despressing music

2»

Comments

• mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    mad world - gary jules

So I was working on a cd and needed some downer music so I came back to this thread and noticed you said this song, I just want to give props on that since for the last three months everybody has been asking for this at work and here you were almost a year ahead of teh curve.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Blue11Blue11 Posts: 200
    Sheryl Crow - No One Said It Would Be Easy, and Crash and Burn
    " All the stars in the sky, thought you were up in mine
    Still I wonder, I wonder......" "Black" tag 09-16-2005 Ottawa

Toronto 2003, Kitchener 2005, Montreal 2005, Ottawa 2005, Toronto II 2006, Albany 2006, Hartford 2006, Camden I 2008, Camden II 2008, Washington, D.C. 2008, Toronto 2009, Chicago I 2009, Columbus 2010, Noblesville, 2010
  • 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    i didn't read the whole thread, but throw on the Eels' "Electro-Shock Blues" if you're feeling bummed out. It will sink you in the ground even more. It is one of the most depressing albums I've ever heard.

Blood on the Tracks by Dylan is good too. Tangled up in Blue is just that.
    Live Free or Die!
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Has to be most songs by the Smiths. One of my all time favourite bands.

DEATH OF A DISCO DANCER
    The death of a disco dancer
    well, it happens a lot 'round here
    and if you think Peace
    is a common goal
    well, that goes to show
    just how little you know
    The death of a disco dancer
    well, I'd rather not get involved
    I never talk to my neighbour
    I'd just rather not get involved
    Love, peace and harmony?
    Love, peace and harmony?
    Oh, very nice
    very nice
    very nice
    very nice
    ...but maybe in the next world

... it's so glum it's hysterical.
  • Elliott Smith - The whole either/or album
    NERDS!
  • EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865
    dredg - "The Canyon Behind Her"

Just put that song on repeat.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Alice in Chains "Tripod." I always put that album on when I feel really depressed. My fav. AIC record, smacks you in the motherfuckin' face!!

Totally agree..there is something so anguishing about this record. I love it. The album never gets the credit it deserves. Shame In You is a great song when depressed.
  • prodacakeprodacake Posts: 319
    HYLA wrote:
    Eels - Beautiful Freak

spot on infact you can't go wrong with eels, try not to kill yourselve when yo listen to electric shock blues
  • prodacakeprodacake Posts: 319
    3sheets wrote:
    i didn't read the whole thread, but throw on the Eels' "Electro-Shock Blues" if you're feeling bummed out. It will sink you in the ground even more. It is one of the most depressing albums I've ever heard.

Blood on the Tracks by Dylan is good too. Tangled up in Blue is just that.

just posted the same did'nt see your thread very good album when your in the mood, it always lifts your spirts at the end with p.s. you rock my world "maybe its time to live"
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Igottago wrote:
    Totally agree..there is something so anguishing about this record. I love it. The album never gets the credit it deserves. Shame In You is a great song when depressed.
    I agree... although shame in you kinda makes me feel worse since it just reminds me of Layne.

"And you must change patterns all we trained
    Or n'er regain peace you seek
    Now you hear me, for the things I see
    Yeah, I believe in inner peace, yeah"

that makes me want to cry, especially the last line.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    The newest Strokes album is a good listen when you're not feeling well. Sounds good to my ears anyways.
  • merlynmerlyn Posts: 179
    i think radiohead are def a number one, also some coldplay is nice and depressing now and then and counting crows have their ups and downs. or you can just go for nick cave????
    champagne for my real friends & i'm a real pain for my sham friends.. ;)
  • Anything by Hayden should do the trick when you're in a "need-for-depressing-music" situation. Most especially "Stem" or "Between Us to Hold."

Also,

"Stolen Car" by Patty Griffin

"Most of the Time," "Senor" - Bob Dylan

"You Keep Me Hangin' On" - Vanilla Fudge

"Speed Of The Sound Of Loneliness" - John Prine

To end a depressing music session, I suggest "Punch Up At A Wedding" by Radiohead to get the shoulder dance started, followed closely by "The National Anthem" also by Radiohead. That's sure to get you out a funk at anytime, based on the pure madness of the song alone.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Metallica - Harvester of Sorrow (AJFA)
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Elliot Smith, Jeff Buckley, Beck (Sea Changes), Bruce Springsteen (Darkness of the Edge of Town & Devils and Dust), Dave Matthews (Some Devils)
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    AIC DIRT this is the best mope cd ever

or NIN Downwards Spiral
  • spongersponger Posts: 3,159
    Radiohead really brings me down. I had to stop listening to them for awhile there. I attribute my bout with heavy drinking last year to them.
  • Anything by George Straight.

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • larslars Posts: 524
    depressing music sucks
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • imspinninimspinnin Posts: 933
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    AIC DIRT this is the best mope cd ever

or NIN Downwards Spiral
    Agree,
    also...
    STP
    Tool
    If I could be anything in the world I would be your teardrop...I would be born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips.
  • imspinnin wrote:
    Agree,
    also...
    STP
    Tool

Also agree!

Adding Rage against the machine.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,234
    pink floyd

THE WALL to me it really is very depressing i can't listen to it at all.......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    pink floyd

THE WALL to me it really is very depressing i can't listen to it at all.......

The Wall came out during an especially depressing time of my life. Even if it wasn't being played at every party I happened to go to then, it was being played ad nauseum on the radio. Then, years later, I had a schizophrenic neighbor who put speakers out on his front porch so he could play it loudly for the whole street.

I hate The Wall.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,234
    The Wall came out during an especially depressing time of my life. Even if it wasn't being played at every party I happened to go to then, it was being played ad nauseum on the radio. Then, years later, I had a schizophrenic neighbor who put speakers out on his front porch so he could play it loudly for the whole street.

I hate The Wall.
    yeah i hear you i turn the dial so quick and i never bought the cd and yes back then it was played every where it probably caused a lot of people depression i'm sure of it .........
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    goto_l wrote:
    Damien Rice-Anything by him will show you there's someone more depressed than you.

lol aww:( I love him, I think people mistake slow for depressed sometimes but if your referring to his first album then mostly yes.
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    Nick Drake

That's all I have to say.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Nick Drake