The definitive vote - Keith Moon or John Bonham?

2»

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I don't see Clapton as boring, but I agee that Jimi was better technically. Jimi knew his way around a guitar like no other.
    has clapton made anything remotely exciting since the mid 70s? serious question, I genuinely can't think of anything.

Tears in Heaven is the one exception and it's nothing special guitar-wise.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    edved82 wrote:
    John Bonham (by a mile)

yeah it's not really close
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    Bonham is better technically, but Moon is my favorite by far
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    I've always thought that the Who were highly overrated anyway. Whereas Zeppelin was the ultimate collection of musicians, IMO

Just like Clapton is highly overrated - he wouldnt even make my top 10 guitarists. Each to their own though
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    Gotta go with the moon man.. any person who has a muppet based on them deserves some recognition..
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    bonzo
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • ill say moon.

but all this stuff that jimi or bonzo are like the best is kind of a joke. im sure if you looked you could find 20 people that can play everything they did but better and faster. skill is easy to top. there is something that makes the greats great and it isnt just their skill. so bonzo is replaceable as a 'drummer' but as a person he was one of a kind. same with jimi.

how many people would say the who are the same without moon live? but they did find someone that could play all of moons parts. but no one can be keith moon, no matter how well they can play every who song.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    has clapton made anything remotely exciting since the mid 70s? serious question, I genuinely can't think of anything.

Tears in Heaven is the one exception and it's nothing special guitar-wise.

Clapton gets a lifetime pass for the Bluesbreakers, Cream, Blind Faith, and Derek and the Dominoes. All that stuff is incredible. Seriously - the guitar on White Room and Tales of Brave Ulysses is sick. It's not quite at Hendrix level, but it's about as close as anyone else gets.

As far as since the 70's, From the Cradle had some pretty damn awesome guitar work on it. I agree that all the original albums he's put out in the last couple of decades have pretty much sucked. I have seen recent live clips of him that kicked some ass, though. I think playing with Derek Trucks and Doyle Bramhall II might have lit a fire under his ass.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    hendrix78 wrote:
    Clapton gets a lifetime pass for the Bluesbreakers, Cream, Blind Faith, and Derek and the Dominoes. All that stuff is incredible. Seriously - the guitar on White Room and Tales of Brave Ulysses is sick. It's not quite at Hendrix level, but it's about as close as anyone else gets.

As far as since the 70's, From the Cradle had some pretty damn awesome guitar work on it. I agree that all the original albums he's put out in the last couple of decades have pretty much sucked. I have seen recent live clips of him that kicked some ass, though. I think playing with Derek Trucks and Doyle Bramhall II might have lit a fire under his ass.
    saw him on this tour- opening night in the states in fact, and Doyle Bramhall II and Dereck Trucks were so awesome. The three guitar players on stage blew me away! I want to see Dereck Trucks band now in concert because of this show. It was such a great evening. Robert Cray came out and sang "crossroads" with everyone, it was truly bad ass.
    As far as claptons albums, I think the last studio album of his my parents got was "Journeyman" and that came out in '89?? That album was pretty good I thought. I really liked his unplugged disc too. However the latter stuff sounds the same like "Reptile," and "Pilgrim." Good songs over all but musically they sound the same.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    red mos wrote:
    saw him on this tour- opening night in the states in fact, and Doyle Bramhall II and Dereck Trucks were so awesome. The three guitar players on stage blew me away! I want to see Dereck Trucks band now in concert because of this show. It was such a great evening. Robert Cray came out and sang "crossroads" with everyone, it was truly bad ass.
    As far as claptons albums, I think the last studio album of his my parents got was "Journeyman" and that came out in '89?? That album was pretty good I thought. I really liked his unplugged disc too. However the latter stuff sounds the same like "Reptile," and "Pilgrim." Good songs over all but musically they sound the same.

I haven't seen trucks live with his band, but I have a few of their albums. I have seen him live several times with the Allman Brothers, and that is an incredible show. Seeing Derek and Warren Haynes jamming together is pretty much heaven for a guitar geek like me.
  • pjtaper wrote:
    Keith Moon!
    same here!
    11/01/96 warsaw
    06/15/00 katowice
    06/16/00 katowice
    09/22/06 prague
    09/23/06 berlin
    09/25/06 vienna
    06/13/07 chorzow