Jar of Flies is just flat-out awesome

wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
edited June 2006 in Other Music
I was just listening to it and had forgotten how good it was. Takes me back to high school when music was vital and exciting. When Pearl Jam, AIC, and Soundgarden had not one tinge of nostalgia associated with them. Ah, those were the days! Damn I sound old...
"I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jar of Flies is simply fucking mindblowing!! I will continue to praise Alice in Chains on the Other Music Section of the Pearl Jam forum!!!! AIC needs love in this section!!!!! Next to Pearl Jam they were the greatest band ever!!!! Jar of Flies is so beautiful, yet it's so dark and depressing, but it hits you in such a powerful way.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • I love the intro to "Rotten Apple" the way the bass then the guitar kick in.It really sets the mood. it's kind of hypnotic.
    "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" - The Young Ones
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    "Say goodbye...........don't follow....."

sounds like someone knew how the story ended??? :(
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    i am still yet to get this, i really should, theres a 2 disc set i was with sap i think...
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    sj_2150 wrote:
    i am still yet to get this, i really should, theres a 2 disc set i was with sap i think...
    yeh there is

JOF is great...no doubt my favorite AIC release
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    That is my favorite AIC release also. Rotten Apple is my favorite AIC song.
  • untouchable........to say the least!
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Nutshell!!!!!!!
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    ALICE IN CHAINS JAM, unplugged was amazing, brother was the best song played at a MTV performance aparantly, also jar of flies,dirt,facelift,self title, they all own.

aic for ever

RIP Layne!
  • vedderwoodvedderwood Posts: 2,029
    Jar of Flies is incredible!!!! From start to finish, it kicks ass...as do all of the AIC CDs!!!
    DC 6/14/98
    NJ 8/28 & 8/29/98
    NJ 9/1 & 9/2/00
    PA 4/28/03
    NJ 7/5 & 7/6/03
    NY 7/8/03
    PA 7/12/03
    PA 10/1/04
    DC 10/11/04
    NJ 9/30 & 10/1/05
    PA 10/3/05
    NJ 5/27 & 5/28/06
    DC 5/30/06
    NJ 6/1 & 6/3/06
    WA 7/22 & 7/23/06
    IL 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19 & 6/20/08
    DC 6/22/08
    NY 6/24 & 6/25/08
    NY 7/1/08
    PA 10/27, 10/28, 10/30 & 10/31/09
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Jar Of Flies owns my ass sometimes. It is stacked with pure bliss to the ears.

I wish it was longer.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • what i see is unreal

fuckin amazing album , mezmerising
    "no more crowbars to my head"
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    This fucking album is so haunting. Just listened to it today, and got chills. Real sad to hear Layne on this dark album. :( It's a shame things played out the way they did. Amazing, underrated CD.

Mike Inez's bass work on this album is just :eek:
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Absolutely awesome. That Alice had two vastly different and yet smilar sounds is great and I can't decide what I like better - The brutal scream of honesty and pain that is Dirt or the beautiful and haunting JOF.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • TowermanTowerman Posts: 228
    flawless amazing record from an absolutely amazing band
    speaking as a child of the 90's
  • cubbieblue82cubbieblue82 Posts: 292
    I love the intro to "Rotten Apple" the way the bass then the guitar kick in.It really sets the mood. it's kind of hypnotic.

Hell yeah, the intro to Rotten Apple is absolutely perfect! Definately one of my favorite AIC tunes! The whole album is just phenomenal. IMO AIC put down some of their greatest tunes on their shorter acoustic-heavy albums.

Nutshell is an incredible song too, can't forget to give that one respect!
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    bump for this album!!!
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    awesome album though i never really liked the titles "Jar of Flies" or "Dirt." still, both records are great
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • after careful consideration, maybe my favorite Alice record.

oi.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    great fucking cd...

i can listen to Nutshell nonstop all day...
    what a dark,haunting song.. with an equally dark andhaunting solo from Jerry at the end....
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    i love this album too. its their best. so great to just throw on and cook to.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Gators76Gators76 Posts: 160
    Love the album. Finally just added it to my Ipod.
    Toledo 96, Cleveland 03, Pittsburgh 03, Vegas 06,
    San Diego 06.....Do I want some more? I said FUCK YEAH!!!!
  • reachdown12reachdown12 Posts: 693
    i positively love this album. everything from the saddening, haunting vibes and all. so beautiful.

and Whale and Wasp is one of the most beautiful and haunting instrumentals. Ever. that song is other worldly, i mean..there is no need for words in that one..and the emotions it conjurs..unbelievable.
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    I remember the day I got that disc.... vividly. Just chillin listening to Whale and Wasp especially. And Nutshell... wow.

what a year that was too...

Superunknown
    Jar of Flies
    Vitalogy
    Nirvana Unplugged
    STP's Purple

many more... Veruca Salt, Weezer...

yeah but still sucks what happened with Kurt...
  • azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 703
    much better than jars of clay
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    I remember the day I got that disc.... vividly. Just chillin listening to Whale and Wasp especially. And Nutshell... wow.

what a year that was too...

Superunknown
    Jar of Flies
    Vitalogy
    Nirvana Unplugged
    STP's Purple

many more... Veruca Salt, Weezer...

yeah but still sucks what happened with Kurt...

man thats when rock music was something....
  • Absolutely Brilliant, a truly amazing album, a melacholic beauty.
  • Funny how a band's best album might very well be an EP , rather than a LP, eh? This was the album that fully turned me on to AiC. I rocked Facelift and Dirt, but this 7 song wonder took my fandom to the next level. To this day, i don't know a sadder song than Don't Follow. And i couldn't listen to that track without listening to Whale and Wasp lead into it.
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    Truly one of the best albums ever
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    I think the acoustic stuff is Alice at their best
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007