Van Halen and the rock and roll hall of fame

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I like the Dave-era stuff too, but you can discount Sammy's contribution to the band.

...and I can't believe I've been reduced to defending the Sammy stuff. ;)

They had a lot of success from '85-'96...was it the same as the early stuff...nah...but, they were still a great rock band.

PBM

hahahahaha

I think the Sammy era should be included. I didn't phrase my post correctly. What if VH had broken up when DLR left? Are they HOF worthy? I say yes.
  • cutback wrote:
    I think the Sammy era should be included. I didn't phrase my post correctly. What if VH had broken up when DLR left? Are they HOF worthy? I say yes.

What's funny is that I was anti-Sammy for a long while. But, he seems like a down-to-earth guy...I might not like his stuff with VH as much, but he seems like a good guy.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
    What's funny is that I was anti-Sammy for a long while. But, he seems like a down-to-earth guy...I might not like his stuff with VH as much, but he seems like a good guy.

PBM

Yeah I have nothin' love for Sammy. But DLR was engine that ran VH. With Sammy it was just a good hard rock band.
  • transplant wrote:
    despite the fact that their first 4 discs are awesome, from what my guitar friends tell me, EVH pretty much redefined how many play the guitar. They aren't necessarily VH fans however they are blown away by how good the guy is. They don't put him in the Hendrix category obviously but they were hard pressed to come up with others that have redefined how rock guitar is played.

One can also argue that when he wasn't wasted beyond recognition, DLR was one hell of a frontman.

And besides, Zakk Wylde said he is the greatest :)

ok, last edit. I will admit to being surprised that anyone who likes rock music can't appreciate the DLR era.
    Van Halen was the leader of the monstrosity that nearly killed rock music called "Hair Metal".

About hair metal..

- Worst lyrics in history (and I mean ALL history. Pre-grecian to present day).

- They turned the EQ on their amps up all the way so every single goddamn note that douchebag eddie van halen plays gives you a headache (that's every hair metal guitar player, not just Van Halen)

- They all sounded exactly the fucking same.

- Does every hair metal song need a chorus with 10 vocal tracks layered over eachother? Yes. And it's annoying as fucking hell. Also see the above bullet.

Etc etc etc... Thank god for R.E.M. and The Cure helping humanity through that nightmare and Pearl Jam ad Nirvana for killing the beast.

And Zach Wylde can burn in hell. Guess what this is...

*shred**shred**shred**shred**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**shred*shred*shred*shred**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**shred*..

That's every Zach Wylde song. I found a Black Sabbath bootleg from the 90s when he was with them,... That dickhole ruined War Pigs. He fuckign ruined it. It's so full of pinch harmonics and random shredding he rendered it unlistenable. Fuck him.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    they were at their best with "Fair Warning"..

That guitar opening to "mean streets" is the balls..

having stated that, VH remains the worst concert I ever attended..

I saw them in 1980 at the Cape Cod Collesium during their "women and children first" tour..

They played 50 (count 'em) 50 minutes as the headliner and were awful..
    just awfull..

Roth didn't even attempt to sing the words on cue and laughed through most on the songs..

the sound mix was so bad, you couldn;t tell when one song ended and another began..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    ya got a few issues to work out there Pearl Jam and toast? Hilarious.

VH in the Hall was a no brainer, should have happened earlier.
  • Van Halen was the leader of the monstrosity that nearly killed rock music called "Hair Metal".

Yeah, but the sweet isn't as sweet without the sour.

It's a mindless good time. Some times, you want to turn off your brain and enjoy the ride.

This is why I have White Lion, Poison, Warrant and Enuff Z'nuff on my iPod in addition to the well-respected bands you listed. :)

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Yeah, but the sweet isn't as sweet without the sour.

It's a mindless good time. Some times, you want to turn off your brain and enjoy the ride.

This is why I have White Lion, Poison, Warrant and Enuff Z'nuff on my iPod in addition to the well-respected bands you listed. :)

PBM
    You enjoy it :p

Yes I have a big issue with hair metal I think that's rather clear. ;)

"Make our day"
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Van Halen was the leader of the monstrosity that nearly killed rock music called "Hair Metal".

About hair metal..

- Worst lyrics in history (and I mean ALL history. Pre-grecian to present day).

- They turned the EQ on their amps up all the way so every single goddamn note that douchebag eddie van halen plays gives you a headache (that's every hair metal guitar player, not just Van Halen)

- They all sounded exactly the fucking same.

- Does every hair metal song need a chorus with 10 vocal tracks layered over eachother? Yes. And it's annoying as fucking hell. Also see the above bullet.

Etc etc etc... Thank god for R.E.M. and The Cure helping humanity through that nightmare and Pearl Jam ad Nirvana for killing the beast.

And Zach Wylde can burn in hell. Guess what this is...

*shred**shred**shred**shred**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**shred*shred*shred*shred**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**pinch harmonic**shred*..

That's every Zach Wylde song. I found a Black Sabbath bootleg from the 90s when he was with them,... That dickhole ruined War Pigs. He fuckign ruined it. It's so full of pinch harmonics and random shredding he rendered it unlistenable. Fuck him.

Sounds about right (although I see motley crue as a worse offender), see the reason I love Pearl Jam and Nirvana etc so much is because they killed all that shit. The thing that I always find odd is there are people on here that feel the same way as me but there are still all kinds of people (many of those who are populating this thread) who seem to just like rocking out.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • mrwalkerb wrote:
    The thing that I always find odd is there are people on here that feel the same way as me but there are still all kinds of people (many of those who are populating this thread) who seem to just like rocking out.

I like music that challenges me, but I'm a sucker for a power ballad or a sugary pop song. I embrace all types of music...good or bad. :D

PBM

I like music that challenges me, but I'm a sucker for a power ballad or a sugary pop song. I embrace all types of music...good or bad. :D

PBM

Don't get me wrong I'm all about good times but I can't do it with rock music as much because for me Nickelback is more offensive than boy bands because with 98 degrees they never tried to be anything more than what they were, Nickelback actually think they are good and people who don't know any better listen to them instead of say screaming trees or something that's what gets me.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

Once an era has run it's course there will always be crap bands continuing along. Poison, Warrant, Cinderella suck. That's why they died a glorious death in 1991. But VH was one of the founders of the 80's metal movement. Don't disparage VH because of Brett Michaels.;)
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    They deserve to get in, even if it is for only their first album--which is a monster. Eddie Van Halen is a fucking amazing guitarist! The world of guitar playing changed completely because of EVH. The scope of what one could do with the electric guitar expanded in incocievably vast amounts after Eddie. Not only lead guitar, but his rythm is incredible also. And what is amazing about him, is that as good as he is, you can tell he still holds back! Their debut was pure rock n' roll. Which anymore is a rare and precious thing when you do encounter it. And David Lee Roth was as good of a rock n' roll frontman as you can get. You really can't ask for more.

Anyone who would question why VH should get into the Rock n' Roll hall of fame is either too young, or has very biased tastes. You don't have to be a fan of the band, or even that style of music, to understand why they should get in.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • cutback wrote:
    Once an era has run it's course there will always be crap bands continuing along. Poison, Warrant, Cinderella suck. That's why they died a glorious death in 1991. But VH was one of the founders of the 80's metal movement. Don't disparage VH because of Brett Michaels.;)

It's funny because there are a lot of hard rock fans that think the same thing about the period between 1991-1994. ;)

PBM

It's funny because there are a lot of hard rock fans that think the same thing about the period between 1991-1994. ;)

PBM

Yeah but they're brain dead from listening to that crap.:D
  • I think they're a scurge on music's history but they deserve to get in based on popularity and influence.

Kind of like how the Nazis are an important part of history. ;)

"Make our day"
    I think they're a scurge on music's history but they deserve to get in based on popularity and influence.

Kind of like how the Nazis are an important part of history. ;)
    Wow. Now I know EVH is a little tyrant but . . .

:D:D
    it seems that everyone who wants them to get in pretty much only say that EVH is awesome, some say david lee roth was a great frontman but I still think he's a wanker. The influence of the band is never mentioned as much as much as the influence of EVH himself. The thing is and the reason I started this thread is that when you stack them up against other people in the hall, The Clash, Velvet Underground etc. just seem to be more important in teh grand scheme of things than VH who are just figureheads of a scene that PJ&T so aptly described as a "monstrosity that nearly killed rock music". Should that be rewarded?
    Chris Cornell

• mrwalkerb wrote:
    it seems that everyone who wants them to get in pretty much only say that EVH is awesome, some say david lee roth was a great frontman but I still think he's a wanker. The influence of the band is never mentioned as much as much as the influence of EVH himself. The thing is and the reason I started this thread is that when you stack them up against other people in the hall, The Clash, Velvet Underground etc. just seem to be more important in teh grand scheme of things than VH who are just figureheads of a scene that PJ&T so aptly described as a "monstrosity that nearly killed rock music". Should that be rewarded?
    No it shouldn't be rewarded, but no one said the rock and roll hall of fame was about positively influencing rock music.. or if they did no one said the people deciding this semantic bullshit deserved that right.

I shouldn't have said 'influence', I should've said 'impact'. Like an asteroid hitting the earth...

"Make our day"
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I loved the back street boys.

I hope they make it in 2018

:D
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • iluvcats wrote:
    I loved the back street boys.

I don't necessarily love them, but as a former Top-40 DJ, I Want It That Way, Everybody (Backstreet's Back) and Larger Than Life are solid tracks.

See, I have a soft spot for pop tunes.

PBM

I don't necessarily love them, but as a former Top-40 DJ, I Want It That Way, Everybody (Backstreet's Back) and Larger Than Life are solid tracks.

See, I have a soft spot for pop tunes.

PBM

I want it that way is one of the best pop songs of the nineties and better than anything Van Halen every wrote-I'm being completly serious here
    Chris Cornell

• mrwalkerb wrote:

some people just don't like hair-metal, just like a lot of people don't like grunge. Van Halen in the hall is a NO BRAINER, like some said. it's just goofy music, pearl jam is serious music. what are led zeppelin? some of both. VH are the best and originators of that particualr sub-genre. they deserve to be rewarded. possibly motley crue does, as well.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • mwachsmanmwachsman Posts: 474
    Van Halen fucking rocks. That is all.
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • mrwalkerb wrote:
    I want it that way is one of the best pop songs of the nineties and better than anything Van Halen every wrote-I'm being completly serious here

if you think "i want it that way" is a better pop song than "jump" or even compares to "unchained" and "ain't talking bout love", you should check to see if you still have a pair. j/k to each thier own, but i've heard that song plenty and to hear it put over VH is (shaking head).......wow
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
    if you think "i want it that way" is a better pop song than "jump" or even compares to "unchained" and "ain't talking bout love", you should check to see if you still have a pair. j/k to each thier own, but i've heard that song plenty and to hear it put over VH is (shaking head).......wow

well Jump might be close because I rock it out at kareoke but I want it that way is designed to be mass marketed, not sure if VH stuff was
    Chris Cornell

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,688
    So if you discount Van Halen's contributions to rock because of less talented imitators such as Poison and Warrant, don't you also have to discount Pearl Jam's contributions because of less talented imitators such as Creed and Nickelback?

Can't have your cake and eat it too my friend.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,688
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    The thing is and the reason I started this thread is that when you stack them up against other people in the hall, The Clash, Velvet Underground etc. just seem to be more important in teh grand scheme of things than VH
    And here are a few others besides the Clash and Velvet Underground who are currently inducted as performers:

Big Joe Turner
    Hank Ballard
    Jimmy Reed
    The Impressions
    Bobby "Blue" Bland
    Ruth Brown
    Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers
    Little Willie John
    The (Young) Rascals
    Lloyd Price
    The Staple Singers
    The Moonglows
    Solomon Burke
    The Flamingos
    The Dells

I dare say its fairly clear that Van Halen (and several other as of this moment still overlooked bands like Rush, Genesis, Yes and others) was of more importance and greater influence in the history of Rock and Roll than these and some others.

Its easy to say VH doesn't belong cause they aren't as influential as the Beatles, Elvis or Bob Dylan, but that philosophy would leave you with a HoF with about 14 members, and we wouldn't need the big fancy I.M. Pei building in Cleveland for that now would we.

Just because you don't like a band for particular style of rock doesn't mean its not worthy of recognition.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Poncier wrote:
    And here are a few others besides the Clash and Velvet Underground who are currently inducted as performers

In that same respect, The Bee Gees are in the Hall. Don't get me wrong, I'm a mark for "I Started A Joke", but if they're in, then VH has a secure spot.

PBM

• edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    locked wrote:
    they were at their best with "Fair Warning"..

That guitar opening to "mean streets" is the balls..

having stated that, VH remains the worst concert I ever attended..

I saw them in 1980 at the Cape Cod Collesium during their "women and children first" tour..

They played 50 (count 'em) 50 minutes as the headliner and were awful..
    just awfull..

Roth didn't even attempt to sing the words on cue and laughed through most on the songs..

the sound mix was so bad, you couldn;t tell when one song ended and another began..

Thanks for that, I thought I must have seen their two worst concerts back in 1980 and ’82. Short concerts with drum solo, base solo, guitar solo and sloppy drunk, every one of them. Final straw was in ’82 when DLR came out in chaps (backless leather pants) and shook his ass for a few songs. My friend and I looked at each other as the house lights came on at shows end and agreed never again. Second chance came with Sammy because I was a fan since Montrose. Those first couple of tours with Sammy Hagar were great he played second guitar most of the show and they performed more of his solo hits. That was fun.

Van Halen concerts ~ 2/23/80 ~ 8/19/82 ~ 11/1/86 ~ 9/14/91 ~ 10/14/95

“I don’t know if you picked up by the atmosphere, at least on stage tonight, its like sort of a high point of the whole tour to be back here, maybe after 6 nights it might not be so easy to say that, but at the moment we’d like to, we give you this song” Robert Plant before Stairway To Heaven LA 1977

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago