Matthew Good - Hospital Music

chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
edited August 2007 in Other Music
I know there's some Matthew Good fans on the board and I just wanted to let you know that Matt put up a b-side to his new album on his myspace page. This song is amazing, if it's a b-side, the album is going to be incredible.

http://www.myspace.com/hospitalfacilities
"This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Thanks a lot for posting this, I really enjoy his music!
    "Those who dance are called insane by those who don't hear the music." -E.V.
  • illfatedillfated Posts: 65
    Everything he does is pretty good. Great canadian. But he is quite the A-Hole, trust me.
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Matthew Good is one of Canadas best. Behind The Tragically Hip and Neil young. Some says he's an asshole dunno myself, but hes a great song writer.
  • rockpantsrockpants Posts: 838
    illfated wrote:
    Everything he does is pretty good. Great canadian. But he is quite the A-Hole, trust me.

Oh, really? And what exactly are you basing that on? A radio interview, a one-chance meeting after a gig in the middle of an exhausting tour, a story someone else told you who heard it from someone else's girlfriend's brother's former roomate's best friend's cousin?

Unless you actually know the man, kindly cram it.
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    rockpants wrote:
    Oh, really? And what exactly are you basing that on? A radio interview, a one-chance meeting after a gig in the middle of an exhausting tour, a story someone else told you who heard it from someone else's girlfriend's brother's former roomate's best friend's cousin?

Unless you actually know the man, kindly cram it.

Actually he is a fucking asshole. It's funny because he has no reason to be an asshole. His music is decent at best. His live show is fucking horrible. And he thinks that he is god's gift to music. He is a waste of space as far as I'm concerned.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • rockpantsrockpants Posts: 838
    Songburst wrote:
    Actually he is a fucking asshole. It's funny because he has no reason to be an asshole. His music is decent at best. His live show is fucking horrible. And he thinks that he is god's gift to music. He is a waste of space as far as I'm concerned.

You must know him pretty well in order to be so sure of yourself. I've known him for years, and forged my opinion based on my time with him. Live show horrible? No one in the business (who actually means something) would agree with you. Your baseless attacks are cute, though. I don't care about your opinions of his music, that's subjective, but when you spout off shit about what he thinks of himself without actually knowing him? You're just proving yourself unintelligent and pathetic. Congratulations.

Alright, too many idiots in this thread. You bought into the Asshole persona you were spoonfed (amusingly enough, by Matt himself). You two should get a cookie or something. Very well done, to do as you've been told.
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Matthew Good live is great. Who ever says he isnt is just plain wrong.
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    Matthew Good live is great. Who ever says he isnt is just plain wrong.

Totally agree, don't know what you're listening to if you think his live show sucks.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

rockpants wrote:
    You must know him pretty well in order to be so sure of yourself. I've known him for years, and forged my opinion based on my time with him. Live show horrible? No one in the business (who actually means something) would agree with you. Your baseless attacks are cute, though. I don't care about your opinions of his music, that's subjective, but when you spout off shit about what he thinks of himself without actually knowing him? You're just proving yourself unintelligent and pathetic. Congratulations.

Alright, too many idiots in this thread. You bought into the Asshole persona you were spoonfed (amusingly enough, by Matt himself). You two should get a cookie or something. Very well done, to do as you've been told.

Ya he is a great human being. What a character! He's an asshole plain and simple. And his live show is painful to listen to (although I guess I should say was since I haven't subjected myself to his garbage in a few years). I don't care if he lives or dies, but he'll always be a fucking asshole.
  • gibbitsgibbits Posts: 507
    well this is incredible, CGSITBIYDR is acctually a b side from at least White Light, if not Avalanche, it was played on the WLRRR tour quite a fair bit - still great to hear it finally recorded. Personally I love Matts asshole persona.
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    matt good is hardly an asshole, he is a compassionate human being
    he blogs about the injustices and atrocities happening in the world every day and trys to bring it into people's awareness

what are you basing calling him an asshole off of? personal experience?
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
    Regardless of whether you think he's an asshole or not, he just put up his first single from the new album "Born Losers".....really good stuff.

• mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    *Bump*

Hospital Music will be released tomorrow (July 31)!

For those interested, check out his website to listen to the whole album...
    http://www.matthewgood.org/hospital-music/

So far so good, it's about time.
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    There are SO many musicians that are not the nicest of people. Ryan Adams, Morrissey (more of a diva), Matt Good. But it doesn't mean their music sucks. I happen to think he is amazing. And his live show is good too. I wouldn't associate someones personailty with the love I have for their music. It doesn't really matter to me.
    This is the first time I have actually waited for an album to come out before I listened to it. He did have it streaming on his website. I missed it though.

I can't wait!
    Cock Fight.
  • 7 Kettles7 Kettles Posts: 86
    awesome songwriter for sure....but i agree, he certainly is an asshole. that doesn't really matter too much to me though. i love thom yorke and billy corgan. we all know how they can be....
    they say god makes problems just to see what you can stand ~ elliott smith
  • 7 Kettles wrote:
    awesome songwriter for sure....but i agree, he certainly is an asshole. that doesn't really matter too much to me though. i love thom yorke and billy corgan. we all know how they can be....
    He even joked about selling T-shirt's that said, "I hear Matt Good's still and asshole" on his message board. There's no denying it. I could care less though, because I like the music and thats good enough for me.
  • songburst.. I think you have balls on your chin :D
    the oceans made me, but who came up with love?
    songburst.. I think you have balls on your chin :D

Haha. Balls on my chin or not, Matt Good is a fucking useless prick. The only thing worse than his personality is his music. If you're gonna play the role, you better be something better than a no-talent bum.
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    Songburst wrote:
    Haha. Balls on my chin or not, Matt Good is a fucking useless prick. The only thing worse than his personality is his music. If you're gonna play the role, you better be something better than a no-talent bum.

Pot calling the kettle black.
    Cock Fight.
    Tek Money wrote:
    Pot calling the kettle black.

Care to elaborate?
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    i dont get it... there's been at least 3 or 4 posts about how matt is an asshole by the same person but no story to back it up...

just curious... tell us why hes such an asshole already?
    is it cause hes an arsenal fan?
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
    i dont get it... there's been at least 3 or 4 posts about how matt is an asshole by the same person but no story to back it up...

just curious... tell us why hes such an asshole already?
    is it cause hes an arsenal fan?

Well. I've had the misfortune of seeing the Matthew Good Band live a couple of times and on top of sounding like shit, Matt Good was a just generally a prick to his fans both shows. While that should be enough, here is an actual story to back it up ... I was having beers with Bruce and Christian from I Mother Earth shortly after they toured with the MGB and they both said that after spending a couple of weeks with him, Matt Good was the only person that they actually wished death upon. Apparently Matt Good kept trashing IME every chance he got and he even mocked Bruce for running a kids bass class saying that HE didn't have give guitar lessons to supplement his income, etc. As everyone should know, Matt Good can't hold any one of the guys from IME's balls when it comes to musicianship and to trash one of the guys for running a kids bass lesson = one big A S S H O L E. So I say: fuck you Matt Good. Karma will catch up to eventually and not just in the form of boring songs and garbage live shows.
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Songburst wrote:
    Well. I've had the misfortune of seeing the Matthew Good Band live a couple of times and on top of sounding like shit, Matt Good was a just generally a prick to his fans both shows. While that should be enough, here is an actual story to back it up ... I was having beers with Bruce and Christian from I Mother Earth shortly after they toured with the MGB and they both said that after spending a couple of weeks with him, Matt Good was the only person that they actually wished death upon. Apparently Matt Good kept trashing IME every chance he got and he even mocked Bruce for running a kids bass class saying that HE didn't have give guitar lessons to supplement his income, etc. As everyone should know, Matt Good can't hold any one of the guys from IME's balls when it comes to musicianship and to trash one of the guys for running a kids bass lesson = one big A S S H O L E. So I say: fuck you Matt Good. Karma will catch up to eventually and not just in the form of boring songs and garbage live shows.

You are aware he was recently diagnosed with bipolar disorder right? He's struggled with it his whole life and was only diagnosed in the last year I believe. He said it has had a lot to do with his behavior over the years. He recently went through some very hard times and almost died, so I suppose it could have been that Karma you were talking about.

We all know he can't play guitar like IME but he does write superior melodies and lyrics IMO. Matthew Good will never win a guitar duel but he certainly he is certainly musically gifted in other ways.

Have you ever seen one of his live acoustic shows? I've talked to a lot of people who said the MGB sounded like shit live but were totally blown away by the acoustic tour last year. Anyways, I'd highly reccommend taking in a show from this years acoustic tour if you are willing to give his live performances another chance.

Last item of business in my post that is way to long is my take on Hospital Music. IMO it is Matt's best solo work to date. One of the elements I've missed since MGB broke up was the desparation I percieved in his songwriting. Born to Kill, Man of Action, Apparitions... are songs that gave me chills and even though there were a few gems on Avalanche and WLRRR, Hospital Music is the first time he's taken me back to that place in my mind. So I guess you could say I really enjoyed it.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
    i never got tickets to the show in vancouver... guess i should have. but the good thing about matt good is he's like the hip in that i can always count on him coming back soon enough... good ol' canadian boys.
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I love Matthew Good. I heard about him when I was really into Our Lady Peace (pre Gravity era). I heard about a fight the bands had, so I figured I'd check him out. His stuff is awesome, I can't wait till I get out of work so I can get the new album. I just wished he would come to the states sometime
    thunderDAN wrote:
    I love Matthew Good. I heard about him when I was really into Our Lady Peace (pre Gravity era). I heard about a fight the bands had, so I figured I'd check him out. His stuff is awesome, I can't wait till I get out of work so I can get the new album. I just wished he would come to the states sometime
    OLP and Matt Good were fighting?
    RAINE MAIDA doesnt fight?! He's all about peace.... :D
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    OLP and Matt Good were fighting?

Both bands said derogatory things about each other, but nothing every really came of it. It was all talk. Muchmusic and Chart Magazine (Canada's version of Rolling Stone) made a big deal of it at the time and tried to turn it into this huge rock n' roll feud, which I thought was funny. I remember a hilarious interview with the Headstones' Hugh Dillon on Much around that time where they asked him what he thought of the OLP/Matt Good feud, and he replied "I think they both suck equally." Funny stuff.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    thunderDAN wrote:

I'm sure he would go to the USA but it would probably just be you, Matt and like 16 other people there... which is unfortunate.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    MCG wrote:
    I'm sure he would go to the USA but it would probably just be you, Matt and like 16 other people there... which is unfortunate.

I think the only city he would draw well in would be Detroit. I know they play him on the radio there from time to time on 88x(I think). I drive through there from time to time and hear him on the radio there.

oh, and by "draw well" I mean more than 16 people but still less than 200
    I saw him in NYC about 6 or 7 years ago and there was a good crowd. He played the Bowery Ballroom and although it wasn't packed, there were at least a few hundred people there.