Hendrix or Page?

Comments

• Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    for his playing, production and riffs i vote the one and only Jimmy Page :)
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • iluvslashiluvslash Posts: 121
    Page!!
    With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nothing done!
  • Page

Two different styles but Page wins it.

In the music world, rythem is much more valuable than any lead/solo work. Page would make some of these riffs that you just think like how the fuck did he come up with this? Plus he was just amazing at soloing when he did it. Hendrix's stuff is mind blowing when he solo's and shit but after a while of listening it sounds the same. I think Hendrix's best guitar work is Red House.

Maybe it's just a personal preference but I like Page better although Hendrix is one of my favorites.

Hendrix is a far superior rhythm player, so much more knowledgeable and flexible it's just silly to begin to make any comparisons. He worked on the Chitlin circuit with Sam Cooke, Ike and Tina Turner, Joey Dee and The Starliters and every soul act going. He knew the Curtis Mayfield approach to rhythm and arpeggiated playing backwards, and could play rhythm and lead simultaneously. When Hendrix arrived in London in 1966 and would play Howlin' Wolf's Killin' Floor on stage, players were devastated by Jimi's ability to play the whole arrangement at once. Jimi had an enormous thumb which he'd use for barring chords, leaving his hand free to mix power chords with pentatonic hammer-on pull-offs. Maybe that's not a technical feat as such but it requires an aesthetic sense, and a really artistic approach to funk, to make it work effectively.

Also, I'd rather listen to Davy Graham, Bert Jansch or John Martyn than hear Page on acoustic.
  • You could try to get hold of Jimi's performance at the San Jose Pop Festival in 1969. His microphone wasn't working during Fire, so Jimi went into an incredible, prolonged chordal improvisation. (You could also try his chordal improvisation in the 1969 LA Forum version of Spanish Castle Magic, and his Woodstock Improvisation with its chordal sequence he would later record in the studio under the title "Bolero".)

Jimi could use rhythm to lead. Also, when you hear Jimi's fluidity with Wes Montgomery-style octaves, you can hear him using lead as rhythm.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    You could try to get hold of Jimi's performance at the San Jose Pop Festival in 1969. His microphone wasn't working during Fire, so Jimi went into an incredible, prolonged chordal improvisation. (You could also try his chordal improvisation in the 1969 LA Forum version of Spanish Castle Magic, and his Woodstock Improvisation with its chordal sequence he would later record in the studio under the title "Bolero".)

Jimi could use rhythm to lead. Also, when you hear Jimi's fluidity with Wes Montgomery-style octaves, you can hear him using lead as rhythm.

You are always the man about Hendrix :D
    NERDS!
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Hendrix without blinking. As far as innovation, skill, fluidity, passion, sheer brilliance there may be no one in the same building as Hendrix. Some people like it, others don't but his style was just amazing. He was obviously a good lead player, but the rhythm and his feeling his way seemlessly with the group be it the Experience or Band of Gypsys may be his best quality. This guy was a musician through and through.

I just don't know if it gets better than Hendrix.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Hendrix.
    He was more innovative, experimental and unafraid to go where nobody went before. Page is astounding, not many guitarists can touch him, but he's more of a writer and his play is a lot more set in stone. He's probably more talented, but he's got a comfort zone and rarely stepped outside it.

If Hendrix had Page's equipment____..
  • jimi baby, all the way :D
    "It was a kind of a sick, disturbed rock opera - if Nietzsche were to write a rock opera,"-Jeff Ament about Eddie's first three songs

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough, I'm fine now.
    Push me pull me. See ya later

<present tense inhabiter #0003 & Even Flow psycho #0036>
  • Jimmy Page.

I think its a credit to his abilities that he was able to make a guitar sound as powerful as his work within the confines of a band and actual songs (not just long improvised solo's). And that band only broke up when a member died.... Every other guitarist that is often mentioned as the "top" bounced from band to band, or simply WAS the band. I think it takes a special type of skill to do that.

Hendrix (2 bands- both of which included his own name in the title),
    Clapton (i believe he has been in every band in existance at some point other than the Wonders and the Cruisers)
    Beck (great player- but never really has been more than a solo artist)
    Santana (see beck)
    Vaughn (SRV and Double Trouble- name in the title, and the music was always based JUST on his guitar skill).
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Jimmy Page.

I think its a credit to his abilities that he was able to make a guitar sound as powerful as his work within the confines of a band and actual songs (not just long improvised solo's). And that band only broke up when a member died.... Every other guitarist that is often mentioned as the "top" bounced from band to band, or simply WAS the band. I think it takes a special type of skill to do that.

Hendrix (2 bands- both of which included his own name in the title),
    Clapton (i believe he has been in every band in existance at some point other than the Wonders and the Cruisers)
    Beck (great player- but never really has been more than a solo artist)
    Santana (see beck)
    Vaughn (SRV and Double Trouble- name in the title, and the music was always based JUST on his guitar skill).

Did you know Jeff Beck was in a band called The Yardbirds before being a solo artist? Quite a good band check them out some time.
    Also Jimmy Page bounced from band to band before Zeppelin, including a stint in The Yardbirds.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • AliAli Posts: 2,621
    Those who have passed away take precedence over the living......:)
    A whisper and a thrill
    A whisper and a chill
    adv2005

"Why do I bother?"
    The 11th Commandment.
    "Whatever"

PETITION TO STOP THE BAN OF SMOKING IN BARS IN THE UNITED STATES....Anyone?
  • Did you know Jeff Beck was in a band called The Yardbirds before being a solo artist? Quite a good band check them out some time.
    Also Jimmy Page bounced from band to band before Zeppelin, including a stint in The Yardbirds.

as was clapton, and beck and page were in it together for a little while as well. I believe the name of the song they both are on is "Stroll On".

yardbirds was a band that was already dying before page became the focal point. was it Relf who had announced he was leaving? If you really want to be this techincal, i could just point out that after the original yardbirds left, Page, Plant, Bonham and Jones toured as the New Yardbirds for their first shows in Scandanavia (i think)- so really he just changed the name of the band.

Plenty of guys have been in lots of bands before "hitting it big"- that is a totally different thing than switching from band to band after you're already a noted genius and star. I dont mean my point to detract from the others, but it is something that always impressed me about Jimmy Page.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    Ali wrote:
    Those who have passed away take precedence over the living......:)

If that's the case, Kurt Cobain takes precendece over Eddie Vedder.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    jimmy page thanks.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    hendrix!!! while page is good i dislike his theft of music, and i know most bands 'borrow' from other musicians but page/plant would literally copy a song word for word, note for note and put their names on it instead of the original artists hoping it was too obscure for anyone to know.
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    El_Kabong wrote:
    hendrix!!! while page is good i dislike his theft of music, and i know most bands 'borrow' from other musicians but page/plant would literally copy a song word for word, note for note and put their names on it instead of the original artists hoping it was too obscure for anyone to know.

examples? they did some covers (You Shook Me, I can't quit you babe) they sampled some lyrics (When the Levee Breaks) and gave credit for it. They were called out on 'borrowing' from a Willie Dixon song (you need love for whole lotta love) and realized the mistake and began giving him credit on it once it was brought to their attention in 1988 (remember that Dixon composed You Shook Me and I can't quit you babe and Page and Plant might have used elements from You Need Love for Whole Lotta Love by mistake as they were fans of his) but to say that they are guilty of "theft" is completly ridiculous. none of us are even posting on this board if not for Page and Plant because if they don't exist, Pearl Jam (and MANY other bands) don't exist.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • reblfanreblfan Posts: 90
    Hendrix, imo is the greatest guitarist ever, but Zeppelin is my favorite band ever so it's a hard decision. I guess I'd go with Hendrix but it is close for me.
    "Memories like fingerprints are slowly raising."
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    after further review of youtube videos. i say hendrix today, maybe page tomorrow, but for today its hendrix.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Peter Green has a better command of the blues, emotional facility and sense of economy in soloing than Page. If any guitarist is comparable to Jimi in emotional power, it's Greeny, even though Greeny's "less is more" approach is very different.
  • Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    JIMMY

Page.
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    well it happened quite spiritually unseen
    i have some responsibilities
    and somehow hendrix is my son
    so its easy to say
    that with the vision he has
    which is equality
    i couldnt choose
    because he said so

love love love
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • Edge34Edge34 Posts: 233
    Much love for Page but, it's gotta be Hendrix
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I like 'em both. They both have pretty different styles, and were both probably the two most influential rock guitarists ever. It doesn't really make sense to have this debate, because I've heard from many, musicians say that one was better then the other. But most professionals won't argue that, and they just say that both were awesome. Neither was more important or better. Just go listen to both and you'll figure it out. Personally, I like Zepp a little more over Hendrix, but who was better: Jimi or Jimmy? Come on, too close.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • They are both highly skilled guitarists in their own right... But when it really comes down to it... for some reason... i can relate to Jimi's music more... whenever i listen to it... i draw a correlation 'Jimi+guitar=virtuoso supreme' ... i am literally immersed in his music when it plays...
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Hendrix. No question.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Think of it this way. Is Page really that funky? I mean, reeeeeeeeally funky? Think Parliament-Funkadelic. Think Sly. Think Jaaaaaaaames Brown. I mean, a dynamic groove, fusing jazz and soul seamlessly. Naaaah, Page was a session musician for a couple of years before The Yardbirds, and he never quite lost that on-the-note precision of a sight-reader. To use a well worn phrase, a "rockist" might like Page. Page distils a lot of radical musical forms outside of conventional rock, and makes them palatable for your average punter. But Jimi is always pushing the barriers. Stockhausen and Miles Davis were contemporaries.

Oh, and Jimi excelled on an SG and, if you've heard the 1968 Zurich boot, a Les Paul. But Page on a Strat? Did he shape distortion and feedback to create a sonic landscape in which could be felt the condition of the Vietnam war? Did Page ever make you feel you were actually a soldier trudging through the rice fields of a country torn by conflict?
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    Think of it this way. Is Page really that funky? I mean, reeeeeeeeally funky? Think Parliament-Funkadelic. Think Sly. Think Jaaaaaaaames Brown. I mean, a dynamic groove, fusing jazz and soul seamlessly. Naaaah, Page was a session musician for a couple of years before The Yardbirds, and he never quite lost that on-the-note precision of a sight-reader. To use a well worn phrase, a "rockist" might like Page. Page distils a lot of radical musical forms outside of conventional rock, and makes them palatable for your average punter. But Jimi is always pushing the barriers. Stockhausen and Miles Davis were contemporaries.

Oh, and Jimi excelled on an SG and, if you've heard the 1968 Zurich boot, a Les Paul. But Page on a Strat? Did he shape distortion and feedback to create a sonic landscape in which could be felt the condition of the Vietnam war? Did Page ever make you feel you were actually a soldier trudging through the rice fields of a country torn by conflict?

I don't think I could've put it any better. Jimi all the way. He's got the Power of Soul on his side.

And I believe someone said that Page can make his guitar sing? Well, Jimi was the master of that. Listen to any live recordings of Jimi and he'll be playing a solo and sing along wtih his solo. Just absolutely amazing.

Yeah, Page created some fantastic hooks like The Ocean, Kashmir, and Rock and Roll, but Jimi has Machine Gun, Who Knows, Power Of Soul, and Hey Joe. Plus Hendrix was three guitarists in one: he played a bass line, a rhythm line, and a lead line all at the same time.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    LedZepFan wrote:
    thats fuckin hard...Hendrix was overall more of a mind blowing, crazy pioneer on the guitar...like the tom morello of his day-really pushing boundaries.

Hendrix understood melody. Morello never, ever will.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    They both pushed the limits of studio technology, and without them I am not certain that recording would have evolved the way that it did.

Page as producer is tough to beat. He was a master at using the studio as an instrument itself. His micing techniques are still very much in use today, and his blueprint has launched thousands of bands.

Hendrix on the other hand, built Electric Lady, and while he was not as experimental in his use of the recording studio, he certainly pushed the envelope with his use of gear. His theatrics during live performance left all of his contemporaries in awe. Pete Townsend smashed guitars. In the 60's, who could think of anything to top that kind of aggression? Hendrix came along and set his guitar on fire, and THAT was just about the only thing that could top Pete's guitar smashing badassery.

Page had Bonham, Hendrix had Mitchell...you cannot discount what a drummer brings to the table when discussing rock guitar. Bonham and Hendrix would have been a completely different sound for both of them...just like Page and Mitchell would have been completely different. Those two guys drove the music, and made the guitarists respond in a particular way.

Hendrix by far was the more proficient player. Calling Jimmy Page a clean player is downright ridiculous. Sure, he could nail it in the studio, and when he was hot live, no one could touch him, but the best part of his playing was the trainwreck...Page played right on the edge of his own ability, and often paid the price for it...fortunately it was in a good way, as his rambling style became a signature for Zep. Hendrix was the first to master the use of controlled (and not so controlled) feedback. Listen to his Star Spangled Banner, and tell me that anyone before him would have thought to pull that off. MAYBE Zappa...but that's a big maybe.

I don't think that Hendrix would choose himself over Page and vice versa. They were both consumate musicians with a visionary approach to making music. There are players like that out here today. The difference is that during their time, music was about the music. Today, it's about dudes in eyeliner and women's jeans...trying to look pretty to make up for their profound lack of talent.