Traveling Wilburys CDs reissued with care

Comments

• robfest2 wrote:
    Why would they sound worse?

Bad remastering.
  • robfest2robfest2 Posts: 594
    JWBusher wrote:
    Bad remastering.

But why would you assume they would do a bad job remastering the CDs?
  • robfest2 wrote:

I've been told by a few people that they're too loud and compressed, but I'll be the judge when my copy arrives...

My point is that the originals sounded fine, and I probably wouldn't be buying these new ones if not for the extra shit.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    I love all the TW love and resepct on this board!
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    $25 for the 2cd dvd regular version. Great price!

If I was to figure out the math I can see why I get really pissed off at buying ANY NEW RELEASE CD for over $10. The record companies continue to screw the fans! :(
  • AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    Did anyone get the deluxe version? I got the standard myself...would love to see how the deluxe is different. As far as I could tell, it's just that it's numbered/limited - the content is the same, right?
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    augustwest wrote:
    So the dvd has all the videos AND extras?

The music videos are:
    Handle with care
    End of the Line
    she's my baby
    Inside out
    and wilbury twist.

The documentary on the recording sessions is maybe 15- 20 minutes long and shows studio recording footage of the first album. You can watch it in full or it is split into chapters on the main menu.
    As for Extras I think those are the audio tracks and they are only on the cds, but if you buy the package it all comes included. "Maxine" and "Like a ship" are tracks 11 and 12 on disc 1 and "Noybody's child" and, "runaway" and are the extra tracks 12 and 13 on disc 2.

"Runaway" was actually covered by a country artist named Gary Allen. I don't like Country music at all really, but Gary Allen's version is great as well considering it's the first version I ever heard. I love both versions of the song.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    Well I only listened to it in my car so far, but I think it sounds wonderful. There is finally warm, musical and strong low end! When I get a chance, I'll listen to it on my sound system and see if it sounds compressed.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
    JWBusher wrote:
    I've been told by a few people that they're too loud and compressed, but I'll be the judge when my copy arrives...

My point is that the originals sounded fine, and I probably wouldn't be buying these new ones if not for the extra shit.
    FYI They sound great
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Did anyone get the deluxe version? I got the standard myself...would love to see how the deluxe is different. As far as I could tell, it's just that it's numbered/limited - the content is the same, right?
    The deluxe version has a larger booklet enclosed, I think I read it is around 40 pages compared to the 16 the standard version has.
  • robfest2 wrote:

Most, if not all, music that isn't country music these days is mastered or produced way too loud. So, it stands to reason that someone knowing this would assume that a new release that was remastered would be done poorly.

http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicrange.htm

Edit: For addition link content.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007250708,00.html
    http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicdeath.htm
    http://music.guardian.co.uk/pop/story/0,,1992465,00.html#article

and a great short video that explains it all can be found at the bottom of the page found by following the first link. All the other links can be found there, too.
    Most, if not all, music that isn't country music these days is mastered or produced way too loud. So, it stands to reason that someone knowing this would assume that a new release that was remastered would be done poorly.

BS

The CDs sound great
  • I just got my copy and have inspected the sound. It's a bit loud and compressed, but not offensively so. The problem for me is that it's way too fucking bright...WAY too bright. Just the first 20 seconds of the first song was enough to give me a headache in headphones. There is sibilance everywhere. The original CD is far more pleasant to listen to, but that's typical these days. Most people will think the remaster sounds better because it's louder and brighter (which translates as "clearer" to the uninformed.)
  • robfest2 wrote:
    BS

The CDs sound great

Yeah, but the originals sound much better.
    JWBusher wrote:
    Yeah, but the originals sound much better.

If you say so:rolleyes:
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    While I'm impressed that people have the ability to pick out differences like those, I am very glad that I personally do not have that particular ability, it seems like it would make enjoying music much more difficult than it should be.
    Considering I have never owned either volume on CD....and I only own volume 1 on LP.....I am stoked as all get out about picking up the these CDs.
  • All in all I think these reissues are very good and I'm glad people can buy these again and discover this great music!
    JWBusher wrote:
    I've been told that the remasters are too bright because they're HDCD encoded so they'll sound too bright if you don't have a decoder...so that explains the brightness! All in all I think these reissues are very good and I'm glad people can buy these again and discover this great music!
    Who are these people who tell you all this shit? And how did they get so cool?:rolleyes:
  • robfest2 wrote:
    BS

The CDs sound great

I would question your standards then...
  • robfest2 wrote:
    Who are these people who tell you all this shit? And how did they get so cool?:rolleyes:

Huh? What's YOUR problem? Fuck off if you have nothing constructive to say.
  • I was wrong about the HDCD thing...these discs are not HDCD encoded, so they actually ARE way too bright.
    JWBusher wrote:
    All in all I think these reissues are very good and I'm glad people can buy these again and discover this great music!
    I think we can all agree with that, JWBusher! I only discovered the TW about 4 or 5 years ago. So for me, this is terrific news.
  • Yeah, I definitely agree that this is fucking awesome news! It just disappointments me with how many people think that something is better if it is now remastered to today's standards because most of the time that isn't the case and things sound even worse. In many cases it isn't even the mastering engineers fault...
    I would question your standards then...

Question away
    JWBusher wrote:
    Huh? What's YOUR problem? Fuck off if you have nothing constructive to say.

Not nice
    JWBusher wrote:
    I was wrong about the HDCD thing...these discs are not HDCD encoded, so they actually ARE way too bright.

I guess Your people failed you

OK here is something constructive. By analyze the music so closely you take all the fun out of it.

Put the CDs on sit back and enjoy it!!!
  • robfest2 wrote:
    Question away

OK here is something constructive. By analyze the music so closely you take all the fun out of it.

Your arguments are laughable. By stating that I should just put the CDs back on and enjoy is quite ironic. Am I supposed to not listen to the music at all. I thought the point of listening to music was to actually hear it and with how loud things are getting you are just getting voices sung over distortion. Not to mention how fatiguing it can be to sit through a whole CD these days. A great example is Pearl Jam's new CD. It is way too loud and I will lose interest in it after awhile or get a headache due to the distortion of things. This has nothing to do with the quality of the musicianship as the songs on that CD are some of my favorite.

I don't analyze music too closely, but when all the instruments sound squished together it is disappointing and not even close to what it would sound like if played live.

I think it would do you good to actually read some of the links I posted or to at least watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    I'm going to pick one up tomorrow b4 work. :D
  • robfest2 wrote:
    By analyze the music so closely you take all the fun out of it.

I don't like it when music sounds like shit, and I thought it was worth mentioning that these new remasters aren't necessary if you still have the old discs. If that's crazy to you, then keep your smart ass comments and eye rolls to yourself. Just because you have no standards doesn't mean you should criticize mine.
    Sludge Factory and JWBusher, if the CDs are so bad maybe you should sell your copies. But I will enjoy mine and the BS talk about too bright and all that shit will not stop me.
  • robfest2 wrote:
    Sludge Factory and JWBusher, if the CDs are so bad maybe you should sell your copies. But I will enjoy mine and the BS talk about too bright and all that shit will not stop me.

I'm not trying to stop you. I'm just trying to open your mind to the fact that it isn't just bullshit talk and that there are real valid concerns here. Just because you deem something to be good doesn't make it necessarily so; in your mind, maybe, but the reality of things can be different at times.

Suggesting that we sell our copies just because we feel they could be better is ignorant. Constructive criticism is used to help point out problems so as to avoid them in the future. If you just happily accept everything thrown your way you end up in the dilemma that companies like Ford have going on. Their internal structure was so messed up prior to their new CEO that the engineers would just accept things as mediocre products and avoid answering to failure.

If I have a sink full of dirty dishes I'm not just going to ignore them or sell them away. That doesn't fix the problem at all, nay, I am going to work at a possible solution so I can enjoy those dishes in all their splendid glory and use them as intended.