does dani california compare to the rest of the album? I was ready to buy the album until i heard that and thought it was fucking awful.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.