Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
edited July 2006 in Other Music
Well?? ;)
"...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Hendrix
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • edved82 wrote:
    Well?? ;)

In what regards?
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Hendrix was a better guitarist and all round front man for me.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Hendrix.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    thats fuckin hard...Hendrix was overall more of a mind blowing, crazy pioneer on the guitar...like the tom morello of his day-really pushing boundaries. as much as i love him and his guitar work, i would have to say that i do love Page and the music he made with zeppelin as well.....i do enjoy his improvs more as hendrixs tended to meander a bit much and were not as engaging as page's....theyre probably tied with me though when it comes to amazing licks and riffs of all time kind of thing
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Page

Two different styles but Page wins it.

In the music world, rythem is much more valuable than any lead/solo work. Page would make some of these riffs that you just think like how the fuck did he come up with this? Plus he was just amazing at soloing when he did it. Hendrix's stuff is mind blowing when he solo's and shit but after a while of listening it sounds the same. I think Hendrix's best guitar work is Red House.

Maybe it's just a personal preference but I like Page better although Hendrix is one of my favorites.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    Page

Two different styles but Page wins it.

In the music world, rythem is much more valuable than any lead/solo work. Page would make some of these riffs that you just think like how the fuck did he come up with this? Plus he was just amazing at soloing when he did it. Hendrix's stuff is mind blowing when he solo's and shit but after a while of listening it sounds the same. I think Hendrix's best guitar work is Red House.

Maybe it's just a personal preference but I like Page better although Hendrix is one of my favorites.

Agreed, actually.
  • pearlzepfanpearlzepfan Posts: 456
    I find Hendrix sometimes to be a bit too sloppy for me. While Page has a very polised and clean sound. So prefer Page for that reason. Both are incredible talents though.
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    def. hendrix
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    I think Page is a far more talented songwriter. Hendrix just played out of his mind.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    Hendrix is absolutely amazing, but when it comes down to it, I gotta give it to my man Page.
  • I think Page was the better guitarist. Hendrix was the better innovator. Hendrix did things that had never been done before. Where as songs were normally only 3 minutes long, Hendrix was one of the first guitarists to expand on that. The effects he used were also completely stunning for his time.

But as for guitar skill, I think Page wins. One of the best soloists known to rock, Page also created some of the greatest riffs in all of music.
    "Ok... if I smoke a joint Pittsburgh will soon be my favorite place on the planet. Somebody throw up a lighter come on. Ok we got the lighter. And this is a Marlboro Light, what kind of fucker..."
    -EV

http://www.petitiononline.com/keeppens/petition.html
    HELP KEEP THE PENS IN PITTSBURGH
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    I'm not a musician, so I kinda miss out on the whole " Technical " side of this argument, but for me Hendrix's music is annoying and not my style at all

I find Zeppelin / Page to be about as good as it gets
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    Mike McCready

Seriously though I'd have to say Page. I have the first four Zeppelin albums and only one Hendrix album (Band of Gypsys). I just have to listen to more Hendrix but the stuff he did is definately amazing.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    Page.

Hendrix was a pioneer and I think what was the neatest thing about his playing was the fact that he created his own style and unlike guys today had nobody to base his style around, he just came up with it on his own, which is just shocking to me. Especially after picking up the guitar.....

Page to me though is just incredible, I can't get over watching their DVD (Dessert one) and seeing how Jimmy Page uses the guitar as if it's another limb or part of his body....

He can almost speak with the guitar and he can pretty much do anything he wanted to on it...this is really shown in Zeppelin's extended jams I find. Jimmy Page is just mind-blowing and personally I think is the best guitar player.

It's a totally subjective topic because they truely were different types of players.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    I was listening to Black Dog the other day and it still blows my mind.

Likewise, I caught a bit of Hendrix at Monterrey yesterday and was as ecstatic as every fucking hippie in that audience.

So I don't know.

um.

Page.

I guess.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    1. Hendrix
    2. Hendrix
    3. Hendrix
    NERDS!
  • oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    Jimi Hendrix was more creative than Jimmy Page.

Don't get me wrong, Page set the frets on fire and LZ fuckin' rocked the blues, but there is nothing in rock that has ever compared to Electric Ladyland, Axis Bold as Love, and Are You Experienced. This was some brand new shit. Even his covers, such as All Along The Watchtower, were fresh.

move over rover.. let jimi take over
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • DickEDickE Posts: 6
    Tough one, i grew up listening to more Page, so I gotta go with him.
  • TowermanTowerman Posts: 228
    Hendrix hands down
    speaking as a child of the 90's
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    I find Hendrix sometimes to be a bit too sloppy for me. While Page has a very polised and clean sound. So prefer Page for that reason. Both are incredible talents though.

Oh, I've got some Zeppelin boots that would prove the "polished and clean sound" wrong. I mean hard to listen to bad. Both guys were very sloppy at times. It's tough for me to pick one over the other. I think Page has been a bigger musical influence in my playing, but Hendrix isn't far behind. Both had a wide variety of sounds but Page probably has more. Page messed around with alternate tunings and used lots of different scales to solo in. Hendrix may have him beat in "soul" though. Maybe it's just me.
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • Obscured1Obscured1 Posts: 56
    Page could do so much, with only two chords...
  • deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    definitely page (IMO anyway)
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    up to this point it seems pretty close, so a tie breaker. the person I vote for wins.:

the winner is

JIMMY PAGE.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    Def. Page.

It all comes down to relistenability for me. Page and Zeppelin win that in spades every time...

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    jimmy

fucking

hendrix
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• this is one of the most pointless debates in music.

HENDRIX

there is no competition.

who is the 2nd place guy???
    Page? clapton? SRV? Satriani? who cares!

the best guitarist to have ever lived is hendrix, and there is nobody even close. There has yet to be a guitarist to get anywhere near that level of genius.

also.... I know a lot of guitar players, and 95% of them pick hendrix over page. Those who are musicians, can appreciate him even more, because you can really understand and get an idea of how out of this world his sounds and playing style was.

If the question was Zepplin vs Hendrix, then the prize would go to zepplin.

But page vs hendrix?
    Thats not even worth debating.
  • If i said Page... That's The Way and Going to California live would be why.

If Jimi... May This Be Love, Little Wing, etc.. softer stuff for both generally wows me more.

love them both to death but i think i pick Jimi.

I'd probably say Zeppelin over Jimi though...
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • WesternskyWesternsky Posts: 363
    Hendrix
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Jimi
    Can not be arsed with life no more.