Tori Amos love thread

2»

Comments

• eddies grrleddies grrl Posts: 509
    tybird wrote:
    Love that Tori Amos!!!! Caught her on the Choirgirl Hotel tour......great, great show. But as much as I love Tori, I love the original version better.......KATE BUSH!!!!!

yes, kate bush is another (old) favorite of mine, though i haven't been bowled over by much except her sensual world album. every single song on that album is amazing.
    Life is the riddle
    Of which we're caught in the middle.
    A couple of lucky ones
    Tangled up in too much love
    ~cowboy junkies
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    yes, kate bush is another (old) favorite of mine, though i haven't been bowled over by much except her sensual world album. every single song on that album is amazing.
    Yeah......"The Red Shoes" was a major letdown after waiting a number of years for it actually to hit the stores.........The new one is quite nice, it's no "Hounds of Love", but it will do nicely.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • K*RockK*Rock Posts: 144
    woot woot!

:D

:D

thanks!!!!!!
    no i know im not alone!!!!
    ~Karen

Come say HI on myspace - http://www.myspace.com/pearljamkaren
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Scarlet's Walk is under-rated but nothing tops Little Earthquakes.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    I think she is drop dead gorgeous. The most beautiful woman I can think of. I like her music as well, but not as much as I like her. I just put it on for relaxing or background music.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • manic mindmanic mind Posts: 84
    LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! Tori! I saw her in Columbus, Ohio in 1995. She was amazing! My husband (boyfriend at the time) slept right through most of the show (not because he wasn't into it but because he was messed up on LSD)
    Dumb ass! He missed a great performance! I'd like to see her again.

I have never heard her cover of Black. Anyone have an MP3 of it that they can upload for me?
    Sold to Pearl Jam at birth!
  • del74del74 Posts: 6
    ive seen her so many times!
    not as many as some......
    my tori story is here, along with a pic from scarlet that she signed for my daughter
    http://femvoices.com/mytoristory.html
    my last trip to meet her, when she was signing piece by piece....but careful, theres a pic of my cleavage on there!
    http://femvoices.com/chicagotoritrip.html
    these are......magic....the gathering cards!!!!!!

venture brothers
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    there's a live video of Tori and Maynard James Keenan doing Muhammed my friend on youtube.com

needless to say its amazing. I love Maynard, everything he touches turns to gold.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    there's a live video of Tori and Maynard James Keenan doing Muhammed my friend on youtube.com

needless to say its amazing. I love Maynard, everything he touches turns to gold.

that was from the live in new york video that she put out right after she had a miscarriage:)

venture brothers
  • bladworth116bladworth116 Posts: 344
    Tori & Michael Stipe used to be loves just fyi
    ummmm, no they didnt, they just recorded a song.
    and trent and tori were never an item either
    Tori & Michael Stipe used to be loves just fyi

venture brothers
    del74 wrote:
    ummmm, no they didnt, they just recorded a song.
    and trent and tori were never an item either

i was thinking the exact same thing...
    same with Tori and Maynard from Tool, they just did that live version of Mohammed My Friend
    ~Karen

• UlalumeUlalume Posts: 48
    Tori Amos is one of my fave singers. She's just so awesome! Great voice.
    How dark a woe! yet how sublime a hope!
    How silently serene a sea of pride!
    How daring an ambition! yet how deep--
    How fathomless a capacity for love!
  • krymsinkrymsin Posts: 75
    ... some love for Tori on here. My wife turned me on to her. She adores Tori; i'm a PJ fanatic. We mesh just fine.

One of her songs (can't recall which one) refers to an "angry snatch." I joke with my wife that is why i can't get into her as much as PJ, but as far as lyrics go, hers are among the best. They rival Ed's, in my opinion, and that's saying a lot.

"Scarlet's Walk" is an excellent starter record for anyone wondering about her music, as is her greatest hits ("Tales of a Librarian"). Granted, "Scarlet's Walk" it's the most sonically-friendly, i think, which is why i love it, but her debut ("Little Earthquakes") is excellent, too. Sooo many good songs on both those albums. And, like PJ, none of her shows are the same -- she makes up the setlist before the show, and who knows whether she'll stick to it. I've seen her three times; everyone was intense.

I'd love to see her hook up with Ed and/or the band for a collaboration, but that may be too awesome for anyone to take.

And as for her version of "Black," i've yet to hear it, but i understood she did it live for her brother, who died. He was a major PJ fan.
    If you hate something,
    Don't you do it, too.
  • eddies grrleddies grrl Posts: 509
    my affection for tori's music is ever-evolving, and sometimes i love certain albums more than others (like some other band i know...). i can recall a time when Under the Pink seemed like the weirdest album EVER, now i think it's brilliant. and probably right now i am most attached to At the Choirgirl Hotel. "Spark" is the song about her miscarriage (she's said the whole album was informed by that experience, and i can see that, having experienced it myself).

i know there's a reason that i am drawn to both tori and pearl jam. there are many similarities- emotionally- for me, while their music certainly doesn't sound all that similar. but smart lyrics set to compelling music is what draws me to both, plus the weird little background stories and their quirky personalities, i guess. it's funny, i think if they were't super-famous artists they'd be people i'd most likely choose as friends. :) them, plus patty griffin, and i'm happy!
    Life is the riddle
    Of which we're caught in the middle.
    A couple of lucky ones
    Tangled up in too much love
    ~cowboy junkies
  • Tori love. Tori love. Tori love.
  • Much love here. luv her.
    No need to be void,.. or save up on life,...
    Got to spend it all,.....

"Those who dance are called insane by those who don't hear the music." EV

1-14-95, 9-04-00, 7-01-03, 5-30-06, 10-21-06, 10-22-06, 6-17-08, 6-22-08, 8-16-08 E.V., 6-15-09 E.V., 10-28-09, 5-13-10.
    my affection for tori's music is ever-evolving, and sometimes i love certain albums more than others (like some other band i know...). i can recall a time when Under the Pink seemed like the weirdest album EVER, now i think it's brilliant. and probably right now i am most attached to At the Choirgirl Hotel. "Spark" is the song about her miscarriage (she's said the whole album was informed by that experience, and i can see that, having experienced it myself).

i know there's a reason that i am drawn to both tori and pearl jam. there are many similarities- emotionally- for me, while their music certainly doesn't sound all that similar. but smart lyrics set to compelling music is what draws me to both, plus the weird little background stories and their quirky personalities, i guess. it's funny, i think if they were't super-famous artists they'd be people i'd most likely choose as friends. :) them, plus patty griffin, and i'm happy!

i totally agree with you about the similarities in their lyrics, and i think it totally comes from the kind of open, loving and honest people they are, who are also not afraid to speak their minds .. my best friend is a huge tori fan and she got me into her the same way that i got her into PJ and whenever we go out we always end up talking about how similar they are and how much they rock! hehe
    i could go on and on but i wont hehe!
    :)
    ~Karen