John Mayer Trio - Try

chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
edited October 2006 in Other Music
Got my hands on this album last night, been listening to it all day. It's really, really good. Completely different from his pop stuff, this is pretty much all blues. Some covers, some originals, some reworks. Track #7 "Another Kind of Green" is awesome.

Comes out in stores on Tuesday. I'd highly recommend it.

*the chimp*
"This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    chimpat wrote:
    Got my hands on this album last night, been listening to it all day. It's really, really good. Completely different from his pop stuff, this is pretty much all blues. Some covers, some originals, some reworks. Track #7 "Another Kind of Green" is awesome.

*the chimp*

I guess so....you know him!!!!! i'm looking forward to it....although i like his 2 cds, i knew he would evolve.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • i'm getting that sumbitch tuesday...can't wait!
  • An excellent album... An amazing guitar player, this is the kind of music that I always hoped that he could make.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • An excellent album... An amazing guitar player, this is the kind of music that I always hoped that he could make.
    going to pick it up in a few minutes!!!
  • chimpat wrote:

*the chimp*

mind letting me know how you "got your hands" on it? :) hit me up with a PM if so.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • don't write him off.

John Mayer is fucking terrific.

he's so far past the crap-pop stuff he used to do..

give it a listen :)

BLUES!
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    chimpat wrote:

*the chimp*

yo monkey boy....king kong is out today as well........
  • i've been thinking about buying this album. it seems like the kind of thing i would enjoy and not the crappy love song shit he constantly puts out. i must say though, that just because he puts out one bluesy live album doesn't mean he's done writing the poppy shit. he knows where the money's at
  • BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    i've been thinking about buying this album. it seems like the kind of thing i would enjoy and not the crappy love song shit he constantly puts out. i must say though, that just because he puts out one bluesy live album doesn't mean he's done writing the poppy shit. he knows where the money's at

pass. it's crapola!
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • John Mayer is amazing.

I like his two solo albums and The JM3 are amazing.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • listening to it now. been listening to a lot of the bootlegs from his fall shows for a several weeks now. jm3 is really cool. very different from the john mayer most folks know or heard on the vh1, which is a good thing...

and i would think the teenie boppers will not like it...
    I miss you hippiemom.

he could always make it - i was just hoping, after seeing him live, that he would make it - put it out - and stand behind it!
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I just got back from seeing them at the Bowery Ballroom and it was just fucking amazing. I saw him last year when he toured supporting Heavier Things and this was just so much better. Small intimate venue. I was up close and able to witness first hand the genius that is his guitar playing. I think he's definitely underrated as a guitarist, mostly due to his previous pop efforts. I'm glad he's taking this turn and evolving into a more bluesy rock artist. Who Did You Think I Was is simply an amazing song, great lyrics about his transformation too. Pick up the album, but check them out live, as the album doesn't do them justice!
  • i just saw the aol webcast........it was pretty fuckin impressive. his guitar playing is underrated to a degree. he is a very mature musician for someone so young. it's very evident that he has been listening to/playing with rock and blues legends. and steve jordan is very solid on drums

i'll probably put the album on my christmas list or something
    i just saw the aol webcast........it was pretty fuckin impressive. his guitar playing is underrated to a degree. he is a very mature musician for someone so young. it's very evident that he has been listening to/playing with rock and blues legends. and steve jordan is very solid on drums

i'll probably put the album on my christmas list or something

Cool, how did the webcast look? It was kind of odd to be at a show with a bunch of huge cameras and a crane in the venue. And they had to leave the lights on for the whole show. Odd, but still a great show.
  • I saw him on the Eric Clapton guitar weekend dvd.Damn,(JM) can play.
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • moster78 wrote:
    Cool, how did the webcast look? It was kind of odd to be at a show with a bunch of huge cameras and a crane in the venue. And they had to leave the lights on for the whole show. Odd, but still a great show.

umm...it looked really good. nice view of the stage. they spent a lot of time focusing on the drummer which i enjoyed. and they didn't turn the cameras away from john during his solos which was a relief. they also did some close-ups on the audience and a lot of people were dancing and singing along which i'm sure you witnessed

like i said before, it was an impressive show and gave me faith in the cd which i'll probably get in the near future
    umm...it looked really good. nice view of the stage. they spent a lot of time focusing on the drummer which i enjoyed. and they didn't turn the cameras away from john during his solos which was a relief. they also did some close-ups on the audience and a lot of people were dancing and singing along which i'm sure you witnessed

like i said before, it was an impressive show and gave me faith in the cd which i'll probably get in the near future

I checked after my last post and the show is still up at AOLMusic.com for streaming. I even spotted myself in the audience once!

http://music.aol.com/network_live/concert_videos/john_mayer_trio/ondemand
  • I had tickets to that too but unfortunately I was unable to make it, watched the webcast though, f'n amazing. I'm so upset I couldn't make it in
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
    chimpat knew john mayer back in connecticut

i can't remember but he told me before, not sure if they went to school together or what
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • on a related note, i've decided to buy his signature fender stratocaster (1399$ !).

its fucking GORGEOUS.

42 dollars a month.. i can do that.. so despite only having 60 in my pocket i'm going to order it :)

"Make our day"
    on a related note, i've decided to buy his signature fender stratocaster (1399$ !).

its fucking GORGEOUS.

42 dollars a month.. i can do that.. so despite only having 60 in my pocket i'm going to order it :)

That is a nice Strat. I was tempted to get that, but went for an American Standard instead.
  • 42 a month hmmm where at?
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
  • 42 a month hmmm where at?
    Musician's Friend.

But i'm not sure on the rest of the payment.. its a bit of a tricky situation.. i'm going to call the magazine and ask about it to make sure everything is as it seems.

if the payments are going to shoot up to 120 a month or something then i won't do it.

gotta be careful and a guitar teacher's salary ;)

"Make our day"
    Musician's Friend.

But i'm not sure on the rest of the payment.. its a bit of a tricky situation.. i'm going to call the magazine and ask about it to make sure everything is as it seems.

if the payments are going to shoot up to 120 a month or something then i won't do it.

gotta be careful and a guitar teacher's salary ;)

You'll have to let us know how it is when you get it. What color you going for?
  • moster78 wrote:
    You'll have to let us know how it is when you get it. What color you going for?
    the fucking beautiful dark sunburst (not sure about their name for it) that the magazine shows.

gorgeous :)

i'll dig this thread up when i find out more info so keep an eye out.

"Make our day"
    When I read that JM was influenced by stevie ray vaughan, i knew we'd eventually hear a different kind of music from him.

Once he switches over to all blues/rock, he'll lose his teeny bopper fans and we'll be able to see him at small venues in about 5 yrs.

:D

I saw him at nissan pavillion (bristow, va) with the counting crows in 2004. he was good but the show was short. It took us hours to get out of the parking lot.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    the fucking beautiful dark sunburst (not sure about their name for it) that the magazine shows.

gorgeous :)

i'll dig this thread up when i find out more info so keep an eye out.

Nice. I got my Strat in 3 color sunburst too, rosewood fretboard. Throw your thoughts up in the musician and gearhead forum when you get it!
  • moster78 wrote:
    Nice. I got my Strat in 3 color sunburst too, rosewood fretboard. Throw your thoughts up in the musician and gearhead forum when you get it!
    of course :)

and catsssss i know what you mean.

i'm excited about John's future! :D

he did a beautiful acoustic cover of Radiohead's Kid A (the song) too. just throwing that in there

"Make our day"
    (now....for eric clapton to invite JM to participate in a concert, he's got to be great....)

for christmas, i wanted to buy a concert dvd for my brother in law (who plays guitar) and i searched on eric clapton...look who else is on this dvd. i forgot the name of it, maybe Eric Clapton Crossroads:

Movie Description
    Numerous guitar legends gathered together in June of 2004 at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Texas, to play a benefit show for Eric Clapton's Crossroads Center, a nonprofit addiction treatment facility in Antigua. Offering a stunning array of legendary acts, the talent assembled for the show was a music lover's dream come true, and this document of the event allows those who weren't there to experience the magic. Including performances by BB King, James Taylor, Carlos Santana, Joe Walsh, Jimmie Vaughn, John Mayer, Robert Cray, and Clapton himself, among many others.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more