Options

The Official: why is PBM seeing Drive-By Truckers in Nashville tonight and not me?

likepilateihaveadoglikepilateihaveadog Posts: 1,083
edited February 2006 in Other Music
That son of a gun.
I'll guess we'll get the setlist up here when it materializes.
But here's to the new DBT record as well. Should be rockin'.
Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Easy, cause it would have been a 2000+ mile drive for me.

Looking forward to the review.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    Yeah, it ought to be a good one.
    Hopefully someone tapes it and puts it on archive.org
  • Options
    If the setlist is anywhere near last nights in Asheville, it'll be amazing. Pulled this off the DBT Yahoo group:

wed
    new jason (I'll update when I hear it again)
    aftermath usa
    sink hole
    devil
    dead drunk & naked
    guitar man
    never gonna change
    living bubba
    carl perkins
    let me roll it
    my sweet annette
    bulldozers
    marry me
    feb 14
    outfit
    people on the moon
    daddy's cup
    ronnie & neil
    decoration day
    do it yourself

encore
    18 wheels!
    zip city
    god damn lonely love (jason on keys)
    world of hurt
    let there be rock

encore 2
    lookout mountain
    people who died
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

• Options
    Two encores!
    These guys get it...
    Man, that's a hell of a show.
    PBM's in for a treat...
  • Options
    Damn thats one of hell of a setlist... Only two more weeks until I see them...
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    He's a lucky bastard... can't wait to see these guys live...

We really need to spread the word about these guys and - if there was ever a way to do it - conspire a way to get them to open for PJ on the next tour...

And don't tell me it won't happen, we don't need that negative bullshit...
  • Options
    NakedClown wrote:
    He's a lucky bastard... can't wait to see these guys live...

We really need to spread the word about these guys and - if there was ever a way to do it - conspire a way to get them to open for PJ on the next tour...

And don't tell me it won't happen, we don't need that negative bullshit...
    No, I think it could. But if anything, it would be DBT declining...I think they like playing little bars and just keeping that kind of thing going...
    I saw the Supersuckers in a little club here in Lancaster about two months after they had opened for PJ and you could just tell how much they like playing little places and being right on top of the crowd...
    That's just like my opinion, dude...
  • Options
    Just got back home from another great rock show! This was my 11th
    show, and they just keep getting better and better. Very energetic
    set with 5 or 6 new songs played. One of Jason's friends from
    Nashville, Chris Tompkins, played keyboards on GD Lonely Love and
    Aftermath USA. Neff was awesome on the pedal steel all night, and
    they brought up one of the Immortal Lee County Killers (sorry I
    didn't catch his name) to play guitar for the final 2 songs,
    Buttholeville and People Who Died. Another sellout crowd, and you
    could definitely tell, because it was packed. We got there right
    before American Minor came on, so I didn't get to look for anyone
    from the list, sorry I didn't get to meet any of you. Here's some
    of the songs I can remember them playing, the first few and last few
    are in order, but the rest aren't, and I'm sure I'm probably leaving
    some out, so if anyone wrote down a correct setlist, please share.
    I did see several tapers and one videotaper, so I'm hoping some of
    the recordings will turn up soon. Here's the songs I recall:

Feb 14
    Women Without Whiskey
    The Day John Henry Died
    Puttin' People on the Moon
    Wednesday
    Cottonseed
    Never Gonna Change
    Ronnie and Neil
    Tales Facing Up
    Sink Hole
    Where the Devil Don't Stay
    Dead Drunk and Naked
    Guitar Man Upstairs
    Daddy's Cup
    GD Lonely Love
    Aftermath USA
    18 Wheels of Love
    Decoration Day
    Marry Me
    My Sweet Annette
    Lookout Mountain

Encore:
    Jason did a song by himself that I didn't recognize
    World of Hurt
    Let There Be Rock
    Carl Perkins' Cadillac
    Easy on Yourself
    Buttholeville
    People Who Died
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Those mutha fuckers played for 3 straight hours...just a small 5 minute break for the encore.

The best version of Buttholeville I have ever heard.

We were right next to the stage next to Isbell. During Let There Be Rock (I think...my memory is a little off), he jumped into the crowd and played his solo there.

He is a bad ass mutha fucker.

They played about 3/4 new songs...the one during the encore is great.

People Who Died had everyone going crazy.

A very tiring show...but well worth it.

Opening band, American Minor was also good

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    That show looks fucking killer...
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    Great review, says it all.

Did Patterson give 18 Wheels the full intro story? I'd love to hear that live.

• Options

People Who Died had everyone going crazy.

PBM

It always does, right? right?
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    "72", "Zip City" and "Lookout Mountain"?!?!? Sounds like a damn fine show to me......:)
    "72 (This Highway's Mean)" is one that I have not seen live, and it is one of my favorite DBT songs.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    I am psyched to see Goddamn Lonely Love on the setlist... that just might be my favorite DBT song, and at the very least makes my top 5.
  • Options
    I am psyched to see Goddamn Lonely Love on the setlist... that just might be my favorite DBT song, and at the very least makes my top 5.
    The thing about that one is that...GD LL and Outfit seem to be the two really "fan favorites"...or at least the one Isbell really plays to the crowd...so I like that they just throw it in the middle of the set, rather than use it as the closer every night, like Ledbetter.......
    No living bubba in Nashville?
    kind of a bummer...
  • Options
    I was sad not to see Outfit and Zip City, but that gives me a reason to go back for another round.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    I was sad not to see Outfit and Zip City, but that gives me a reason to go back for another round.

PBM

Wow I just realized they didn't play Zip City, I kind of expected that would be one of the songs they played every night.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388

PBM
    I just realized that we have two contradicting set lists on this thread......what no "Zip City" ? Gadzooks!!!!!!

Strange.....they did "Outfit" both times that I saw them :rolleyes:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    No Bubba though...that would have crushed me if I was there...but you can't play that one every night I guess...
  • Options
    I'm telling you, and I have yet to experience this band live, but it would seem to me that: Hood and Cooley are the heart and soul of this band and are fucking amazing, BUT, Jason Isbell is the guy that could be huge as a singer/songwriter...

So far, of what I've heard off of AB&AC, his song Daylight is my fave...
  • Options
    One setlist on here is from Ashville on Friday night and the other is from Nashville on Saturday Night.

I've never seen a band go non-stop before. I was exhausted, they had to be.

For $20, I got more than my money's worth.

There were a couple that I was surprized not to see, but then again, Pearl Jam does that to me sometimes.

Isbell took his guitar and laid it out over the crowd so we could play the strings during the last song.

Right before he left the stage...he took some sort of flamable spray and held it up to his lighter...trying to egnite a big flame...after three tries he gave up.

PBM

• Options
    Just checked out American Minor's page on Myspace...Brad Smith and Chris Thorn from Blind Melon produced their new album.

When I was watching their show, I thought they were very Blind Melonish...before I even knew about Chris and Brad.

I just bought a couple songs on iTunes..."Don't Jump The Gun" is flippin' sweet.

PBM

• Options
    Just checked out American Minor's page on Myspace...Brad Smith and Chris Thorn from Blind Melon produced their new album.

When I was watching their show, I thought they were very Blind Melonish...before I even knew about Chris and Brad.

I just bought a couple songs on iTunes..."Don't Jump The Gun" is flippin' sweet.

PBM
    That's cool. Will have to investigate.
  • Options
    PBM!!

I've been meaning to ask you for a while now but,

I always see people raving about these guys, especially you ;).

So where should I start?? I want to check it out but don't know where to begin??

Start me on my journey if you will :)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    So where should I start?? I want to check it out but don't know where to begin??

I will suggest starting where I started. Goddamn Lonely Love is the song that drew me in. Outfit is another one that really struck a chord with me.

Check out Decoration Day and The Dirty South first...both great albums...work backwards.

PBM

• Options
    I will suggest starting where I started. Goddamn Lonely Love is the song that drew me in. Outfit is another one that really struck a chord with me.

Check out Decoration Day and The Dirty South first...both great albums...work backwards.

PBM

Thanks so much PBM, knew you could help :)

I will look in to this for sure, and let you know how my findings go :)

Thanks again!!
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    Sorry if this had been mentioned before, but if you pre-order the new album (Blessing and a Curse) off of Amazon you can stream the whole damn thing...

Also, for any newbies, check out http://www.ninebullets.org....
  • Options
    NakedClown wrote:
    Sorry if this had been mentioned before, but if you pre-order the new album (Blessing and a Curse) off of Amazon you can stream the whole damn thing...

Just might have to do that...
    nine bullets has almost all the tabs too...if you play guitar and are too dumb to figure them out yourself...it's pretty much the same five chords over and over...
  • Options
    NakedClown wrote:

I actually just found out about this website last weekend...a friend of mine (who went to the concert with me) told me about it.

He said one of the guys from that site was giving out "Nine Bullets" t-shirts (about 10 or so).

Thanks for the heads-up on the stream...I just might do that.

PBM

• Options
    Almost forgot...this part of the show kicked ass:

"I got friends in Nashville, or at least they're folks I know
    Nashville is where you go to see if what they said is so"

:D

PBM