Trent\ /\/ / \/\ Out of Ideas -- Ripping off The Pixies ...

DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
edited September 2006 in Other Music
I have to confess,

i used to own all the halos ... starting with 1000 Homo DJs and ending with Further Down the Spiral (both versions) ...

but after that i just "gave up", har har ...
i saw them once or twice live after that and it just wasnt the same for me.

Anyhow, someone at work has "With Teeth" on their Itunes, and we are sharing over the network ...

"Getting Smaller" came on, and i can't help but notice that the beat, the feedback, the build, the structure of the verses AND chorus is nearly damn identical to "Planet Of Sound" by The Pixies ...

i've heard rip offs before, and i've heard rip offs ... but Trent just recycled this fucking song ... it's almost like a sad joke ...

does anyone else hear this but me, or am i on crack again?

i also think that for all those assholes out there who claim that Pearl Jam is no longer a "rock" band, that these people should look over to what Trent has been doing for the past decade ... the man is making music "With Dentures", imho.

:(
If I was to smile and I held out my hand
If I opened it now would you not understand?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I have not heard that song by the Pixies, but I have heard several people say what you said. It's my least favorite song on awitha teetha.
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Yeah, there definitely is a lot of similarity. Like, Dani Californaia/Mary Janes Last Dance similarity.

Strangely, I'd never noticed it before until this thread, but listening to them back to back....
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Yeah, I think A Perfect Drug started the decline. I am kinda like you, I think I stopped the halo collecting after Further Down the Spiral. He still has flashes of brilliance (title track from With Teeth) however he no doubt has lost his edge.

I wish he would totally reinvent himself.
  • Trent has always being a one-trick pony but what a trick it is. I think With Teeth is his most consistent album and I saw them live this year and it was fantastic.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • Trent has always being a one-trick pony but what a trick it is. I think With Teeth is his most consistent album and I saw them live this year and it was fantastic.

Only, The Hand That Feeds, Sunspots, All the Love in the World, Right Where it Belongs, The Collector, Every Day is Exactly the Same, I fucking love this album, one of my favourites of last year.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • i don't know the Pixies song either... so i guess it doesn't bother me that they sound alike...

i DO regret the lyric I've got my arms, they flip-flop-flip-flop-flip... though... wtf? :rolleyes: ;):D

i recently re-visited The Fragile after it not growing on me way back when.... and to my pleasant suprise, it finally sank in... :) There are some really great songs on it (on the Left side, anyways...)

cut the guy some slack... :p
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Only, The Hand That Feeds, Sunspots, All the Love in the World, Right Where it Belongs, The Collector, Every Day is Exactly the Same, I fucking love this album, one of my favourites of last year.:)

did you listen to nin starting with PHM & Broken or did you start around The Perfect Drug \ The Fragile period?

Don't you people who like the newer stuff think it's a wee-bit wussified for a guy that used to be labeled in the Alt-Rock\INDUSTRIAL category?

i dunno, i just can't get into it ... at all.
  • did you listen to nin starting with PHM & Broken or did you start around The Perfect Drug \ The Fragile period?

Don't you people who like the newer stuff think it's a wee-bit wussified for a guy that used to be labeled in the Alt-Rock\INDUSTRIAL category?

lol! i did start with PHM/Broken, and with the age of 30 looming, i feel a wee-bit wussified myself! ;)

his new stuff suits me just fine... :D

everyone changes, grows up, whatever... :)
  • did you listen to nin starting with PHM & Broken or did you start around The Perfect Drug \ The Fragile period?

The Downwood Spiral was my first NIN album so in between, my favourite track would be either Burn or Were in this Together Now, I like the old and the new stuff.
    The Perfect Drug is one of my least favourite songs by them.
  • lol! i did start with PHM/Broken, and with the age of 30 looming, i feel a wee-bit wussified myself! ;)

his new stuff suits me just fine... :D

everyone changes, grows up, whatever... :)

growing up is fine,
    making wussified pop-dance bubble gum music isn't.

Hand That Feeds sounds like a song by The Killers ...

ok, maybe not that bad, but it is a far cry from The Becoming or Wish or Burn as reefercheef mentioned.

:D
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    did you listen to nin starting with PHM & Broken or did you start around The Perfect Drug \ The Fragile period?

I just started listening last year (and was completely converted after seeing him live this year). I don't know if 'wussified' is the term - also, he wasn't just *in* the industrial category - he WAS the Industrial category, basically, no? I love the older music of Downward Spiral. The crazy part is stuff like Mr. Self Destruct actually calms me - I don't know why but it does. PHM isn't 'wussified' or soft, but much of WT is equal to PHM in terms of intensity IMO. I wouldn't call You Know What You Are exactly mellow though.

But artists change; to do otherwise is stagnancy, no? I wonder what he'll be up to on the next album that I guess we all hope comes out before 2010....
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • JaneNY wrote:
    also, he wasn't just *in* the industrial category - he WAS the Industrial category, basically, no?

lol ...
    you MAY want to check out bands like Ministry, Skinny Puppy, Front 242, KMFDM, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, Front Line Assembly, Throbbing Gristle, Clock DVA...

lol.
    a lot of old school industrial-heads would probably get pissed off and spit in your face for making a comment like that.

;)

i don't care though, fyi.
    :D:D:D
  • growing up is fine,
    making wussified pop-dance bubble gum music isn't.

Hand That Feeds sounds like a song by The Killers ...

ok, maybe not that bad, but it is a far cry from The Becoming or Wish or Burn as reefercheef mentioned.

:D

awww... c'mon... i wouldn't go that far! :)

dance? yes. pop? maybe a little. Bubble-gum, thankfully, it is not. :)

true. The Becoming, Wish, Burn are classics... My faves are Reptile, The Wretched, and Something I Can Never Have (and the list goes on)...

it's always hard to compare new material to classics... they haven't quite found their groove yet.... it just needs a little time.

i personally thing that The Collector could be the next Closer! ;) hahaha... j/k

but With Teeth has it's own moments... i love the Line Begins To Blur/Beside You in Time/Right Where It Belong combo!! Like JaneNY said.... very calming.

i guess i've always thought of NIN albums having an overall mood - and sometimes shouldn't be looked at as individual songs...

i'll stop blabbering now.
  • I am a huge NIN fan but I think he took way too much time in between the downward spiral and the Fragile and then again for With Teeth and lost the creative momentum. At least between PHM and TDS he released Broken/Fixed and was touring. He still makes great songs but not great albums. I know I will get bashed for it, but artists like him need the drugs/hate and depression to make a great album but at the same time the drugs crippled him into creating nothing at all for 5 year periods. He's so paranoid about perfection he ends up either taking too long or creating a lot of filler tracks.
    Barrie: 08/22/98 Boston 09 28-29/04
    Buffalo 05/02/03 Hamilton 09/13/05
    Kitchener: 09/11/05 London:09/12/05
    Montreal: 06/29/03, 09/15/05 Ottawa: 09/16/05 Toronto:9/21/96, 10/05/00, 06/28/03, 09/19/05, 05/09-10/06
  • but With Teeth has it's own moments... i love the Line Begins To Blur/Beside You in Time/Right Where It Belong combo!! Like JaneNY said.... very calming.

and there is my point.
    "very calming" is, to me, the ANTITHESIS of what /\/ / \/\ stood for.

I mean,
    Something I Can Never Have, A Warm Safe Place, Hurt, yeah okay ... but that's 3 songs on two non-consecutive albums with BROKEN in between (nothing "calming" there) and one is a short instrumental, to boot ...

but ... putting three "calming" songs in a row ???
    ugh.

just my opinion ...
    i'd say the same thing if Pearl Jam started stacking up the wuss side by side too ... and i just BARELY cut them slack for Come Back\Inside Job ... ;)
  • I am a huge NIN fan but I think he took way too much time in between the downward spiral and the Fragile and then again for With Teeth and lost the creative momentum. At least between PHM and TDS he released Broken/Fixed and was touring. He still makes great songs but not great albums. I know I will get bashed for it, but artists like him need the drugs/hate and depression to make a great album but at the same time the drugs crippled him into creating nothing at all for 5 year periods. He's so paranoid about perfection he ends up either taking too long or creating a lot of filler tracks.

You realise between TDS and Fragile there was Further Down The Spiral.
  • and there is my point.

I mean,
    Something I Can Never Have, A Warm Safe Place, Hurt, yeah okay ... but that's 3 songs on two non-consecutive albums with BROKEN in between (nothing "calming" there) and one is a short instrumental, to boot ...

ugh.

just my opinion ...
    i'd say the same thing if Pearl Jam started stacking up the wuss side by side too ... and i just BARELY cut them slack for Come Back\Inside Job ... ;)

LMAO!! i LOVE Come Back/Inside Job together!! my god... I'm getting old! :D:D:D

The funny thing is, I also find Further Down The Spiral calming too.... not in a soothing, realxing way... but more of a brain numbing, sounds-filling-your-whole-head, dizzy kinda calm... you know what i mean?

calming doesn't have to mean wussy. :)
  • The funny thing is, I also find Further Down The Spiral calming too.... not in a soothing, realxing way... but more of a brain numbing, sounds-filling-your-whole-head, dizzy kinda calm... you know what i mean?

i can agree with you there, i think. I personaly didn't find FDTS to be all it was cracked up to be.
    However, I used to pump The Downward Spiral at ungodly volume in my car back in highschool while driving not-exactly defensively ... AND THEN i also used to fall ASLEEP to it religiously ... i think there was like a month straight back in 9th grade or something where everynight i would put that album on my record player, headphones on, and listen to a side while falling asleep to the noise ...

it really got me to that happy dream state well ... that and for some reason i would listen to a side of Appetite for Destruction through headphones ... just because there are like 3 or 4 guitars going at the same time on most of that album and it really pop through when you are using the vinyl\headphones combo ...

hmm. the drugs probably helped, as well.
  • You realise between TDS and Fragile there was Further Down The Spiral.

Yes & the closure video set, but FDTS was remixes, as I guess was fixed but at least broken was new material. I remember seeing the Bowie/NIN tour and then he disappeared until some time in 99/2000. Can't say I was a huge fan of the fragile at the time it came out but after a few years i listened to it again it was pretty good. Just too much to take in all at once when it first came out.
    Barrie: 08/22/98 Boston 09 28-29/04
    Buffalo 05/02/03 Hamilton 09/13/05
    Kitchener: 09/11/05 London:09/12/05
    Montreal: 06/29/03, 09/15/05 Ottawa: 09/16/05 Toronto:9/21/96, 10/05/00, 06/28/03, 09/19/05, 05/09-10/06
  • and there is my point.

I mean,

ugh.

just my opinion ...

To be fair I would say many of the bigger bands from the late 80's, early 90's have gone/went wussified as you put it personally I still like all of the bands artists output that I've listed I would describe it as growth and maturity they still put out the hard rockers but now they're mixed with slower softer music.

Pearl Jam
    RHCP
    NIN
    Smashing Pumpkins before they split.
    Chris Cornell

I would say all these have gone "wussified".:)
  • To be fair I would say many of the bigger bands from the late 80's, early 90's have gone/went wussified as you put it personally I still like all of the bands artists output that I've listed I would describe it as growth and maturity they still put out the hard rockers but now they're mixed with slower softer music.

Pearl Jam
    RHCP
    NIN
    Smashing Pumpkins before they split.
    Chris Cornell

I would say all these have gone "wussified".:)

Well to be fair to wuss-ass-billy, SPumpkins was ALWAYS kinda wussy, going back to Gish.

Chris Cornell? eh ... maybe with his solo album, but Audioslave is hardly wussy? Is it classic like Soundgarden? Meh, i think not, but i wouldn't say it's wussy ... RHCP and NIN ? yeah, i can give you those two ... :D
  • Yeah, I wasn't impressed with With Teeth either. And the first couple times I saw them on this tour, I didn't think the band was that good. However, the last time I saw them (a month ago maybe) they were very good. I think Reznor is as close to flawless live as anyone can be.

Also, I would definitely give The Fragile a chance. I think there's some great stuff on there.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    lol ...
    you MAY want to check out bands like Ministry, Skinny Puppy, Front 242, KMFDM, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, Front Line Assembly, Throbbing Gristle, Clock DVA...

lol.
    a lot of old school industrial-heads would probably get pissed off and spit in your face for making a comment like that.

;)

haha, i've heard some of those bands, and listened to some online, but i don't know, i still think of nin as the main industrial band, but i'm not old school industrial so what do i know!

and as to calming, my original comment got corrupted. the stuff that I find calming is the harder stuff. like Mr. Self Destruct or March of the Pigs. i can't explain it.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • i'd say the same thing if Pearl Jam started stacking up the wuss side by side too ....

lol! "stacking up the wuss..."

still giggling over that.... :):):)
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    Why does having slower songs on an album make you wussified? I think it adds texture to an album.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • rrivers wrote:
    Why does having slower songs on an album make you wussified? I think it adds texture to an album.

uh.
    we're talking about NINE INCH NAILS ... ...

I used to really dig on KMFDM too ...

if they EVER put some lame ass emo bullshit on an album, i would fucking puke!

it's INDUSTRIAL for fucksake!

like i said, have a slow song if you want, but if the overall consistency of your music falls over to the land of wuss, then i'm'a'gonna write you off!

if we were talking about Ben Harper, Dave Mathews or who-have-you, yeah sure ... jerk off with a pan flute and call it a day ... but this is /\/ / \/\, i say.

Fuckheads, march on!
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    lol ...

lol.

;)

Most of those bands would spit in your face for calling them industrial.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    uh.
    we're talking about NINE INCH NAILS ... ...

I used to really dig on KMFDM too ...

if they EVER put some lame ass emo bullshit on an album, i would fucking puke!

it's INDUSTRIAL for fucksake!

like i said, have a slow song if you want, but if the overall consistency of your music falls over to the land of wuss, then i'm'a'gonna write you off!

if we were talking about Ben Harper, Dave Mathews or who-have-you, yeah sure ... jerk off with a pan flute and call it a day ... but this is /\/ / \/\, i say.

Fuckheads, march on!

Pretty Hate Machine wasn't a heavy album. At all. I can't listen to it now, as it really REALLY sounds like it was recorded in 1989. PHM can hardly be considered industrial.

Broken was an EP. Very short, completely different from PHM. There was a change.

The Downward Spiral, an awesome album. Very Heavy, and very industrial, continuing and building on the sounds from Broken.

The Fragile has some very heavy, and some very soft moment. It's an awesome album, and is only as different from TDS as TDS is different from PHM.

With Teeth has some very very loud moments of it, and I don't think can be called wussified. It is a good album, and the songs sound very good live.

To call NIN wussified is ridiculous. They have only changed over time. If every album sounded the same as TDS, people would be complaining about that.

EDIT: OK. Scrap all of what I just said. Just listening to Planet Of Sound by the Pixies, and it does sound eerily like Getting Smaller.

I still love NIN though. :D
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • rrivers wrote:
    Most of those bands would spit in your face for calling them industrial.

what would you call them then, mr fucking know-it-all...
    (edit: please say "electronica" so i can have a good laugh)

what a douche.
  • All I can say is that I'm a huge NIN fan. I have more respect for Trent Reznor than I do for most people and I don't even know the guy. There is suppose to be a new album in 2007 and I can hardly wait. NIN live, that's a whole different beast. If you want to see one of the best concerts of your life, I would highly recommend it, even if you are an occassional listener. With that being said, Pearl Jam is still my favorite band, of all time!!!!