Options

seriously isn't the NIN hurt way better the Cash

mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
edited December 2005 in Other Music
look I really like Johnny Cash and I think he did a great job on Hurt, but fucking whatever come on guys? like when rolling stone reviewed a NIN show and said that Hurt is a Johnny Cash song now I was like fuck off. not becasue he did a bad job and I think he added a whole new context to the song etc etc etc but the original version is so pained and so beautifull it'd be like someone covering Black and people saying ohh that's so much better teh PJ's version.
"I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    look I really like Johnny Cash and I think he did a great job on Hurt, but fucking whatever come on guys? like when rolling stone reviewed a NIN show and said that Hurt is a Johnny Cash song now I was like fuck off. not becasue he did a bad job and I think he added a whole new context to the song etc etc etc but the original version is so pained and so beautifull it'd be like someone covering Black and people saying ohh that's so much better teh PJ's version.

Don't stone me, but I've never heard the original. I'm a big JC fan though.
    "Fuckin' hippies!"
  • Options
    viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Yeah I prefer the original.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • Options
    Don't stone me, but I've never heard the original. I'm a big JC fan though.

ohh dear... when you get up tommorrow go to a record store and take the five minutes to listen to this song please
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    johnny cash's version was very touching and added a whole new context... but this will forever remain trent's song... i prefer the original...

but i also love how great the stripped down versions of NIN songs sound... ".still" is one of my favourite records of all time...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    VortexVortex Posts: 8,772
    mrwalkerb wrote:

I prefer Johnny Cash version, sorry guys.

By the way, regarding to Johnny Cash covering other bands, there´s a Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds bootleg, i think it´s from Vienna in 2001, Nick Cave introduced The Mercy Seat as "a Johnny Cash song"
    If you follow every dream
    You might get lost
  • Options
    TimberTimber Posts: 38
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    like when rolling stone reviewed a NIN show and said that Hurt is a Johnny Cash song now I was like fuck off.
    Trent Reznor said the exact same thing.
    i am disco
  • Options
    JC for the win
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    Look I respect Johnny Cash a lot, probably more than NIN(whom I probably actually enjoy listening to more), but it is Trents song and I cant help but like his version so much better. The whole "and he played a johnny cash song" thing bugs me too.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    trent wrote it and it's an amazing song.

johnny coved it and owned it.

both versions are great
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • Options
    Pat HPat H Posts: 101
    I refuse to compare them.

They are so different, and in such different contexts that it is impossible.

I enjoy Cash's version more, but it does piss me off to hear that people think that it is his song, however, any song Johnny Cash did, he made his regardless of whether he wrote it or not.
  • Options
    The original NIN version goes right through your heart (or should, if you have one.) Johnny Cash's cover is moving and it's recording was well-timed as a final contribution to Cash's musical legacy.

For me, it'll always be Trent's song, though.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    This is Trents song no doubt about it, man. Sure, Cash covered it well, it dosn't mean that it's now his (no matter what trent says, he was probably trying to be respectful to the late great Cash). NIN version is alot better IMO.
    Drunk by noon but that's ok
    I'll be president someday

I have been to, and have the following posters framed:
    Hartford 96,
    Boston 98, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2006
  • Options
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    NIN comes out on top for me!!!
    If I could be anything in the world I would be your teardrop...I would be born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips.
  • Options
    Both versions are so different. However I think the Johnny Cash version is more poignant, well to me anyway. I always remember in an interview that Trent said that the song "belonged" to Johnny now anyway. I think he preferred that version maybe.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Trent took his song back when he performed it for one of the benefit shows this year... stirring and unforgettable. Problem is I can't remember which benefit show... but he owned hurt and reclaimed it as his own. And Johnny Cash did do a hell of a rendition
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:
    Trent took his song back when he performed it for one of the benefit shows this year... stirring and unforgettable. Problem is I can't remember which benefit show... but he owned hurt and reclaimed it as his own. And Johnny Cash did do a hell of a rendition

i think youre thinking of ReAct Now

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    i guess im the odd man out but when i first heard cash's version, before i was a nin fan, i thought "this sucks". i heard the song a few times from my cousin who is a huge nin fan. so when i heard cash's version i thought it was garbage and still do. nothing against cash personally just i think he ruined a great song.

to me you might as well say stanid's version of black was equal or better.
  • Options
    mrwalkerb wrote:

....no....
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • Options

to me you might as well say stanid's version of black was equal or better.

wait did staind actually cover Black? fuck that's as bad as Seetehr doing Drain You, death to shit bands
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    wait did staind actually cover Black? fuck that's as bad as Seetehr doing Drain You, death to shit bands

actually i think it was a solo acoustic thing aaron lewis did...a few years back it was all over the new rock stations

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    CuriousCurious Posts: 732
    I love both versions. As far as I'm concerned they share very little except the actual lyrics. Both songs stand alone as great pieces of music.

I was quite horrified when I first heard that Cash had covered what was one of my favourite songs, but I'm glad he did it the way he did... as opposed to the complete nightmare that he made from Rusty Cage!

I will say though, the Johnny Cash version of Hurt did strike a more emotional chord with me, I think because the first time I heard it was with the accompanying video.
    "The secret of creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Einstein
  • Options
    Curious wrote:
    I love both versions. As far as I'm concerned they share very little except the actual lyrics. Both songs stand alone as great pieces of music.

I was quite horrified when I first heard that Cash had covered what was one of my favourite songs, but I'm glad he did it the way he did... as opposed to the complete nightmare that he made from Rusty Cage!

I will say though, the Johnny Cash version of Hurt did strike a more emotional chord with me, I think because the first time I heard it was with the accompanying video.

i actually really liked his cover of rusty cage. he was real good with these covers, making them his own but not ruining them...coughDEVO'sSatisfaction and Are you experienced covers COUGH

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    Johnny Cash's version hits my heart more. The NIN one is really good but man I can't help but get chills listening to Cash's version. I love the way Cash did it, absolutely mindblowing.
  • Options
    I like Trent's version a LOT more than Cash's version....
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    LedZepFan wrote:
    i think youre thinking of ReAct Now

Yes I am.. thank you. Trent tore hurt up during that performance and reclaimed it as his own
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    AngusAngus Posts: 376
    the only really good thing about Cash' version is the video.
    Musically and emotionally NIN's version will always be 1000 times better.
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29
  • Options
    the cash hurt video is likely the best video ever made. i love the nine inch nails version every time i listen to it. i love the cash version every time i listen to it. it's just a great song done by two very different artists in their own way. i can appreciate and enjoy both versions equally, but props to trent for writing it.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    i like cash's version but NIN's is awesome. i dont like them particularly except this song which is a stone cold classic.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,358
    chromiam wrote:
    Yes I am.. thank you. Trent tore hurt up during that performance and reclaimed it as his own
    when trent did hurt for react now....wow, it was so moving. trent was having a tough time singing it, so much raw emotion!

i gotta say the nin version is much better than johnny cash.
  • Options
    mrwalkerb wrote:

I saw NIN in Buenos Aires last week (still hanging around here after the two PJ gigs)- and Hurt left me on the floor - was fcking awesome. Never been a huge fan - just always liked their cover of Joy Divisions Dead Souls off the Crow album.
    Will definitely now be the first album I buy when I get home.

As for Staind covering Black - never heard it and will go out of my way not to.
    Every Boxing Day my local pub has these open mike sessions and theres always someone who gets up and does Black - really cool theres so many people there in this little town in England who love the song but every year I have to restrain myself from decking them for butchering it!!! That said, I often do a pretty horrendous version round my mates house at 4 in the morning!!!!!!!!!!!!