Temple of the Dog vs. Mad Season

jubilairesjljubilairesjl Posts: 497
edited September 2006 in Other Music
Which one is your favorite? Why? I really like both of these supergroups, but there is just something about Layne Staley's voice and his lyrics on Above are just so beauftiful.What are your thoughts?
Noblesville 6/22/2003 St. Louis 5/4/2010 East Troy 9/4/2011
Cleveland 5/20/2006 Columbus 5/6/2010 Chicago 7/19/2013
Cincinnatti 6/24/2006 Noblesville 5/7/2010. Buffalo 10/12/2013
Lollapalooza 8/5/2007 Mountain View 10/23/2010 Cincinnatti 10/1/2014
Washington D.C. 6/22/2008 Mountain View 10/24/2010 St. Louis 10/3/2014
Chicago 8/22/2008(EV Solo) St. Louis 7/1/2011 (EV Solo) St. Paul 10/19/2014
Kansas City 5/3/2010 East Troy 9/3/2011 Milwaukee 10/20/2014
Hampton 4/18/2016 Columbia 4/21/2016 Lexington 4/26/2016
NYC 5/2/2016
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Man, what a hard comparison. I'd say Mad Season by a hair.
  • both great bands, but I´ll take Temple of the Dog
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • I've been thinking about this for awhile and I can't decide. I love both bands for different reasons so I can't pick one or the other.
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done
  • TOTD hands down. Mad season is still in my top ten though.
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Both are great, so I will not choice the best.
  • Temple Of The Dog just because Chris' vocals on that album can give me goosebumps. Best he's ever sounded on record.
  • I love both albums but would pick Temple of The Dog over Mad Season because of Cornell.
  • I say TOTD definitely. They had better songs. I like Mad Season, but I didn't really connect with the music.
    "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" - The Young Ones
  • mad season.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • well i guess im the odd man out but im going to have to say mad season, easily. seeing how totd has like 2-3 songs i can stand.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Best Single song: Hunger Strike
    Best Total Effort: Mad Season

This question will come down to whether someone prefers Layne or Chris on the mic, mostly. :)
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Oh man this is hard.... But I'm going to go with Mad Season (don't hate me .;)
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I prefer TOTD. Just my 2 cents.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    I would take Mad Season..........but not by much. TOTD is really amazing
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • TOTD, the songwriting is just fantastic on this album. i do like Mad Season, but there are just some bits on that album that dont quite do it for me.

oh and Chris's voice on TOTD is absolutally perfect.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • CageyCagey Posts: 220
    Mad Season, Above is just such a cool album, I know I listen to it alot more than TOTD, so gotta say them.

Just as I wish Eddie had done more vocals with TOTD, I wish Langean had done more with MS though.
    All my favourite singers have stolen all of my best lines.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    for me temple is totally superior
  • selfself Posts: 64
    I'm going to say Mad Season purely because I think the album flows better.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I love both albums but would pick Temple of The Dog over Mad Season because of Cornell.

haha, i pick mad season over temple of the dog because of cornell ;) layne owns cornell in the vocals department.
  • haha, i pick mad season over temple of the dog because of cornell ;) layne owns cornell in the vocals department.

maybe you preferred his voice, which is totally down to personal taste, but nowhere in his entire career did Layne match Cornell's power or range on Temple of the dog. Still an amazing singer though.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    maybe you preferred his voice, which is totally down to personal taste, but nowhere in his entire career did Layne match Cornell's power or range on Temple of the dog. Still an amazing singer though.

i dont know what the fuck range means and power is just as debatable in terms of personal taste. i know chris cornell screeches like the chick from sleater-kinney anytime he screams or goes for a high note and i dont like that, though i will admit that he sounds better on temple of the dog (at least say hello to heaven and hungerstrike) than any other time ive heard him. i also know layne has more pain and emotion in his weakest performance than cornell in his finest. layne's voice haunts me. cornell's annoys me, or at best, bores me.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Mad season because Layne's voice never really sounded so beautiful as on this album. His performance on Wake up is unbelievable and River of deceit is just amazing.

Temple of the Dog is outstanding too though.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Mad season because Layne's voice never really sounded so beautiful as on this album. His performance on Wake up is unbelievable and River of deceit is just amazing.

totally agree with you on Layne's voice,jeremy...but this thread just isnt fair..cuz i love them both equally....R.I.P. Andrew Wood and R.I.P. Layne Staley
    ...It's only after disaster that we can be resurrected...
    it's only after you've lost everything ...that you are free to do anything....(Fight Club)

... I'll ride the wave...where it takes me....
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

It's a masterpiece of smooth, Blues rock ;)

Wake up is great, Long gone day, with Lanegan, is sheer class, 2 very different vocal styles blending gracefully, a beautiful, nostalgic, soulful blues ballad,
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Cagey wrote:
    It's a masterpiece of smooth, Blues rock ;)

Wake up is great, Long gone day, with Lanegan, is sheer class, 2 very different vocal styles blending gracefully, a beautiful, nostalgic, soulful blues ballad,
    you can't help thinking how much Layne owns Mark on those songs though. I'd love to hear a version of long gone day with layne on all the vocals. The two voices work amazingly on I'm above though.

I just think when Wake Up gets heavy, when Layne sings "For little peace from god you plead" it is mindblowing. the best vocals of his career.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    you can't help thinking how much Layne owns Mark on those songs though. I'd love to hear a version of long gone day with layne on all the vocals. The two voices work amazingly on I'm above though.

I just think when Wake Up gets heavy, when Layne sings "For little peace from god you plead" it is mindblowing. the best vocals of his career.

Not at all, they're very different singers, Layne couldn't do the lows Mark can, and Lanegan would never reach Layne's highs, both brilliant in my book. Long gone day only works so well because of the contrasting vocals, so, no, it'd be a very different song with just Layne.

You're right about the end of Wake up though, I love the way it builds up.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Wake up is truly a masterpiece. I'll be honest, I cried the first time I heard it and I listened to the song like 10 times in a row, because it was so beautiful. I know the song is about Laynes battle with Heroin addiction, but to me the song also made me take a look at my life in general. You see, unfortunatley there are several people who were very mean to me growing up, and so the song took on a personal meaning to me. The way people treat others really does affect them in ways some people will never understand. I know what I said has nothing to do with the lyrics, or Laynes meaning of the song... but to me it was a song telling me, make changes to your life, quit being a wuss, and get away from these fake friends, and start over. The music (specifically the bass, and McCready's solo) is mindblowing. It took me to another world. This is hands down, the greatest song Layne ever sang in my eyes. I'm suprised it was never played on the radio, for more people to hear. The album is just so well done, all the vocals/ and collaboration of styles blues and rock worked so well on this record. Hearing Mark and Layne sing together blended really well together if you ask me.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    Mad Season...

damn, difficult question.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • temple of the dog definitley
    im awesome
  • Temple of the Dog for me...

Don't get me wrong, I completely LOVE Mad Season, but it loses me in the middle for some reason - I just don't dig Artificial Red and Lifeless Dead as much as the rest of the album... That said, Wake Up, River of Deceit, Long Gone Day and All Alone are some of my favourite songs EVER.

On the other hand, TotD keeps me rapt for the entire album, and the inevitable repeat listen. From the bittersweet Say Hello To Heaven thru to the incredibly minimalistic, gorgeous All Night Thing, I just can't get enough of it... And McCready's solos on Say Hello 2 Heaven and Call Me A Dog blow anything he does on Above away, imo (bar November Hotel).

Then again, I'm eternally grateful for the fact that I will never have to actually choose between them. I don't think any 2 CDs have ever stored so much beauty, anguish and pure musicianship between them.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.