Porcupine Tree Pokes Fun at Pearl Jam

2»

Comments

• peepspeeps Posts: 79
    you can't patent words danny, is the title similar? yes, is it the same? no. And i'm pretty sure even if it would have been EXACTLY the same, it still wouldn't matter, since it's only words.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    peeps wrote:
    you can't patent words danny, is the title similar? yes, is it the same? no. And i'm pretty sure even if it would have been EXACTLY the same, it still wouldn't matter, since it's only words.
    No you can't patent words, but phrases, yes. And I'm pretty sure the album title is copyrighted. If not, that doesn't matter. That's not what I'm saying. Obviously you're not seeing my perspective, so oh well, that's fine.

I see them as hypocrites, you don't. End of story.
  • anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    magikev wrote:
    Okay, so I can't quite decide what to make out of this, whether they are saying that Pearl Jam sucks or that the wannabe band sucks for trying to sound like them. But here are lyrics from the 1st track of Porcupine Tree's new album Fear of a Blank Planet (which, by the way, is great).

"My friend says he wants to die
    He's in a band
    They sound like Pearl Jam
    The clothes are all black
    The music is crap"

So, what's the call?

[random] this is weird. I have a friend in Poland that basically gave me this same quote from Porcupine Tree last week.
  • SunDevilSunDevil Posts: 10
    danny72688 wrote:
    No you can't patent words, but phrases, yes. And I'm pretty sure the album title is copyrighted. If not, that doesn't matter. That's not what I'm saying. Obviously you're not seeing my perspective, so oh well, that's fine.

I see them as hypocrites, you don't. End of story.

And I'm just saying it's absolutely ridiculous and foolish to consider them hypocrites because of this. End of story.
    SunDevil wrote:
    And I'm just saying it's absolutely ridiculous and foolish to consider them hypocrites because of this. End of story.
    I get what you're saying, but how is it foolish and/or ridiculous? They are doing what they poke fun at.

I accept that you and others don't agree with me though--I partially expected it. I don't even care about this band. Don't know why I'm even bothering to argue.
    danny72688 wrote:
    I get what you're saying, but how is it foolish and/or ridiculous? They are doing what they poke fun at.

I accept that you and others don't agree with me though--I partially expected it. I don't even care about this band. Don't know why I'm even bothering to argue.

It's foolish and ridiculous because they are not doing what they poke fun at. You must seriously have the brain of a peanut if you can't figure out the difference between borrowing an album title and being a complete wannabe and ripoff.
    SunDevil wrote:
    It's foolish and ridiculous because they are not doing what they poke fun at. You must seriously have the brain of a peanut if you can't figure out the difference between borrowing an album title and being a complete wannabe and ripoff.
    I can tell the difference and I've been saying the whole time Porupine Tree isn't doing the same thing. There is an obvious difference between borrowing a title and borrowing a sound, but in the end it's still borrowing.

Who cares anyway? I'm burnt out on this argument that is obviously going nowhere and neither of us are changing each others minds. I'm sure the album is good.
    danny72688 wrote:
    I can tell the difference and I've been saying the whole time Porupine Tree isn't doing the same thing. There is an obvious difference between borrowing a title and borrowing a sound, but in the end it's still borrowing.

Who cares anyway? I'm burnt out on this argument that is obviously going nowhere and neither of us are changing each others minds. I'm sure the album is good.

You're sounding alot like a certain man in the white house.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    danny72688 wrote:

It's different because they are acknowledging that it is a reference to the PE record, by doing this (and I think someone already mentioned it) they are changing the context that people approach the album. It's not like the Vanilla Ice thing were he stole the bassline from teh Queen/Bowie song, it's like when Weird Al did his weird al take on teh cover of nevermind. it's called an allusion. That's the difference. It would be hypocritical if they were calling out bands that ape PJ but the whole time were ripping someone else off, this isn't. And if you don't see this than yes it would appear opinions can be wrong
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • 3manstack3manstack Posts: 205
    I think he used PJ just coz it would scan better in the lyrics

just think if he used the following....

Hes in a band they sound like Soundgarden, theyre clothes are all black theyre music is crap.

See, just doesnt read right does it?

Very cool album, not too keen on it at first but quite the grower.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Arctangent wrote:
    they are an excellent English group. i know its hard to believe that there are actually people outside the USA who make music but there are;)

you should try them out. you never know, you might like them

I'm from England and I have not heard of them.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    SunDevil wrote:
    You're sounding alot like a certain man in the white house.
    How long did it take for you to think of that one?
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    It's different because they are acknowledging that it is a reference to the PE record, by doing this (and I think someone already mentioned it) they are changing the context that people approach the album. It's not like the Vanilla Ice thing were he stole the bassline from teh Queen/Bowie song, it's like when Weird Al did his weird al take on teh cover of nevermind. it's called an allusion. That's the difference. It would be hypocritical if they were calling out bands that ape PJ but the whole time were ripping someone else off, this isn't. And if you don't see this than yes it would appear opinions can be wrong
    Did you even read what I've been saying before? I said all of the above and the post you quoted I even said it's different. It's not complete hypocracy - it's not like they are stealing music like the bands they talk about - but in the sense that's it's okay for them to borrow (doesn't matter what or how much) but others can't it certainly is.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Arctangent wrote:
    they are an excellent English group. i know its hard to believe that there are actually people outside the USA who make music but there are;)

i'm in australia so i can totally believe it. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    icarus wrote:
    this made me laugh. ;) most of the music that i've been listening to in the last 2 years has been british, although i've been listening to a lot more american indie lately.

anways, porcupine tree are pretty good. i have some friends that really like them. i really dug in absentia but i really need to check out the other stuff. i'll def. give this album a listen.

glad i gave someone a giggle!

i can't believe someone has such a bee in their bonnet about the clever use of public enemy's album title though. when you know the band and understand what steve wilson is on about its actually very clever. and lets face it they aren't the first are they. soundgarden nicked badmotorfinger from someone didn't they? who cares. why let something as stupid as that get in the way of a damn good band?
    I'm from England and I have not heard of them.

where on earth have you been then?
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Arctangent wrote:

where on earth have you been then?

I do live in my own little world;), perhaps I'll download a couple of tracks.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    danny72688 wrote:
    How long did it take for you to think of that one?

Did you even read what I've been saying before? I said all of the above and the post you quoted I even said it's different. It's not complete hypocracy - it's not like they are stealing music like the bands they talk about - but in the sense that's it's okay for them to borrow (doesn't matter what or how much) but others can't it certainly is.

Partial hypocrisy... Now that's a new one. LOL
    SunDevil wrote:
    Partial hypocrisy... Now that's a new one. LOL
    Guess I'm just making it up as I go ;)
  • JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
    danny72688 wrote:
    You are correct. And it is copying on PJs part, but they aren't condemning it like Porcupine Tree has.

so all you fools
    who sing just like him
    feel free to do so now
    cuz he's dead

so sing just like him, f***ers
    it won't offend him
    just me
    because he's dead

pearl jam - 4/20/02
    JSP552003 wrote:
    so all you fools
    who sing just like him
    feel free to do so now
    cuz he's dead

so sing just like him, f***ers
    it won't offend him
    just me
    because he's dead

pearl jam - 4/20/02
    ......shit.

LOL touche :cool:
  • DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    Just to get back to the "they sound like Pearl Jam... the music is crap" lines that started the thread...

This is one verse of about 10 in the song, where the narrator (an overstimulated modern teen) dismisses everything around him as boring. He hates everything and is totally disconnected. ("Don't try engaging me... You'll never find a person inside"). We really have no idea what Porcupine Tree thinks of PJ, they just use them as a label and the narrator makes a sweeping generalization. For all we know, the friend's band actually sounds nothing like PJ but the narrator is too disengaged to care.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman