Van Halen and the rock and roll hall of fame

13»

Comments

• Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    uhh Kevin Richardson?? hello

I agree that EVH just shreds, I mean the guy is insane and all, even more impressive because he can't read music which makes everything else he's done more impressive. Roth on the other hand is just a fucking moron, but in the end I just don't think they deserve to be there, they are a footnote in rock and roll not a chapter.

I am not positive, but I am pretty sure he can read music. He is also a virtuose piano/keyboardist. Maybe he can't apply sheet music to guitar though.
  • edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    Eddie Van Halen Trivia

Was special guest at Bridge School Benefit 1993

He performed with Sammy Hagar, Simon and Garfunkel and Neil Young.

First hand view here: http://www.hyperrust.org/Bridge/Bridge7.html

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I am not positive, but I am pretty sure he can read music. He is also a virtuose piano/keyboardist. Maybe he can't apply sheet music to guitar though.

I swear I saw it in an interview somewhere that he can't, you might be right in your assertion about putting it on guitar, not sure of the specifics.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,688
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    I swear I saw it in an interview somewhere that he can't, you might be right in your assertion about putting it on guitar, not sure of the specifics.
    I know he was self taught on guitar (cause Alex stole his drums while he was delivering newspapers or something as I recall the story, Ed wanted to be a drummer as a kid), not sure about the sheet music thing though.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    edwho wrote:
    Thanks for that, I thought I must have seen their two worst concerts back in 1980 and ’82. Short concerts with drum solo, base solo, guitar solo and sloppy drunk, every one of them. Final straw was in ’82 when DLR came out in chaps (backless leather pants) and shook his ass for a few songs. My friend and I looked at each other as the house lights came on at shows end and agreed never again. Second chance came with Sammy because I was a fan since Montrose. Those first couple of tours with Sammy Hagar were great he played second guitar most of the show and they performed more of his solo hits. That was fun.

Van Halen concerts ~ 2/23/80 ~ 8/19/82 ~ 11/1/86 ~ 9/14/91 ~ 10/14/95

“I don’t know if you picked up by the atmosphere, at least on stage tonight, its like sort of a high point of the whole tour to be back here, maybe after 6 nights it might not be so easy to say that, but at the moment we’d like to, we give you this song” Robert Plant before Stairway To Heaven LA 1977
    Sounds like you saw one of the concerts that I saw......Summer 1982...Diver Down Tour.....the boring solos and the drunken behavior......songs ending when DLR could not remember the lyrics.......surprised that I went to a show on the 1984 tour after that debacle.

Never saw them with Sammy...........but did see him open for ZZ Top in 1983
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I never saw them live with Dave, but 10 times with Sammy. I was only 13 when Dave quit the band, so I never got a chance.

Anyway, I've seen bootlegs and all. Sammy was so much more professional. He actually cared about the fans. Case it point - I saw them at the Texas Jam in 1988. Sammy's voice was shot to hell. He could barely sing. He felt so bad he promised a free show to Dallas on the next tour. Sure enough they came through with that promise. In December of 91 they just set up shop outdoors in downtown Dallas and played for free. About 100,000 people showed up and crammed the area. I'll never forget that.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13