The definitive vote - Keith Moon or John Bonham?

Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
edited August 2007 in Other Music
This isnt a poll to vote for the greatest drummer ever, so no discussion about other great drummers here. Simply vote for who you think was the best between these two! For me, there's no comparison

John Bonham (by a mile)
"...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I consider them to essentially play two different styles........Moon would not work playing the Zeppelin stuff and Bonzo could not pull off being the drummer for the Who. One is thunder, and the other is lightning.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Bonham. It's not even close if we're talking actual skill.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,258
    well since i got to see the full line up of LED ZEPPELIN i have to side with BONZO BONHAM he was incredible to watch .......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    Bonham was defiantly the better player....but I'd rather watch Moon any day of the week.

It's a technical vs entertainment value. For example, Clapton is a better guitar player than Hendrix....but Hendrix stage performance blows Clapton out of the water.
    "It's all happening"
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    John Bonzo Bonham.Without a doubt.He was the drive behind the unique Zeppelin sound.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • I'm a Moon man myself, but Bonham wasn't too shabby either.
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    dont get me wrong, i think both Moony and Bonzo are legends, but if we're talking actual drumming ability over entertainment value, its got to be Bonzo by a country mile. Although watch Moby Dick and tell me its not entertaining!

Bonzo = completely irreplaceable, for 27 years now. Legend
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Bonham was defiantly the better player....but I'd rather watch Moon any day of the week.

It's a technical vs entertainment value. For example, Clapton is a better guitar player than Hendrix....but Hendrix stage performance blows Clapton out of the water.
    No way was clapton a better guitar player than hendrix, even technically speaking. clapton is a standard, boring blues rock guitarist. there are a million like him, many better. Hendrix invented new ways of playing the guitar.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    No way was clapton a better guitar player than hendrix, even technically speaking. clapton is a standard, boring blues rock guitarist. there are a million like him, many better. Hendrix invented new ways of playing the guitar.

I don't see Clapton as boring, but I agee that Jimi was better technically. Jimi knew his way around a guitar like no other.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,702
    Ringo
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I love Moon, but I gotta go with Bonham.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138
    John Bonham....not even close imo
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    Keith Moon!
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I don't see Clapton as boring, but I agee that Jimi was better technically. Jimi knew his way around a guitar like no other.
    Only guy that comes close is SRV.

I'm gonna go with Keith.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • gvn2fly12gvn2fly12 Posts: 787
    Gotta go with Bonham.
    Arms wide open with the sea as my floor.
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

agreed.....
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I vote for Bonham and Jimi
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    NEIHER, neil peart.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
    how anyone can say that clapton is better than hendrix is beyond me.

looks like bonzo is winnin so far!
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    Bonham......
    love Keith, but Bonham was the fuckin' man!
  • scot88scot88 Posts: 217
    Only guy that comes close is SRV.
    coldn't agree more. i think that SRV's voodoo chile and little wing are better than the originals, though. he added an intensity that no other human could.
  • emily18emily18 Posts: 489
    i personally like bonzo
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Moon.

this argument will go on forever. just like Dave vs. Sammy.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    intodeep wrote:
    I vote for Bonham and Jimi

Me too.
    Jimi played like he was from another planet.None have or will match him.
    Bonham played like he was raising hell.None have or will match him.

Granted Neil Peart is often overlooked.Not the best but def up there.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    They're both great drummers however there's a very good reason why Bonzo Bonham has NEVER been replaced in Led Zeppelin.

John Bonham period.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Bonham was a better drummer for Led Zeppelin and Moon was a better drummer for The Who.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067

i agree with this post 100%.

g under p wrote:
    They're both great drummers however there's a very good reason why Bonzo Bonham has NEVER been replaced in Led Zeppelin.

John Bonham period.

Peace
    yeah there is a reason why. its called GREED something roger and pete have that plant and page dont.thats why you will never see a zep re-union with dave grohl as the dummer
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Keith Moon is the only drummer that I can actually tell is the best
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    g under p wrote:

John Bonham period.

Peace

I dont know anything about drumming, but I do know that I have never heard another drummer that sounds like John Bonham. I cant say why, but he has a totally unique sound to me. Greatest ever
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    gotta go with Moon! He was just such a mad man.
    The Isle of wright Festival 1970- He was amazing on that!
    On the "Kids are alright" dvd, Holy cow! After they played "my Generation" and the drumset exploded, wow, just wow! I had the same look the Host of the show did. (I think it was Ed Sullivan show, but can't remember. Moon was just so fun to watch!
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12