Blackholes and Revelations!!!

2»

Comments

• SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Lasers, lights, videos (marching robots!), fireworks, balloons, glitter ... and you want banter with the crowd too :rolleyes:
    .. no pleasing some people ;)

It see what your saying. But the all the effects and such is no substitute for some crowd interaction. Watching Muse (and 95% of bands) is like going to see a film at the cinema - Bands like Pearl Jam, The Tragically Hip and The Who is more like going to the Theatre, I just feel they are more personal to there audience on the night.

Anyway I love all 4 muse studio albums so i'm not going to hit on them to hard. ;)
  • What can I say, I kinda got bored with Muse. My original forum name was Mike_Muse_Rage 3 or so years ago and I like to keep it the same for other forums. The band have been a great influence on me but musically I don't find anything particularly exciting in their live shows. I couldn't give a shit how much running around they do or how much their lights cost. They just play the songs by the book, and ever since hearing Jeff Buckley, Thom Yorke and Tom Morello, Matt Bellamy kinda annoys me. But hey this is just my opinion, all my friends love them but I find them rather average these days.
  • HotterHotter Posts: 51
    I just saw them at Roskilde....it was a great show :cool:
    PJ....'nuff said
    ============
    Katowice '07
    Wembley '07
    Copenhagen '07
    MSG I '08
    MSG II '08
    Berlin ´09
  • duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    origin of symmetry
    showbiz
    absolution
    blackholes and revelations
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • StereotypeStereotype Posts: 885
    I love 'em! They are great live! They are very different from Pearl Jam - not so much interaction with the crowd, very different vibe etc..but they play fenomenal! The way Matt plays piano AND guitar AND he sings...hands down.
    I'm very happy that a band like that exist. It's something different and they gave me hope...Pearl Jam aside..there were some years when I felt music just went wrong..
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022 

• (UK)_foxymop(UK)_foxymop Posts: 234
    Not true...Showbiz was released in the States on Maverick back in 1999...

OOS was re-released in the States after absoultion.

Don't forget Hullabaloo...sweet B-sides and a live show from Paris.
    Didn't know that .. I'll slap myself for being wrong ;):D

Hullabaloo .. I used to play the Paris show quite alot, haven't listened to it for ages though. I love "Shrinking Universe" on disc one, one of my favourites .. that scream (?) Matt builds up to is fab :D .. he does a similar thing at the end of New Born when singing live.. goosebumps!

I'll see if I can find a link for anyone who hasn't heard the song. (It was used for the "28 weeks later" movie trailer too :D)
    ♥ ♪ ♪
  • (UK)_foxymop(UK)_foxymop Posts: 234
    I'll see if I can find a link for anyone who hasn't heard the song. (It was used for the "28 weeks later" movie trailer too :D)
    Melodic screaming :D

Shrinking Universe "Scream" begins around 2.05 but the song deserves to be heard all the way through ;)

and in New Born (live) around 9.25

totally :cool:
    ♥ ♪ ♪

• Where were you sat?.. I got tickets in the presale and was seated up front, just 2 rows off the floor. Brilliant view and sound. Everyone was a huge Muse fan and went nuts, jumping, singing, dancing.. Very friendly too, and a big age range .. right from young teenagers to the couple of old guys sat along from me. We had a fantastic night. I've heard a few people say it wasn't great from the really high seats and from the back though .. too far away. but that's not Muse's fault that's just the venue. Wembley is HUGE .. feels alot bigger than the old stadium. (is it ??)

Like you say, Monaco should be better. Smaller venue .. I'm very envious!! I'd love to see them again but no funds left, and they're leaving Europe soon :(

Summary .. IF YOU DON'T OWN THIS ALBUM .. BUY IT NOW! C

I was to the left of the scene (if you were in front of it) and quite high up, in fact the sound was not so good. I've seen them 4 times now and I still haven't heard the one that goes "and it scares the hell out of me...and the end is all I can see...", it's like my favourite (even if I can't remember the title)!
    Talking about Monaco they were good but I dont know, they came, they sang and left! Plus (and you will not believe this) alcohol was banned in the whole of the area of the stadium...I'm not saying that you should get wasted at a gig, but jeeezzz.....what's wrong with a few beers! Especially given the fact that you can drive with no seat belt in this country I don't see the danger in drinking a few beers at a rock concert! Needless to say that the atmosphere was not the best you could get!
    If I have to be honest, I think that after having seen the band we are all here for It'll be hard to feel the same at another gig...but that's just me!
    "Come on people now, smile on your brother and everybody get together, try to love one another right now!!!!"
    "You my friend, I will defend and if we change, well I love you anyway"
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine, I AM MINE"
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    As someone has written down:

Muse live is 2nd only to Pearl Jam right now.
    (Green Day and U2 in 2005 were close third/fourth IMHO)

I love all their albums (they are have very strong and powerful melodies and sound!) but if I should pick only one it would be Origin Of Symmetry of course!!!

I've seen them during O.O.S. tour in Budapest 2002 at the front row(!!!)
    Last year in Vienna and in October they return to Bp. again!!! Definitely the highlight of the autumn for me!!!

My only problem with Muse concerts after a series of PJ shows: Muse have very similar and short sets every night! :( grrrr, always the same problem approximately 90 minutes - it's not a PJ standard!!!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • Since the last time I posted in this thread, I have picked up all of the Muse that I can find - all studio albums, a couple bootslegs, a few singles and EPs here and there - and they are the one of the best bands out there. Showbiz is my favorite older album, but BH&R is still at the top of my list. Muse is definitely my favorite "new" find of the last couple of years...

I'm going to ACL this weekend, and was really bummed when I saw that the White Stripes cancelled, until I realised that Muse were moved into the headline spot for Saturday! Can't wait for this, especially since I missed them at ACL last year when I wasn't familiar with Muse at all. I'm also kicking myself for not getting tix to at least one of their Wembley shows last June. For fucks sake, I was in London to see PJ, I should have put up some cash and got some tickets. Anyway, I can't wait to see them live on Saturday night!!!!
  • muse is the fucking worst band in the world
    and more I won't say
    I don't want to be the fool that's behind me but I am...

I'll Hold The Pain... Release...

Yourself
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Arctangent wrote:
    why would a band not talking to the audience make them a bad live act? two of the best live acts i have ever seen, tool and neurosis, didn't say a word to the audience all night. didn't stop them being fantastic live. muse have songs good enough to make their live shows amazing whether they talk to the audience or not.

becos if there's no spontaneity or personality, why shell out $50 to go to the show when you can just play the album loud at home?
    Soupy wrote:
    Oddly I think Muse are a better studio band than live act.

Saw them live at Wembley Arena (not stadium) last year and was slightly disapointed, they played well but really Matt probably muttered about 10 words alnight and all the songs played were nearly Idenical to there album counterparts. Sure there were lots of effects (fireworks, lights, balloons) but more crowd interaction and some reworking of the songs would have been better (like Pearl Jam and The Tragically Hip do).

i dont know if id go so far as to say they're better in studio, but i was underwhelmed by their lolla set. the songs were note for note off the album and nobody in the band had any personality. the singer didnt say a word. twice the dummer said "thanks" and that was it. it felt as personal and intimate as watching a tv show.

that said, black holes is still a fucking amazing album.
  • becos if there's no spontaneity or personality, why shell out $50 to go to the show when you can just play the album loud at home?

That's not true at all, they are 100% times better live...those that don't see/hear it have no soul. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
    That's not true at all, they are 100% times better live...those that don't see/hear it have no soul. ;)

i didn't say they weren't good or i didnt enjoy it. just saying that connecting with the crowd CAN be a very important part of the live show. they got up there and played well... but it was note for note off the album. no improv, no unscripted moments. they were professional and damned good. but it lacked spontaneity which is something i like in a live show... cos i have a soul and im not a robot ;)
  • I love Muse. Their music effects me so much, especially live. I don't really care that much for what lights or visuals they have, I always think that stuff is more for the fans who aren't near the stage at a large show or festival setting. I would love to see them in a small venue, don't think that is happening anytime soon. =/

Muse have never been that talkative live. It's interesting about the comment about the band not talking much at their Wembley Stadium shows, because from an interview with Matt Bellamy, he said because the audience was so far away, he felt the need to talk more to connect. So, I guess from his view, he thought he was being talkative haha

About BHandR, I'm on a "Take A Bow" kick right now, I like the way it keeps building. "Knights of Cydonia" is so much fun live, I definitely prefer it over the cd version. I am still wishing to hear "Assassin" live, Grand Omega Boss edit of course. Their music can go in so many different directions and I love that.

jdub3001, have fun at ACL! I wanted to be there, but couldn't make it.
    I do hope Meg will be okay.
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Romanza wrote:
    MUSE IS THE SHIT!

Holy crap. I knew this album was good but it went on the backburner for the last year.

Just pulled it out again tonight.

How awesome is "Exo-Politics" by the way????

Just thought I'd throw it out for some much appreciation!

yeah MUSE is pretty rockin. I saw them at lolla for the first time & they brought the house down. I've been diggin their music for a while but just haddnt seen them before. Everyone should check em out if given the chance!!!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • i didn't say they weren't good or i didnt enjoy it. just saying that connecting with the crowd CAN be a very important part of the live show. they got up there and played well... but it was note for note off the album. no improv, no unscripted moments. they were professional and damned good. but it lacked spontaneity which is something i like in a live show... cos i have a soul and im not a robot ;)

You need to see them more than once and get over this 'talking to the crowd' hang up you have ;)

I'm glad they don't say too much .. I get totally swept along by the music and visuals, so for me it would ruin the flow of the show. Matt has said he should work on his banter but he'd probably just say somethig stupid:D So the occasional 'off the cuff' remark is fine .. rather that than the scripted rapport some bands use, same jokes and comments every time you see them!:rolleyes:

Muse are energetic to watch too .. a band that just stand over their mics trying to look cool bores me, you want to see a band enjoying their music as much as you are (side note .. I loved watching Mike and Jeff at Wembley :D)

Not sure I agree with your "note for note off the album" .. they don't change songs noticeably but they definitely sound different live. They have a much more energetic, raw quality. ALL the songs on Black Holes & Revelations sound better live (plus New Born & Plug in Baby, always amazing!) At Lollapalooza there was longer pauses between songs than normal because they had problems with their monitors .. they could only hear the guitars and Matt's vocals which may be a reason for playing more stictly to the album (??) They usually do plenty of riffs to connect songs too and have been known to improv (especially Matt with the piano)
    ♥ ♪ ♪
  • i don't agree with the nore for note thing either... when i saw them last november they were altering and improvising the songs and especially the solos. citizen erased in particular i recall being pretty different.

and a band doesn't need to speak to the audience to connect, although when i saw them muse did speak to the audience, although not matt. just about the best live band at the moment are tool and maynard hardly speaks to the audience. doesn't stop the music connecting with the audience.
  • In my humble opinion......

Muse are shit.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • When I saw Muse at the Forum they jammed on at least 2 songs including a 7 minute version of Stolkholm Syndrome that was EPIC.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • In my humble opinion......

Muse are shit.

I'll correct your spelling error

Muse are hits

... easy mistake, but don't let it happen again ;)
    ♥ ♪ ♪
  • When I saw Muse at the Forum they jammed on at least 2 songs including a 7 minute version of Stolkholm Syndrome that was EPIC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1i8rnNPSTU

:cool: :cool:
    ♥ ♪ ♪
    Muse got big by their legendary performances of the last 7 years - mostly without fuckin' MTV. That makes them more fantastic!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    You need to see them more than once and get over this 'talking to the crowd' hang up you have ;)

I'm glad they don't say too much .. I get totally swept along by the music and visuals, so for me it would ruin the flow of the show. Matt has said he should work on his banter but he'd probably just say somethig stupid:D So the occasional 'off the cuff' remark is fine .. rather that than the scripted rapport some bands use, same jokes and comments every time you see them!:rolleyes:

Muse are energetic to watch too .. a band that just stand over their mics trying to look cool bores me, you want to see a band enjoying their music as much as you are (side note .. I loved watching Mike and Jeff at Wembley :D)

Not sure I agree with your "note for note off the album" .. they don't change songs noticeably but they definitely sound different live. They have a much more energetic, raw quality. ALL the songs on Black Holes & Revelations sound better live (plus New Born & Plug in Baby, always amazing!) At Lollapalooza there was longer pauses between songs than normal because they had problems with their monitors .. they could only hear the guitars and Matt's vocals which may be a reason for playing more stictly to the album (??) They usually do plenty of riffs to connect songs too and have been known to improv (especially Matt with the piano)

it's not just talking to the crowd per se... like you said, i don't like the scripting. if it's the same tired banter night to night... that's bad. if it's the same silence and the same songs in the same order note for note... also bad. perhaps their tech issues at lolla did stifle any spontaneity, but i didn't notice any differences from live to album except the volume really. id definitely go see them again and give them another shot, just saying their lolla set wasn't quite as cool as id been hoping (i was more excited for muse that weekend than pearl jam!)
    (i was more excited for muse that weekend than pearl jam!)

...now I see where the problem is;)
  • id definitely go see them again and give them another shot, just saying their lolla set wasn't quite as cool as id been hoping (i was more excited for muse that weekend than pearl jam!)
    I like you now :D

It's sometimes the way .. you look forward to seeing a band so much they just can't live up to expectation. Then others you're not expecting to like can sometimes really surprise (*cough*My Chemical Romance*cough*;))
    ♥ ♪ ♪
  • Muse are amazing. I saw them at Reading last year. They gotta be the best band in the world right now.