Blackholes and Revelations!!!

RomanzaRomanza Posts: 115
edited September 2007 in Other Music
MUSE IS THE SHIT!

Holy crap. I knew this album was good but it went on the backburner for the last year.

Just pulled it out again tonight.

How awesome is "Exo-Politics" by the way????

Just thought I'd throw it out for some much appreciation!

"This feeling is wonderful...don't you ever turn it off."
-JJ
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    I agree, I was never really into Muse too much, but I gave that album quite a few listens and must say it has some great monents
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    'map of the problematique' holy shit

i really hope they play that song at Lolla
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    Muse is one of the best bands out there right now.
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • (UK)_foxymop(UK)_foxymop Posts: 234
    For anyone going to Lolapallooza .. Forget Interpol .. GO SEE MUSE !!

They put on an absolutely stunning live show ..

WEMBLEY STADIUM LAST MONTH (Short clip of 'Knights of Cydonia') .. I was there - brilliant, fantastic, totally special !! :)

and

LIVE AT GLASTONBURY (Hysteria followed by New Born)

:cool:
    ♥ ♪ ♪
  • BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    I agree, they put on an amazing show. Knights of Cydonia is an amazing live song.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,358
    Muse live is 2nd only to Pearl Jam right now.
    hippiemom = goodness
    Muse live is 2nd only to Pearl Jam right now.
    Definitely my two favourite bands right now .. They're so different though, musically and visually, you can't really compare. I like that :)

I got to see them both 2 days apart .. unbelievable luck both bands were in London the same weekend :D:D
    ♥ ♪ ♪
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    im so stoked for their set at lolla. im not all that huge on absolution, but black holes is an incredible album.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    This album has definately hooked me. They are one of the few decent bands playing at San Diego Street Scene, but were enough to get me to buy a ticket.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Origin Of Symmetry is still their best. Black Holes & Revelations is definitely an improvement on Absolution though.
    out of interest ..

what Muse songs are getting played on the radio in the States/Canada?.. and how often?..
    ♥ ♪ ♪
  • I like the first half of the album. The last half is either boring or just plain ridiculous (Knights of Cydonia). I mean I know Matt Belamy likes his epic music, but stampeding horse hooves? Come on... towards the end it starts to sound like a bad Queen rip-off, like they were trying to write their own Bohemian Rhapsody.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    I like the first half of the album. The last half is either boring or just plain ridiculous (Knights of Cydonia). I mean I know Matt Belamy likes his epic music, but stampeding horse hooves? Come on... towards the end it starts to sound like a bad Queen rip-off, like they were trying to write their own Bohemian Rhapsody.
    Typical reaction of a person who hasn't seen them perform live .. ??? (Just a guess ;))

They're much rockier and raw and have such a big sound for a 3 (sometimes 4) piece, heavy bass and powerful lead guitar... & bags of energy! Knights of Cydonia works so well live... it was their opening song at Wembley stadium and the whole place errupted, one of those unforgettable moments:D In fact all the songs (I've heard them play) from this album sound better live. I think the album has been slightly overproduced if anything. "Invincible" was probably my least favourite but it's an intense live song that builds and builds. Matt Bellamy CAN sing... and with CD album sales down 30% from last year it's all about live music anyway .. so in that respect Muse hit the spot :)

Muse have been accused of ripping off so many bands now .. Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Queen, even Rachmaninov! :rolleyes: .. don't all bands have influences?.. I don't hear 'rip off', I hear 'influences', to me they're essentially "Muse" with their own distinct sound and way of entertaining (some like it, some don't *shrugs*) :D
    ♥ ♪ ♪
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    Muse is a good band, but this album I really did not like. I mean Knights of Cydonia alone deserves to have its own album, but everything else I really did not like.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Typical reaction of a person who hasn't seen them perform live .. ??? (Just a guess ;))

They're much rockier and raw and have such a big sound for a 3 (sometimes 4) piece, heavy bass and powerful lead guitar... & bags of energy! Knights of Cydonia works so well live... it was their opening song at Wembley stadium and the whole place errupted, one of those unforgettable moments:D In fact all the songs (I've heard them play) from this album sound better live. I think the album has been slightly overproduced if anything. "Invincible" was probably my least favourite but it's an intense live song that builds and builds. Matt Bellamy CAN sing... and with CD album sales down 30% from last year it's all about live music anyway .. so in that respect Muse hit the spot :)

Muse have been accused of ripping off so many bands now .. Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Queen, even Rachmaninov! :rolleyes: .. don't all bands have influences?.. I don't hear 'rip off', I hear 'influences', to me they're essentially "Muse" with their own distinct sound and way of entertaining (some like it, some don't *shrugs*) :D

Yeah, the weird thing is I like all other Muse albums. I don't think they've ripped people off before - the biggest accusation is Radiohead, but they've always been louder than Radiohead.

It's not Muse, it's this album. Yeah you're right, it's overproduced. I have a problem with the idea that you'll like something after you've seen it live. You either like songs or you don't, and to me, this album I just don't like most of.

I quite like Invincible because it reminds me of Absolution, and I loved that album.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    I have a problem with the idea that you'll like something after you've seen it live. You either like songs or you don't, and to me, this album I just don't like most of.
    fair doos :D

Maybe you won't like something more after seeing it live, but I think it can make you appreciate it more.. as with Invincible, for me.

BH&R is quite a change, definitely more ambitious and bombastic than their earlier stuff. But I suppose that's what they wanted to do and took the gamble .. on the whole it's paying off so far. (I bet the Americans will love it! ;)) I find it a nice antidote to all the "regional accent, talkative rock" that's doing the rounds at the moment. I do wonder if in ten years time we'll look back and think "that was a bit cheesy" but for now I'd say it works :D

Origin of Symmetry is still my favourite Muse album though.
    ♥ ♪ ♪
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    Origin Of Symmetry is still their best. Black Holes & Revelations is definitely an improvement on Absolution though.
    Thats the TRUTH!!
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • Brian V.Brian V. Posts: 51
    im so stoked for their set at lolla. im not all that huge on absolution, but black holes is an incredible album.
    Just goes to show how everybody has different tastes. I feel the exact opposite, although there are moments on the new one.
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    Along with PJ and Radiohead they are the best live act I have witnessed,although their material is fairly inferior to the two aforementioned.
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Oddly I think Muse are a better studio band than live act.

Saw them live at Wembley Arena (not stadium) last year and was slightly disapointed, they played well but really Matt probably muttered about 10 words alnight and all the songs played were nearly Idenical to there album counterparts. Sure there were lots of effects (fireworks, lights, balloons) but more crowd interaction and some reworking of the songs would have been better (like Pearl Jam and The Tragically Hip do).
  • Soupy wrote:
    Oddly I think Muse are a better studio band than live act.

Saw them live at Wembley Arena (not stadium) last year and was slightly disapointed, they played well but really Matt probably muttered about 10 words alnight and all the songs played were nearly Idenical to there album counterparts. Sure there were lots of effects (fireworks, lights, balloons) but more crowd interaction and some reworking of the songs would have been better (like Pearl Jam and The Tragically Hip do).
    WOW! Someone who agrees with me. Muse are quite a boring live act. I've seen them three times and they all pale in comparison to the majority of other gigs I've been to.
  • jdub3001jdub3001 Posts: 194
    I finally picked up BH&R last month after hearing rave reviews of Muse for the past year or so, and I think it's really fucking awesome. My first reaction was that they are a "Radiohead with a kick", but I really hate Radiohead, and I think Muse is pretty good, so it's really kinda weird. Anyway, missed them last yeat at ACL, since I wasn't aware of who they were I was probably listening to some other band that I was more familiar with, but I'm not making that same mistake this year. I guess I should go get their earlier albums before seeing them though...
  • RomanzaRomanza Posts: 115
    jdub3001 wrote:
    I guess I should go get their earlier albums before seeing them though...

Uhhhhh...yeah.

Absolution and Origin of Symmetry are amazing too.

"This feeling is wonderful...don't you ever turn it off."
    -JJ
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    why would a band not talking to the audience make them a bad live act? two of the best live acts i have ever seen, tool and neurosis, didn't say a word to the audience all night. didn't stop them being fantastic live. muse have songs good enough to make their live shows amazing whether they talk to the audience or not.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    WOW! Someone who agrees with me. Muse are quite a boring live act. I've seen them three times and they all pale in comparison to the majority of other gigs I've been to.

Wow, I wonder what you actually look for in a live act?!

Last time I saw them live was Reading last year, and they were fucking astounding. Seriously I don' think there is a tighter band on the planet, and the energy they create with their performances goes beyond words. Did you watch the youtube clips someone else posted on the first page? In particular the Hysteria/New Born one from Glastonbury, if not here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYZjp_QRZrY - now if you find that boring, please give me an example of what you find interesting (other than PJ, cause that's a no brainer).

Anyway, I love the album although my favourite will probably always be Origin Of Symmetry.
  • For anyone going to Lolapallooza .. Forget Interpol .. GO SEE MUSE !!

They put on an absolutely stunning live show ..

WEMBLEY STADIUM LAST MONTH (Short clip of 'Knights of Cydonia') .. I was there - brilliant, fantastic, totally special !! :)

and

LIVE AT GLASTONBURY (Hysteria followed by New Born)

:cool:

Hey I was there too and wasn't really impressed, too big a scene! And I was so excited for the night's after gig that I just didn't give it too much importance (and you know whom I am talking about!)!
    But I am seeing them tonight in Monaco, small stadium, fewer people, more friends around...It s going to be good! I saw them 3/4 years ago play for a small crowd (8.000 peep) and they totally rocked!
    But nothing compares to PEARL JAM!!!!!!!!!!
    "Come on people now, smile on your brother and everybody get together, try to love one another right now!!!!"
    "You my friend, I will defend and if we change, well I love you anyway"
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine, I AM MINE"
    Soupy wrote:
    more crowd interaction and some reworking of the songs would have been better
    Lasers, lights, videos (marching robots!), fireworks, balloons, glitter ... and you want banter with the crowd too :rolleyes:
    .. no pleasing some people ;)

I like that they don't talk too much .. it could end up breaking the flow of music and visual effects. Reworking of the songs might come later .. ?.. when they've been around a few more years and things need freshening up, but for now I personally don't want songs messed with.

Mike_Muse_Rage .. strange you should think Muse "a boring live act" (boring!?? :eek: ) when you have Muse in your username??? :D

jdub3001 wrote:
    I guess I should go get their earlier albums before seeing them though...
    Only because all their albums are worth owning and listening to! ... My guess is they'll play mostly stuff from Absolution and Black Holes & Revelations, because their first two albums weren't released in the USA and therefore not so well known (Downloads have probably made a bit of difference though.) Also their first album, Showbiz, sounds quite childish in comparison to this latest album, so maybe they don't feel comfortable playing much from Showbiz anymore. Each album is a progression and shows how they've developed and matured as a band.

Tiziana wrote:
    Hey I was there too and wasn't really impressed, too big a scene! ...
    But I am seeing them tonight in Monaco, small stadium, fewer people, more friends around...It s going to be good!
    Where were you sat?.. I got tickets in the presale and was seated up front, just 2 rows off the floor. Brilliant view and sound. Everyone was a huge Muse fan and went nuts, jumping, singing, dancing.. Very friendly too, and a big age range .. right from young teenagers to the couple of old guys sat along from me. We had a fantastic night. I've heard a few people say it wasn't great from the really high seats and from the back though .. too far away. but that's not Muse's fault that's just the venue. Wembley is HUGE .. feels alot bigger than the old stadium. (is it ??)

Like you say, Monaco should be better. Smaller venue .. I'm very envious!! I'd love to see them again but no funds left, and they're leaving Europe soon :(

Summary .. IF YOU DON'T OWN THIS ALBUM .. BUY IT NOW! C
    ♥ ♪ ♪
  • "Take a Bow" should be retitled "An Open Letter to George W. Bush"

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,358
    Not true...Showbiz was released in the States on Maverick back in 1999...

OOS was re-released in the States after absoultion.

Don't forget Hullabaloo...sweet B-sides and a live show from Paris.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    muse is a worthy band.

origin of symmetry is great
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick