Grunge is on a comeback

stonetemplejamstonetemplejam Posts: 91
edited October 2006 in Other Music
Grunge never died it just lost popularity. I think the quality of the music is getting better this year. There is some new bands coming out and also veterans from the grunge era still rocking. Rock music in general is headed for a comeback. It is about time. Because music sucked for a while now. I have had a hard time finding bands that I liked in the last five years. Versus the early 90s that seemed to be a meca of great bands. We had the so called grunge bands and we had great bands like GNR, Metallica, Megadeth, Corrosion of Comformity, etc. I think we are finally headed for another period of great music.

Matter of fact I think grunge is headed for a comeback

we just got a great Pearl Jam record

AOA is coming out http://www.armyofanyone.com
VR is coming out with album 2
Audioslave just release revalations http://www.audioslave.com
burden brothers are releasing mercury http://www.theburdenbrothers.com

hell AIC is on tour

and smashing pumpkins are in the studio recording a new studio album.

This is all good man.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• edigerediger Posts: 308
    Lets crack out the flannel and doc martins!
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    fuck I certainly hope not
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
    Echoes wrote:
    fuck I certainly hope not

you don't want to see everyone in ripped shorts again?
    I don't want to hear the music
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    Grunge never died it was just labled as post grunge or numetal. A lot of the bands have elements of grunge now days like Godsmack, Audioslave, AOA, Velvet Revolver, Foo Fighters, Fuel, Creed, etc.....

hell AIC is on tour

This is all good man.

I don't think it ever died as a sound. Fashionably it may have, but it has stayed around floating amoungst all the poo-poo.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Velvet Revolver? and these are grunge how? Godsmack?? Fuel??? CREED??????????

Tell me, what exactly is 'GRUNGE'?
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Velvet Revolver? and these are grunge how? Godsmack?? Fuel??? CREED??????????

Tell me, what exactly is 'GRUNGE'?

Apparently nu-metal is 'grunge' as well lol

But seriously, to answer reeferchief's point: yes, the avocado is out, yes audioslave is out and doing well. But sadly it's primarily the 'grunge leftovers' - us, in our late teens, twenties and thirties - who are listening to them. These guys, Cornell, Vedder, Morello, the AIC guys. They're oldschool veterans. From old bands who already reached the height of their fame. Once they're gone, well...

Only way real grunge will make a comeback is if the next generations started to listen to it in droves, which is unlikely. If I wanted to smile about grunge still being about, I'd smile about the fact that grunge has influenced every one of my favourite bands, and you can hear it in their current stuff.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Godsmack, Audioslave, AOA, Velvet Revolver, Foo Fighters, Fuel, Creed, etc.....
    Y'see the problem with this is that most of those bands are beyond crap.
    Y'see the problem with this is that most of those bands are beyond crap.

And none of them are grunge. Just a few guys who used to be in bands that were classed as grunge.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Only way real grunge will make a comeback is if the next generations started to listen to it in droves, which is unlikely.

That will take at least another generation - like some young kids now get into ac/dc, zeppelin, pink floyd... i wouldn't rule out 10-15 years from now when grunge is considered part of classic rock....
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • here is a thought..."grunge" never really existed!

The term at best categorises a punk/heavy rock combination, but how many bands TRULLY were/are grunge? I don't think too many...ie...I never viewed Soundgarden, Sublime, PJ as grunge.
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
    here is a thought..."grunge" never really existed!

The term at best categorises a punk/heavy rock combination, but how many bands TRULLY were/are grunge? I don't think too many...ie...I never viewed Soundgarden, Sublime, PJ as grunge.

Bingo.:)
  • larslars Posts: 524
    Echoes wrote:
    I don't want to hear the music
    Well, fuck off then. By the way BM (hey man, that´s blind melon) are back in rehearsal.
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
    Grunge died the day Nevermind was released.
  • upina2001upina2001 Posts: 764
    "GRUNGE" is today's modern rock.

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Grunge never died it was just labled as post grunge or numetal. A lot of the bands have elements of grunge now days like Godsmack, Audioslave, AOA, Velvet Revolver, Foo Fighters, Fuel, Creed, etc.....

hell AIC is on tour

This is all good man.

Dude 'grunge' never existed. Sorry, but it didn't. AIC, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana etc etc? They were all completely different. The whole concept of 'grunge' has more to do with geography than the music. Not trying to be an ass, merely making a observation.

PEACE
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
    lars wrote:
    Well, fuck off then. By the way BM (hey man, that´s blind melon) are back in rehearsal.

I was hoping it would mean Black Metal
  • yeah I know what you mean that a lot of band that were labeled grunge sounded different. Soundgarden was more of a metal band. Pearl Jam more of seventies rock band my guess. Nirvana was more of a 80s indie band like their influences the meat puppets and such.

Well anyways the music from that era seems to be making a come back. Eaither the old bands are getting back together or a new band is forming with old members. Also you got new bands that were inflenced by grunge. Like for instance Godsmack that was influenced by AIC. Days of the New sounded like AIC in some regard. Creed sounded a lot like a grunge band at times. Anyways yeah a lot of the new bands are not as good but you get the point.

If you liked the Toadies the new band the Burden Brothers sounds a lot like them because it has the singer from the toadies.

I think it is real exciting that AIC is touring again. I think it is awsome that Pearl Jam made a great record. I like Audioslave Revalations. Also, Chris Cornell is doing a solo project. Scott Weiland is doing a solo project. Hell the Foo Fighters are putting out a acustic album. We got AOA that is stp with the singer of filter putting an album out. This is the most activity I have seen in years. There is more bands that are worth listening putting out records now then their has been since the early 90s. That is my point.

Rock is on a comeback in general. This is all good news for us music lovers.
  • "Black Stone Cherry" is an interesting band, and reminds me some of the music done in that era.
    Hey I, ooooooohhh, I'm still ALIIIIIVEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    "Black Stone Cherry" is an interesting band, and reminds me some of the music done in that era.

Try some Boris, but Black Stone Cherry is for sure an intresting band.
  • All of the shitty pop rock bands that you could label as "grunge" elements suck ass. Completely unoriginal garbage.

Foo Fighters are amazing but they definetly don't fit that category I just listed... Audioslave don't either (whether or not you think they suck :p ).

Here's a good example of one way they suck...

Godsmack.... even the name is ripped off of Alice in Chains. Terrible and plagueristic (that a word?) almost to the point of parody.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • ediger wrote:
    Grunge died the day Nevermind was released.
    truth
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    Grunge never died it was just labled as post grunge or numetal. A lot of the bands have elements of grunge now days like Godsmack,
    Not Grunge
    Audioslave,
    Not Grunge
    AOA,
    Not Grunge
    Velvet Revolver
    Not Grunge
    Foo Fighters
    Not Grunge
    Fuel
    Not Grunge
    Creed
    Not Grunge

But i do dig audioslave (alot more if out of exile was never released) and some casual Foo. Fuel peaked with their 2nd album and CREED????COME ON Creed is like saying pj sucks on this board be careful! Rock has been very up and down over the last 10 years in general, i think it makes up appreciate when quality comes out.
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Grunge itself is just a label. No act that was labeled grunge every called their music that AFAIK...at least not the real ones.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Binaural wrote:
    Dude 'grunge' never existed. Sorry, but it didn't. AIC, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana etc etc? They were all completely different. The whole concept of 'grunge' has more to do with geography than the music. Not trying to be an ass, merely making a observation.

PEACE
    "grunge" is the term mainstream media gave the punk/hard rock" muddy guitar sound that was coming out of Seattle in the early 90s.
  • Godsmack used to be an AIC coverband. That is why they are named after a AIC song. That is very common for coverbands to name their self after a song. I do admit that Godsmack has not made a great album since Awake. I really just like the first one and Awake.

How about Queens of the Stone age. They had David Growl in the band for while. I think they rock.

Creed is hated by many. So bash them I dont care. I do like some of their stuff. I think weathered was a good album. It had some heavy stuff on it. You more then likey only listened to the songs on the radio. The rest of the album was heavier then the singles.

The foo fighters made a couple good albums. I think they are hit and miss. They are more Pop then nirvana ever was.

Hey if you dont like the bands that is ok. My main point is there is a lot of grunge influenced bands out their. Most dont admit it because people may make fun of it. Personally I think that the grunge bands were some of the best bands when they came out in the early 90s. I think their music is timeless. It would be great if some one would come out with an awsome album that was not just a watered down version of what used to be good. I think that is the real problem with most of these new grunge influenced bands. They try to be too radio friendly.

I liked how agressive nirvana was. They did a lot of stuff that would normally not be on a major record release. They pulled it off and that is why they were so awsome. For instance the hidden track on nevermind or kurt vocals. His voice was unique. His style of guitar was revolutionary when it came out.
  • Godsmack used to be an AIC coverband. That is why they are named after a AIC song. That is very common for coverbands to name their self after a song. I do admit that Godsmack has not made a great album since Awake. I really just like the first one and Awake.
    Cool. they were an alice coverband. That would explain the D rated impression the singer does of Layne.

How about Queens of the Stone age. They had David Growl in the band for while. I think they rock.
    They do rock. But they aren't "grunge revival" or anything. Hell they aren't really even mainstream.

Creed is hated by many. So bash them I dont care. I do like some of their stuff. I think weathered was a good album. It had some heavy stuff on it. You more then likey only listened to the songs on the radio. The rest of the album was heavier then the singles.
    I actually had the weathered album as a kid. Back before I knew better. Then I started to develop taste and threw it away.

The foo fighters made a couple good albums. I think they are hit and miss. They are more Pop then nirvana ever was.
    I think all the Foo albums are great and I'll up the anty...

DAVE GROHL IS FAR MORE TALENTED THAN KURT EVER WAS - MUSICIANSHIP, WRITING, LIVE PERFORMANCE, SINGING, EVERYTHING.

Hey if you dont like the bands that is ok. My main point is there is a lot of grunge influenced bands out their. Most dont admit it because people may make fun of it. Personally I think that the grunge bands were some of the best bands when they came out in the early 90s. I think their music is timeless. It would be great if some one would come out with an awsome album that was not just a watered down version of what used to be good. I think that is the real problem with most of these new grunge influenced bands. They try to be too radio friendly.
    I think the problem is that there is little to no talent or soul in the lot of them.

I liked how agressive nirvana was. They did a lot of stuff that would normally not be on a major record release. They pulled it off and that is why they were so awsome. For instance the hidden track on nevermind or kurt vocals. His voice was unique. His style of guitar was revolutionary when it came out.
    Yes.

Didn't mean to pick apart your post like that, but this little movement that's been dumbing down our culture since "grunge" became less interesting (when Cobain died coincidentally...) is almost 'hair metal' in its lameness.

"Make our day"
  • i think this made me dumber.
  • yeah I agree with your post. 99% of these grunge influenced bands have not really been that great. I am in hopes things are about to change. It just seems the quality of music is getting good again this year. With all the good albums coming out it is looking promising. Hopefully things get even better in the next serval years. I am looking forward to the new smashing pumpkins album. I want to see them on tour again. I saw them back when meloncollie and the infinite sadness tour was on. They were awsome.

So what good grunge style bands have came out recently that rock? Let me know so I can check them out. Maybe I missed some of them.
  • yeah I agree with your post. 99% of these grunge influenced bands have not really been that great. I am in hopes things are about to change. It just seems the quality of music is getting good again this year. With all the good albums coming out it is looking promising. Hopefully things get even better in the next serval years. I am looking forward to the new smashing pumpkins album. I want to see them on tour again. I saw them back when meloncollie and the infinite sadness tour was on. They were awsome.

So what good grunge style bands have came out recently that rock? Let me know so I can check them out. Maybe I missed some of them.
    Pumpkin's album is going to own.. I hear James is in studio with them too... And I believe it.. if James wasn't in the band I think Corgan would make a blog or something saying "Fuck james".

"Make our day"