Options

New Tool

KeeponJamminKeeponJammin Posts: 20
edited May 2006 in Other Music
I remember from all the anti-Tool threads that a lot of people on the board were buying this too. For those that have it, what do you think? I'm still getting into it, but it's good so far.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
    It's good...and you might catch hell for not posting this in the "Other Music" forum.
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • Options
    chris2414chris2414 Posts: 1
    I remember from all the anti-Tool threads that a lot of people on the board were buying this too. For those that have it, what do you think? I'm still getting into it, but it's good so far.

I dont like it nearly as much as I did their previous stuff. I think that if you turned the record down and only kinda half paid attention to it, you would think it was all the same song. How it is that it will out sell 'Pearl Jam' is beyond my ability to comprehend.
  • Options
    Starts strong and then....goes little soft & weird
  • Options
    WashMyLoveWashMyLove Posts: 804
    it is awesome album. I can't wait to see them live.
  • Options
    jammerfall wrote:
    It's good...and you might catch hell for not posting this in the "Other Music" forum.

My bad. Looks like it was moved.
  • Options
    chris2414 wrote:
    I dont like it nearly as much as I did their previous stuff. I think that if you turned the record down and only kinda half paid attention to it, you would think it was all the same song. How it is that it will out sell 'Pearl Jam' is beyond my ability to comprehend.

The first single is very strong and should drive sales.
  • Options
    teskeincteskeinc Posts: 840
    song 5 "the pot" may be one of their best songs ever, fucking rocks
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• Options
    JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
    chris2414 wrote:
    How it is that it will out sell 'Pearl Jam' is beyond my ability to comprehend.

Because Tool's fanbase is GIGANTIC, even though it doesn't really seem like it. To top it off, Tool's album probably got about 1/2 the advertising that Pearl Jam's album did. Pretty impressive IMO.
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    just got it today, only on track 7 but i'm really diggin it so far
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    abortedaborted Posts: 31
    i like the song "Right In Two", especially the last few mintues..when it gets all fast and heavy. Best drum performance out of all the songs within the album.

best songs off the album (in my opinion)

1. Wings for Marie 1
    2. Right in Two
    3. 10000 Days (Wings 2)
    4. Jambi
    5. Rosetta Stoned
    6. Vicarious
    I chose living only for seeing
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    I finished the album and i think it's a very strong album. the only song i think could be considered filler is the last song. other than that i loved it!
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    El_Kabong wrote:
    I finished the album and i think it's a very strong album. the only song i think could be considered filler is the last song. other than that i loved it!

I thought that too.

I think jambi is my favorite... I still can't decide.
    Cock Fight.
  • Options
    pazmanpazman Posts: 197
    chris2414 wrote:

Even paying attention i think they all sound the same. This is Lateralus part II for mine.

Its good but not great. Sorta like Riot Act. Good but not great.
    Whereas 'Pearl Jam is brilliant!

You can hardly hear Maynard on some tracks, it really annoys me. On Aenima and Lateralus you could hear Maynard clearly.
    I had it all once I gave it back
  • Options
    EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865
    Anyone listen to The Pot with headphones yet and hear his voice kick in before it gets loud? It almost sounds like he's listening to the cd already in the background and then recording over that just a couple words late. You can hear it in the pause start the next line early as well until the guitars kick in. Almost like he's echoing himself to record it to the music.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,886
    The packaging is superb. Love the 3-D images.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    pazman wrote:
    Even paying attention i think they all sound the same. This is Lateralus part II for mine.

Its good but not great. Sorta like Riot Act. Good but not great.
    Whereas 'Pearl Jam is brilliant!

You can hardly hear Maynard on some tracks, it really annoys me. On Aenima and Lateralus you could hear Maynard clearly.
    I disagree that maynard was always clear. I've always found (and this is a positive point) that maynard's vocals are always mixed far enough into the music that you HAVE to listen to the lyrics clearly to hear what he his saying. this really helps put his lyrics across.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
    EvilMerlin wrote:
    Anyone listen to The Pot with headphones yet and hear his voice kick in before it gets loud? It almost sounds like he's listening to the cd already in the background and then recording over that just a couple words late. You can hear it in the pause start the next line early as well until the guitars kick in. Almost like he's echoing himself to record it to the music.

When I put the cd on my stereo system in my room, I can hear that....though I can't when i'm listening to the cd on headphones.
  • Options
    dirtdirt Posts: 398
    chris2414 wrote:
    I think that if you turned the record down and only kinda half paid attention to it, you would think it was all the same song.

So you're saying that you only enjoy music as background filler?
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Options
    I am totally digging the new Tool! The artwork is some other-level shit. My wife is totally addicted to it. I had to pry it from her hands yesterday when we were in the car. I didn't want her to get "car-sick", which she does very easily.
    Perhaps someday I'll crawl home, beaten, defeated. But not as long as I can make stories out of my heartbreak, beauty out of sorrow.

-Sylvia Plath
  • Options
    pejamrlpejamrl Posts: 35
    Wings for Marie, pt. 1 and 10,000 days (Wings pt. 2) is easily one of the most heartfelt and open lyrics Maynard has ever written. I hate to admit it but it almost moved me to tears. This definetly is an album that takes time to digest.
    Mansfield Sept 16,98'
    Aug 29,30 00'
    Jul 2,3,11 03'
    Boston Sep 28,29 04'
    Borgata Sep 30 05'
    Hartford May 13 06'
    Boston May 24,25 06'
    Mansfield June 28, 30 08'
    Vedder solo tour Aug 1 08'
  • Options
    SGT-DSGT-D Posts: 2
    pejamrl wrote:
    This definetly is an album that takes time to digest.

I agree i have had it since it came out and i am still trying to digest the damn thing. I think this is the most intricate album they have put out to date.
  • Options
    SGT-D wrote:
    I agree i have had it since it came out and i am still trying to digest the damn thing. I think this is the most intricate album they have put out to date.

Yes I agree. I think this may be their best effort.
    Casper, WY 06/16/95
    Park City, UT 06/21/98
    Mountain View, CA 06/01/03
    San Diego, CA 07/07/06
    San Francisco, CA 07/15/06
  • Options

i love Tool, but the new album sucks, sorry...
    "It was a kind of a sick, disturbed rock opera - if Nietzsche were to write a rock opera,"-Jeff Ament about Eddie's first three songs

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough, I'm fine now.
    Push me pull me. See ya later

<present tense inhabiter #0003 & Even Flow psycho #0036>
  • Options
    takingpunchestakingpunches Posts: 107
    "10,000 Days (wings for marie pt 2) " is the best song on this album, no contest
    10/31/99, 10/27/00, 06/01/03, 10/25/03, 07/07/06, 07/09/06, 07/15/06

Even Flow PSYCHO member #0020!!
    myspace.com/takingpunches
  • Options
    InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    I love it. I didn't for a bit after I got it but repeated listens have changed my opinion. At first I thought it was too simple after a record like Lateralus...but the trick is that it isn't more simple it's just more subtle. Good record.
  • Options
    jodijodi Posts: 183
    great cd, sounds very Tool!
    There's a light,... when my baby's in my arms...
    And I know she's reached my heart,... in thin air
  • Options
    depploverdepplover Posts: 189
    i haven't listened to it all.. the single is awesome tho!
    5/09/06, 5/10/06 - FUCKIN AMAZING!!!!
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    I was hoping that they would mix the older stuff with Lateralus, which they did, and while I love the disc it isnt as good as Aenima. Give it 2 more actual songs as good as the worst actual song already on there and it would be close.

Lipan Conjuring and Vigenti Tres are a waste of space. Three of the songs are split into 2(WfM, LK/RS, Intension/Right In Two) and then you have Vicarious, Jambi, and the Pot.

It's not nearly as spectacular as what the likers are makin it out to be, but its not nearly as bad as the people that were let down by would like to think.
  • Options
    harrymanbackharrymanback Posts: 435
    how do the lenses work? any ideas cause i just get a headache.
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • Options
    selfself Posts: 64
    Totally getting into it. the more i listen to it the better it gets! Right in two is just beautiful.