Grunge is on a comeback

2»

Comments

• larslars Posts: 524
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    There are no good grunge bands coming out because there never were grunge bands in the first place. It's just a marketing term.

Sort of like calling fans of Detroit sports teams optimistic. :p
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I hear Macho Man Randy Savage is making a comeback
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Yeah James should be in the band. I heard Aperfect Circle is done so that should free up James for the Pumpkins.

Well I hate fighting of the grunge thing. I know what your saying yes it is a marketing scheme. How else are you going to compare a group of bands that came out in a certain time period to other bands. The bands did have a different sound to them from hair metal so I can understand why they thought they were something different and grouped together. Also a lot of the bands did come out from the same are of the country Seattle Area.

Anyways are there any newer bands out there that you guys like that sound similar to bands that were once labled grunge?

Most of my favorties have been bands from the past that make new records or form new bands i.e. audioslave, VR, AOA,pj, stp, toadies.

I did not really like Zwan much. I like the Smashing Pumpkins way more.

• Anyways are there any newer bands out there that you guys like that sound similar to bands that were once labled grunge?

Apart from Black Market Radio, no. All the Creeds, Nickelbacks, Shinedowns, Godsmacks, etc are all fake. They don't feel authentic at all.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • I never heard black market radio. What is their website?
  • sorry for being elitist but post grunge and nu metal is NOT simply grunge with a new label. post grunge and nu metal is simply shit with a new label. (except for a couple of exceptions, SOAD, Deftones, which can't be put under the catergories of nu metal and post grunge anyway)

there is much cool new music out there but alas grunge is not the best of it. the music that the old school grunge bands are releasing is good in my opinion but not a patch on stuff being released by mastodon, isis, jesu and sigur ros just to name a few. unfortunately grunge has had its time. but by god it rocked the socks off our cocks will it was at its peak.
    www.facebook.com/PandoraApparel
  • I never heard black market radio. What is their website?

BMR

Chris Cornell's brother is the lead singer.
  • Yeah I agree on the SOTD and deftones comment. I like some of it but not like grunge back in the hay day. Could you post links to those new bands you like. I never heard of most of them.
  • Yeah BMR sounds good. I will have to get some of their stuff and give it a try. They sound a lot like soundgarden to me. Mabye more like badmotorfinger. He really does sound a lot like chris.
  • Yeah I agree on the SOTD and deftones comment. I like some of it but not like grunge back in the hay day. Could you post links to those new bands you like. I never heard of most of them.

mastodon are a kinda hardcore/classic/grindcore metal band.
    http://www.mastodonrocks.com

isis are a post-metal band or whatever you wanna call them.
    http://www.isistheband.com

jesu are kinda like isis. except a little stranger. justin broadrick is their man member. he was the man behind godflesh
    http://www.avalancheinc.co.uk/jesu.html

sigur ros are a post rock band from iceland
    http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk

these bands are fairly uncommercial with unusual song structures and arrangements. enjoy.
  • Good ridance.....rocks
  • My favorite track from their album is "Better Than A Killer."
  • I will have to check that out.
  • mtildenmtilden Posts: 62
    All this can really fall under the umbrella of hard rock. And maybe its just me, but, with the exception of Queens of the Stone Age, the hard rock genre has not produced anything remotely interesting in ten years.
    "Go fuck yourself"
    -Dick Cheney

"Are you taking over or are you taking orders"
    -Joe Strummer 1952-2002

"All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting."
    -George Orwell
  • I know what your saying. Yeah there has not been as many good bands in the last ten years.

There have been some good bands in the last ten years how about

goodsmack (self titled, awake), korn (issues), aperfect circle,

some good records by veterans

RHCP (californiacation, by the way)
    PJ (all of them since 1996)
    STP (stp #4)
    TOADIES (hell below stars above, live)
    Rob Zombie (all of his)
    Weezer (green)
    Tool (laterus rocked)
    monster magnet (monolithic baby, god says no)
    Megadeth (all of em)
    Metallica (loads)
  • i agree i've found hard rock pretty boring in the last ten years. invariably my favourite artists of the last ten years have come from outside the hard rock genre.

best bands and musicians of last ten year imo:
    sigur ros (post-rock)
    fiona apple (singer-songriter)
    mastodon (metal)
    isis (metal)
    jesu (metal)
    ...and you will know us by the trail of dead (somewhat hard rock) (indie rock)
    mars volta (prog)
    at the drive-in (post-hardcore)
    glassjaw (post-hardcore)
    death cab for cutie (indie)
    queens of the stone age (hard rock)
    a perfect circle (alt rock)
    tool (my favourite tool material was released since 1996) (prog rock)
    system of a down (alt metal)
    deftones (alt metal)
    willy mason (folk)
    arctic monkeys (indie rock)

there are others i just can't think of them
  • to be fair 'grunge' is on its way back up.......

dont forget lemonheads have a new album and dinosaur jr reformed recently...i heard the other day even they are planning on a new album as well as the pixies hu have booked studio time.....

not only that but blind melon have reformed as well as malfunkshun of all bands....

apart from that audioslave, pearl jam and mudhoney have all released shit hot albums this year and kurt cobain is the richest dead celeb........

mark lanegan is still touring with greg dulli.......2 more grunge legends

grunge is very much alive !!

and for the people in the uk, you may wanna go into ur local topshop...their new winter range will make u giggle......even that trendy shit house has gone grunge
    ...when a truant finds home....
  • mtildenmtilden Posts: 62
    I know what your saying. Yeah there has not been as many good bands in the last ten years.

I disagree with that. There are plenty of great bands doing very interesting things, I just don't think any of them are doing it in the hard rock genre, except QOTSA.
    "Go fuck yourself"
    -Dick Cheney

"Are you taking over or are you taking orders"
    -Joe Strummer 1952-2002

"All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting."
    -George Orwell
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    i´m getting tired when people says new rock generation totally sucks....
    i born in ´81 and grew up listening and loving 90 rock bands, and i don´t think that 80´s and ´00 rock bands suck at all...

there´s many bands playing good rock music: qosta, audioslave´´it´s so hard in music get good support and good reviews of people when you start any project in your 37, 39 years.... velvet revolver, soad, foo fighters, the white stripes, a perfect circle, tool, deftones, death for cutie, deftones, trivium...
  • Oh here we go again :rolleyes:
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles