Options

New Tool

KeeponJamminKeeponJammin Posts: 20
edited May 2006 in Other Music
I'm feeling disappointed with 10,000 days. There are a few really good songs on here, but to me it's nowhere near as good as AEnima, Lateralus, and Undertow.

Seems like the whole 2nd half of the album is filler.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
    Keep on listening to it, it will get better and better each listen. The first few times I listened to it, I was dissapointed, but after about the 3rd listen, I fell in love.
  • Options
    verb_to_trustverb_to_trust Posts: 178
    don't feel like you have to convince yourself to like this. It is indeed quite lacking.

its an EP with a bunch of filler noise..........and none of the real songs are standouts or really memorable. Thy are jsut ok. Any tool fan who is not a sheep fanboy should be slightly disapointed with this
  • Options
    Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    I'm feeling disappointed with 10,000 days. There are a few really good songs on here, but to me it's nowhere near as good as AEnima, Lateralus, and Undertow.

YOU STARTED THE EXACT SAME THREAD YESTERDAY, WHY NOT JUST BUMP THAT INSTEAD OF AGAIN, MAKING ANOTHER THREAD.

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=188101&highlight=Tool
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    pazmanpazman Posts: 197
    Yeah 10,000 Days is disappointing!

Thanks heavens 'Pearl Jam' is damn brilliant!
    Also the new Gomez album has slipped under the radar. Usual quality from them!

Also Muse have a new one out soon so dont waste time listen to average stuff (10,000 Days) and get into these other albums
    I had it all once I gave it back
  • Options
    Jammin909 wrote:
    YOU STARTED THE EXACT SAME THREAD YESTERDAY, WHY NOT JUST BUMP THAT INSTEAD OF AGAIN, MAKING ANOTHER THREAD.

Actually, my first post was asking what people thought. My second was giving my thoughts so far and how I was finding it disappointing.

I should have probably just bumped the other one, but forgot. Sorry.
  • Options
    10,000 Days isn't dissapointing at all. Sure it's not as good as Lateralus or Aenima, but come on, do you really think they could top those 2 albums?
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    JamnPearl wrote:
    10,000 Days isn't dissapointing at all. Sure it's not as good as Lateralus or Aenima, but come on, do you really think they could top those 2 albums?

the mountain goats do it on a regular basis, so why can't tool?
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    the mountain goats do it on a regular basis, so why can't tool?

Whatever you're smoking, can I have some?
  • Options
    JLukinJLukin Posts: 54
    I agree that in 5 years time you would have thought they could have come up with more music and less filler crap. Although I do love a couple tracks on the album there are really only like 7 songs.

PS- Have you played 'Intension' backwards for the 1st 1:30 ? If you do you will find a little message from Maynard.
    2000 8/3 8/9 8/10 8/12 8/18 8/20 8/21 9/5 10/7 10/8 10/9
    2002 12/8 12/9
    2003 4/11 4/21 4/25 4/26 6/24 7/2 7/3
    2004 9/28 9/29 10/1 10/2 10/3
    2005 9/28
    2006 5/19 5/20 5/22 5/27 5/28 6/23 6/24
    2007 8/5
    2008 6/11 6/12 6/19 6/20
  • Options
    JLukin wrote:
    I agree that in 5 years time you would have thought they could have come up with more music and less filler crap. Although I do love a couple tracks on the album there are really only like 7 songs.

PS- Have you played 'Intension' backwards for the 1st 1:30 ? If you do you will find a little message from Maynard.

How do you play it backward?
  • Options
    JamnPearl wrote:

It is better then Lateralus in my opinion. It took a few spins though. Roseta Stoned is amazing. One of the best Tool songs I have ever heard.
    Casper, WY 06/16/95
    Park City, UT 06/21/98
    Mountain View, CA 06/01/03
    San Diego, CA 07/07/06
    San Francisco, CA 07/15/06
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    It is better then Lateralus in my opinion. It took a few spins though. Roseta Stoned is amazing. One of the best Tool songs I have ever heard.

The actual songs are better than Lateralus, imo, but wheres the quantity. The new Tool album has 6 fuckin songs. Give 4 monkeys 5 years and a million dollar recording studio and they could come up with more quality material.

It didnt take them 5 years to make............ blah blah blah. It doesnt take 5 years for musical growth. Led Zeppelin did it every year.
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    The actual songs are better than Lateralus, imo, but wheres the quantity. The new Tool album has 6 fuckin songs. Give 4 monkeys 5 years and a million dollar recording studio and they could come up with more quality material.

It didnt take them 5 years to make............ blah blah blah. It doesnt take 5 years for musical growth. Led Zeppelin did it every year.

Ok. The songs are longer then normal songs so I guess you can make the arguement that the 6 songs are more like 10 songs. (I am not trying to make an arguement but I have heard this elsewhere) But I can see your point. I actually don't mind the filler songs. Do you like song 10 and beyond on Lateralus? I know many people who don't like the direction Tool has taken. I know of people who bought Lateralus and sold it back as a used CD. In my opinion the new CD is great. My sister saw some of the new songs at Coachella and said they blew her away. She likened it to Pink Floyd.
    Casper, WY 06/16/95
    Park City, UT 06/21/98
    Mountain View, CA 06/01/03
    San Diego, CA 07/07/06
    San Francisco, CA 07/15/06
  • Options
    bluemonkeybluemonkey Posts: 198
    thank you...i can't put up with 8 minutes of just weird noises.no lyrics?!?enough already.5 years,or whatever it took,and half the songs have no lyrics??no thanks...
  • Options
    bluemonkey wrote:
    thank you...i can't put up with 8 minutes of just weird noises.no lyrics?!?enough already.5 years,or whatever it took,and half the songs have no lyrics??no thanks...

agreed. i've never been a big tool fan so i'm probably not the best judge of the new music. i dig 'vicarious' kind of, even though it sounds like something off of lateralus. and 'jambi' and 'the pot' kick a great deal of ass. i totally dig those tracks. other than that.....not much on this album for me to really enjoy. i don't get what all the fuss is about
  • Options
    lukin321lukin321 Charlotte, NC Posts: 864
    I don't understand how everyone is calling the second half of the album filler. I'm assuming everyone is talking about every track after The Pot. Lipan Conjuring and Viginti Tres are really the only filler songs on the record. Lost Keys is a setup for Rosetta Stoned and Intension is a perfect segue into Right In Two. When you look at it that way 10,000 Days actually has less filler tracks than Aenima and Lateralus. And I have to agree with one of the posters above me that Rosetta Stoned is one of the coolest songs Tool has ever released. Once I actually figure out all of the words i'm sure it will be even more badass :)
    9/1/98, 8/9/00, 8/12/00, 4/11/03, 4/12/03, 4/13/03, 4/19/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04, 10/3/04, 10/8/04, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/30/2013, 4/8/2016, 4/9/2016, 4/11/2016, 4/13/2016
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    bluemonkey wrote:

don't put the blame on TOOL because you're too inept to take yourself on a journey without being guided by some one else's words.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    allornoneallornone Posts: 269
    Jammin909 wrote:

Damn, someone is in a pissy mood today - its no big deal dude.
  • Options
    lukin321 wrote:
    When you look at it that way 10,000 Days actually has less filler tracks than Aenima and Lateralus.

jeez...no kidding. I wont argue that theres no "filler" on the record, there obviously is...but theres no more or less than either of the post-Undertow records, and everyone seems quite keen on those. And Intension is a distinctly different song from Right in Two...they dovetail, yes; but they're two distinct entities.

Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Well, despite your attempt to preempt valid opposition to your statement, it *didn't* take them five years. And Zeppelin's early full length's had eight and nine fucking songs, which is one-to-two songs more than this record, at half the length. That's a retardo comparison to make.
    "Many of Pearl Jam's most loyal fans are teenagers who do not have the money to pay the $50 or more that is often charged today for tickets to a popular concert...we have made a conscious decision that we do not want to put the price of our concerts out of the reach of many of our fans." 6/94
  • Options
    don't put the blame on TOOL because you're too inept to take yourself on a journey without being guided by some one else's words.

inept? just because i don't appreciate pretentious, moody bullshit by a band that has put out 4 albums that all sound the same?
  • Options
    by a band that has put out 4 albums that all sound the same?

• Options
    Obscured1Obscured1 Posts: 56
    Intension and Right in Two do it for me. The 2nd half of the album is filler material, WHAT???
  • Options
    dirtdirt Posts: 398
    I don't think any track on any Tool album is filler. I think they take a different approach than most. If you want catchy riffs and accessible lyrics for every single song there are lots of other bands to check out.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Options
    inept? just because i don't appreciate pretentious, moody bullshit by a band that has put out 4 albums that all sound the same?

no.
    it's that it seems that you were dismissive of music that isn't accompanied by words. whether you can appreciate music without words, i don't know. whether you like TOOL, i don't care. i was being more general than specifically applying it to TOOL.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    If they hadn't taken so much time in between albums, I don't know if this is how the album would've turned out. I mean.. 5 years is a long time between albums, and I know that was how much time was between Ænima and Lateralus, but I think that was also mainly because he wasn't fully immersed in APC yet? I just think the new Tool album has more of an APC sound than Tool sound. Sadly, I have only given the cd 1 spin and heard most of it in someone else's car... yes I should give it another chance, in which I will, but lately (due to the nice weather), I haven't been feeling Tool at all. It'll prolly be during the winter when I listen to it next, or possibly a night when I'm pissed to the max, but that's a rarity.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Options
    here's how i listen to TOOL.
    i lie on my bed with the lights out. late at night. burn a little incense. put my headphones on and let everything else drift away. my mind is totally occupied with what it's hearing. so of course it'll hear it differently than if i was on a train during rush hour. i have never believed that TOOL were a band you could listen to without giving them your whole attention.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    i lie on my bed with the lights out. late at night. burn a little incense. put my headphones on and let everything else drift away. my mind is totally occupied with what it's hearing. so of course it'll hear it differently than if i was on a train during rush hour. i have never believed that TOOL were a band you could listen to without giving them your whole attention.

This is a great way to listen to Tool. I think you nailed it!

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • Options
    KricketKricket Posts: 707

Yah I've found that TOOL albums are great to listen to that way, especially with a new album.

Seeing them tonight in Detroit!
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    ahh its great

every album is different and experimental, you cant get bored of it!
  • Options
    Matt8townsendMatt8townsend Posts: 112
    don't feel like you have to convince yourself to like this. It is indeed quite lacking.

its an EP with a bunch of filler noise..........and none of the real songs are standouts or really memorable. Thy are jsut ok. Any tool fan who is not a sheep fanboy should be slightly disapointed with this

Don't agree its all filler - but yeah it is slightly dissapointing and lacking compared to Lateralus. I find the problem is every track sounds like it's endlessly just building to something that dosn't come - it never breaks into the kind of killer riffs and climactic moments that Lateralus does.