Options

My Morning Jacket - Mahgeetah

likepilateihaveadoglikepilateihaveadog Posts: 1,083
edited March 2006 in Other Music
Just picked up some stuff by these guys, listened to this track first.
Holy shit!
These guys fucking rock, but they have that little extra something floating around too. It's hard to explain. According to their website, they aren't doing anything this summer yet either, really.
Good fucking group.
Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Yeah My Morning Jacket is great. Just listened through Z and as always it blew my mind. I like the way they sound uniqe both vocaly and musical.

I've heard somewhere that they're going too release a new album or EP don't really know if or when but if someone on the board have more info on this i would be glad if you could share it whit me.

Thanks
    ~=Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first - rock and roll or Christianity. =~
  • Options
    I really don't know much about them, sorry.
    But yeah, I would like to learn more...
  • Options
    clayton12clayton12 Athens, GA Posts: 322
    Check out a live version of that song. Jim, the lead singer, has been really sick since their last performance in november but its looking like that he is fine and they are touring soon.
  • Options
    clayton12 wrote:
    Check out a live version of that song. Jim, the lead singer, has been really sick since their last performance in november but its looking like that he is fine and they are touring soon.

I've been looking around for some live performances but i can' find any. Do you know any place where i can download some boots it would be great. Heard that they are great live. :D
    ~=Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first - rock and roll or Christianity. =~
  • Options
    I picked up their Bonnaroo Cd from 2004.
    This was the first track.
    man, what a show.
  • Options
    clayton12clayton12 Athens, GA Posts: 322
    archive.org has tons and tons. get louisville from november as well as bonnaroo 2004 and toronto 2004.
  • Options
    archive.org fucking rocks.
    they have a ton of Drive-By truckers too.
  • Options
    Thank you it's just what I've been looking for I'll check it
    out right away.
  • Options
    !!!!!! Posts: 28
    Their new album Z blew my mind!!!! Its 46 minutes of pure eargasm!!!!

:)
    SIGNATURE :)
  • Options
    JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,075
    they're only streaming...but better than nothing...

http://www.mymorningjacket.com/streams.html
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Incredible Band
    AWESOME LIVE SHOW

One of my favorite bands at the moment. Their live shows remind me of early 90's Pearl Jam shows they have so much energy.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    best band not name Pearl Jam...awesome emotion in their music, which is generally lacking in most bands these days. Plus they can kick out some sweet jams. To me they are similar band to PJ, not in terms of sound (they sound nothing like PJ), but in terms of energy and emotion. No Pearl Jam fan should deny themselves checking out this band.
  • Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    mmj is fantastic ;)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    All this talk about how great they are live makes me want to see them .
    Anyone who knows if they're going to launch a Europe tour soon since I'm only 15 years old and I don't really think my parents will let me travel to the US by myself :)

Well anyway i downloaded the louisville show and it's awesome, What A Wonderful Man is so good I can't really express my feelings in words.

Peace
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    ok, the rumors about them opening for pearl jam and some of the reviews ive read have really peaked my interest in these guys. plus, i want some new music. any recommendations on where to start?

im digging into drive by truckers too but i think these guys sound more up my alley. im not THAT into the skynyrd hard rock thing.
  • Options
    ok, the rumors about them opening for pearl jam and some of the reviews ive read have really peaked my interest in these guys. plus, i want some new music. any recommendations on where to start?

im digging into drive by truckers too but i think these guys sound more up my alley. im not THAT into the skynyrd hard rock thing.
    Good to hear that.
    Check out their live set from Bonnaroo 2004...you can find an audience recording on archive.org I think. There also is an official soundboard recoding too.

Drive-By has a ton of stuff on archive.org as well. I like them a lot. Don't think Skynrd...
  • Options
    Good to hear that.
    Check out their live set from Bonnaroo 2004...you can find an audience recording on archive.org I think. There also is an official soundboard recoding too.

Drive-By has a ton of stuff on archive.org as well. I like them a lot. Don't think Skynrd...

im not keen on starting with live recordings though. cos then when i get to an album it's going to sound wierd...
  • Options
    im not keen on starting with live recordings though. cos then when i get to an album it's going to sound wierd...
    OK, I hear that. I'd go with "It Still Moves" first...that one's got some good tracks... Mahgeeta and One Big Holiday especially.
  • Options
    MMJ is a great band! Really original sound. Saw them on Austin City Limits a week or so ago and it was great. They are playing at this years Bonnaroo as well along with RADIOHEAD, my wife and I have already purchased our tickets to it. I mean Radiohead, Tom Petty, and My Morning Jacket are worth the price of the tickets alone!!
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Options
    It still moves has some great songs like: golden, run thru, one big holiday, mahgeetah, and others.

also their newest "Z" has some good songs also not as hard rockin as one big holiday and run thru but good solid stuff.

There other albums are good to but i don't think they are as good a place to start. None of their albums really "HIT" me immediately, but with a few listens i have grown to love them. A LOT!

There live shows are incrediable.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    HatfieldHatfield Posts: 122
    Definitely get "It Still Moves" and then move onto "Z". Saw them at Bonnaroo 05 and a club show in Atlanta in the fall and both were spectacular. During the Atlanta show I was struck by how tight these guys are. Jim James' voice not only soars but his guitar playing is perfect. He nails these jams and as a band they are able to build very nicely. Not a lot of doodling.

I was a little weirded out by the 80's style rock of the new drummer and bass player(Big hair and grandiose gestures). Jim James on the other hand is channeling Ed. He moves a lot like Ed and has similar stage presence.

Musically they put on the best show I have seen.
    '96 - 10/5
    '98 - 9/1 9/4 9/18
    '00 - 8/6 8/7 8/15 8/17 9/5
    '03 - 4/9 4/15 4/19 7/11 7/12
    '04 - 10/6 10/8
    '05 - 9/11 9/12 9/13 9/15
    '06 - 5/27 5/28 7/7 7/13 7/18 7/22 7/23
  • Options
    Hatfield wrote:
    Definitely get "It Still Moves" and then move onto "Z". Saw them at Bonnaroo 05 and a club show in Atlanta in the fall and both were spectacular. During the Atlanta show I was struck by how tight these guys are. Jim James' voice not only soars but his guitar playing is perfect. He nails these jams and as a band they are able to build very nicely. Not a lot of doodling.

I was a little weirded out by the 80's style rock of the new drummer and bass player(Big hair and grandiose gestures). Jim James on the other hand is channeling Ed. He moves a lot like Ed and has similar stage presence.

Wow, that's soem good praise. Hopefully I'll see them this summer, somewhere!
  • Options
    Hatfield wrote:

I was at that show at the Roxy and it is when i decided they were the most exciting band i have seen live since early pearl jam stuff. I was sick and had a fevor but i went to this show any way and thank goodness becuase it was awesome!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    BabochskaBabochska Posts: 34
    I have to see them live, sometimes I really envy you guys who live in the US.
    You got all these great bands and what do Sweden have, nothing :(
  • Options
    Babochska wrote:
    I have to see them live, sometimes I really envy you guys who live in the US.
    You got all these great bands and what do Sweden have, nothing :(
    Don't you guys have a ton of death metal, King Diamond type stuff?
  • Options
    Don't you guys have a ton of death metal, King Diamond type stuff?

Now when you say it yes we do. In Flames and Soilwork rules but I like PJ stuff better and the closest thing we have to PJ is a band called Kent.

And we have a hell of a hockey team too :D
  • Options
    Babochska wrote:

And we have a hell of a hockey team too :D

That you do! Lundqvist is on my favorite NHL team, the Rangers, which should provide us with many wins in the years to come...
  • Options
    well, i was at target and saw Z for $10, so i went for it. this album is off the wall. parts of it remind me of satchel actually. i like it, but i think im going to need to give it several listens to really digest it. he's got a vocal style unlike any ive ever heard.
  • Options
    That you do! Lundqvist is on my favorite NHL team, the Rangers, which should provide us with many wins in the years to come...

Yes Lundqvist is really great, he had some problem with the big ice in the olympics but that last save in the final was godlike.

Haven't really melted the fact that we got the gold yet. :)
  • Options
    Looks like these guys are in fact opening for PJ.
    Going to be one hell of a fucking show.
    I hope I hear One Big Holiday once or twice.